Joe Douglas drafting James Morgan during the 4th round was absolutely criminal.

3 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

So, when will Morgan fulfill JD's dreams of him becoming the Jets QB1, and how long will he hold the title? Should we assume that JD will trade out of the #1 or #2 for a bounty of picks to surround Morgan with?

It's OK to have two potential QB1's on cheap rookie deals on the roster at the same time.  There's no rule against it.  Flip one down the road if they both work out.  

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's OK to have two potential QB1's on cheap rookie deals on the roster at the same time.  There's no rule against it.  Flip one down the road if they both work out.  

Morgan is NOT a potential "QB1" lol

He was a 5 year NCAA QB with a career completion percentage within the 50%'s lol and couldn't make it to the likes of Florida, Florida State, Miami, UCF, USF etc or even anywhere around his home town of Wisconsin so instead he had to settle for a crap football program down here in Florida @ "FIU". 

Future QB1 my ass. 

5 year NCAA career completion percentage in the 50's and a QB for FIU lololololololo

38 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

btw I completely agree with this. It's why I'm not in favor of trading away Darnold until he's had a chance to rehab his value under a new coaching staff (while also allowing Fields/Lawrence to sit for a few games to start next year).

I'm arguing your assertion that Morgan was picked with the expectation of being a QB1. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Imagine being so backed up for a real GM that you're willing to die on this "James Morgan is a QB1" molehill.

It's not a hill I need to die on.  He's made plenty of good decisions so far in his tenure here.  Picking a QB to a QB-needy team won't have been a horrible decision even if he doesn't work out.  I'm good with a GM who takes shots here and there, especially at the most important position on the field. 

If you're going to pick out a midrounder where it makes some actual sense to criticize, might I suggest the Perine selection?  A RB with the upside of Bilal Powell didn't make a ton of sense at the time or in hindsight, and he hasn't looked very good so far.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes JD there is a rule...don’t draft them in the 4th when you can get the same garbage talent in the 6th

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Morgan is NOT a potential "QB1" lol

He was a 5 year NCAA QB with a career completion percentage within the 50%'s lol and couldn't make it to the likes of Florida, Florida State, Miami, UCF, USF etc or even anywhere around his home town of Wisconsin so instead he had to settle for a crap football program down here in Florida @ "FIU". 

Future QB1 my ass. 

5 year NCAA career completion percentage in the 50's and a QB for FIU lololololololo

Jetsfan80 is special.....don’t babble in his insanity 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

btw I completely agree with this. It's why I'm not in favor of trading away Darnold until he's had a chance to rehab his value under a new coaching staff (while also allowing Fields/Lawrence to sit for a few games to start next year).

I'm arguing your assertion that Morgan was picked with the expectation of being a QB1. 

It is nearly impossible for a QB to join a team mid-season and have any sort of impact. The schemes are far too complicated and take an entire off season (or more) for a QB to absorb. Darnold's trade value drops precipitously after training camps start. Remember: he'll be in the final year of his deal. Plus right now, he has added value because Gase is seen as a talent destroyer. What if he (as I suspect he would) looks like the same guy under his 3rd head coach?

JD isn't taking any of these risks and getting cute. Darnold is gone, probably right around the draft.

On 11/13/2020 at 10:31 AM, T0mShane said:

I suppose it’s a good sign that Douglas haters have progressed from “every draft pick sucks!” to “uhhhhhh drafting a project QB in the fourth round instead of this OL guy with bad knees was bad!” 

You do realize becton can’t stay healthy right? Maybe not the right line of attack to support the GM overseeing your 0-9 team

58 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Picking a QB to a QB-needy team won't have been a horrible decision even if he doesn't work out.

Hack begs to differ.

This is the last I’ll say on this because we’re getting nowhere: I have no problem with the line of thinking that says you pick a QB until you get one - with the motive being to actually find one. My entire point in all of this is to say that James Morgan wasn’t selected to be a QB1. If he works himself into one like Kirk Cousins - great. But that’s not why he was selected...not on a team with Darnold on his rookie deal, and not on a team who will be taking either of Lawrence or Fields in April. You said so yourself - he was a mid-round project. The kind of guy you hoped develops into a quality cheap backup for a few years and could potentially be a lottery ticket - not the guy you’re making other moves around. 

If JD did actually pick James Morgan to be his QB1 of the future, then he deserves a ton more criticism than I’m currently giving him. 

59 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If you're going to pick out a midrounder where it makes some actual sense to criticize, might I suggest the Perine selection?  A RB with the upside of Bilal Powell didn't make a ton of sense at the time or in hindsight, and he hasn't looked very good so far.  

Completely agree, and have said as much in other threads. It goes unnoticed because talking about a sh*t RB selection isn’t as sexy as talking about a sh*t QB selection.

17 minutes ago, jgb said:

It is nearly impossible for a QB to join a team mid-season and have any sort of impact. The schemes are far too complicated and take an entire off season (or more) for a QB to absorb. Darnold's trade value drops precipitously after training camps start. Remember: he'll be in the final year of his deal. Plus right now, he has added value because Gase is seen as a talent destroyer. What if he (as I suspect he would) looks like the same guy under his 3rd head coach?

JD isn't taking any of these risks and getting cute. Darnold is gone, probably right around the draft.

What are you projecting to receive for him in April? I’d say a mid rounder. If I’m JD, I hold him, have him start next year. If he plays better, flip him for a second and don’t look back. If he continues to fail, he’ll still return a 6th or 7th in this QB crazed league.

The downside from a 4th to a 6th is marginal - I mean, we’re throwing away picks on backup QBs in the 4th anyway. Alternatively, the difference between a 4th and a 2nd is significant enough to roll that dice.

8 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

What are you projecting to receive for him in April? I’d say a mid rounder. If I’m JD, I hold him, have him start next year. If he plays better, flip him for a second and don’t look back. If he continues to fail, he’ll still return a 6th or 7th in this QB crazed league.

The downside from a 4th to a 6th is marginal - I mean, we’re throwing away picks on backup QBs in the 4th anyway. Alternatively, the difference between a 4th and a 2nd is significant enough to roll that dice.

It's a good question what can we get for him. I think it's pretty obvious now the dreams of getting a 1st are dead. 2nd is rapidly fading as a possibility, as well. 

Right now, an optimistic case could be made for a 3rd, but given Darnold's very bad performance thus far and the fact is will be on his last year, a 4th is probably most likely.

I have to disagree that there is a reasonably possible set of circumstances where Darnold is a Jet at the start of the 2021 season. I guess the big one would be if we somehow pick 3rd or later in the draft and JD doesn't like any of the 2nd tier of QBs. But if we draft Lawrence of Field, I think Darnold is as good as gone. A team that is willing to part with something meaningful is basically paying to get a year of evaluation and first negotiation rights for an extension, if he earns it with his play. If you don't get him into the off season program, it kind of defeats the purpose. A team is better off waiting until he's a FA at that point, signing him on a prove-it deal and doing their eval in 2022.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Hack begs to differ.

Hack was a very different situation.  He was overdrafted by at least 3 rounds and was not a prospect that projected out to any NFL success whatsoever.  There was basically a 0 % chance he'd work out.  That's not the case with Morgan.

13 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

If JD did actually pick James Morgan to be his QB1 of the future, then he deserves a ton more criticism than I’m currently giving him. 

Picking a QB with QB1 upside is very different from picking a QB to be "the guy".  Hackenberg was drafted to be "the guy".  Morgan was not.

Morgan isn't "the guy" but there is still hope he can be a QB1, or at least perhaps we can fool another team out there into thinking he CAN be a QB1.  There's an important distinction there.

• 1 year later...
On 11/14/2020 at 7:44 AM, AFJF said:

Wanted him on day 3.  The guys to go with should've been Bryan Edwards in rd 3 and Gabriel Davis or Tyler Johnson in round 4.

Dammit, Joe D.

Some great takes in this thread.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

That's not how it works in the NFL...as a GM you are accountable for your picks and it's on your ledger....you don't get to blame the coach that got his walking papers. 

Keep spouting nonsense cause JD showed that he could draft well in 2021, just you don't like the truth. But keep up with your agenda, and we'll all have a good laugh.

• Thumb Down 3

2 minutes ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

That's not how it works in the NFL...as a GM you are accountable for your picks and it's on your ledger....you don't get to blame the coach that got his walking papers. 

He got it wrong. He got a lot wrong in 2020 draft. So what? Many teams passed on Davis. 

JDs career is tied to wilson and the 2021 draft class. If he gets the upcoming draft/FA right and wilson makes some strides, only losers will continue to harp on 2020 failures. If he gets it wrong, everyone that hates JD will revel as he's fired at the end of the year. Either way, this will be settled soon.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

Nonsense? The 2020 draft was/is a near disaster and that's the truth. It will set back this team at least another year. Fact.

Nobody said it was great... The truth is that it was drafted for Adam Gase, not the current team.

• Upvote 1

Honestly JD’s make or break draft is this one. If he drafts well again relative to the available talent, it shows that Gase was probably the issue with the first draft. Currently we have a bad draft with Gase as HC and a good one with Saleh as Hc. No way to tell now.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

He got it wrong. He got a lot wrong in 2020 draft. So what? Many teams passed on Davis. 

JDs career is tied to wilson and the 2021 draft class. If he gets the upcoming draft/FA right and wilson makes some strides, only losers will continue to harp on 2020 failures. If he gets it wrong, everyone that hates JD will revel as he's fired at the end of the year. Either way, this will be settled soon.

Fair enough.

7 minutes ago, jetswinbaby! said:

Is Josh Allen throwing to him on the Jets?

Since he isn't, G Davis would be some anonymous bench warmer with 5 total catches in this hideous offense...

Totally beat me to it.  It's amazing how people think the talent/results would just translate right over . . .

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, OCCH23 said:

Totally beat me to it.  It's amazing how people think the talent/results would just translate right over . . .

Equally amazing that people think the only way Davis was going to be a good NFL player was to have Josh Allen as his QB.

• Upvote 2

Just now, AFJF said:

Equally amazing that people think the only way Davis was going to be a good NFL player was to have Josh Allen as his QB.

Quite a jump there, no?  Perhaps he could be great on many teams, but to think this current Jets team is one of them?  We'd be running him out of town before he even had a chance . . .