Steelers 2021 Cap

BCJet

11 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Seems like a pretty potent group but the oline still needs some improvement. Some of this may hinge on Clark being able to push Lewis or van roten.  Maybe they will need to use a fairly high pick on another center or guard. It’ll be interesting to see if elflein can play at a high level.  Will he play center or guard?

Can everyone please repeat - WE DONT NEED A CENTER.

The line didnt play well out of the gates, which isnt surprising since they had not even met each other let alone played together.  GVR and Fant are really playing well the past couple weeks and McGovern has been more then adequate.  Yea, Id like mangold here too, but having a middle of the pack center is ok and allows us to focus elsewhere in the 2021 draft. 

I think JD will look to find interior lineman in the 3-4th rounds each year.  Its the smart thing to do as guards tend to fall and with us picking so high in each round, we should be able to find value at that position.  Keep picking and developing lineman and plugging holes with cheap veterans like GVR.  I do hope he continues to find backup tackles because thats harder to develop. 

I know we dont like to discuss defense, but we will likely need to find a CB pretty high in the draft as well, so thats why Robinson/Juju and Dupree would fill holes and let us go elsewhere in the draft

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Seems like a pretty potent group but the oline still needs some improvement. Some of this may hinge on Clark being able to push Lewis or van roten.  Maybe they will need to use a fairly high pick on another center or guard. It’ll be interesting to see if elflein can play at a high level.  Will he play center or guard?

I'm looking towards the 3rd round to attack O-Line (two picks). 

That's a round where the likes of Tommy Kraemer of ND, Josh Myers of Ohio State, Landon Dickerson of Alabama, Cole Van Lalen of Wisconsin, Liam Eichenberg of ND and Cade Mays of Tennessee could be available. Maybe not all (some could go round 2) but some will definitely be available with our 3rd round pick(s). 

I'm feeling the 3rd round could become a sweet spot for O-Lineman this year. 

Allen Robinson/JuJu. 

Allen Robinson/Godwin. 

Allen Robinson/Sammy Watkins. 

JuJu/Godwin. 

JuJu/Sammy Watkins. 

Godwin/Sammy Watkins. 

Etc.

I just want to see Joe Douglas actually ATTACK the WR position before heading into the draft with not just one FA WR splash, but with two of them (Trevor Lawrence and us offensive starved fans deserve it). 

On 11/17/2020 at 8:25 AM, FidelioJet said:

If you get JuJu, paired with Mims.  It gives you the flexibility to go TE, RB and/or OL with our other two top picks (Seattle and 33/34)

If not one of those two has to be a WR.  Can still be a WR but that flexibility would be amazing.

Just thinking about TL, Mims, Juju, a TE at 20, RB at 33 - Take a guard/Center with the Darnold pick (hoping in the 2nd)

Also, sign the best Guard you can find in FA.

You have now rebuilt the offensive in one off-season...

Sounds like rocket science.

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Bud Dupree tore his ACL yesterday. Such a shame for a player having a great season. 

Will make his free agency a little more complicated especially given how late in the year the injury was sustained. 

Definitely a hard pass now. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

Bud Dupree tore his ACL yesterday. Such a shame for a player having a great season. 

Will make his free agency a little more complicated especially given how late in the year the injury was sustained. 

He'll probably have to settle for a 2 year "prove it" kind of deal, then hope to get his massive payday on his 3rd contract.

ACL injuries aren't as bad as they used to be, but some still can negatively impact a player in the long-term beyond their initial recovery.  Especially in the mental aspect.  I can't see a team shelling out huge coin on a 4 or 5-year deal, especially since he'll spend much of that first year recovering.  

55 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He'll probably have to settle for a 2 year "prove it" kind of deal, then hope to get his massive payday on his 3rd contract.

ACL injuries aren't as bad as they used to be, but some still can negatively impact a player in the long-term beyond their initial recovery.  Especially in the mental aspect.  I can't see a team shelling out huge coin on a 4 or 5-year deal, especially since he'll spend much of that first year recovering.  

If he isn't having the surgery till almost mid December, he won't be available for any of training camp, and probably not until the early part of the season, and he will have to ease back into it.

I know AP came back insanely fast, but 9-10 months is still an optimistic time table.   He has to be able to plant and bend around the corner, it has to be 100% for him to do that.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

If he isn't having the surgery till almost mid December, he won't be available for any of training camp, and probably not until the early part of the season, and he will have to ease back into it.

I know AP came back insanely fast, but 9-10 months is still an optimistic time table.   He has to be able to plant and bend around the corner, it has to be 100% for him to do that.

Speed is such a huge part of his game too, hes strong and has improved the last 2 years vs the run but its a tough injury for an edge guy.  That being said, hes a good edge rusher with speed that we need at the position.  If he is available for a 2 year type prove it deal, im still in.

On 11/18/2020 at 3:10 AM, Defense Wins Championships said:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/juju-smith-schuster-nfl-free-agency-2021

https://www.nflanalysis.net/nfl-free-agency-2021-5-way-too-early-landing-spots-for-juju-smith-schuster/4/

Just about every JuJu potential FA landing spot of an article links the Jets as a top 5 destination for him. 

This is why landing Trevor Lawrence is so important for us, because he'll give us a chance @ landing big time FA WR's due to potential and hype alone. 

With Trevor Lawrence on a rookie contract I wouldn't be against Joe Douglas splashing with two FA WR's (because Lord knows how long our offense has lacked elite playmakers @ WR for). I'd absolutely love it. 

QB: Trevor Lawrence. 

LT: Mekhi Becton. 

WR 1: Allen Robinson. 

Slot: JuJu Smith-Schuster (really our #2 who's built for the slot when 3 wide). 

TE: Kyle Pitts (1st round/Seattle pick). 

WR 2: Denzel Mims. 

WR 4: Jamison Crowder (nuts). 

RB: Najee Harris (1st overall pick of 2nd Rd). 

That's K.C Chiefs type of offensive talent surrounding the QB position. 

And suddenly the Jets have an offensive attack to be prod of moving forward with weapons literally everywhere; while giving Trevor Lawrence every opportunity to succeed starting from day 1 (from there we can use our two 3rd round picks on two interior O-Lineman in order to build an O-Line around Becton). 

Mims is a rookie and a 2nd round pick who can afford to take a back seat to Robinson/JuJu throughout his NFL development. 

and just look at TB's offense surrounding Brady in Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, Gronk, Antonio Brown + 2 RBs in Jones/Fournette; Jet fans deserve the same (from JD). 

I keep hearing talk about 1 FA WR but if the Jets land Trevor Lawrence behind A+ available salary cap? 2 FA WR splashes is what we need. 

2022 we can use both of our 1st round picks @ CB/Pass Rusher and even our 2022 2nd round pick on another CB/Edge Rusher etc but 2021's off-season must be focused on offense throughout both FA and the draft; the Carolina Panthers just used every single draft pick all on Defense this past draft and JD must do the complete opposite and focus 100% on offense come 2021's off-season. 

That's a dream offseason right there lol. But I doubt they sign both A-Rob and JuJu. Hopefully one can be signed. Maybe the other signing can be a Joe Thuney to pair with Becton at LG/LT. Make it the best LG/LT combo in the league. 

• Upvote 1