Sam Darnold will not play against Chargers

Mogglez

3 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Posted a few weeks ago that this was coming.

Darnold’s able to play. I think the Jets are still undecided as to what to do with him following the season (trade or try to salvage), but in any scenario they don’t seem to think it makes sense to play him again in 2020.

IR coming, assuming Darnold agrees to it (as opposed to filing a grievance with the union). 

I think you are right

4 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Darnold’s able to play. I think the Jets are still undecided as to what to do with him following the season (trade or try to salvage), but in any scenario they don’t seem to think it makes sense to play him again in 2020.

IR coming, assuming Darnold agrees to it (as opposed to filing a grievance with the union). 

@Saul Goodman I think you are correct. Good post. 

4 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

The unusual thing about this is his comments. I dont think I've ever seen a QB do this...kinda like Manning not wanting to play for the chargers. I don't think this is the jets holding him back but him not wanting to play. 

2 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Maybe Flacco allows the rest of the offense to develop more?

The oline and skill guys could gain valuable experience with a QB who can at least run an offense.

Fine if Joe Flacco is part of the future here. 

But didn't JD waste a 4th round pick on a QB named James Morgan. 

8 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

This.....or Gase is trying to save his own a@@ and stabbed the kid in the back going to Joe D and ownership saying "See how much better my offense is with a good QB". Pure speculation on my part but I would totally believe he could/would do this.

1 minute ago, CTJetsFan said:

This.....or Gase is trying to save his own a@@ and stabbed the kid in the back going to Joe D and ownership saying "See how much better my offense is with a good QB". Pure speculation on my part but I would totally believe he could/would do this.

That won't work. 

Gase was brought here to get the most out of Darnold. He has failed spectacularly at this. 

And the team will continue to lose with or without Darnold. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Fine if Joe Flacco is part of the future here. 

But didn't JD waste a 4th round pick on a QB named James Morgan. 

Morgan could still be part of the future, but what's more important?

Developing him (when the likely starter next season is Sam or some other rookie), or developing the rest of the offense?

If Morgan isn't ready now, playing him could hurt him and the rest of the offense.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Developing him (when the likely starter next season is Sam or some other rookie), or developing the rest of the offense?

If Morgan isn't ready now, playing him could hurt him and the rest of the offense.

I've been on the Morgan bandwagon since the draft. He isn't the kind of QB that will be hurt buy Gase...he has moxie...and a killer drive to win.

As a rival fan I was hoping he wound up on the fins.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Why not see what Morgan or White has to offer instead of Joe Flacco. 

Because Gase is in no mood to do the Jets any favors by evaluating guys for the future and he certainly isn't going to be a mensch because JD or Johnson asks. Another consequence of forced marriages.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

This is fair and probably the best argument for starting Flacco -- getting Mims and Perine more reps in an offense with a "competent" signal caller.

Would still rather see if Morgan has anything.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

Because Gase is in no mood to do the Jets any favors by evaluating guys for the future and he certainly isn't going to be a mensch because JD or Johnson asks. Another consequence of forced marriages.

This was my primary argument for firing Gase at the bye or even earlier.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'm not sure I blame him. He knows his time here is over. I wouldn't risk re-injury for this dumpster fire team either if the clear plan was to replace me at the end of the year.

I mean, if he cares about money he should want to get back out there.  Whichever team Darnold ends up on next season has until May 3, 2021 to decide whether to pay him over 25 million dollars in 2022. 

Even if it's a foregone conclusion that no one is picking up his 5th year option, he's leaving money on the table by not playing.  Playing well in the remaining games could go a long way towards his financial future.

Unless of course he thinks not playing helps his value, which may well be possible.  Perhaps the less opportunities to sh*t himself on the field, the better.

4 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

This is fair and probably the best argument for starting Flacco -- getting Mims and Perine more reps in an offense with a "competent" signal caller.

Would still rather see if Morgan has anything.

Yeah it's probably how I'd play things. 

There's no way Morgan is prepared to play well now.  Sam didn't even get practice reps with the whole starting offense.

A guy in Morgan's position would be a mess out there now.

If the concern is building for next year and helping whatever QB will be the starter next season, then I'd definitely say getting the oline and skill guys legit reps is the most important thing to do.

They can decide which olinemen to replace.  Crowder, Mims and Perriman, who already look good with one week together, can all get on the same page and improve.  Maybe Perine can get some valuable reps and be ready to help the 2021 QB?

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I mean, if he cares about money he should want to get back out there.  Whichever team Darnold ends up on next season has until May 3, 2021 to decide whether to pay him over 25 million dollars in 2022.  

Even if it's a foregone conclusion that no one is picking up his 5th year option, he's leaving money on the table by not playing.  Unless of course he thinks not playing helps his value, which may well be possible.  Perhaps the less opportunities to sh*t himself on the field, the better.

I'm operating under the assumption he's actually injured. Rushing himself back and tearing his labrum or rotator cuff because he takes another big hit is the last thing he should consider.

Let me put it this way -- if he'll actually be 100% in three weeks he should definitely wait three weeks to play.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

Yeah it's probably how I'd play things. 

There's no way Morgan is prepared to play well now.  Sam didn't even get practice reps with the whole starting offense.

A guy in Morgan's position would be a mess out there now.

If the concern is building for next year and helping whatever QB will be the starter next season, then I'd definitely say getting the oline and skill guys legit reps is the most important thing to do.

They can decide which olinemen to replace.  Crowder, Mims and Perriman, who already look good with one week together, can all get on the same page and improve.  Maybe Perine can get some valuable reps and be ready to help the 2021 QB?

You're not wrong, but let's just say the BYE week was a great time to start getting Morgan first team reps if you wanted to go that way and didn't think Darnold would be back.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

You're not wrong, but let's just say the BYE week was a great time to start getting Morgan first team reps if you wanted to go that way and didn't think Darnold would be back.

Gase doesn't care about the 2021 Jets. He's that dude at work on a performance improvement plan who knows he ain't gonna meet its objectives and is just farting on every project he's assigned to until they walk him out.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Gase doesn't care about the 2021 Jets. He's that dude at work who is on a performance improvement plan and knows he ain't gonna meet its objectives and is just farting on every project he's assigned to until they walk him out.

Right, so you call down from up high and tell him what to do. And fire him if he won't do it.

9 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'm operating under the assumption he's actually injured. Rushing himself back and tearing his labrum or rotator cuff because he takes another big hit is the last thing he should consider.

Let me put it this way -- if he'll actually be 100% in three weeks he should definitely wait three weeks to play.

I think he's hurt, but no longer injured.  There's a difference between playing hurt and playing injured.  No one in the NFL is ever 100 % out there.  It's just that some guys need to be at 90+ % to play (Sam Darnold, Jamal Adams) while others can roll at 50-60 %.  

• Upvote 1