Poll: If the Jets Keep Gase, it means they are sticking with Darnold

Sarge4Tide

What if they Keep Gase? What if they fire him?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. If the Jets do NOT fire Adam Gase after this season, it means they are planning to trade out of the #1 pick, compile draft picks, and build around Sam Darnold

• STRONGLY AGREE
    • Agree
    • Neutral - don't think you can necessarily infer that
    • Disagree
    • STRONGLY DISAGREE
  2. 2. If the Jets DO FIRE Adam Gase after this season, it means they are planning to take a QB #1 in the upcoming draft and hire a proven QB developer as Head Coach

• STRONGLY AGREE
    • Agree
    • Neutral - don't think you can necessarily infer that
    • Disagree
    • STRONGLY DISAGREE

What is your reaction to this statement:

If the Jets do not fire Adam Gase after this season, it means they are
planning to trade out of the #1 pick, compile draft picks, and build around Sam Darnold

The underlying question is - does keeping Gase infer building around Darnold / does firing Gase infer drafting a QB #1?

Regardless what happens to Gase, Darnold is gone. I think the wildcard here is Morgan. I believe JD sees in him what he saw in Flacco when he scouted him at Delaware ..... big, strong, great arm, processes quickly, pocket pAsser and not prone to turnovers. Last two years, 40 tds, 12 Ints. Don’t think it was a coincidence that Flacco was the choice to come in and be the backup. Maybe, when we clinch one of two top spots, Morgan gets a game or two. If they are sold on Morgan , I could see them trading out for a boatload of picks and turning this thing around. Just find it very curious that we hear nothing about this kid at all. Even with Hack, all we heard was how horrible he was on a day to day basis. This guy, nothing. Makes me wonder.

• Upvote 2

I went with Neutral on both questions. Why?

Neither Douglas nor Gase drafted Darnold, they're not tied to him.

Without a doubt, Douglas gets to pick his own QB if he wants to move on from Darnold NEXT year. If he extends him though, Darnold becomes "his one guy."

Gase? As hard as it is to imagine him coming back as HC next year, I haven't heard anything from the owners or GM that indicates he will not. The only "noise" I've heard is from fans and media.

In Gase's defense, he was able to take a bunch of misfits to a 7-9 record last year, and JD has given him the worst roster I've ever seen this year. I won't blame Gase for losing with JDs torn down roster.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Regardless what happens to Gase, Darnold is gone. I think the wildcard here is Morgan. I believe JD sees in him what he saw in Flacco when he scouted him at Delaware ..... big, strong, great arm, processes quickly, pocket pAsser and not prone to turnovers. Last two years, 40 tds, 12 Ints. Don’t think it was a coincidence that Flacco was the choice to come in and be the backup. Maybe, when we clinch one of two top spots, Morgan gets a game or two. If they are sold on Morgan , I could see them trading out for a boatload of picks and turning this thing around. Just find it very curious that we hear nothing about this kid at all. Even with Hack, all we heard was how horrible he was on a day to day basis. This guy, nothing. Makes me wonder.

Theres nothing to report when the QB isnt remotely competing for the starting spot, and getting 3rd team reps. That simple. 

Hack was actually put into a position to somewhat compete for the starting role, so his flaws were there for all to see during practice and whatnot. 

I'm of the opinion that they're tied together and that both will almost certainly be gone.

That said, these are the four scenarios from least likely to most likely IMHO:

• The scenario that seems the least likely to me is that Gase is retained and Darnold is traded -- that after this disaster of a season Gase is somehow entrusted with the future of another young QB. In particular, I think the relatively unlikely scenario that a young QB refuses to come here increases exponentially if Gase is still here. I have a really hard time seeing this play out.
  • I don't think Gase can save his job, but if the team were to respond and play very well down the stretch -- with the team clearly playing hard and Darnold winning some games (we're not picking top 3) I think there's a tiny chance we keep both and run it back. This would clearly be the nightmare scenario.
  • Gase will almost certainly be fired, which makes the next two much more likely. If we don't have a top two pick or Darnold plays very strong football down the stretch -- or if the incoming coach loves Darnold -- there's a small possibility we pair a new coach with salvaging Darnold's career. This seems unlikely to me.
  • By far the most likely scenario is that we have a top two pick, we fire Gase, and we draft Lawrence of Fields. This is what will happen and what should happen.
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Arnold is Gase’s scapegoat. They will keep Gase, release Darnold and mindless slaughter whatever young signal caller that has the misfortunes of being drafted by them. 

If Sam does have a son, I sure hope he names him Arnold.

Arnold Darnold.

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Theres nothing to report when the QB isnt remotely competing for the starting spot, and getting 3rd team reps. That simple. 

Hack was actually put into a position to somewhat compete for the starting role, so his flaws were there for all to see during practice and whatnot. 

I just don’t buy it. Unless Morgan doesn’t even practice, this makes no sense. Smell a rat somewhere.

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Arnold is Gase’s scapegoat. They will keep Gase, release Darnold and mindless slaughter whatever young signal caller that has the misfortunes of being drafted by them. 

16 minutes ago, peebag said:

If Sam does have a son, I sure hope he names him Arnold.

Arnold Darnold.

Arnold the pig from Green Acres 

zBdM1-1536258462-12458-list_items-arnold_firsttoappear.jpg

2 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

If Gase stays, then the Jets better trade down because nobody at the top of the draft will want to be here.  Fans won't buy the ugly merch.  And if there is any justice is this scenario, the Jets will not have one game televised in prime time.

I think it is 50/50 he stays because Woody and Chrissy are cheap m@#$%^&*$%ers!

They are cheap but they also are very sensitive to media pressure and they won't want to deal with the epic sheet storm that would result by keeping Gase. 

• Upvote 1

I think if Gase wins a couple of games, which he should not be allowed to do, I can see the Johnsons saving $10mm and keeping Darnold and Gase another year while Douglas builds the  roster. 

That would a very bad result even if we are out of Trevor and Fields, but I can see it happening. 

If the Jets keep Gase, they are getting rid of Darnold and going with Trevor Lawrence.  Darnold does not match well with the system Gase is married to, but Lawrence would be a very good fit.

This is why I am *WORRIED* that they will indeed keep Gase and Gase himself is part of the tank for Trevor campaign.

Gase may have JD and CH believing that all he needs is a new QB. 

As much as I hate this idea, I think it is likely.  TL will be the Jets QB in 2021 and Gase will be the HC.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, THE BARON said:

If the Jets keep Gase, they are getting rid of Darnold and going with Trevor Lawrence.  Darnold does not match well with the system Gase is married to, but Lawrence would be a very good fit.

This is why I am *WORRIED* that they will indeed keep Gase and Gase himself is part of the tank for Trevor campaign.

Gase may have JD and CH believing that all he needs is a new QB. 

As much as I hate this idea, I think it is likely.  TL will be the Jets QB in 2021 and Gase will be the HC.

The fretting about Trevor dodging the Jets are overblown and the odds of it happening are exaggerated but keeping Gase does push it into the realm of at least worry.

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, jgb said:

The fretting about Trevor dodging the Jets are overblown and the odds of it happening are exaggerated but keeping Gase does push it into the realm of at least worry.

It's the only way I see it happening.

How can you watch a team hire a coach to develop a young QB, watch that coach completely ruin that QB, and sign up to play for him?

They'd have to be out of their minds for this to be the plan. I don't believe it's possible.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

It's the only way I see it happening.

How can you watch a team hire a coach to develop a young QB, watch that coach completely ruin that QB, and sign up to play for him?

They'd have to be out of their minds for this to be the plan. I don't believe it's possible.

It is not possible. There is literally no chance.

• Upvote 2

I agree from this standpoint - the Jets are not trying to sell Trevor Lawrence on coming to the Jets with the pariah that is Adam Gase as their head coach. Not happening. 

The only way I personally see Gase surviving is if he wins a handful of games over these last seven weeks and convinces management to run it back one more time with Sam. To me, Gase is tied to Sam because he was brought here to get the most out of him. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

it seems the majority of punters believe its the otherway round...   all ya hear is poor Sam...

why does no one say Poor Rosen? 

Wrong color jersey. Plenty of people here also think Desean Watson is overrated. If Darnold had one season with Watson numbers, we'd be over the moon and rightfully so.

• Upvote 1

I don’t see how gase stays but he certainly has an awful lot of reasons why he didn’t succeed.  I think they have no choice but to pick Lawrence if given the chance and move on from darnold while he still has some good trade value. And even if they could trade out of the top pick I doubt if they could get enough good players to support darnold if they chose to keep him.