Joe Douglas drafting James Morgan during the 4th round was absolutely criminal.

He's supposed to be some type of "O-Line Guro" but yet he drafted a 5th year project of a QB in James Morgan, out of a small program (FIU), with an NCAA completion percentage within the 50's; and passed up on an awesome Tyler Biadasz (who many of us loved) out of Wisconsin... How does that even... happen?

Tyler Biadasz was selected as a 3rd-team All-Big Ten selection (2017) before developing into an All-Big 10 First-team selection come both years of 2018 and 2019 and Tyler Biadasz also earned the 'Rimington Trophy' last year; which is only awarded to best Center within the Country

(he could've became our next Mawae/Mangold 3.0). 

I'm sorry but Joe Douglas passing on Tyler Biadasz for JAMES MORGAN was and is still absolutely criminal. 

4th round? A premium pick? And you use it on James Morgan? Wow. 

And you know what else frustrates me about this so called "O-Lineman Guro" outside of letting an undrafted WR gem in Robby Anderson hit the open market and selecting James Morgan lol?

Brian Winters is now Buffalo's starting LG for Josh Allen on a 7-2 Bills team. 

Kelvin Beachum is now Arizona's starting RT for Kyler Murray on a 5-3 Cardinals team. 

Brandon Shell is now Seattle's starting RT for Russell Wilson on a 6-2 Seahawks team. 

And in return JD gave us absolute FA O-Line crap in McGovern, Fant and Andrews. 

In closing. I swear. If we finish 0-16 and draft Trevor Lawrence? I want WOODY to bring in a different head coach (someone like Harbaugh) and a brand new GM too (someone who will actually know what to do with all of our available cap space and not pass up on the next Tyler Biadasz @ Center all for the next 4th round QB in "James Morgan" ).  

Becton falling to him was a great pick. Mims was a great pick too. But JD has been an absolute horrible GM thus far (Frank Gore says hello). 

My rant is over. 

• Upvote 8
  • Thumb Down 20
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 6
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Team that doesn't have a QB drafts a QB.  Outrage ensues.  More on this at 11.

Then why haven't we seen James Morgan on the field yet? During an 0-9 season and we're trotting out an old Joe Flacco? And not this 4th round QB? Wasted pick. 

It's absolutely pathetic to know that JD passed on the Nation's #1 Center for James Morgan. A 5th year college project. Out of FIU. With a career NCAA completion percentage within the 50's. Who can't even see the field on an 0-9 Jets team. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 8

4 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Then why haven't we seen James Morgan on the field yet? During an 0-9 season and we're trotting out an old Joe Flacco? And not this 4th round QB?

It's absolutely pathetic to know that JD passed on the Nation's #1 Center for James Morgan. A 5th year college project. Out of FIU. With a career NCAA completion percentage within the 50's. 

Have you been watching the NFL for like a minute? Has what you just asked for ever happened? The 3rd QB plays instead of the 2nd? Doesn't the 2nd have to be out of the game the before the designate 3rd plays?  

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

C9CEEFA7-0E8D-4414-86DD-658154BCBD93.png

Ok. What's your point? Becton (who I absolutely love) has already missed more than two games. 

Biadasz was the Nation's #1 Center heading into the draft and both of Becton and Biadasz should be our starting LT and Center moving forward as of right now. 

Heck. Even drafting Gabriel Davis WR who went to Buffalo would've been a much better pick for our future offense. 

Morgan was an absolute wasted pick. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, chirorob said:

Shell is starting, true.   But he SUCKS.  I haven't watched the other 2.

Winters is a better RG than GVR

Beachum is a better RT than Fant

the line wasn't actually the problem last year and it's not a problem this year

the line wasn't perfect or even good but all the O-line talk was Darnold jersey buyers looking for a reason to hope 

it's not the line's fault other teams blitz zero all the time. It's sam's fault for not recognizing it, and making throws, as Flacco showed on MNF versus a stout Pats D. 

• Thumb Down 6

3 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Have you been watching the NFL for like a minute? Has what you just asked for ever happened? The 3rd QB plays instead of the 2nd? Doesn't the 2nd have to be out of the game the before the designate 3rd plays?  

You don't draft the 3rd QB during the FOURTH ROUND. 

Just ask both Dallas and Pittsburgh who just walked away from the draft with two starting O-Lineman. 

James Morgan? Lol. 

20 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

He's supposed to be some type of "O-Line Guro" but yet he drafted a 5th year project of a QB in James Morgan, out of a small program (FIU), with an NCAA completion percentage within the 50's; and passed up on an awesome Tyler Biadasz (who many of us loved) out of Wisconsin... How does that even... happen?

Tyler Biadasz was selected as a 3rd-team All-Big Ten selection (2017) before developing into an All-Big 10 First-team selection come both years of 2018 and 2019 and Tyler Biadasz also earned the 'Rimington Trophy' last year; which is only awarded to best Center within the Country

(he could've became our next Mawae/Mangold 3.0). 

I'm sorry but Joe Douglas passing on Tyler Biadasz for JAMES MORGAN was and is still absolutely criminal. 

4th round? A premium pick? And you use it on James Morgan? Wow. 

And you know what else frustrates me about this so called "O-Lineman Guro" outside of letting an undrafted WR gem in Robby Anderson hit the open market and selecting James Morgan lol?

Brian Winters is now Buffalo's starting LG for Josh Allen on a 7-2 Bills team. 

Kelvin Beachum is now Arizona's starting RT for Kyler Murray on a 5-3 Cardinals team. 

Brandon Shell is now Seattle's starting RT for Russell Wilson on a 6-2 Seahawks team. 

And in return JD gave us absolute FA O-Line crap in McGovern, Fant and Andrews. 

In closing. I swear. If we finish 0-16 and draft Trevor Lawrence? I want WOODY to bring in a different head coach (someone like Harbaugh) and a brand new GM too (someone who will actually know what to do with all of our available cap space and not pass up on the next Tyler Biadasz @ Center all for the next 4th round QB in "James Morgan" ).  

Becton falling to him was a great pick. Mims was a great pick too. But JD has been an absolute horrible GM thus far (Frank Gore says hello). 

My rant is over. 

Aren’t the Cowboys QBs going down like dominos because the Oline is all injured? The backups have played like dogsh*t. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, chirorob said:

This is dumb.

Half the board, "you always draft a QB to develop"   Other half, "Never draft a QB"

As for the "Our linemen are on other teams", have you watched them?   Shell is starting, true.   But he SUCKS.  I haven't watched the other 2.

They all SUCK! 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Aren’t the Cowboys QBs going down like dominos because the Oline is all injured? The backups have played like digsh*t. 

another fair point the only reason Tyler is starting is because Joe Looney got hurt and the only reason Looney was starting is because Travis Frederick retired

one could call Tyler Biadasz a starter in the same way Adrien Clarke started games for the 2007 Jets 

he's OC3

• Haha 1

Draft is a crapshoot especially in the 4th and below. also, no GM hits 100%. There are also cap ramifications for this pick. Draft a backup QB and you don't have to pay millions or more for a veteran backup. This team isn't good enough to win with the starting QB, never mind a backup (see flacco); why pay for a high priced QB that sits on the bench. If he progresses in 2 years when we hopefully will be winning, it will be a good investment. If not, it is a loss of a 4th round pick.

There are risks and rewards with all picks. JD was likely thinking long term as you would hope. IMO it wasn't such a bad pick. It is likely whomever we drafted in the 4th wouldn't have made any significant difference in this year's team - not that a solid player/starter is a waste, but the possible rewards exceeds the risk. I hope he pans out, but if not, it was worth the risk.

It was a terrible pick.  Why was it a terrible pick? 

For starters has there been one person on these boards pumping Morgan to be a possible starter next years since Darnold is on the outs?  None. 

You never draft 'backups' you draft guys who you think will be starters, look at most of the backups in this league.  Vets that did not work out as #2 guys elsewhere.

Besides the two olineman mentioned in this thread  (If Clark works out the oilne at this point is not a terrible thing) Wr is the glaring obvious pick along with TE.

The Jets were very weak at WR, MANY other teams double and some tripled dipped in a strong WR draft.  the jets put all their eggs in the mims basket and he got hurt.

Douglas did some good things in his 1st draft but on a team with glaring holes all over the roster (CB's anyone?) he picked a player who they and the fans hope never starts.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

another fair point the only reason Tyler is starting is because Joe Looney got hurt and the only reason Looney was starting is because Travis Frederick retired

one could call Tyler Biadasz a starter in the same way Adrien Clarke started games for the 2007 Jets 

he's OC3

Didn't he get manhandled in their Bowl game last year on many plays? I thought that caused more than a few teams to drop him to 4th/5th rd or off their boards entirely.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Omg Tyler Biadasz was just a bad prospect. I don’t get the obsession with him. It’s like the damn Creed Humphrey hype this year.

Secondly, I don’t hate the call to take a QB. We don’t have a QB, so you take a guy who might be something. Oh well, if you miss on him, it was a fourth round pick. The upside on James Morgan over the upside on Tyler Biadasz isn’t even worth discussing.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

You don't draft the 3rd QB during the FOURTH ROUND. 

Just ask both Dallas and Pittsburgh who just walked away from the draft with two starting O-Lineman. 

James Morgan? Lol. 

That's not the point I was talking about. Flacco is the #2 and Morgan is #3. Flacco is always going to play before Morgan. You asked why hasn't Morgan played instead of Flacco. 

17 minutes ago, chirorob said:

This is dumb.

Half the board, "you always draft a QB to develop"   Other half, "Never draft a QB"

As for the "Our linemen are on other teams", have you watched them?   Shell is starting, true.   But he SUCKS.  I haven't watched the other 2.

Generally agree as I've said that a million times over the years, but in a class where their biggest needs (WR and OL) were so deep?  There were legitimate starting players to be had at both positions and he goes QB3?  If you can get a quality OL or WR who will play (and possibly start) this year, you go with that over a QB3.  

2 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Omg Tyler Biadasz was just a bad prospect. I don’t get the obsession with him. It’s like the damn Creed Humphrey hype this year.

Secondly, I don’t have the call to take a QB. We don’t have a QB, so you take a guy who might be something. Oh well, if you miss on him, it was a fourth round pick. The upside on James Morgan over the upside on Tyler Biadasz isn’t even worth discussing.

A bad prospect?  Biadasz was a legit round 1 prospect before he had an injury that slowed him down as a senior.  He was absolutely worth a gamble in the middle rounds.

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

Didn't he get manhandled in their Bowl game last year on many plays? I thought that caused more than a few teams to drop him to 4th/5th rd or off their boards entirely.

Got absolutely abused. Sprinkle in some injury history to his hip and shoulder and you have a player that plays like a 3rd rounder with the body of a 6th rounder.

Just now, jeremy2020 said:

Yea, no idea why people have a problem with drafting Hackenberg.. ?

I kid.

I hear ya.  But Hackenberg was basically undraftable, with a college profile that never could demonstrate pro success.  If you can't complete 60 % of your throws against Indiana, in 4 attempts, you're not going to do it in the pros.

Rumor had it that Belichick wanted Morgan.  No idea if that's true or not, but it could partly explain why JD jumped on Morgan in rd 4 rather than rd 5.  Maybe Belichick was just "playing" Douglas.  Who knows. 

But either way there's no good reason to hate this pick as much as people do.  Sam Darnold isn't a franchise QB.  We thus had needs at QB1 AND QB2.  And Morgan, while a bit of a lottery ticket, absolutely could have QB1 upside.  

• Upvote 1