Jets Claim Pat Elflein

SR24

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Thanks.  Brain fart.  Poin still stands though.  Premium pick who got moved and cut.  Teams don't do that if guys are playing well.

The point is absolutely correct. It's rare that these situations work out. But there is no risk so give it a go.  Every now and then a unicorn can be found.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

People saying this guy has been good?  Yes, because that's what NFL teams do.  They take their first round picks who play well, make them switch positions and then cut them.

Per PFF, he has allowed 102 QB pressures and 17 sacks in 44 games. 

* 3rd round pick

But point taken.  Still worth a shot.

• Upvote 1

Jets claimed G Pat Elflein off waivers from the Vikings.

Elflein started for the Vikings in Week 1 but was expendable in order to continue rookie Ezra Cleveland's ongoing development on Minnesota's interior; the team also saved $878,294 by moving on. Elflein will instead compete off the bench for the Jets' o-line, which ranks 28th-overall in Football Outsiders' Adjusted Sack Rate metric.

• Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The big butt avatar guy is Savage

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

I remember during the Zoom live draft I was screaming for Jerry Jeudy and you were screaming Becton; I compliment you because dreaming of Trevor Lawrence already having a Franchise LT in place in Becton truly gives me hope for our offensive future with QB/LT as A+ prospects. 

I already can't wait until 2021's live draft JN Zoom meeting I had so much fun this past draft with you guys. Fair warning: I'm going to be screaming Kyle Pitts of FL/Terrace Marshall Jr of LSU/Rondale Moore of Purdue; I absolutely love all 3 offensive playmaking pass catching weapons. 

@bitonti 

Who were all of our JN posters who participated in our 2020 zoom draft? I can't recall their user names but I thought all of you guys were awesome and you most definitely calmed me down with Becton after passing on Jeudy/Lamb. 

I promise not to have a draft day meltdown and banned for many of months on draft night this time lol I was suspended due to posting on the board (going after Jamal haters) but throughout Zoom I was a class act stand up Jet fan lolo

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I remember during the Zoom live draft I was screaming for Jerry Jeudy and you were screaming Becton; I compliment you because dreaming of Trevor Lawrence already having a Franchise LT in place in Becton truly gives me hope for our offensive future with QB/LT as A+ prospects. 

I already can't wait until 2021's live draft JN Zoom meeting I had so much fun this past draft with you guys. Fair warning: I'm going to be screaming Kyle Pitts of FL/Terrace Marshall Jr of LSU/Rondale Moore of Purdue; I absolutely love all 3 offensive playmaking pass catching weapons. 

@bitonti 

Who were all of our JN posters who participated in our 2020 zoom draft? I can't recall their user names but I thought all of you guys were awesome and you most definitely calmed me down with Becton after passing on Jeudy/Lamb. 

I promise not to have a draft day meltdown and banned for many of months on draft night this time lol I was suspended due to posting on the board (going after Jamal haters) but throughout Zoom I was a class act stand up Jet fan lolo

Serious question, if you don't want to answer, I understand... I'm just really curious.

How old are you?

You're always talking about an older brother, the way a youngster does, so I wanted to say about 15, but then you posted about being on Jet boards for many years, so I'll guess early 20's?

I get a kick out of your posting style though. It's pretty frantic. You're all over the place. It's the equivalent of listening to someone talk and talk without stopping to breathe, LOL.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Jets claimed G Pat Elflein off waivers from the Vikings.

Elflein started for the Vikings in Week 1 but was expendable in order to continue rookie Ezra Cleveland's ongoing development on Minnesota's interior; the team also saved $878,294 by moving on. Elflein will instead compete off the bench for the Jets' o-line, which ranks 28th-overall in Football Outsiders' Adjusted Sack Rate metric.

Millions of FA $$$

1st and 4th round draft picks.

But at least we got some return on that investment and improved from 31st to 28th in protecting the QB. 

3 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

@bitonti 

I was there. Good times!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

Please tell me... Is DWC older than Sam Darnold? 

I'm 12 years older than Sam Darnold. I was watching the 1998 AFC Championship Game when he was only 1 years old (me 13 as an already crazed sports fan back then). 

1998 was the first and only time the last time I ever cried over a Jets loss. Real tears. It wasn't because of the loss it was because I missed my grandfather who had recently passed away telling me and my older brother stories about his throwback Jets and legendary stories of those players while watching the full game of SB3 down in the basement (so many times). As a 13 yo boy I was convinced that my Gramps would make our Jets go back to the Super Bowl from up above in Heaven and after the Denver loss I really missed having him tell me we'll be back next year to repeat 1968-1969 all over again. I realized on that day watching the Jets without him would never be the same however I'm thankful for my older brother (now 51) because we've never not watched a Jets game together. We always link up on Sunday's it's a family tradition just me and my older brother. 

Yes. I'm older than Sam Darnold. 

And if we don't win an NFL SB within my older brothers lifetime I'll never watch another Jets game again (I hope he lives until 100+) because I won't watch them play alone by myself because truth be told I want the Jets to win more for my big brother than myself to celebrate the Jets together because I couldn't imagine watching a SB victory without the man who raised me alongside of me. 

Sorry. Talking about my age (35) brings me back to my childhood days. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

In a season that has not provided football excitement, it actually moved a little bit with this signing.  Loved this player coming out of Ohio State and was hoping the Jets would draft him to be the next great center after Mangold retired.  While his career has not taken off as expected, Im hoping he becomes the player I think he can be with the Jets.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 11/16/2020 at 5:17 PM, AFJF said:

People saying this guy has been good?  Yes, because that's what NFL teams do.  They take their first round picks who play well, make them switch positions and then cut them.

Per PFF, he has allowed 102 QB pressures and 17 sacks in 44 games. 

There is a flipside to this argument.  You don't give up all those pressures and sacks without being on the field, so presumably he deserved some run.  Not to say he is good, but a bad starter on the Vikings will almost by default be better than the end of roster guys on the Jets.  

On 11/16/2020 at 7:08 PM, 14 in Green said:

On the contrary. Everyone except @Defense Wins Championships is saying he's terrible.

I don't know a thing about him, but I do know I'm done getting excited about Douglas picking up other teams trash. 

Excited?  Not sure why mid-season waiver pickups would ever get you excited, but the Jets have gotten some solid players this way.  Basham for one.  I think Franklin-Myers, Vyncint Smith and Berrios fit in with this group. I think  Jordan Willis is a guy I liked that did nothing here, but presumably his trade warranted a move up in draft pick value.  I have liked the Ballentine and Jaleel Scott pickups.  You are looking for contributors with these moves, not guys that are going to turn around an 0-9 season.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

By the way the player who took Pat Elfleins job?

Dakota Dozier

Thanks, Idzik. 

On 11/17/2020 at 12:22 AM, Defense Wins Championships said:

I'm 12 years older than Sam Darnold. I was watching the 1998 AFC Championship Game when he was only 1 years old (me 13 as an already crazed sports fan back then). 

1998 was the first and only time the last time I ever cried over a Jets loss. Real tears. It wasn't because of the loss it was because I missed my grandfather who had recently passed away telling me and my older brother stories about his throwback Jets and legendary stories of those players while watching the full game of SB3 down in the basement (so many times). As a 13 yo boy I was convinced that my Gramps would make our Jets go back to the Super Bowl from up above in Heaven and after the Denver loss I really missed having him tell me we'll be back next year to repeat 1968-1969 all over again. I realized on that day watching the Jets without him would never be the same however I'm thankful for my older brother (now 51) because we've never not watched a Jets game together. We always link up on Sunday's it's a family tradition just me and my older brother. 

Yes. I'm older than Sam Darnold. 

And if we don't win an NFL SB within my older brothers lifetime I'll never watch another Jets game again (I hope he lives until 100+) because I won't watch them play alone by myself because truth be told I want the Jets to win more for my big brother than myself to celebrate the Jets together because I couldn't imagine watching a SB victory without the man who raised me alongside of me. 

Sorry. Talking about my age (35) brings me back to my childhood days. 

When you were a dolphins fan. Cool story bro

• Thumb Down 1

On 11/16/2020 at 5:08 PM, HessStation said:

Fwiw, Elflein had a really good rookie year at C and broke his ankle messed up his knee, been pushed to LG and RG last two years etc etc.

if healthy talented starter capabilities ie really good risk/reward pu

Yep. Had a down year in his second season when he came back from injury, then the Vikes took Garrett Bradbury in the 1st round in 2019 and shifted Elflein to G

Interestingly, Elflein was drafted with a pick the Jets traded to the Vikings in 2017 (they netted Ardarius Stewart and another pick they traded for the picks that became Dylan Donohue and Elijah McGuire)