Jamal Adams suffered from depression while playing for Jets, “they do not want to win”

Rhg1084

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He wanted out, he got out.  It's over as far as he should be concerned.  Why bring up the Jets in Week 11 of a season where his team is pushing for the playoffs?  

He was asked about it on an interview, no?  It's not like this was some random video he tweeted.  

But in general, I think it's very common for people to vent frustrations about a former employer.  Especially if it was a toxic environment and you feel you were disrespected during your time there.  I see it all the time in my line of work, people love to tell you all about why their last company sucked and how they're so much happier that they got away.   Throw all those emotions into an already over dramatic egomaniac and you get these types of interviews. 

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Thanks Dr. YouTube for your remote diagnosis 

btw Adams has had like 4 sacks in the last 2 weeks 

The one last hill to defend re adams is his sacks. 

Also last game he bltizs, the other team throws a TE screen to that side for a huge gain and a Td the very next play.

Also Adams playing one hand touch on a guy and leaping out of the way as he scores a td.

We actually saw Adams on the Jets the last game and his name was Harvey Langi, people saying who is this guy? he is all over the field?  Give any NFL calibre player the freedom to just shoot gaps and blitz with no other responsibility and they look great.

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This is gross. Moving from one city to another doesn’t “cure” depression, as Jamal asserts in this clip. To try and play his comments off as admitting to a mental health crisis (instead of as whining) is disgusting and does a huge disservice to those who actually struggle with depression. 

I don't "struggle" anymore. I embrace it, and I channel it. The whole idea of always keeping your Scorpions front and center is a terrible idea, almost worse than keeping your Scorpions behind you. Hopefully this unfortunately pervasive mindset will someday go the way of bloodletting. It only contributes to spinning your wheels IMO and keeps you on a cyclical treadmill of nothing; which your legal pill pusher, I may add, is more than happy to accommodate. "Well, it's hard to channel it when I can't even motivate myself to bathe." I get it, believe me;  but I have done so much better cumulatively by keeping my Scorpions where they belong: in my periphery.

I'm a Lincolnphile for many reasons, but his depression is a huge one. He would have had his soul medicated out of him and would have been a suicide or died in an institution if it were today. 'Lincoln's Melancholy: How Depression Challenged a  President and Fueled His Greatness' (by Joshua Shenk) is one of the most powerful books on the subject that I've ever read. Some of the writing has its ups and downs but the message is so worth the read. I read that book when I was was so off-the-wall episodic that I could have easily thrown myself in front of a train.

106591._UX75_.jpg

Speaking of trains, it's why he holds other deeper symbolism for me. Abe Lincoln the Rail Splitter; and I spend my alone time on the railroad tracks, so there's another facet to the diamond. "Whether I shall ever be better I cannot tell; I awfully forebode I shall not.  To remain as I am is impossible; I must die or be better, it appears to me." - Abraham Lincoln. 

I must die or be better, words not to die by. The only way I can describe it is that I kind of "John Nashed" myself to a large degree. I got a lot of resistance from a lot of people in my life, but stand or fall and I chose to stand. The medical community failed me horribly, and I will always harbor a deep resentment over it; but you have to claw yourself out of the grave that they throw dirt on on your own in many, many ways. Not everyone can do it (John Nashing themselves, I mean), but I believe in other people on this far more than they believe in themselves. Get on it.

It took 15 years post-coma and it's been nothing short of Hell, but with YOURSELF all things are possible and you have to go to war with yourself or go home.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

55 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

oh wow

Did you also know he's allowed 17 completions on 22 targets, for 13.2 yards per target and a 118.6 opposing QB rating?

Did you also know he only has 1 Pass Deflection, 0 INTs, and just 6 TFLs?  Marcus Maye has 4 PDs, 1 INT and 3 TFLs, for comparison.  Totally worth two 1sts and a 3rd for those extra TFLs, I suppose!

Were you also aware he's been sent on 51 blitzes (only 13 players in the NFL have been blitzed more often) to get those 5.5 sacks?  And that when he doesn't get to the QB, he leaves behind gaping holes in the defense that other teams exploit?

Did you also know the team is worse with him in the lineup (3-2) than without him (3-1)?

Were you aware that the Seahawks have a historically bad pass defense, on pace to be the worst in NFL history?

Let's see what the stats are after the Seahawks play the terrible Jets week 14 and what happens in the playoffs

with Drew Brees breaking all the ribs the NFC is wide open again 

47 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

But wait, there's still more!

Ryan Neal (2018 UDFA and Jamal's backup) vs Jamal Adams, a comparison:

Neal

• 2 INTs
  • 4 Pass Deflections
  • 0.0 Sacks
  • 3 TFLs
  • 10.4 Yards per Target
  • 73.7 QB Rating when targeted
  • 3 QB Hurries and 3 QB Knockdowns on 15 blitzes

Adams

• 0 INTs
  • 1 Pass Deflection
  • 5.5 Sacks
  • 6 TFLs
  • 13.2 Yards per Target
  • 118.6 QB Rating when targeted
  • 4 QB Hurries and 3 QB Knockdowns on 51 blitzes

Brutal, lol. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Let's see what the stats are after the Seahawks play the terrible Jets week 14 and what happens in the playoffs

Whatever Seattle does against the Jets or in the playoffs, none of it can or should be credited to the play of Jamal Adams or the pass defense.

The playoffs are no certainty for Seattle, either.  They're now 3rd in the pecking order in the NFC West, and a loss to Arizona at home this Thursday night will drop them to 6-4 overall and 1-3 in the division.  They'd be effectively out of the division race and only fighting for a Wild Card. 

With 7 playoff spots, and not very tough competition for the 6th and 7th spots currently (Bears, Vikings, Lions and 49ers) I don't see them missing out on the postseason, but they'd be a pretty strong candidate to go one-and-done in that conference.

6 hours ago, bitonti said:

Oh, man, that was like being in the movie theatre years ago when they would flash popcorn and a Pepsi on the screen for a nanosecond. I thought, "I'm so hungry . . . BBQ!!!" Haha.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

No more fuggin Adams threads. At this point it is obvious that it was a good trade and that Adams is an overrated douchenozzle. Let's move on to other miseries.

Agreed, but this one was to make people aware of the fact that his "depression" is a recent claim after saying two months ago that he wanted to remain a Jet.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Whatever Seattle does against the Jets or in the playoffs, none of it can or should be credited to the play of Jamal Adams or the pass defense.

they'd be a pretty strong candidate to go one-and-done in that conference.

can't have it both ways

If the Seahawks go 1 and done i will agree it was a bad trade for them 

i still maintain JD has to hit on these picks for it to be a good trade for the Jets

yes they could go 1 and done but there's a non-zero chance Russell etc gets hot again and this ends with Jamal is hoisting hardware

if that happens it will justify everything Jamal is, was or ever will be 

regardless of what kind of passing statistics we dig up  

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's a bad trade regardless, because they gave up two 1s and a 3 for a guy that played zero role in getting them to the postseason or winning games when they get there.  They've been to the postseason each of the last 2 years without Jamal Adams.  They traded for him to be a game-changer and get them further than the divisional round with his play.  He's showing no signs he's capable of doing this.  

Nothing about that trade is justifiable.  Even if, against all odds, they win the SB this year, they'll still have to "reload" to try to win another one without two 1s in the next 3 seasons. 

The only way to justify it is if Adams actually plays a significant role in getting them a Lombardi, or at least a deep playoff run.  Nothing about his play to date suggests he will do that.  He's made no positive impact on that team, none.  He's a liability in coverage, and his 5.5 sacks don't make up for all the times he blitzes but doesn't get to the QB, leading to wide open throws.  

the justifiable part of this trade is these draft picks Seattle are trading are from compromised CFB classes

i know football is like this escape we all like to use to avoid the real world but you and other "33 sux" guys never address this point

look around 80 the SEC has canceled like half their games this week 

the 2020 and 2021 season draft picks are not worth as much as the pre 2019 draft picks and post-2022 draft picks will be,

that's the harsh valuation about these picks JD are stockpiling

• WTF? 1

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the justifiable part of this trade is these draft picks Seattle are trading are from compromised CFB classes

i know football is like this escape we all like to use to avoid the real world but you and other "33 sux" guys never address this point

the 2020 and 2021 season draft picks are not worth as much as the pre 2019 draft picks and post-2022 draft picks will be,

You're totally right.  Draft picks are stupid.  We should trade them all away.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Unlike Jamal Adams, I don't claim to a member of the media that I was "depressed" at any time in my life, because I haven't been.  It's extremely inappropriate.

And yes, while sometimes I use that term as a joke here, I try not to.  My sister suffered from actual clinical depression so I'm a bit sensitive to it.  

Really? Come on man. This is weak. Bet you never called anyone "crazy" either. 

Sorry about your sister, but there's a lot more ammo to use against Jamal than he used the term "depressed" in a way that isn't clinically accurate according to the DSM-5 but is colloquially understood.

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

Uh huh. You're so woke bro. So very woke indeed. Bet you never called anyone "crazy" either.

Never said I don't do it, only that I try not to.   Do you not get how there's a difference between message board banter and an article on CBS stating in the very title of it that Adams "battled depression"?

38 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The Jets sucking and Drew Breeze getting hurt doesn't make Jamal's value increase for his team.   Two reasons he's getting those sacks

1) He literally can do nothing else, somehow the fool forgot how to put his head in and tackle. 

20 They gave up a ton of picks and are trying to save face. 

You think they make that trade with what they know now, with the state of that defense post Jamal? 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

Sorry about your sister, but there's a lot more ammo to use against Jamal than he used the term "depressed" that isn't clinically accurate but colloquially understood.

Riiiight.  So "colloquially understood" that CBS stated he "battled depression" even though he clearly didn't?  

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Never said I don't do it, only that I try not to.   Do you not get how there's a difference between message board banter and an article on CBS stating in the very title of it that Adams "battled depression"?

Caught me editing again. 

Sorry about your sister, but there's a lot more ammo to use against Jamal than he used the term "depressed" in a way that isn't clinically accurate according to the DSM-5 but is colloquially understood.

24 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Maybe they are worth more.  The can't miss guys are still can't miss.  It's the lower tier guys that we will know nothing about.  

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, bitonti said:

can't have it both ways

If the Seahawks go 1 and done i will agree it was a bad trade for them 

i still maintain JD has to hit on these picks for it to be a good trade for the Jets

yes they could go 1 and done but there's a non-zero chance Russell etc gets hot again and this ends with Jamal is hoisting hardware

if that happens it will justify everything Jamal is, was or ever will be 

regardless of what kind of passing statistics we dig up  

If it's just about what safety is present when the team succeeds, is it fair to say that Eric Smith and Jim Leonhard are both better than Adams?

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Anyone who insinuates that Jamal was being insensitive and insulting to people suffering from mental health challenges by saying playing for the Jets was depressing.

CBS used it as a noun.  "Battled depression" sounds like the clinical definition to me, not a colloquial term that you're arguing it to be. 

It was irresponsible terminology for both Adams AND CBS, I would say. 

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Riiiight.  So "colloquially understood" that CBS stated he "battled depression" even though he clearly didn't?  

Listen. I'm gonna say this and let it go. You can have the last word, that's all well and good. I worked for nearly two years for a job I hated. It was terrible. My personal and family relationships suffered because of it. I wasn't myself. I lost a sense of purpose. In hindsight, I think it's quite possible I was depressed -- I didn't seek help at the time but probably should've. I don't have some certificate but I also don't think I'm being a POS insensitive wanker by saying "I had a job once that really made me struggle with depression." You saying Jamal "clearly didn't suffer depression" is mighty presumptuous of you. You never know what's going on inside another person. Outward appearances can be extremely deceiving. Believe me, I know first hand.

Now let's talk about football or something.

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Maybe they are worth more.  The can't miss guys are still can't miss.  It's the lower tier guys that we will know nothing about.  

look at the last 4 first round picks for seattle 

there's few cant miss players at 28, even in a regular year 

jets fans don't remember this because we've sucked for 10 years but the picks at 1.31 are not the same at 1.6

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

If it's just about what safety is present when the team succeeds, is it fair to say that Eric Smith and Jim Leonhard are both better than Adams?

i guess it all depends on one's definition of success

if memory serves those two played in the Revis era secondary 

if we are making false comparisons, Adams is more like the Revis than the Leonard 

LMAO he was depressed cuz JD took a call from the Jerry Jones. Not some BS story about going 7-9. Also, shove 15 mil down his throat and that depression would wave goodbye. F*cking a**hole. I wanted him to stay since we've been stinking at draft picks but now I wish someone break this big mouths jaw. Where’s Enemkpali??