??? Hypothetical draft scenario ???

JTJet

16 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Is this a joke? I can't tell. 

You realize Jim McMahon and Steve Young came from BYU right? Theres a handful of Superbowls between them. 

Consider this, Ty Detmer came from BYU and he had more success than any Ohio State QB ever drafted. 

The argument is generally that Ohio State QBs are surrounded with literally the best talent in college other than a couple programs, if Zach Wilson is rocketing up draft boards, it ain't because BYU is loaded with talent. 

Is your post a joke?  You are talking about QBs that played at nearly 40 years ago?  Do you really think that has anything to do with Wilson?

Wilson might not be rocketing up because of the talent around him.  It's entirely possible he's rocketing up because the lack of talent he plays against.

How are Tua and Watson doing?  Do you have concerns with Lawrence?  He plays with more talent than Fields

4 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Is your post a joke?  You are talking about QBs that played at nearly 40 years ago?  Do you really think that has anything to do with Wilson?

Wilson might not be rocketing up because of the talent around him.  It's entirely possible he's rocketing up because the lack of talent he plays against.

How are Tua and Watson doing?  Do you have concerns with Lawrence?  He plays with more talent than Fields

At least there is some track record of QB success from the BYU. 

BYU has produced 300% more QBs that have done something of note in the NFL than Ohio State. Steve Young was basically at the beginning of the modern era of the pass happy NFL. 

Yes that is something to consider as far as talent level he is playing against, you are right.

Trev does not play with more talent than Fields, not sure where you're getting that. Theres about 4-5 projected top 100 picks coming out of Ohio State this year on offense alone (Fields, Davis, Olave, Myers, and maybe Teague)...Clemson has 2 (Lawrence and Etienne).

3 hours ago, JTJet said:

Im one of the people that not only have a strong preference for Trev, but kind of want to avoid Fields like the plague, and just because he is an Ohio State QB. 

Wasn't a dig at you, but do consider there are a lot of people that just want the big ticket QB without any thought to just how bad off our team is at other positions. 

Honestly, QB is about the 3rd or 4th area of need. Edge, Wr, Cb still are much greater needs and have been for awhile. 

Interesting perspective that has validity but we disagree on (a) Darnold's potential and (b) the value a FQB has on an organization. I've said it before -- there are 100 roads to a championship and 95 of them start with a good or even great QB. It can be done with surrounding a mediocre QB with exceptional talent but it's a much more difficult path to take because it requires an exceptional hit ratio in several drafts in a row.

• Upvote 1

I have a hard time imaging Lawrence coming to the Jets unless the Johnsons sell the team in the next 90 days and the new owner fumigates the place by April..  I also doubt that Fields would be excited about it either.

Lawrence has been going to the Mannings' summer QB camp since High School and is apparently close to Peyton.  There's really no way they will stand back and let him come to this dumpster fire.

21 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Trade back again after that pick up another 1st rounder and take Zach Wilson. 

Trey Lance

If we could somehow end up with Trey Lance, Penei Sewell, JaMarr Chase, Creed Humphrey, and Kyle Pitts (plus maybe some more draft capital), I'd consider it.

2 hours ago, NYCfan said:

I have a hard time imaging Lawrence coming to the Jets unless the Johnsons sell the team in the next 90 days and the new owner fumigates the place by April..  I also doubt that Fields would be excited about it either.

Lawrence has been going to the Mannings' summer QB camp since High School and is apparently close to Peyton.  There's really no way they will stand back and let him come to this dumpster fire.

Could you imagine if somehow Peyton is involved in us getting screwed again?!  Peyton could also advise Trevor to only go to the Jets if Gase is HC of the NYJ.

On 11/16/2020 at 8:51 PM, JTJet said:

Just curious for sh*ts and gigs. 

IF we finish with the first pick, and Jacksonville finishes with the second pick, considering all of the holes we need to fill, would you entertain a trade down to the second pick for the right haul? 

In this scenario, we would drop down 1 slot (Obviously giving Trev up) but gain both Jacksonville's first rounders this year, and another in 2022, and this years second as well. 

That gives 8 top 100 picks (agree or disagree with who I picked, I gave what the draft presented me)

Personally I dont want Fields, but this would be hard to say no to. 

20201116_204312.jpg

Screenshot_20201116-203038_Samsung Internet.jpg

Keep this up and JD is going to package you in a deal when he trades Darnold. 

1ECF5A0F-3AE0-4F33-AA30-79A71BC502E5.gif

Guest Babababenny&thaJets

I think if Jax gets second pick that hurts us. I think with the fairly good play of all these young Qbs coming out of college that Jax might give something to trade up 1 pick but not a ransom as they could do well with the other 3-4 Qbs in this class. If Jax gets 3rd or 4th pick, now that gives other teams ability to get in before them to get their guy which could cause Jets to get more out of the trade. 
  I’d be fine with Lawrence too if no one wants to give a kings ransom for him, but I think with how good qbs are getting it’s more and more likely to be able to grab one later and still hit like first pick second rd. That Jets need to really consider getting more picks to increase chances of hitting on early rd players and build from the draft.

On 11/16/2020 at 9:32 PM, Paradis said:

there's sense in this statement -- but there's also the matter of making whatever "perceived" advantage you get w/ TL, reduced to zero..

Maybe a better way to say that--

Fields + FOUR Top 50 players >>> Trevor Lawrence.

IMO he's not that much better than Fields.

THIS... its a deal you have to make if youre offered that.  Lawrence is good but the difference between the two prospects is going to be smaller than 4 top 50 players.  I'm not sure I would run the draft with those picks but if youre telling me I can immediately draft a potential franchise QB, 2 of the top WR/TE/OL ALL IN ONE DRAFT I'm sorry no player is above that value unless you have a crystal ball. 

for reference here is what the bears traded the 49ers to move up from 3 to 2 to draft Trubisky.  Now you can assume that a team trading to 1 overall evne from one spot down may be slightly higher in value?  but overall I think it will be similar

The Bears traded the 3, 67 and 111 picks, as well as a 2018 third-round pick, to the San Francisco 49ers in exchange for the second overall pick. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, kdels62 said:

I’ve been doing mocks with 3 (in mock simulation) possible scenarios. 

Draft Lawrence

Trade to 2 for Fields

Trade down for Zach Wilson

Its been a fun operation. I’ll post some stuff later about it.

I have to look more into wilson but as of right now I'm avoiding him if im looking to take a quarterback... I think he can be very successful, but to me i think a lot is going to depend on the system he goes to.  He is very Jimmy G to me.  Good player in the right system, Really good on his timing throws and being on schedule short to intermediate, good enough athlete to move around and run a little, Not a huge arm to sling it deep, but can throw deep when its on schedule in the offense.  He would do very very well in a kyle shanahan offense, or mcvay offense.  

On 11/17/2020 at 12:49 AM, Defense Wins Championships said:

Trevor Lawrence, Mekhi Becton, Allen Robinson (or JuJu) and Denzel Mims would also become a nice piece to build an offense around, too. 

And plz don't ever compare "Sam Darnold" to Trevor Lawrence as prospects coming out, ever again; because Trevor is 10x the prospect Sam ever was and Trevor's accomplishments and statistical production destroys Sam within each and every statistical Quarterbacking category known to man kind. 

And here we agree. The world... it’s ending lol. His statistical production and consistency are what significantly separate his college production from Sam Darnold. That’s ignoring high school which probably played a role in development as you pointed out. 

On 11/17/2020 at 5:39 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

Could you imagine if somehow Peyton is involved in us getting screwed again?!  Peyton could also advise Trevor to only go to the Jets if Gase is HC of the NYJ.

So, that is an interesting twist to this scenario.   Which would you rather have: Lawrence if Gase is still the HC, or Fields with a new coaching staff.   In this scenario, I think Fields gets my vote.