Joe Douglas drafting James Morgan during the 4th round was absolutely criminal.

Context is important, any statement on it's own relating to something as complex as the NFL is always going to be an incomplete.

There was nothing wrong with drafting a developmental qb, James Morgan, in the later rounds but for the Jets yes it was wrong. It was wrong on draft day and it is wrong now.  We could have waited a year on drafting a back up given that we had so many other needs on this team. 

If Douglas's free agent oline replacements had worked out it would have been okay. If Douglas's questionable free agent replacement for Robbie Anderson proved us, the Perriman doubters, wrong the Morgan drafting might not have appeared so foolish. Virtually none of the free agents have worked out. This year was always going to be ugly we just did not quite expect 0 & 9 ugly.

Drafting a WR or another oline man in the fourth round might have suggested Douglas was all in on helping Darnold by providing depth at key positions. In retrospect Douglas was hedging his bets and drafting a back up qb in the forth round probably says more about what Douglas actually though of Sam Darnold before the 2020 draft.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Then why haven't we seen James Morgan on the field yet? During an 0-9 season and we're trotting out an old Joe Flacco? And not this 4th round QB? Wasted pick. 

It's absolutely pathetic to know that JD passed on the Nation's #1 Center for James Morgan. A 5th year college project. Out of FIU. With a career NCAA completion percentage within the 50's. Who can't even see the field on an 0-9 Jets team. 

Have you considered that we gave a top 10 Center in the NFL a 4 year contract in Free Agency? I didn't like the Morgan pick but Biadasz wasn't necessarily a home run selection at that point. I would have much preferred a WR in that spot instead,

• Sympathy 1

We have no idea what Morgan is yet. 

I didn't like the Morgan pick at the time because I always want draft picks from my first four rounds to be immediate contributors who can get on the field in their rookie seasons. However, that was when I still held out hope that Darnold was the guy.

Sam sh*tting the bed in his third season makes me want to see Morgan play. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Have you considered that we gave a top 10 Center in the NFL a 4 year contract in Free Agency? I didn't like the Morgan pick but Biadasz wasn't necessarily a home run selection at that point. I would have much preferred a WR in that spot instead,

bla bla bla - would you mind explaining your profile image? I've always seen it as a guy with a massive hammer shaped erection, but I'm not sure that was your intention.

• Haha 1

The real hindsight steal at that point was Onwenu, a sixth round G/T selection by the Pats who is in the offensive rookie of the year race and has been flat out dominant.  Biadasz has been meh.

However, i like the logic behind taking a qb there.  Firstly it’s a salary cap move, which saves a lot of space if he develops into a good backup (backup qbs are expensive).  Secondly you never know, some of these guys develop into future Tony Romos.  It’s almost impossible to predict what rookies become, but JDs strategic planning has been excellent so far.

• Sympathy 1

I was one of those not real happy with drafting a QB in the 4th round on a team with so many holes to fill, but I don't think it was "criminal" to do so. I still think that maybe the major flaw of the draft was not doubling up on OL and WR in the third round. Hey, maybe Davis and/or Zuniga will work out. JD seems to have gone with a philosophy of drafting "a little bit of everything," for better or worse.

Saying, "we should have picked player X or Y in the __ round rather than player Z" is just a classic example of "Monday Morning Quarterbacking," though. You can probably criticize any team in any draft that way.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

bla bla bla - would you mind explaining your profile image? I've always seen it as a guy with a massive hammer shaped erection, but I'm not sure that was your intention.

There was definitely something strange afoot in the recent erection.

A foot perhaps.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

It was a terrible pick.  Why was it a terrible pick? 

For starters has there been one person on these boards pumping Morgan to be a possible starter next years since Darnold is on the outs?  None. 

You never draft 'backups' you draft guys who you think will be starters, look at most of the backups in this league.  Vets that did not work out as #2 guys elsewhere.

Besides the two olineman mentioned in this thread  (If Clark works out the oilne at this point is not a terrible thing) Wr is the glaring obvious pick along with TE.

The Jets were very weak at WR, MANY other teams double and some tripled dipped in a strong WR draft.  the jets put all their eggs in the mims basket and he got hurt.

Douglas did some good things in his 1st draft but on a team with glaring holes all over the roster (CB's anyone?) he picked a player who they and the fans hope never starts.

There haven’t been anyone pounding their fists for Morgan to start next because they’re all in the Lawrence or fields mode.  I think Morgan needs to get a shot if only to find out if he can play in a real game.  There seem to be quite a few mid round QBs who are actually doing well so why not.

As for the whole diadiaz thing, it should be noted that Clark was picked before him and McGovern was already signed to play center. A center this draft was not an area of need.

As for picking another receiver, they weren’t just banking on Mims. They also signed Perriman and had guys like the smith bros.  I don’t think anyone thought they would all be injured at the same time and for extended periods.  In any case, Robbie probably wouldn’t have made much difference had they retained him the way things worked out.

Imo Douglas did a good job his first draft out and hopefully he does equally well in 2021.  The team isn’t going to be remade in one draft. It’s going to take at least 1 and more likely 2 more.  Then we’ll see how to judge Douglas.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Ummmmm Biadasz has been absolutely horrible, like many of us thought he would be.  He gets pushed around easily.

The crime in Morgan is playing Flacco over him.

Where you're allowed to be upset with JD was Davis/Zuniga over Damien Lewis, Lloyd Cushenberry and Solomon Kindley

The Cameron Clark pick is the one that just seems to get a pass and I don’t get why.

Fourth round pick is a pretty hefty draft investment at the guard position. Lewis and Van Roten both signed for three years plus Andrews as depth.

There have been interior OL injuries and he hasn’t gotten onto the field. He needs to be a starter to justify the pick - especially with the other needs.

• WTF? 1

4 minutes ago, derp said:

The Cameron Clark pick is the one that just seems to get a pass and I don’t get why.

Fourth round pick is a pretty hefty draft investment at the guard position. Lewis and Van Roten both signed for three years plus Andrews as depth.

There have been interior OL injuries and he hasn’t gotten onto the field. He needs to be a starter to justify the pick - especially with the other needs.

He could still be a starter down the road - we are only a game past halfway through his rookie season. Too early to go crazy. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, rangerous said:

There haven’t been anyone pounding their fists for Morgan to start next because they’re all in the Lawrence or fields mode.  I think Morgan needs to get a shot if only to find out if he can play in a real game.  There seem to be quite a few mid round QBs who are actually doing well so why not.

As for the whole diadiaz thing, it should be noted that Clark was picked before him and McGovern was already signed to play center. A center this draft was not an area of need.

As for picking another receiver, they weren’t just banking on Mims. They also signed Perriman and had guys like the smith bros.  I don’t think anyone thought they would all be injured at the same time and for extended periods.  In any case, Robbie probably wouldn’t have made much difference had they retained him the way things worked out.

Imo Douglas did a good job his first draft out and hopefully he does equally well in 2021.  The team isn’t going to be remade in one draft. It’s going to take at least 1 and more likely 2 more.  Then we’ll see how to judge Douglas.

They signed perriman for one year so counting on him long term was iffy at best.  they let Robbie go they had a huge need, this was a very good wr draft.  It was a flat out mistake not to double dip in this draft and it will only look worse as time goes on.

Hey I like Douglas and think he has made some very good moves but he blew it picking a QB when we had other positional needs and talent still on the board.

• Upvote 1

NFL DRAFT

2020 NFL Draft prospect James Morgan is built for the spotlight

Published

March 25, 2020
  •  

Though the NFL Draft has a rich history of churning out late-round success stories, the quarterback position has always been among the most fickle. While Tom Brady became the poster child for value found on the third day of the draft, Dak Prescott and Gardner Minshew have followed a similar path in recent years. This year, however, Florida International quarterback James Morgan won’t be sneaking up on anyone in the NFL Draft.

The pro-ready signal-caller has enjoyed a strong pre-draft cycle, impressing in every facet and elevating his performance when the stakes were highest. This story depicts Morgan’s gradual rise to becoming one of the more intriguing passers in the 2020 NFL Draft

Florida International

Paying for a lengthy list of college contacts from a friend who ran a recruiting service, Morgan identified every program that he viewed to be a fit and sent out a mass email. The message detailed his background and included a link to a YouTube highlight tape he made for himself.

Bryn Renner, the recruiting coordinator for Florida International University at the time, eventually opened the email, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Brought in to compete for the starting job, Morgan ultimately surged to the top of FIU’s depth chart in fall camp. In 12 games, the 6-foot-4, 229-pound gunslinger threw for 2,727 yards, 26 touchdowns, and seven interceptions. Leading the Panthers’ to a program-best nine wins, Morgan’s breakout season included back-to-back 300-yard outings against UAB and Middle Tennessee, respectively. With Morgan at the controls, the Panthers led the Conference USA in total points (450) and points per game (34.6) in 2018.

“For me, it was about trying to earn respect with the guys, and not going in there and trying to demand things of them right away,” Morgan said. “I wanted them to see that I’m trying to work as hard as I can to win the job and earn their respect.”

Morgan thrived in his first season in a pro-style offense with spread principles, and went on to experience similar, albeit individual, success as a redshirt senior.

In 12 starts, Morgan passed for 2,585 passing yards and 14 touchdowns against five interceptions. While the promising season ended with a lackluster 6-7 record, Morgan completed 58 percent of his passes and amassed a 128.9 quarterback rating.

Even though his stay at Florida International was brief, the 2019 All-Conference USA honorable mention selection managed to etch his name in the FIU record books, including most touchdown passes in a season (26) and highest passing efficiency in a season (157.6).

East-West Shrine Bowl

Morgan’s name may have appeared on the Senior Bowl watch list entering his senior season, but his next opportunity ultimately came in the form of an invitation to attend the 95th annual East-West Shrine Bowl in St. Petersburg, Florida.

Entering the all-star week with little fanfare, it was evident from the first day of practice that James Morgan was the most physically gifted passer in attendance. While he overwhelmed evaluators with his velocity and ability to seamlessly push the ball down the field, perhaps even more impressive was how instantaneous his chemistry appeared with an unfamiliar grouping of pass catchers.

“My goal going into it was just to compete, man,” Morgan said. “Coming from a non-Power 5 school, that was a great opportunity to showcase what I got against some great competition. I took it one thing at a time, one day at a time, one play at a time. That’s how I handled it and had an absolute blast.”

Morgan’s ascension didn’t stop there, however. In fact, his draft stock continued to soar following an eye-opening performance on the grand stage of the NFL Scouting Combine.

2020 NFL Scouting Combine

A common misconception about the NFL Scouting Combine is that the week-long evaluation solely hinges on the athletic testing, when in reality, it’s merely a small piece to an intricate puzzle.

In Morgan’s case, his week began on Sunday — the moment he landed in Indianapolis.

Orientation kicked off his first day of festivities, followed by extensive interviews with scouts in the evening.

Morgan, among a sea of other prospects, reported to a local hospital the following day, where they underwent a series of tests, including x-rays and bloodwork. The day concluded with another round of interviews.

The next day consisted of more testing, only this time, the players were to enter rooms, where various teams would be conducting their own evaluations. They went through this process roughly six times, with different team doctors in each room. If a team requested a specific examination, the prospect was required to return to the hospital to undergo additional testing. After that, another set of interviews.

Following a week of poking, prodding, and endless interviews, Morgan was afforded his long-awaited opportunity to perform in front of a sizeable audience comprised of next-level evaluators and decision-makers. While Morgan represented himself well in the athletic testing, where he really made waves was in the on-field portion of the evaluation, showcasing his pro-level arm and quick decision-making.

“My mentality going in was that I’d done all the drills a number of times, so I was very confident in that,” Morgan said. “The run stuff, I set things that I wanted to accomplish going into it and felt like I checked off the goals with that. With the throwing, just to go out and have fun and spin it around. I really enjoyed that part of it, it wasn’t something I was nervous about at all.”

NFL Outlook

Many would be hard-pressed to find another signal caller in this class that’s had a more efficient pre-draft process than James Morgan.

Somewhat of an afterthought prior to his Shrine Bowl dominance, Morgan has upped the ante when the stakes were highest, proving to be unflappable in potentially career-altering moments. His arm talent and poise left an impression on evaluators on the field, while his mental makeup, preparation, and unrivaled love for the game likely endeared himself to teams off of it.

Whenever Morgan gets his shot at the next level, don’t expect him to relinquish the chance at becoming Green Bay’s modern-day success story.

“When I take the field for the first time, it’s gonna be about one play at a time,” Morgan said. “Obviously at that point, I’m going to do everything I can to be prepared to go — I want to be like Peyton Manning with that regard. My biggest mentality is just working as hard as you can to be ready to go when the opportunity presents itself.”

Much like Prescott, Minshew, and a slew of others who came before him, Morgan’s opportunity may come sooner than many anticipate.

Andrew DiCecco is PFN’s Senior Draft Analyst. Follow him on Twitter @ADiCeccoNFL. Follow PFN on Twitter @PFN365.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2020-nfl-draft-james-morgan/

The Jets may have needed WR's and OL, but they also needed QB's.  A QB in the 4th round  with Morgan's arm strength is always worth a shot.  This whining about the pick is just silly.

JAMES MORGAN

13 lbs

ANALYST'S REPORTS

Marino

Crabbs

PROS: Sturdy frame and a live arm. There isn't a throw he isn’t capable of making. Can generate the velocity on the football needed to hit deep outs and fit the ball in tight windows. Ball jumps out of his hand. Delivery is quick and efficient. Patient in the pocket but doesn’t take bad sacks. Lets his routes develop and pulls the trigger. Works his progressions and does well to find outlets. Has enough mobility to extend plays and navigate the pocket. Played through a knee injury during his senior season. 

CONS: Base can narrow and his inconsistent platform leads to off-target throws. Has general accuracy. Will make so careless decisions, forcing the ball into places it can’t fit. Believes in his arm to a fault. Touch is often missing from his throws and he needs to find a changeup to go with his fastball. Has never been an overly productive passer. 

BEST TRAIT - Arm Talent

WORST TRAIT - Decision Making, Touch Throws

RED FLAGS - None

Florida International quarterback James Morgan enters the NFL after starting 37 games in college, 13 at Bowling Green before transferring to FIU and starting 24 games. From a size, mobility and arm talent perspective, Morgan absolutely checks the boxes. He has the makeup of an NFL quarterback and the full playbook is open if he’s pulling the trigger. He shows adequate ability under pressure and works the entire field. With that said, Morgan does have room to improve his accuracy, throwing platform and decision making. In addition, he must find the ability to deliver throws and not dial up a rocket on every attempt. Morgan is a high end developmental quarterback prospect given his physical traits. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Ok maybe you guys are right. And I'm overreacting and being a little too hard on JD. 

Mods. Please lock this thread up. I'm just a frustrated fan but yes I now agree; bad idea for a thread. 

Dont let this pack of mongrels rain on your parade.  I would suggest doubling down on your position and launching a shock and awe campaign against the vile Tom shane and his enablers.  The lunatic fringe of JN must be held to account.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Then why haven't we seen James Morgan on the field yet? During an 0-9 season and we're trotting out an old Joe Flacco? And not this 4th round QB? Wasted pick. 

It's absolutely pathetic to know that JD passed on the Nation's #1 Center for James Morgan. A 5th year college project. Out of FIU. With a career NCAA completion percentage within the 50's. Who can't even see the field on an 0-9 Jets team. 

With Sam Darnold and Joe Flacco maybe QB was considered a big need position going into the draft.  Maybe Morgan, who was always a project with upside is actually being protected as part of his development?   Maybe we will see him get some snaps after the bye or at the very end of the season?  A lot of good QB's are actually not thrown into games on bad teams in their rookie year.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

He could still be a starter down the road - we are only a game past halfway through his rookie season. Too early to go crazy. 

Yes, of course. Except quarterback is a way more premium position, actually takes a while to develop, and has more medium term uncertainty on the roster. So I don’t get why the Clark pick gets a pass and Morgan gets panned.

8 minutes ago, derp said:

Yes, of course. Except quarterback is a way more premium position, actually takes a while to develop, and has more medium term uncertainty on the roster. So I don’t get why the Clark pick gets a pass and Morgan gets panned.

Depends  -  different folks have criticized the Morgan pick for different reasons. 

On the night of the draft, I criticized the Morgan pick because I wanted to use our 4th rounder on someone who could immediately contribute and I was still hopeful that Darnold could be the long term solution at QB.

Since Darnold has played very poorly this year (and gotten hurt again), I no longer feel that way and am looking forward to seeing Morgan get a chance to play at some point in the future (next preseason?)

He's supposed to be some type of "O-Line Guro" but yet he drafted a 5th year project of a QB in James Morgan, out of a small program (FIU), with an NCAA completion percentage within the 50's; and passed up on an awesome Tyler Biadasz (who many of us loved) out of Wisconsin... How does that even... happen?
Tyler Biadasz was selected as a 3rd-team All-Big Ten selection (2017) before developing into an All-Big 10 First-team selection come both years of 2018 and 2019 and Tyler Biadasz also earned the 'Rimington Trophy' last year; which is only awarded to best Center within the Country
(he could've became our next Mawae/Mangold 3.0). 
I'm sorry but Joe Douglas passing on Tyler Biadasz for JAMES MORGAN was and is still absolutely criminal. 
4th round? A premium pick? And you use it on James Morgan? Wow. 
And you know what else frustrates me about this so called "O-Lineman Guro" outside of letting an undrafted WR gem in Robby Anderson hit the open market and selecting James Morgan lol?
Brian Winters is now Buffalo's starting LG for Josh Allen on a 7-2 Bills team. 
Kelvin Beachum is now Arizona's starting RT for Kyler Murray on a 5-3 Cardinals team. 
Brandon Shell is now Seattle's starting RT for Russell Wilson on a 6-2 Seahawks team. 
And in return JD gave us absolute FA O-Line crap in McGovern, Fant and Andrews. 
In closing. I swear. If we finish 0-16 and draft Trevor Lawrence? I want WOODY to bring in a different head coach (someone like Harbaugh) and a brand new GM too (someone who will actually know what to do with all of our available cap space and not pass up on the next Tyler Biadasz @ Center all for the next 4th round QB in "James Morgan" ).  
Becton falling to him was a great pick. Mims was a great pick too. But JD has been an absolute horrible GM thus far (Frank Gore says hello). 
My rant is over. 
... and you evaluation of Morgan comes from ???

... and that stellar Oline he let go ... what is the grade you would give them as Jets ??

That's what I thought.

Oh yeah ... and Robbie has how many TDs this season ...???

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Team that doesn't have a QB drafts a QB.  Outrage ensues.  More on this at 11.

What is wrong with you? Did you read his post? We did not need to take a qb in the 4th? Even the most loyal jd fan boys on this forum admit it was a mistake.

What they don’t admit is how the OP points out so far JD has whiffed on his magical o line improvement he promised us 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

30 minutes ago, Biggs said:

With Sam Darnold and Joe Flacco maybe QB was considered a big need position going into the draft.  Maybe Morgan, who was always a project with upside is actually being protected as part of his development?   Maybe we will see him get some snaps after the bye or at the very end of the season?  A lot of good QB's are actually not thrown into games on bad teams in their rookie year.  

Maybe Joe Douglas doesn’t want to play Morgan because he wants the 1st pick in the 2021 draft! ?. All the WRs healthy, line playing better, this kid having some success flinging all over the place ?
You just never know what happens when athletes get their big chance. 

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Depends  -  different folks have criticized the Morgan pick for different reasons. 

On the night of the draft, I criticized the Morgan pick because I wanted to use our 4th rounder on someone who could immediately contribute and I was still hopeful that Darnold could be the long term solution at QB.

Since Darnold has played very poorly this year (and gotten hurt again), I no longer feel that way and am looking forward to seeing Morgan get a chance to play at some point in the future (next preseason?)

And why didn’t you have an issue with Clark as he was blocked when it came to immediate contribution?

1 hour ago, derp said:

Team in need of Offensive Linemen drafts an Offensive Lineman.  Outrage ensues.  More on this at 11.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

If Morgan is the only guy that looks like a bad pick I'll be fine with it.  If two out of Ashtyn Davis, Zuniga and Bryce Hall are eventually every down starters I'm fine with a whiff on Morgan.  But in that group of mid/late rounders if we don't see some of these guys working out well (Cam Clark, Perine, etc.) then the Morgan pick could look very wasteful and be a head scratcher.

In fact, it's already a bit of a head scratcher to me.  Using a 4th round pick for a developmental BACKUP just didn't make much sense on a team with so many needs and depth problems.  And QB is a position that requires experience and real game reps to get better.  The Jets could spend 4 years developing him just to see him walk once he's capable of being a quality backup.

If Douglas and the Jets really thought they might have found a diamond in the rough and that Morgan actually has potential as a starter then we'd need to see him on the field by now.  NE would have been the perfect game to put him under Center 9 weeks into the season.

1 hour ago, JXN_JET said:

JD spent a lot of money on McGovern, he wasn't about to draft another center. Now that pick should have been a guard or a wr but I get why he didn't draft a center.

The free agent OLine moves don't look great in hindsight.  Beggars can't be choosers and the Jets were desperate for help, but it looks like a lot was paid for a pretty mediocre group.  McGovern in particular has been very disappointing.  I think the contracts are good in terms of timeline and the ability to get out of them but we're still likely anchored to several of these guys for at least another year.

The Jets should plan to Draft a Center before the end of Day 2 (Round 3) that could play his first season at Guard next to McGovern and then take that Center job in 2022.