Darnold is NOT a bust

On 11/13/2020 at 6:02 PM, manuvsteal said:

I agree with you, but you're going to get a lot of garbage from most fans for your thoughts.  Most fans look from game to game, and cast judgement.  Lets say Darnold averages 2 or 3 TD's the remainder of the season for the last 7 games which is not out of the question.  Same people saying you are crazy will be commenting Darnold is the future.  I don't know if he is good, great, average, or bad because it's been hard to evaluate him.  The next 7 games should be telling however. 

Seeing as Sam Darnold has only thrown for 3+ TD's four times in his 32 starts, and has sh*t himself on the football field for each of his 2020 starts, I'd call this extremely unlikely.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/13/2020 at 9:45 PM, More Cowbell said:

Flacco is awful. I know Sam has been bad this season but even with as bad as he has played, he has so much more ability than Flacco has at this point.

Yet Flacco played far better on Monday night than Darnold has all season.  Joe Flacco, who is 35 years old and looks completely disinterested in being out there, outplayed Darnold.

This "ability" stuff doesn't matter when you're in year 3 of your career.  Produce or GTFO.  

• Upvote 3

On 11/14/2020 at 5:32 AM, Dunnie said:

... not that I'll give him a pass on that ... but I'm giving him a pass on that.emoji849.png

Sam has looked like a backup most games ... which is where he is headed.

He's looked like a QB3 and has only proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he's better than Luke Falk.

The only thing that will keep him getting QB2 job(s) in this league is that he was a top 5 pick.  And even that won't last.  Mark Sanchez was only a QB3 by the time he got to his 3rd team.  

• Upvote 1

On 11/15/2020 at 1:37 AM, roscoeword said:

Problem with Sam is that he isn't gutsy. He can run (he did it a couple of weeks ago for a TD and showed nice moves and speed), but he never does. And you have to run sometimes if your offense stinks - you have to make plays with your legs to compensate, make something out of nothing once in a while. He never does. When I see Teddy Bridgewater diving around with his reconstructed knee; Fitzpatrick, the gutsiest and gamest qb I ever saw (I know everybody here hates him, but you have to admit he has balls);   I even remember Sanchez running around being a little athletic at the beginning.....   It's surprising that Darnold doesn't ever use his legs, which is a must if you want to extend possessions. Every other qb does it, if they are capable. I thought he didn't do it last year because of the mono, and he was  weak. Now I see, he just isn't a very reckless gutsy type. 

And for good reason.  He can't stay healthy.  You can't run if you aren't built to stay healthy for a full season.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yet Flacco played far better on Monday night than Darnold has all season.  Joe Flacco, who is 35 years old and looks completely disinterested in being out there, outplayed Darnold.

This "ability" stuff doesn't matter when you're in year 3 of your career.  Produce or GTFO.  

In 2 games playing with the same trash WR's (Hogan and Barrios) that Sam has in just about every game, Flacco looked worse than Sam, as a matter of fact he was shut out by the Fins. Could not put up a solitary point. In one game with Mims, Crowder and Perriman, an NFL WR corps as far as talent against a terrible Pat team, he put up numbers. 

So basically unless Flacco has weapons at WR and plays against a horrible defense, he pretty much has sucked worse than Sam. 

9 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

In 2 games playing with the same trash WR's (Hogan and Barrios) that Sam has in just about every game, Flacco looked worse than Sam, as a matter of fact he was shut out by the Fins. Could not put up a solitary point. In one game with Mims, Crowder and Perriman, an NFL WR corps as far as talent against a terrible Pat team, he put up numbers. 

So basically unless Flacco has weapons at WR and plays against a horrible defense, he pretty much has sucked worse than Sam. 

oh wow

• Haha 2

On 11/12/2020 at 6:02 PM, Bugg said:

Bro! Bro? BRO!!!

Wish him no ill, but Darnold isn't it. Flacco playing well with a banged up OL against a well-coached if undermanned Pats team was an indictment. 

To be fair, Flacco played well but then made a crucial mistake when he threw a bomb into double coverage in the 4th quarter with a lead that led to an INT and the Pats coming back and winning the game. He also had a wide open TE in the flat for a safe dump off. If Darnold had me that play, despite playing well the rest of the game, he would have been eviscerated on these forums. 

Do I think Darnold is a bust? That depends on how you define bust. I define it as a player that end ups not working out long term with the team. Looks like Darnold WILL be a bust with the Jets b/c they most likely will draft a QB and will not re-sign him. Does that mean he will be a bust in the NFL? Maybe not. He's still young and could have a Ryan T. type resurgence, Was it completely his fault that he busted with the Jets? Def. not. Was it partially his fault? Def. yes. He simply didn't grow fast enough, wasn't able to put the team on his shoulders.