Seattle's '21 1st rounder now 20th overall

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

The last time this football team had any real success it was all started by taking a LT and a C early.

We have a good looking LT ad a bunch of I hopes.  I will be legit disappointment if this team does not use one of its 1st three picks on an olineman.

Build the foundation, hell over build the foundation.  Don't be tempted by the shiny toys.

Brick and Mangold weren't difference makers until we added Alan Faneca. Building an OL isn't an exact science and it's one of the areas where you can build a team by using assets smartly. There is a happy balance between using only 1 third and 1 fifth on OL in five years and using premium picks and huge chunks of cap. 

My concern with how many are looking at this draft is that for after all the talk of "Premium picks and positional value" the fans of this team have become tunnel visioned. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jetster said:

Of course you don’t take a Center if he’s an average Center, have you seen & heard what’s been said about Creed Humphrey? 
He’s a stud! Can move & get to the 2nd level, has tremendous strength & balance in space. 
Mangold was a great Center but he couldn’t pull like Kevin Mawae which in this new NFL is more important based on all the RPO & moving pockets you see in this league. 
Now granted, if we didn’t have 2 firsts & a high 2nd & 3rd with an additional 3rd? Maybe you don’t take the stud Center, but there is going to be another very good player at #33 or #34 if that’s where we’re picking. 
#64 or #65 should be another good player. 
I’m looking long term based on us having 9 picks in 2022, maybe more depending on what happens with Darnold. But the 1st thing this team needs to do is PROTECT whoever the QB is so we can run a damn offense with more efficiency. 

Will he be available in the 6th round?  Pretty sure we have some extra picks then.  :)

In all seriousness though, is he projected to be available at around pick 20?

13 hours ago, section314 said:

Realistically, the hope should be they lose their first playoff game. Minimize the damage.

Right. It would be great if they didn't make it in due to Wilson not being able to carry the entire team for 7 more games, but it's unlikely.  

The good news is it doesn't look like they will have the horses to go the distance. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Brick and Mangold weren't difference makers until we added Alan Faneca. Building an OL isn't an exact science and it's one of the areas where you can build a team by using assets smartly. There is a happy balance between using only 1 third and 1 fifth on OL in five years and using premium picks and huge chunks of cap. 

My concern with how many are looking at this draft is that for after all the talk of "Premium picks and positional value" the fans of this team have become tunnel visioned. 

Nonsense, Faneca was a nice addition but no dbrick and mangold and no success.

And it is more of an exact science than you indicated.  You need to draft a good oline because you almost never get great oline via fa.  It is a different era than even when e got faneca.

• Upvote 2

On 11/15/2020 at 8:17 PM, Jetsbb said:

Joe is going to select a guard over the running back every time

Not sure about a guard. Of course that depends if Clark can push van roten or Lewis. If he does then I could see Douglas go for a right tackle or even center but I could also see the oline players coming in the later rounds too.  IMO they need to use the first round for skill positions.

23 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Nobody really mocked the Jets for this trade. I think a majority thought it was a good move by Douglas 

I think he used "mocked" as predicted, as in where the pick would land, not making fun of us.  I had to read it twice also. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Beerfish said:

And it is more of an exact science than you indicated.  You need to draft a good oline because you almost never get great oline via fa.  It is a different era than even when e got faneca.

With 5 Starters, O line is the largest position group on the team, and considering you can not succeed without a very good O line, the math says most of your picks should over time be on O lineman over any other position group. How this simple fact escaped the attention of Mac is beyond incomprehensible.

Look at the Ravens. In the last 5 drafts they've selected 9 O lineman. Six of those were in the first 4 rounds. In that same time period, the Jets selected 4 O linemen! And 2 were by JD in this past draft -- in the first 4 rounds. In the 4 drafts from 2016 through 2019 the Jets selected TWO O linemen (Edoga Round 3 and Shell Round 5). So, not only was Mac a terrible talent evaluator, he also lacked the basic math skills to understand how to use the draft to accumulate talent to build his roster.

You know how draft evaluators say that you've got to wait 2 or 3 seasons to evaluate a draft?  Well, this is the season we have to pay the piper for Mac's bad drafts. While JD tried to fill holes, he couldn't fix depth. So, throw in injured starting WRs, a cobbled together new O line, a terrible HC, and an underachieving QB --- and you get 0-9.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Yup.  Faneca's don't fall to you anymore.  You're far, far more likely to end up with a Wayne Hunter.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, HessStation said:

Nobody really mocked the Jets for this trade. I think a majority thought it was a good move by Douglas 

What?  A vast majority of talking heads mocked the jets for trading 'their best player.'  And most of them applaude the hawks for getting a 'difference maker'

The whole narrative will change now however.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

What?  A vast majority of talking heads mocked the jets for trading 'their best player.'  And most of them applaude the hawks for getting a 'difference maker'

Besides dumb and dumber Joe an Evan I don’t really recall this. A lot of the smart ones like D Woody applauded it

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

No.  The majority indeed praised Jamal Adams as a player, but they also felt it was a huge package of picks to give up for a Safety, no matter how good.  The easiest comparison was we got about what the Raiders got for Khalil Mack, and no one was arguing Adams > Mack.

They also recognized that Adams was shooting his way out of town, and that Adams being traded was inevitable.  If we had only gotten a single 1st or something like a 2 and a 4 for him, yes, the Jets and Douglas would have been laughed at.  But two 1's and a 3?  That at least made it a "fair deal" for both sides, in the eyes of the media and analysts.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This is pure moonshine. 

I watch everything - The only guys I remember being down on that trade from the Jets perspective were Joe and Evan. The consensus was "Jamal is a really good player but Seattle overpaid. Also, Jamal wanted out anyway and openly wanted to be a Cowboy last season." 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

With 5 Starters, O line is the largest position group on the team, and considering you can not succeed without a very good O line, the math says most of your picks should over time be on O lineman over any other position group. How this simple fact escaped the attention of Mac is beyond incomprehensible.

Look at the Ravens. In the last 5 drafts they've selected 9 O lineman. Six of those were in the first 4 rounds. In that same time period, the Jets selected 4 O linemen! And 2 were by JD in this past draft -- in the first 4 rounds. In the 4 drafts from 2016 through 2019 the Jets selected TWO O linemen (Edoga Round 3 and Shell Round 5). So, not only was Mac a terrible talent evaluator, he also lacked the basic math skills to understand how to use the draft to accumulate talent to build his roster.

You know how draft evaluators say that you've got to wait 2 or 3 seasons to evaluate a draft?  Well, this is the season we have to pay the piper for Mac's bad drafts. While JD tried to fill holes, he couldn't fix depth. So, throw in injured starting WRs, a cobbled together new O line, a terrible HC, and an underachieving QB --- and you get 0-9.

But he was executive of the year in 2015 — lmao that people like you think they know better than professionals. 

• Haha 2

There are 3 players who I'd absolutely love for Trevor Lawrence with our Jamal pick. 

1.) Kyle Pitts. TE. Florida. 

2.) Terrace Marshal Jr. WR. LSU. 

3.) Rondale Moore. WR. Purdue. 

If Seattle falls 15-17ish I believe Kyle Pitts will fall right into our laps. 

Steelers: 9-0. 

Chiefs: 8-1. 

Packers: 7-2. 

Saints: 7-2. 

Bills: 7-3. 

Bucs: 7-3. 

Arizona: 6-3. 

Colts: 6-3. 

Raiders: 6-3. 

Rams: 6-3. 

Dolphins: 6-3. 

Seattle: 6-3. 

Ravens: 6-3. 

Browns: 6-3. 

Titans: 6-3. 

Bears: 5-5. 

Vikings: 4-5. 

Patriots: 4-5. 

Lions: 4-5. 

If Seattle continues to lose as they've lost 3 of 4? Their pick can end up becoming right outside of the top 10. 

Thursday Night: 

Arizona @ Seattle (an Arizona win would start off our week awesome). 

Sunday

Browns (6-3) vs Philly ( 3-5-1). 

Saints (7-2) vs. Falcons (3-6). 

Lions (4-5) vs. Panthers (3-7). Detroit with a win would become yet another 5 lose team begining to hawk Seattle down from behind. 

Jaguars (1-8) vs. Steelers (9-0). Here we can afford to root for Jax and Trevor Lawrence because Seattle isn't catching Pittsburgh to begin with. 

Titans (6-3) @ Ravens (6-3) = wash. 

Patriots (4-5) @ Texans (2-7). I hate to say it, but a N.E win means another team breathing down Seattle's necks while hawking them down (N.E is our biggest threat to Kyle Pitts too). 

Dolphins (6-3) @ Broncos (3-6). I care more about having a great Seattle 1st round pick more than I do Miami of 2020. 

Colts (6-3) vs. Packers (7-2). GB won't miss the playoffs and I'd love to see Indy move a full game ahead of Seattle.

Vikings (4-5) vs. Dallas (2-7). Minny as another 5 loss team looking to hawk a (hopefully) 4 loss Seattle team from behind. 

Raiders (6-3) @ Chiefs (8-1). Raiders creating a full 1.0 game separation here would become A+. 

Monday Night:

Rams (6-3) @ Buccaneers (7-3). Rams as a division rival to Seattle gaining another 1.0 game over Seattle would become A+. 

_______

I want Seattle's pick for Jamal of the 1st round to get closer and closer to a top 10 pick within the worst way. 

• Upvote 1

An interesting adjunct to this question (where will we pick?) is the question about what will Adams average salary be on his next deal?

Given the way things are going I think he may not even end up as the highest paid safety in the league.  Firstly there are the obvious questions about both his durability and his inability to cover anyone,  Not really a secret and not really easily explained away any more.  When those are added to uncertainty about where the salary cap is going to go league wide I have to think he may not get much above $12M per year.

Anyone else revising their opinions about what his market value is going to be?

Is there a disrespect sandwich waiting for him in the off season?

Winter is coming and these thoughts can generate a little warmth.

Just sayin'

@Defense Wins Championships Can you imagine what Hopkins and Fitzgerald will do to that Seattle secondary? Murray's confidence should be through the roof after that Buffalo win. The kid's a "scat back" with a cannon for an arm. If Cards OL can keep Murray upright, I expect Seattle to take a hard "L" tomorrow night! Hoping for "El Presidente" to be exposed on many levels.

• Post of the Week 1

23 minutes ago, EM31 said:

An interesting adjunct to this question (where will we pick?) is the question about what will Adams average salary be on his next deal?

Given the way things are going I think he may not even end up as the highest paid safety in the league.  Firstly there are the obvious questions about both his durability and his inability to cover anyone,  Not really a secret and not really easily explained away any more.  When those are added to uncertainty about where the salary cap is going to go league wide I have to think he may not get much above $12M per year.

Anyone else revising their opinions about what his market value is going to be?

Is there a disrespect sandwich waiting for him in the off season?

Winter is coming and these thoughts can generate a little warmth.

Just sayin'

When he receives his offer from Seattle...... he'll look back and think his best option would have been to take a small hometown discount with the Jets this off season and make $15m AYA with a good portion guaranteed. I'm thinking your $12m is in the ballpark post exposure as a "ME 1st" lockerroom cancer with a limited skillset and he will fire his agent to cover for his idiocy! 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

But he was executive of the year in 2015 — lmao that people like you think they know better than professionals. 

I am assuming irony, but my EQ is pretty low so I am not sure because you didn't include one of these ?. Anyway, it did give me something to think about, and when I think, I also seek information and opinions. I came across this, from the data driven folks at FiveThirtyEight.  

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/is-the-nfl-executive-of-the-year-award-cursed/

SEASON GM TEAM STATUS
2018 Chris Ballard Indianapolis Colts Active
2017 Howie Roseman Philadelphia Eagles Active
2016 Reggie McKenzie Oakland Raiders Fired Dec. 10, 2018
2015 Mike Maccagnan New York Jets Fired May 15, 2019
2014 Jerry Jones Dallas Cowboys Owner
2013 John Dorsey Kansas City Chiefs Fired June 22, 2017
2012 Ryan Grigson Indianapolis Colts Fired Jan. 21, 2017
2011 Trent Baalke San Francisco 49ers Fired Jan. 1, 2016
2010 Scott Pioli Kansas City Chiefs Fired Jan. 4, 2013
2009 Bill Polian Indianapolis Colts Fired Jan. 3 2012

SOURCE: PRO FOOTBALL WRITERS OF AMERICA

It got me wondering whether the vast majority of NFL GM's are really not very special and whether any informed and engaged fan would do just as well, if not better. And, frankly, I believe they would. Some brave team should crowd source all of their major decisions .... draft picks, free agent signings, extending players. This could be rather easily done and the fans would get the team they want. And, frankly, I think they would do a better job than the executives, especially since it is pretty apparent that "executives of the year" are not very good at the job anyway. Plus, there is pseudo-scientific support for my proposition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wisdom_of_Crowds

• Upvote 1

Meanwhile...the Jags get a 4th rounder from Minnesota if Yannick Ngakoue makes the Pro-Bowl.  If he doesn't they get a 5th rounder from Minny.

Apparently Jags fans are organizing a massive online vote for him to the pro-bowl and have recruited Packer, Lions and Bears fans in the mix.

**** the Jags....but I like their moxy.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Meanwhile...the Jags get a 4th rounder from Minnesota if Yannick Ngakoue makes the Pro-Bowl.  If he doesn't they get a 5th rounder from Minny.

Apparently Jags fans are organizing a massive online vote for him to the pro-bowl and have recruited Packer, Lions and Bears fans in the mix.

**** the Jags....but I like their moxy.

Great idea by the fans and terrible idea to have that as part of a trade condition.  If it works that will be the lat time a gm falls for having that part of the trade conditions.

4 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

There are 3 players who I'd absolutely love for Trevor Lawrence with our Jamal pick. 

1.) Kyle Pitts. TE. Florida. 

2.) Terrace Marshal Jr. WR. LSU. 

3.) Rondale Moore. WR. Purdue. 

If Seattle falls 15-17ish I believe Kyle Pitts will fall right into our laps. 

Steelers: 9-0. 

Chiefs: 8-1. 

Packers: 7-2. 

Saints: 7-2. 

Bills: 7-3. 

Bucs: 7-3. 

Arizona: 6-3. 

Colts: 6-3. 

Raiders: 6-3. 

Rams: 6-3. 

Dolphins: 6-3. 

Seattle: 6-3. 

Ravens: 6-3. 

Browns: 6-3. 

Titans: 6-3. 

Bears: 5-5. 

Vikings: 4-5. 

Patriots: 4-5. 

Lions: 4-5. 

If Seattle continues to lose as they've lost 3 of 4? Their pick can end up becoming right outside of the top 10. 

Thursday Night: 

Arizona @ Seattle (an Arizona win would start off our week awesome). 

Sunday

Browns (6-3) vs Philly ( 3-5-1). 

Saints (7-2) vs. Falcons (3-6). 

Lions (4-5) vs. Panthers (3-7). Detroit with a win would become yet another 5 lose team begining to hawk Seattle down from behind. 

Jaguars (1-8) vs. Steelers (9-0). Here we can afford to root for Jax and Trevor Lawrence because Seattle isn't catching Pittsburgh to begin with. 

Titans (6-3) @ Ravens (6-3) = wash. 

Patriots (4-5) @ Texans (2-7). I hate to say it, but a N.E win means another team breathing down Seattle's necks while hawking them down (N.E is our biggest threat to Kyle Pitts too). 

Dolphins (6-3) @ Broncos (3-6). I care more about having a great Seattle 1st round pick more than I do Miami of 2020. 

Colts (6-3) vs. Packers (7-2). GB won't miss the playoffs and I'd love to see Indy move a full game ahead of Seattle.

Vikings (4-5) vs. Dallas (2-7). Minny as another 5 loss team looking to hawk a (hopefully) 4 loss Seattle team from behind. 

Raiders (6-3) @ Chiefs (8-1). Raiders creating a full 1.0 game separation here would become A+. 

Monday Night:

Rams (6-3) @ Buccaneers (7-3). Rams as a division rival to Seattle gaining another 1.0 game over Seattle would become A+. 

_______

I want Seattle's pick for Jamal of the 1st round to get closer and closer to a top 10 pick within the worst way. 

Your draft wishes doesn't fit your avatar