Joe Brady and the Carolina Jets

Paradis

3 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Rhule looks alright, but its a bit premature to go around puffing your chest out about the guy. 

Whether or not he becomes a “champion” the argument was Rhule was a proven commodity. The irony is jelly donut thick that we looking at hiring one his people 18 months after saying “we don’t trust you to hire your staff”

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Whether or not he becomes a “champion” the argument was Rhule was a proven commodity. The irony is jelly donut thick that we looking at hiring one his people 18 months after saying “we don’t trust you to hire your staff”

How about have a winning season as an NFL head coach first.

• Haha 2

What did we think of Rhule getting a gift catch and penalty with 8 seconds left, after pissing away his TO's.  One used up for not getting lined up for a FG and having to throw the last one away.  Then wasting time instead of kicking the end of half FG or spiking it to avoid the booth revue that came well after the play and penalty call only to see the play challenged because he didnt spike the ball and having the pass and penalty taken away.  Losing the FG.   If that were a Jets coach this place would have gone crazy, as it should

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

As much as I would love to unite team Rhule-supporters, i think i'd rather see the "Matt who? No way, he's got no NFL coaching ties" crowd stand up

The problem is, its easy to stand up and pound ones chest when you suggest a coach and he works out, just like it is easy to pound your chest and say "this guy sucks!" and he turns out to be bad.

There are so many knowledgeable, excellent quality football people out there.  Sometimes they work, sometimes they do not.  Sometimes they work in specific places, and sometimes they fail in others.

No, Gase was not a good choice.  But who knows what it would look like with Rhule here.  Imagine another first time coach with this roster.  People would be calling for his head.  We already have a RIDICULOUS amount of people suggesting JD is a problem.  This is what happens when you lose for 10 straight years in a city that thinks its the centre of the universe and a media that scrutinizes everything you do.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

21 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

The problem is, its easy to stand up and pound ones chest when you suggest a coach and he works out, just like it is easy to pound your chest and say "this guy sucks!" and he turns out to be bad.

There are so many knowledgeable, excellent quality football people out there.  Sometimes they work, sometimes they do not.  Sometimes they work in specific places, and sometimes they fail in others.

No, Gase was not a good choice.  But who knows what it would look like with Rhule here.  Imagine another first time coach with this roster.  People would be calling for his head.  We already have a RIDICULOUS amount of people suggesting JD is a problem.  This is what happens when you lose for 10 straight years in a city that thinks its the centre of the universe and a media that scrutinizes everything you do.

this premise could apply to anything ever. 

The difference, no one in the industry was clamoring around the notion the Jets hiring Gase or McCarthy (for example).. there were, conversely, a quite who talked about "The Jets would smart (and lucky) to land Rhule. He's the guy" 

It's just like Hackenberg, or Stewart or many head scratchers recently. The obvious was apparent. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Paradis said:

better than 0-9 in yr 2

Different teams, different GM's, different rosters, different injuries.

Gase in Carolina would have the same record, Rhule here would have the same record.  It's about the players. Just ask Bill Belichick.

SAR I

22 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

What’d Rhule get like a $60m contract? Give Brady $70m get him in here 

That would require a pretty extraordinary sales pitch by Douglas to get Brady here.  Assuming Brady has other options, why would he want to come be the HC for the same ownership group that bungled the hiring of his current boss?

21 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

This exact conversation started over a month ago when Brady was first being widely discussed as a HC candidate.

Although, it even really started back in January 2019 given the sheer idiocy of the concept that the team's top choice to be head coach somehow isn't considered qualified to fill his own staff, which is about as self-contradictory as you can get.

Bottom line, the Jets are morons and yet somehow the Chris Johnson / Mike Maccagnan one-two punch were still the dumbest combination imaginable, even for this team.  None of this is particularly breaking news.

But c'mon man, look how good that Gregg Williams defense is!

21 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Rhule looks alright, but its a bit premature to go around puffing your chest out about the guy. 

They gave up 46 points yesterday! I guarantee you the Jets have a better offense next year than the Panthers. 
Macaffrey is starting to breakdown, don’t get me wrong the guy is great but that many carries on a guy his size, the way he takes on tacklers it’s just a matter of time. 

21 hours ago, peebag said:

Yep, that Matt Rhule has won many things.

He beat Penn State in 2015 with Temple, won the AAC in 2016, Big 12 Coach of the Year in 2019, and will most certainly win an NFL playoff game before Adam Gase does. 

Baylor was 1-11 the year before Rhule's arrival.  Temple was 4-7.

22 hours ago, T0mShane said:

IIRC, I settled on Rhule before the Gase hire, then retconned passing on Rhule because of the churchy sh*t. I just remember being meh on all the finalists, but picking Rhule for YOLO reasons. Could be wrong, but I’m not looking up sh*t on a Sunday.

21 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I think it was a video of him delivering a full sermon or something

35-40 % of NFL players identify as evangelical Christians, compared to just 25 % of the general population. 

Your take that this wouldn't play in the league was straight up goofy.  

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

35-40 % of NFL players identify as evangelical Christians, compared to just 25 % of the general population. 

Your take that this wouldn't play in the league was straight up goofy.  

I honestly don’t remember what I said about it specifically. I think(?) my issue with it was that Rhule may be too mushy or some sh*t, but that was in comparison to Gase, who is a serial killer

If we are going to go through this exercise with Rhule we should at least ya the actual information. Rhule never intended to bring Joe Brady here and when the Jets tried to hire him, Joe Brady was nothing more then the assistant OC at LSU. 

Rhule wanted to bring Sean Ryan, the Lions QB coach here as his OC. I have no idea who his DC was gonna be. 

While it appears Rhule is an excellent coach and someone who is certainly better then Gase if he had taken the job we likely would still have Mac as GM which would have been awful. 

Id much rather have JD and a new coach in 2021 then Mac and Rhule. 

21 hours ago, shawn306 said:

About to be 3-7.  Not impressed

Their average point differential is just -3.9 points.  They've been in just about every game they've lost.  Think having Christian McCaffrey in some or all of the 7 games he's missed wouldn't have helped to flip their record a bit?  If they were getting blown out or McCaffrey wasn't arguably the NFL's most dangerous weapon, I'd agree he hasn't shown much yet.  But that really isn't the case.

Keep in mind the 2019 Panthers went 5-11 with McCaffrey available all 16 games.  And meanwhile, Teddy Bridgewater is averaging 7.7 yards per attempt this season, the best he's done in his career to date.

Rhule is legit.  Anyone who actually watches any Panthers games would agree with that statement.  Looking at a W-L record and making a judgment off that is just a clown shoes take at this point.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He beat Penn State in 2015 with Temple, won the AAC in 2016, Big 12 Coach of the Year in 2019, and will most certainly win an NFL playoff game before Adam Gase does. 

Baylor was 1-11 the year before Rhule's arrival.  Temple was 4-7.

Ok, maybe he does well in the NFL, maybe he doesn't.

But let's not anoint him the next Lombardi until he actually does something.

4 minutes ago, peebag said:

Ok, maybe he does well in the NFL, maybe he doesn't.

But let's not anoint him the next Lombardi until he actually does something.

He already is doing something.  He's getting the most anyone ever has out of Teddy Bridgewater and is keeping a team with a terrible roster playing competitive football.

22 hours ago, Paradis said:

As much as I would love to unite team Rhule-supporters, i think i'd rather see the "Matt who? No way, he's got no NFL coaching ties" crowd stand up

We talked about this when it was going on.  We both really wanted rhule and thought it was going to happen, but I'll admit i was sheepish about hiring an unknown college staff.  I think we had both mentioned wanting monken to be the OC, or at least at the time I did, just someone with some more NFL experience.  

We were right to want rhule at the time, but I am unsure if brady would have been the OC the entire time, I think he may have only been the choice now because of how hot a name he was coming off the historic season at LSU.  Either way I agree that its a decision we will be regretting as a franchise for a long time as he has quickly made carolina a very tough gritty respectable team.  

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Robby Anderson failed under Todd Bowles and Adam Gase yet is succeeding with Matt Rhule.

That's a good start.  

Yeah that one touchdown he has is proof he is KILLING it.  He scored more here but will have more yards there.  NOT really sure that's the cross we want to hang on for that proof. 

On 11/15/2020 at 9:27 PM, Paradis said:

Want it so bad. Would be a big moment for Johnsons. To actually admit they were wrong within a reasonable timeframe.

• Sympathy 1