Zach Wilson

NYJ1

I'm assuming the Jets get the 1st pick. I've never seen a Jets team as bad as the one we're watching this season. 

So if the Jets are picking number 1 is it an absolute must that they take Trevor Lawrence? IMO, the answer is NO? Now I'm NOT suggesting the Jets take Zach Wilson with the 1st pick. That, IMO, would be wasting the equity in the 1st pick. But I must say I really like Zach Wilson. 

Who's to say Joe Douglas couldn't pull off a major coup by trading out of the number 1 pick, accumulating more picks, and still taking Zach Wilson? The latest says Zach Wilson is a mid first round pick.

What do you think of such a plan? Is it so important based on the kind of prospect Trevor Lawrence is that the Jets MUST take him? I like Lawrence, but I don't personally see the next Peyton Manning when I'm looking at him. I just see a good prospect. Same with Zach Wilson.

Now, I do think Trevor Lawrence almost certainly goes number 1 but not necessarily by Joe Douglas. I see more than ever an opportunity to fill a lot of holes on the roster with good, quality young players.

• Upvote 3

I think you have to take whatever QB you have rated highest.  It's just too important of a position.

If Zach Wilson is the guy then absolutely trade down and grab him later.  But if you like Fields or TL better than you have to take him.  

All those extra picks would be amazing but when all's said and done QB is too important to play games with.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

I think you have to take whatever QB you have rated highest.  It's just too important of a position.

If Zach Wilson is the guy then absolutely trade down and grab him later.  But if you like Fields or TL better than you have to take him.  

All those extra picks would be amazing but when all's said and done QB is too important to play games with.

To that end I think the only way you trade down is if you’re taking a huge haul to go from one to two knowing the team moving up is not taking your guy. Can’t risk losing your top quarterback.

• Upvote 1

Just now, derp said:

To that end I think the only way you trade down is if you’re taking a huge haul to go from one to two knowing the team moving up is not taking your guy. Can’t risk losing your top quarterback.

I think it would be pretty hard to move from 1 to 2.

The only scenario I can see is if you really don't care which of the two you get - if you're entirely indifferent and the team at 2 is willing to give you their 2nd or something to move from 2 to 1 - then you can do it.  Otherwise, if you like Fields better you just have to take him.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Well like I said, I like Trevor Lawrence, but I don't see Peyton Manning. He's a great prospect no doubt but so is Wilson. If it were a Peyton Manning type prospect coming out, then that is a MUST pick. But I don't see that in Lawrence. Taking Wilson or Lawrence, the Jets are assuming the same amount of risk IMO.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

Well like I said, I like Trevor Lawrence, but I don't see Peyton Manning. He's a great prospect no doubt but so is Wilson. If it were a Peyton Manning type prospect coming out, then that is a MUST pick. But I don't see that in Lawrence. Taking Wilson or Lawrence, the Jets are assuming the same amount of risk IMO.

I think we're in agreement.  If the Jets see Wilson and Lawrence as the same level prospect, then for sure take the extra picks.

I just doubt the Jets will see it that way.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I think it would be pretty hard to move from 1 to 2.

The only scenario I can see is if you really don't care which of the two you get - if you're entirely indifferent and the team at 2 is willing to give you their 2nd or something to move from 2 to 1 - then you can do it.  Otherwise, if you like Fields better you just have to take him.  

I think if you know you prefer Fields and Jacksonville calls to kick the tires on moving up for Lawrence that’s pretty much the only way you can trade down. Or if Lawrence forces it, or both. 

I cannot see how a team ends up indifferent as to what quarterback they prefer after an entire predraft season. Too much time studying guys not to come to a conclusion and become more entrenched in it. Anything more than a one slot move is too many variables to risk losing whatever guy you prefer.

Realistically the trade talk kind of ignores that teams are going to have some preference and I think overall the idea of a trade is pretty unrealistic.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

I'm assuming the Jets get the 1st pick. I've never seen a Jets team as bad as the one we're watching this season. 

So if the Jets are picking number 1 is it an absolute must that they take Trevor Lawrence? IMO, the answer is NO? Now I'm NOT suggesting the Jets take Zach Wilson with the 1st pick. That, IMO, would be wasting the equity in the 1st pick. But I must say I really like Zach Wilson. 

Who's to say Joe Douglas couldn't pull off a major coup by trading out of the number 1 pick, accumulating more picks, and still taking Zach Wilson? The latest says Zach Wilson is a mid first round pick.

What do you think of such a plan? Is it so important based on the kind of prospect Trevor Lawrence is that the Jets MUST take him? I like Lawrence, but I don't personally see the next Peyton Manning when I'm looking at him. I just see a good prospect. Same with Zach Wilson.

Now, I do think Trevor Lawrence almost certainly goes number 1 but not necessarily by Joe Douglas. I see more than ever an opportunity to fill a lot of holes on the roster with good, quality young players.

The difference between drafting the player you like at QB vs the player you liked second (or third) and the difference between having a player you got with a pick in a trade vs the player you have at that position if you didn't trade (for that pick) is too big to **** around with. 

12 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

The difference between drafting the player you like at QB vs the player you liked second (or third) and the difference between having a player you got with a pick in a trade vs the player you have at that position if you didn't trade (for that pick) is too big to **** around with. 

This is true and is exactly why Big Mac traded three 2nd rounders to position himself to draft Mayfield or Darnold and not get stuck with selecting bewteen Allen, Rosen or Jackson.

• Upvote 1

Zach Wilson is awesome and should be in the conversation with TLaw and Fields for the #1 pick. But I don’t think he’s the right fit for our team. JD is trying to build a tough team similar to the Ravens and Titans. Law seems likely to be his guy.

Wilson on a team like the 49ers or Saints would be awesome though. He could very well be the best QB in this class depending on his situation.

To answer your question though, I say stay at number 1 and pick your QB. Let’s not get cute about it.

• Upvote 1

I could appreciate a scenario of trading down 2x in the draft to QB hungry teams, picking up an absolute massive haul of picks from two different teams, and then picking a QB like Kyle Trask. 

In that scenario you hold onto Darnold for one more year and see what he can do with a really good supporting cast. If Trask beats him out so be it, but it gives Darnold a chance to prove himself while still investing at QB for the future with a really good prospect. Personally I like Trask better than Zach Wilson and anyone not named Lawrence or Fields.

While I don't see us passing on Lawrence (it would probably be risking career suicide for Douglas), I would not complain if Douglas wheels and deals into multiple firsts and seconds for years to come and would appreciate the guts it would take.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BettyBoop said:

I think the more plausible scenario is if the Jets end up with the third or fourth pick, will they try to move back to 10-ish to gain a second rounder and then select Wilson or Mac Jones.

I think it's highly improbable that a team looking for a franchise QB would trade back to do so. History dictates that teams trade up for the QB they want. 

this thread further illustrates maccs incompetence, having given up picks to get “whoever was left because theyre all good arent they?”. at least JD has the likely opportunity of gaining some capital and i dont see him moving off 1 without certainty of getting his guy.

Two of the greatest QB prospects of the last decade at the top of the draft and we would pass on both to take a lesser talent.

Ask the Bears if they would like a do-over on drafting Trubisky instead of Mahomes or Watson.  That's pretty much what I think of this suggestion even though the details are very different. You don't pass on a guy comped to Luck, Mahomes, Elway for draft picks.  No matter how many.

I can live with Fields plus picks instead of Lawrence maybe...but that's as far as it goes.  Anything else should be a one-way ticket to unemployment for any NFL GM.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

18 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Two of the greatest QB prospects of the last decade at the top of the draft and we would pass on both to take a lesser talent.

Ask the Bears if they would like a do-over on drafting Trubisky instead of Mahomes or Watson.  That's pretty much what I think of this suggestion even though the details are very different. You don't pass on a guy comped to Luck, Mahomes, Elway for draft picks.  No matter how many.

I can live with Fields plus picks instead of Lawrence maybe...but that's as far as it goes.  Anything else should be a one-way ticket to unemployment for any NFL GM.

Stop drinking the media hype beverage. No way are these guys close to being in the frame. If Heisman RG3 was in this draft he would definitely go number one over both of these guys.

Edit: Too add on; last year Joe Burrow would strongly be considered number if he were in this draft.

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Stop drinking the media hype beverage. No way are these guys close to being in the frame. If Heisman RG3 was in this draft he would definitely go number one over both of these guys.

Edit: Too add on; last year Joe Burrow would strongly be considered number if he were in this draft.

Wkwkwkw Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Upvote 1

He plays for BYU and has an overall record of 17-9 and was only a 3 star recruit coming out of H.S; **** no!

Trevor Lawrence was a 5 star rectuit and is 76-1 dating back to HS with an NCAA record of 35-1 with two National Championship Game Appearances and the first and only True Freshman QB to win a National Championship since 1985 (the year I was born) of 35 years ago. 

I'd quit watching Football if we traded down for "ZACK WILSON". 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

He plays for BYU and has an overall record of 17-9 and was only a 3 star recruit coming out of H.S; **** no!

Trevor Lawrence was a 5 star rectuit and is 76-1 dating back to HS with an NCAA record of 35-1 with two National Championship Game Appearances and the first and only True Freshman QB to win a National Championship since 1985 (the year I was born) of 35 years ago. 

I'd quit watching Football if we traded down for "ZACK WILSON". 

Thank god you're not calling the shots in KC 

"Mahomes was ranked as the No. 398 prospect in the 2014 recruiting class, according to the 247Sports Composite rankings, which placed him as the No. 29 pro-style quarterback prospect and the No. 82 player in the state of Texas.

Patrick Mahomes' Red Raiders went 13-19. His best season in Lubbock came in 2015, when Texas Tech went 7-5 in the regular season."