Jets Claim Pat Elflein

SR24

Yesssssss (I called it)!

"Omg Yes finally an NFL player released who I'd love to sign. 

I absolutely loved this kid coming out of Ohio State and he earned the Rimington Trophy too; which goes to the NCAA's best Center.

He's only 26 years of age with 43 games (42 starts) under his belt, great size @ 6'3/ 303lbs and a former NFL All-Rookie selection (2017) and can play both Center and Guard position(s). 

Joe Douglas as a former O-Lineman himself MUST sign this Pat Elflein kid!

I'd stick him @ LG (because we already have McGovern @ Center) right next to Becton; and watch these kids maul"

I've been hard on JD for taking a 4th round QB instead of WR/O-Line but he completely just made up for it with the signing of this kid Pat Elflein; thnx you JD!

Edited by Defense Wins Championships
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Seems like every player we sign has either been cut, coming off an injury and was released, or a "project".   At this point in our calamitous (like that?) season, why bother?  Just accept the tank/suck and not bother with these useless signings.

I imagine the hope is that Elflein shows something and then gets signed elsewhere to maybe get us a comp pick out of the deal.

Very unlikely though, since we have to be buyers this free agency by default.  We'll be one of the few teams in the league with significant cap space.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Yesssssss (I called it)!

"Omg Yes finally an NFL player released who I'd love to sign. 

I absolutely loved this kid coming out of Ohio State and he earned the Rimington Trophy too; which goes to the NCAA's best Center.

He's only 26 years of age with 43 games (42 starts) under his belt, great size @ 6'3/ 303lbs and a former NFL All-Rookie selection (2017) and can play both Center and Guard position(s). 

Joe Douglas as a former O-Lineman himself MUST sign this Pat Elflein kid!

I'd stick him @ LG (because we already have McGovern @ Center) right next to Becton; and watch these kids maul"

I've been hard on JD for taking a 4th round QB instead of WR/O-Line but he completely just made up for it with the signing of this kid Pat Elflein; thnx you JD!

Phew, that is a relief ?

• Haha 2

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

I imagine the hope is that Elflein shows something and then gets signed elsewhere to maybe get us a comp pick out of the deal.

Very unlikely, since we have to be buyers this free agency by default.  We'll be one of the few teams in the league with significant cap space.

If that's the eventual outcome, then fine.  I don't mean to harp.  But we are constantly shopping for players in bargain bins.

Just now, munchmemory said:

If that's the eventual outcome, then fine.  I don't mean to harp.  But we are constantly shopping for players in bargain bins.

Barring massive, Macc-esque overpays, that's all you get when you're an awful franchise.  

Hit on our draft picks, especially at QB, and that will start to shift.  Overpays will no longer be necessary.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Seems like every player we sign has either been cut, coming off an injury and was released, or a "project".   At this point in our calamitous (like that?) season, why bother?  Just accept the tank/suck and not bother with these useless signings.

Yes, but there are going to only be players like that out there right now and with 7 games, though they are meaningless towards playoff standings, they are meaningful to groom/evaluate younger players even though they would be playing for a different HC next year.

• Upvote 3