Don’t looks now but Joe Douglas former team is in worse shape than the Jets

GreekJet

Look at their roster-its an absolute disaster and they are going to be cap hell next year. Reminds me a lot of the Jets situation after the 2011 season. 

They also have a QB that is making a ton of money who has clearly regressed as the talent around him has dwindled. 

If the Eagles make any of their good players available (Ertz, Kelce, Lane Johnson, Brooks, Cox) the Jets should be in position to poach. 

• Sympathy 1

It’s going to be tough for them to get under the cap. They’ll be able to carry the cap saving from this year. But that still leaves them $40M over the cap.

Dereck Barnett will likely be available. He’ll save them $10M. Then maybe they’ll restructure the hell out of some contracts.

54 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

Look at their roster-its an absolute disaster and they are going to be cap hell next year. Reminds me a lot of the Jets situation after the 2011 season. 

They also have a QB that is making a ton of money who has clearly regressed as the talent around him has dwindled. 

If the Eagles make any of their good players available (Ertz, Kelce, Lane Johnson, Brooks, Cox) the Jets should be in position to poach. 

Be better than the Eagles? As sad as that team may be, we're not even close.

The Jets aren't bad. They're epic bad.

• Upvote 2

Just now, jgb said:

Love these "snapshot in time" hot takes. It doesn't work that way, franchises ebb and flow. You can't cherry pick the lows and condemn the franchise's decision-making. You have to consider the bitter with the sweet.

Exactly, the Eagles have been the best team at working free agency. It got them to the Super Bowl and to the playoffs consistently. They need to retool after their success. They have 1 or 2 years to give Pederson talent and do it all over again. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, kevinc855 said:

JD is Jesus Christ didn’t you know?

and so is Trevor? 

Better catch up with this forum Before they ban ya 

Savior, no. But there are 100 roads to a championship and 95 of them start with a good QB. If we get one, we open up a whole different future for this franchise.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Be better than the Eagles? As sad as that team may be, we're not even close.

The Jets aren't bad. They're epic bad.

I actually don’t think the rosters are that much different. In fact I think the Jets may have more talent. 

If Gase was coaching the Eagles they are probably 1-8/0-9. 

7 hours ago, jgb said:

Love these "snapshot in time" hot takes. It doesn't work that way, franchises ebb and flow. You can't cherry pick a low, stop the clock, and declare the franchise a joke. You have to consider the bitter with the sweet.

There are guys on this board that would take REX instead, talk about drinking the kool aid. 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Eagles have been terrible at drafting for like 4 years now. They have to put it all together but Howie Roseman is a cap guru and Doug Pederson is a top 10 coach in the league. They’ll figure it out.

Top 10 coach in which league?

Their OL is aging.  Wentz is an egg who hasn’t been the same since the ACL injury and the hurts draft pick was dumb

why do  nflcoaches keep thinking they can revive the wildcat?

9 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Who are the ten-plus guys you’d put above him?

Below is just a list of veteran (Vrabel is not veteran, but it would be hard to shoot holes in him) coaches I can consider better. I could also include younger coaches (Reich, Shanahan, LaFleur, Kingsbury, Flores, Rhule) that I personally believe are better than Pederson, but it would be easier to shoot holes in those. This is of course all subjective.

Belichick

Reid

Carroll

Payton

Harbaugh

Tomlin

McVay

Zimmer

Vrabel

Gruden

Rivera

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Playoffs 3 out 4 seasons, 2 division titles, a Super Bowl, had his entire offensive staff hired away from him. Revolving door of WRs, bad drafting and injuries are ravaging his team and he’ll probably still win his division this season. He’s underrated at this point and I’m not sure why.

I have a front row seat to the Eagles every week and I watch the majority of their games (DVR when they are opposite the Jets), so that I can talk football with my friends about their local team.

Pederson is stubborn, overly relies on analytics, is a horrible game day manager and has a top qb that has regressed under his direct tutelage.

Wentz was thriving when Frank Reich was coordinator there, and it appears was the biggest contributor to that squad. Reich left after the Super Bowl.

You know how Jets fans feel the division title for the Patriots was paved by an easy peasy division? The Eagles have had the same in recent years.

Give Pederson credit in that he managed a SB team. But I would want him no where near a Jet rebuild.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, jgb said:

Love these "snapshot in time" hot takes. It doesn't work that way, franchises ebb and flow. You can't cherry pick a low, stop the clock, and declare the franchise a joke. You have to consider the bitter with the sweet.

You have to consider the bitter with the sweet, huh. This isn't a culinary competition where we pit savory against sweet, sweet against salty, and bitter against sweet. As a Jets fan I'm just going to pour this whole bottle of Campari over this bowl of Broccoli Rabe and top it off with some burnt garlic. Taste test . . . still not bitter enough.

Yeah, so I heard on the radio yesterday (ESPN?) that there was a poll amongst Eagles fans on Phiily radio about who is most at fault for the Eagles loss to the Giants. 72% said coaching and want to kick Doug Pederson in his ass.

You know, I get it, I get it, the dissatisfaction and all of that and that somewhere, someplace, Dick Vermeil is crying; but when I hear the fans of other teams who have had their handful of SB appearances (3 times for the Eagles, one win), it's a tough sell to garner sympathy OR empathy from me. Welcome to Shi ttsville, because this sure ain't Willoughby.

I always go back to the same thing, really: nobody feels sorry for Jets fans. That, and it's full of derision. That's why if the Jets ever make it to the SB and win it again in my lifetime, the whole world can go fck themselves. I might throw in some grave-dancing, too, if I'm still able-bodied enough to get navigate a cemetery or two with my Easy Lite Walker. No, no, I got it. I'll tap some tombstones with my cane, ask if anybody's home, pretend I'm anticipating a response, and then rub my hands together and laugh.

32 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I have a front row seat to the Eagles every week and I watch the majority of their games (DVR when they are opposite the Jets), so that I can talk football with my friends about their local team.

Pederson is stubborn, overly relies on analytics, is a horrible game day manager and has a top qb that has regressed under his direct tutelage.

Wentz was thriving when Frank Reich was coordinator there, and it appears was the biggest contributor to that squad. Reich left after the Super Bowl.

You know how Jets fans feel the division title for the Patriots was paved by an easy peasy division? The Eagles have had the same in recent years.

Give Pederson credit in that he managed a SB team. But I would want him no where near a Jet rebuild.

I watch the Eagles every week. Heck I controlled the Eagles in the JN mock draft and picked 4 players for my fake eagles that the real eagles picked. My brother is a huge Eagles fan. 

That team has been talent deficient the last 2 years, they only have had any success on the shoulders of Doug Pederson’s ability to keep the team performance above their talent level. 

Belichick

Reid

Harbaugh

Tomlin

Are the only guys I know I’d take over Pederson. 

People have really short memories 

Many are acting as if Reich was the real brains behind that Philly team.

Two months ago I watched Frank Reich’s team blow a 4th quarter lead to the sh*tastic Jaguars to give them their sole win of the season.

I’d take Pederson in a heartbeat if Philly is stupid enough to fire him. 

16 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I watch the Eagles every week. Heck I controlled the Eagles in the JN mock draft and picked 4 players for my fake eagles that the real eagles picked. My brother is a huge Eagles fan. 

That team has been talent deficient the last 2 years, they only have had any success on the shoulders of Doug Pederson’s ability to keep the team performance above their talent level. 

Belichick

Reid

Harbaugh

Tomlin

Are the only guys I know I’d take over Pederson. 

Ok, just this last week, how did you feel about going for 2, down 4, late in the 3rd quarter?

What do you think Pedreson does well?  Prepare his team? Have you seen how flat and unprepared they cam out this week, after a bye?

Offensive ingenuity? They are one of the lowest scoring teams in the league, with offensive talent that far exceeds the Jets.

Is he a qb developer? How would you describe the progression of Wentz under him? Particularly after Reich leaving.

Please, answer these questions.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Ok, just this last week, how did you feel about going for 2, down 4, late in the 3rd quarter?

What do you think Pedreson does well?  Prepare his team? Have you seen how flat and unprepared they cam out this week, after a bye?

Offensive ingenuity? They are one of the lowest scoring teams in the league, with offensive talent that far exceeds the Jets.

Is he a qb developer? How would you describe the progression of Wentz under him? Particularly after Reich leaving.

Please, answer these questions.

Does their offensive talent far exceed ours?

Their left tackle is injured, they lost both starting guards, their starting OT is 37 years old, Lane Johnson is playing on a bum ankle. Their starting WR corp is held together by Travis Fulgham and at various points they’ve lost Desean Jackson, Alston Jeffrey, and Jaelon Ranger. They start Corey Clement since Miles Sanders has been injured all year. 

I don’t mind the 2 pt conversion, I do mind that there were 2 possessions after that where they did nothing. 

The Eagles don’t have an issue with being flat. They won a super bowl with a backup QB, they made the playoffs with Deontay Burnett as WR1. 

I can’t tell you what’s going on with Carson Wentz, but he hasn’t been the same since he tore his ACL. I don’t think I can put the deficiencies of an oft injured QB on a talent deficient team on the HC.

3 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Does their offensive talent far exceed ours?

Their left tackle is injured, they lost both starting guards, their starting OT is 37 years old, Lane Johnson is playing on a bum ankle. Their starting WR corp is held together by Travis Fulgham and at various points they’ve lost Desean Jackson, Alston Jeffrey, and Jaelon Ranger. They start Corey Clement since Miles Sanders has been injured all year. 

I don’t mind the 2 pt conversion, I do mind that there were 2 possessions after that where they did nothing. 

The Eagles don’t have an issue with being flat. They won a super bowl with a backup QB, they made the playoffs with Deontay Burnett as WR1. 

I can’t tell you what’s going on with Carson Wentz, but he hasn’t been the same since he tore his ACL. I don’t think I can put the deficiencies of an oft injured QB on a talent deficient team on the HC.

The Eagles offensive line, as you have stated has been a MASH unit. Maybe I call it a draw, and that is being generous.

The WR group, is a mish mash of parts, just like the Jets. That is a draw also.

The RB is HUGE advantage Eagles. Miles Sanders has the best YPC average in the league (missed 3 games), and Boston Scott is a very very good back. Not even close, here.

Tight End is a huge advantage, also. While Zach Ertz has been a disappointment this year, Dallas Goedart is a very dependable and valuable TE. The Jets don't have anything close.

Despite the regression of Wentz, you have to give him a huge edge over Darnold, as Darnold has never sniffed the stats that Wentz had at his age. 

Largest point, the regression of Wentz has occurred under Pederson's watch. Even more damning is that it occurred right at the time Reich left the Eagles. Coincidence? Enough of one that I don't want him tutoring the next Jets rookie QB.

Big pass. And all this does not even account for Pederson's horrible game day decisions.

• Upvote 1