Jump to content

Sam Darnold Transcript; won't play on Sunday


Maxman
 Share

Recommended Posts

Connor Hughes, The Athletic: Adam (Gase) just filled us in on the news that you’re not going to be able to play this week. It sounds kind of up in the air if you’re going to be available in Week 11 and 12. Can you just kind of take us through how you feel physically? What changed or did not change over the Bye Week, and how much of a setback is it to still be sidelined with this shoulder injury?
I think it’s a smart decision not to play. I’ve given it thought and it’s just got to heal. It’s got to have time, and that was kind of our mindset.

Rich Cimini, ESPN: I’m just wondering what kind of emotions are swirling through your mind now? Obviously want to play, you can’t, the season has seven games left and there’s been a lot of speculation about your future as it pertains to the Jets. So, if you could just let us into your mind for a second. How stressful or what’s going on emotionally for you?
I mean obviously I want to play. I always want to go out there and put it on the line for my teammates and my coaches and just go out there and play football. That’s what I love to do and that’s first and foremost. Obviously as well, I’ve got to think about me. Me injuring my right shoulder, it’s definitely tough to kind of weigh all the options of what I can do. You start thinking about in terms of just longevity and how I can further injure the shoulder. So, I just think from where we’re at right now with it, it’s a good decision to be able to give it another week to heal up. So, that’s kind of where I’m at mentally right now. Like I said, obviously I want to play, but just got to weigh all the factors and after doing that, thought it was the best decision not to play this week.

Brian Costello, New York Post: Was it a mistake to come back as quickly as you did the first time?
No, I think with everything that the doctors told me, I thought it was a good decision to come back. Obviously, I look back on that play against Kansas City where I could have gotten down and slid. I think that was the biggest mistake of it all. So, I just think where I’m at right now, I just need to let it heal. I’ve got to let this thing run its course for where it’s at right now and make sure I’m 100 percent before I come back.

Ralph Vacchiano, SNY: Sam, obviously you know there’s a lot of speculation about your future and what this team might do and I realize that’s out of your control, but do you worry about not having enough time at the end of the season to show that once and for all that they should stick by you no matter what?
No, I think for me I’m just going to continue to do what I need to do, first and foremost to get healthy, and then when I do play, play well. Just make sure that I’m doing everything I need to do to execute the plays that are called. At the end of the day, my job as a quarterback is to move the ball down the field, take care of the football and score touchdowns. I feel like once I get back out there, I’m going to do everything I can to do that.

Connor Hughes, The Athletic: Sam, this might sound like a silly question, but when you’re dealing with a shoulder injury I guess there’s so many different things that can be going on with you physically in terms of what you can’t do. Specifically, where are you feeling the pain right now? Is it when you try to throw there is no strength behind the throws? Is it accuracy? Is it actually the movement of your arm? What is it that you’re struggling with right now with this injury that has put you on this throwing program that Adam kind of alluded to?
I’m not going to get into any specifics in terms of throwing or when I feel it, throwing or running or anything like that. I think the biggest thing right now is just giving it time. You guys deal with football players a lot, especially with AC sprains, it’s something you’ve just got to give time and that’s what I’m doing right now.

Brian Costello, New York Post: Sam, I know you and Adam, and everybody were kind of waiting for you guys to have those three receivers on the field at the same time that you had planned in August. What was it like for you last Monday kind of watching that happen and you not be able to be out there? It feels like this offense is finally gotten the pieces together except for you.
It was good to see those guys out there on the field doing their thing and playing well, but obviously I want to get out there with them. It was fun watching them be able to go out there and play ball and do what they love to do and score touchdowns. It was awesome to see those guys back healthy out there on the field doing what they love to do.

Rich Cimini, ESPN: Sam, how confident are you that you’ll play again this year?
Very confident. Yeah, I’m very confident that I’ll play this year. I think for me, again like I said, it’s just making sure that when I do come back, I’m 100%, so that when I land on it or get hit that it’s not getting re-injured.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sam Darnold

The 0 and 9 NY Jets head to Los Angeles to play the 2 and 7 Chargers on Sunday. The team hasn’t released their injury report for the week yet. Adam Gase did speak to the media and gave these updates. Sam Darnold won’t play, they are going to keep him out and evaluate him again next week.

  • Brian Poole, he’s got a shoulder (and) knee, right now we’re still kind of looking at the shoulder, looking at our options there and just kind of see how this progresses
  • Henry Anderson knee (and) ankle, he could miss some practice time this week, we’ll kind of see how that progresses as the week goes on
  • Quinnen Williams, with the hamstring, hoping for him to be limited this week, we’ll kind of see how Wednesday goes and then we’ll progress from there
  • Blake Cashman with the hamstrings, looks like he’s going to be with strength and conditioning this week, I think it’d be tough for him to make it to the game
  • Sam Ficken progressing, he’s a lot closer than where we’ve been, hopefully, if he keeps trending in the right direction, he’ll be available for us as well
  • Mekhi Becton after coming out of the game, week off and then heading into this week, it looks like he’s good to go
  • Sam Darnold, what we’re going to be doing with him is he’ll be on an interval throwing program, he’s not going to practice, he won’t play this game, so Joe Flacco will end up starting, that’s where we’re at with him right now. Hopefully looking for him to play, kind of see where he is following this game, hopefully we can get him back sooner than later.

Is Darnold possibly headed to I.R. ?

That has not been brought up to me, we’re just taking this week-to-week right now. You know we’re hoping that putting him on this program with the trainers that that will help instead of him going out, trying to practice, we want to make sure he’s in a good place when the next time he steps on the field to practice.

Visit this link to read the full Sam Darnold transcript.

What tests were doing on Mekhi Becton?

Yeah, I mean they went through everything. While the game was going on, they did all kinds of tests and for whatever reason, it was just we couldn’t get him back out there, he wasn’t feeling comfortable with it. And the next day, they went through a whole bunch of stuff and double and triple checked everything, and everything seems to be okay. For whatever reason he was struggling in the game and I don’t have a great explanation for it, that’s what it was and I’m just glad he’s alright and that we’re able to get him back out there.

The post Darnold Out For Sunday; NY Jets Injury Updates appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
4RBg_vrEwIA

Click here to read the full story...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

He 100% does not give a single sh*t anymore. Even though the Jets are partly responsible for this, it shows that he has no fire and just can’t cut it. 

Hard to blame him though- no? We look at it from a fans perspective and say he hasn’t lived up to where he was selected and we’re pissed it didn’t work- especially when Josh Allen is thriving in our division.

If you were him I think you’d likely make the same decision. He has to go elsewhere and attempt to salvage his career ( something he’s spent every day of his entire life to this point working for). If he winds up with a Pennington shoulder he has no chance at all.

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Gibby said:

Hard to blame him though- no? We look at it from a fans perspective and say he hasn’t lived up to where he was selected and we’re pissed it didn’t work- especially when Josh Allen is thriving in our division.

If you were him I think you’d likely make the same decision. He has to go elsewhere and attempt to salvage his career ( something he’s spent every day of his entire life to this point working for). If he winds up with a Pennington shoulder he has no chance at all.

Don't blame him one bit. It's the right move for him, as it is for others who know they likely won't be here next year. This is a big reason for Gase's "bad luck" with injuries.

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, jgb said:

Don't blame him one bit. It's the right move for him, as it is for others who know they likely won't be here next year. This is a big reason for Gase's "bad luck" with injuries.

I’ll do you one better... I bet he winds up on IR and never takes a snap in green again.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I doubt he plays again this season...and at this point it is probably a joint decision between Sam/Jimmy Sexton and NYJ.

At this point a few meaningless games with this crap roster and dog sh*t coaching staff won’t change Darnold’s trade value much. They’re only risking further injury. 
 

For Sam’s sake...and for ours, hopefully Sam just shuts it down for the year.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Look, Sam is a total Cali-boogie boarding-pusswah but why on earth would you ever take another snap behind center for this sh*t bag organization if you were in his situation?  There is literally, zero benefit.  He's right to be thinking long-term, he has no future here and while he sucks and his days as a starter are more than likely over, back ups can make a sh*t ton of money and stay in the league for ever.  Sam is wise to consider this as his future and not ruin that for some sh*tty Jets team that has shown him every step of the way, they dont give 2 ****s about his development. 

 

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I doubt he plays again this season...and at this point it is probably a joint decision between Sam/Jimmy Sexton and NYJ.

At this point a few meaningless games with this crap roster and dog sh*t coaching staff won’t change Darnold’s trade value much. They’re only risking further injury. 
 

For Sam’s sake...and for ours, hopefully Sam just shuts it down for the year.


I don’t think that’s the case. Sam re-injured himself so they are likely going to give him twice as long to recover this round. 
 

If he misses 2 weeks the first time I’d predict four weeks this round. Look for him to return vs Oakland. 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

 Connor Hughes, The Athletic: Sam, this might sound like a silly question, but when you’re dealing with a shoulder injury I guess there’s so many different things that can be going on with you physically in terms of what you can’t do. Specifically, where are you feeling the pain right now? Is it when you try to throw there is no strength behind the throws? Is it accuracy? Is it actually the movement of your arm? What is it that you’re struggling with right now with this injury that has put you on this throwing program that Adam kind of alluded to?

I’m not going to get into any specifics in terms of throwing or when I feel it, throwing or running or anything like that. I think the biggest thing right now is just giving it time. 

These words from Sam are alarming to me. No, I don't even believe he's injured or hurt. He's completely avoiding the question and seems defensive about it.

My belief is that he's the 32nd rated and dead last ranked QB within the entire league and has simply been benched due to his performance; and he's too prideful/too embarrassed to admit it. 

He doesn't want to get into any specifics? Na. He's hiding something from the public. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, jgb said:

Really sad all around. He’s smart to preserve his health at this point.

I can't make up my mind on what would increase his value at this point.  Would sitting the rest of the way be better than playing a few games at "full health"? 

He needs just one game with 200+ yards and more TDs than INTs to help his cause, but I don't think he's capable of doing it at this point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I can't make up my mind on what would increase his value at this point.  Would sitting the rest of the way be better than playing a few games at "full health"? 

He needs just one game with 200+ yards and more TDs than INTs to help his cause, but I don't think he's capable of doing it at this point.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. But the odds of bumping up his value is not worth a blown ACL. The best thing going for him is the perception that Gase could suck the talent from Leonardo da Vinci. Don't see that changing with one or even two outlier performances to end the year.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I can't make up my mind on what would increase his value at this point.  Would sitting the rest of the way be better than playing a few games at "full health"? 

He needs just one game with 200+ yards and more TDs than INTs to help his cause, but I don't think he's capable of doing it at this point.

His value now is probably lower than it ever has been -- I think him having 1 or 2 strong showings down the stretch definitely helps.

The better question is does driving up your own value help you or the Jets? I suppose you want your new team to be invested in you, but if you're gonna get a real shot to start at QB for a team next year probably better that the new team gives up less to get you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I can't make up my mind on what would increase his value at this point.  Would sitting the rest of the way be better than playing a few games at "full health"? 

He needs just one game with 200+ yards and more TDs than INTs to help his cause, but I don't think he's capable of doing it at this point.

The only negative to him not playing again is a potential injury prone label. If he doesn't play again, he will have missed 16 starts in his first 3 years. But, I still think teams will be interested in him, to varying degrees. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

I doubt he plays again this season...and at this point it is probably a joint decision between Sam/Jimmy Sexton and NYJ.

At this point a few meaningless games with this crap roster and dog sh*t coaching staff won’t change Darnold’s trade value much. They’re only risking further injury. 
 

For Sam’s sake...and for ours, hopefully Sam just shuts it down for the year.

 

The business decision aspect of this post is likely accurate but in terms of him coming back when 100 percent healthy.

It's in everyone's best interest that he comes back and plays again as to increase trade value and number of teams interested in the player.  Both Sam and the team want as many options as possible and that only happens if he comes back and plays decently

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

 

The business decision aspect of this post is likely accurate but in terms of him coming back when 100 percent healthy.

It's in everyone's best interest that he comes back and plays again as to increase trade value and number of teams interested in the player.  Both Sam and the team want as many options as possible and that only happens if he comes back and plays decently

At face value? Yes. In this particular situation, not necessarily. The team even though they played hard against New England (that was the teams Super Bowl) they have been non-competitive all year. Chances are that the team will continue to slide back to non-competitiveness.

Sam playing with a historically bad team/coach only put his chances of either getting hurt further or just continuing to suck, and people remember the most recent memories. If he sits it out now, a lot of time will pass when free agency rolls around. They’ll remember Sam as a young kid with a ton of potential who was hurt and shut down after playing for one of the worst teams in league history.

Not ideal, but that’s a much better scenario than him throwing pick 6’s weeks 14-17 like he did in Indy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

At face value? Yes. In this particular situation, not necessarily. The team even though they played hard against New England (that was the teams Super Bowl) they have been non-competitive all year. Chances are that the team will continue to slide back to non-competitiveness.

Sam playing with a historically bad team/coach only put his chances of either getting hurt further or just continuing to suck, and people remember the most recent memories. If he sits it out now, a lot of time will pass when free agency rolls around. They’ll remember Sam as a young kid with a ton of potential who was hurt and shut down after playing for one of the worst teams in league history.

Not ideal, but that’s a much better scenario than him throwing pick 6’s weeks 14-17 like he did in Indy.

Aside from Sam, this team is trending towards healthier and I think will show up vs the Chargers. I honestly don't think Sam's value has ever been lower. A few more flashes will help fix that and alleviate injury rap.  We shall see how it  plays out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, y2k8 said:

Aside from Sam, this team is trending towards healthier and I think will show up vs the Chargers. I honestly don't think Sam's value has ever been lower. A few more flashes will help fix that and alleviate injury rap.  We shall see how it  plays out.

If he gets injured and faces a rehab over 6 months, his trade value becomes zero. If he lights it up 1 or 2 games (he has like three 300 games in his entire career so let's be realistic here) it won't raise his value appreciably. Not worth the risk.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If Darnold was a real NFL QB, he would be wanting to get back out there and prove he belongs. He would be mad he isn;t playing. They could not keep him out of the lineup.  This is a hardcore serious business. Either it's what he wants to do more than anything, or he's going through the motions. Now, he can probably get by, find a spot as a backup, milk the NFL for some serious bucks and be set for life. But that isn't being great. May be he doesn't have the ability to be a great QB, and we all know right now he doesn't have the coaching here. 

He's saying a lot of nothing.  But he's really saying, yeah, whatever. 

He doesn't bleed for it. 

It's not gonna happen. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...