Leonard Fournette

neckdemon

This is a guy I think we should target in the offseason. There's no way he will want to go back to the Bucs so he can continue playing second fiddle to Jones. He will only be 26 with very little mileage on him. he has shown he can play well in this league and is a legit receiving threat as well as a good runner. He can be had at a fairly reasonable salary as well. If Perine shows us anything with his chance to be the main back the rest of this season this could give us a nice RB tandem that won't cost a lot of money. 

2 minutes ago, KRL said:

The LeVeon Bell signing totally makes me against all free agent RB's.  Use our $$$

for pass rush, OLine, WR and CB

Our last FA Level 1 CB signing has me a little gun shy as well. Edge, OLine & WR. Watching Jackson last night (Pats) who leads the league in Int. makes me hopeful that we can develop our CBs

I loved Fornette coming out of school. However, one of the knocks on him is he "plays through a straw" -- i.e. with limited field vision. I haven't done any in-depth analysis or anything but he gets stuffed close to the LOS far too often for someone with his physical gifts. He is the definition of a boom or bust runner -- if he gets free or has one guy to beat he can take it to the house. But he doesn't make smart decisions at the line or when in traffic -- as another scouting report said "he is always the hammer and never the nail." He loves contact and will always choose "initiate" over "evade" -- which gives the defense time to cluster around him and bring him down. This is why -- despite not being known as much of a pass-catcher coming out of school or for his first couple years in the league -- TB is using him mostly as a 3rd down back so that he can overpower individual defenders and try to steamroll to the end zone. Not saying that he wouldn't be useful, just that he would likely need to be complemented by a one-cut back who can get those 4 yards up the gut when you need them.

3 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Our last FA Level 1 CB signing has me a little gun shy as well. Edge, OLine & WR. Watching Jackson last night (Pats) who leads the league in Int. makes me hopeful that we can develop our CBs

Trumaine Johnson wasn't a Level 1 CB.  He was a press system CB2, who could only succeed on a team with an effective pass rush.  Macc just paid him like a man-to-man CB1 for God knows why. 

When Johnson left, Rams fans let out a collective "Meh."

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Trumaine Johnson wasn't a Level 1 CB.  He was a press system CB2, who could only succeed on a team with an effective pass rush.  Macc just paid him like a man-to-man CB1 for God knows why. 

When Johnson left, Rams fans let out a collective "Meh."

The only time Macc ever won a negotiation was when he was negotiating against himself

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, funaz said:

You don't spend any money on RBs You draft one in the 6th round and they will be as good as someone in the first.

RB is 75% oline, 20% QB play, and 5% RB ability. 

That part isn't true but it's definitely not necessary to draft a RB early in the 1st to find a very good one.  A month or so ago I looked at the last 15 years of RBs in the draft and there's no real "sweet spot" for taking RBs, but the 6th round definitely is too long to wait.  The only 6th round or later RBs to succeed in the last 15 years were the following:

• Justin Jackson (Rd 7 - 2018)
  • Chris Carson (Rd 7 - 2017)
  • Latavius Murray (Rd 6 - 2013)
  • Theo Riddick (Rd 6 - 2013)
  • Alfred Morris (Rd 6 - 2012)
  • James Starks (Rd 6 - 2010)
  • Rashad Jennings (Rd 7 - 2009)
  • Justin Forsett (Rd 7 - 2008)
  • Ahmad Bradshaw (Rd 7 - 2007)

Only 9 guys in a 15-year period.  And it's not exactly like anyone above is super impressive outside of perhaps Carson.  Carson is the only one on the list above that was NOT a complimentary back.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That part isn't true but it's definitely not necessary to draft a RB early in the 1st to find a very good one.  A month or so ago I looked at the last 15 years of RBs in the draft and there's no real "sweet spot" for taking RBs, but the 6th round definitely is too long to wait.  The only 6th round or later RBs to succeed in the last 15 years were the following:

• Justin Jackson (Rd 7 - 2018)
  • Chris Carson (Rd 7 - 2017)
  • Latavius Murray (Rd 6 - 2013)
  • Theo Riddick (Rd 6 - 2013)
  • Alfred Morris (Rd 6 - 2012)
  • James Starks (Rd 6 - 2010)
  • Rashad Jennings (Rd 7 - 2009)
  • Justin Forsett (Rd 7 - 2008)
  • Ahmad Bradshaw (Rd 7 - 2007)

Only 9 guys in a 15-year period.  And it's not exactly like anyone above is super impressive outside of perhaps Carson.  Almost everyone on the list above was a complimentary back.  

Higher picks are better for all positions but the opportunity cost isn't worth it for RBs for sure

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, jgb said:

Higher picks are better for all positions but the opportunity cost isn't worth it for RBs for sure

The back end of the 1st makes sense IF you can be sure the guy you're getting is special.  The 5th-year option is intriguing in that light.  It's a really sh*tty place for a RB to get taken, since it means the team has him on cheap team-control for 5 years, but its great for the organization. 

In addition, the 5th year option is cheap for RB's in that range.  For RB's taken in the 21-32 range in 2017, the 5th year option only cost a team about $5.2M.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The back end of the 1st makes sense IF you can be sure the guy you're getting is special.  The 5th-year option is intriguing in that light.  It's a really sh*tty place for a RB to get taken, since it means the team has him on cheap team-control for 5 years, but its great for the organization. 

In addition, the 5th year option is cheap for RB's in that range.  For RB's taken in the 21-32 range in 2017, the 5th year option only cost a team about $5.2M.  

Seems the guys worth it are all studs catching passes out of the backfield these days

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, jgb said:

Seems the guys worth it are all studs catching passes out of the backfield these days

True, but that's a bit of a double-edged sword.  You basically want WR's who wear a RB jersey # and can keep defenses guessing.  But those guys also get hurt a lot, and moreso than your typical "bellcow" type RB.  Even Christian McCaffrey isn't immune.  He's had 2 separate injuries this season, costing him 7 of 10 games.

• Upvote 1

I don't want Fournette he's the same kid who once faked an injury @ LSU and sat out their bowl game in order to "secure the bag" and then later on bragged about how he "still got selected 4th overall"; no thnx.  

And on the offensive side of the ball come free agency I want to see JD splash on a FA WR such as an Allen Robinson or JuJu; 

I love Travis Etienne but with our 1st pick of the 2nd round it's Najee Harris who I'm absolutely in love with and reminds me of a mixture of Derrick Henry/Adrian Peterson/Leonard Fournette (coming out) due to his size and violent style of rushing attack. 

I couldn't imagine Najee rushing the Rock downhill behind Becton lead blocking and running downhill both @ the same time; opposing defenders wouldn't know what hit them after getting steamrolled over and absolutely plowed. 

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

True, but that's a bit of a double-edged sword.  You want WR's who wear a RB jersey #.  But those guys also get hurt a lot.  Even Christian McCaffrey isn't immune.  He's had 2 separate injuries this season.  

Alvin Kamara's usage is pretty textbook how to use these guys. He averages 40-50 carries less than Christian per year. Saints use expendable Latavius Murray to pound out short yardage.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Alvin Kamara's usage is pretty textbook how to use these guys. He averages 40-50 carries less than Christian per year. Saints use expendable Latavius Murray to pound out short yardage.

Yep.  The Panthers don't seem to have that luxury anymore.  Cam Newton used to handle short yardage scenarios.  Now they have an ineffective Mike Davis for that role.  That needs to be a priority for them in the offseason.

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep.  The Panthers don't seem to have that luxury anymore.  Cam Newton used to handle short yardage scenarios.  Now they have an ineffective Mike Davis for that role.  That needs to be a priority for them in the offseason.

Higher on Mike Davis than you are it seems but they can't keep riding Mccaffery like this if they want him around for post season in the future. His touch share is ridiculous.

• Upvote 1