Jamal Adams suffered from depression while playing for Jets, “they do not want to win”

Rhg1084

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

It's been a whopping 5 games for Jamal Adams but yet these lunatics rather look @ Seattle's Defense instead of focus on our own Jets defense and realize how bad our Defense has truly been since #33's departure. 

At the end of the day Jamal's on field JET greatness resulted in a Khalil Mack type of haul so if we're to draft a player such as Kyle Pitts/Rondale Moore/Terrace Marshall Jr with our Seattle pick? lol

I'll forever mush those players in the faces of Jamal pundits like no tomorrow; because without Jamal's greatness as a Jet? We get nothingness in return and Jerry Jones doesn't beg for him and Seattle's front office doesn't give us two 1st's and a 3rd (to begin with). 

Thank you Jamal Adams (because of your play I have two 1st round picks + a 3rd to be excited about). 

So JD gets 5-6 years?

But Jamal Adams gets a whopping 5 games? lol. 

Laughable. 

But Jamal Adams IS the lunaic.

59 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Should we only draft kids from Catholic And Christian schools? How about church choir boys? 

Thnx God Cincinnati Bengals didn't feel like you do lol

Joe Burrow was a blue chip QB prospect who sh*t on literally every team in his path during his last collegiate season.

Jamal Adams was a glorified LB with a big mouth who would beat his chest and talk sh*t after making a big hit 12 yards past the LoS.

Between Odell, Jamal, Fournette, and a dude like Terrace Marshall who seems to be cut from the same cloth judging by his social media posts...yeah, there might be something to this “steer clear of LSU goofs who think they’re the greatest thing since sliced bread” line of thinking.

56 minutes ago, jgb said:

Mental health is highly personal. Often extreme braggadocio and outward confidence are defense mechanisms carefully crafted to disguise one's struggles from the world. You cannot diagnose someone as having or not having depression based on their tweets or media interviews. "But he seems fine to me" is not a diagnosis.

This is certainly true.  But, "The Jets caused my depression" is pretty absurd when not said as a joke.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

This is certainly true.  But, "The Jets caused my depression" is pretty absurd when not said as a joke.

Many or even most people who are depressed don't know what the cause is -- and in fact there isn't really a "cause" in a traditional sense. They seek to attribute it to something tangible because then it doesn't seem like such a daunting challenge to overcome. 

• Post of the Week 1

55 minutes ago, jgb said:

From a homeless person's perspective, a plumber can't be depressed because he has a roof over his head. And from his perspective, an officer worker can't be depressed because he doesn't have to break his back at the office every day. And then the office vice president can't be depressed because he drives a Porsche and so on and so on. Depression is not a contest of who has the most grievances about life.

FYI Robin Williams' estate was worth between $50M and $100M when he killed himself.

I completely agree with you. I didn’t mean that he can’t be depressed I meant the quality of his organization shouldn’t depress him. Like I said it’s simple especially for a player like him who teams would trade for. Be professional about it and ask for a trade. I do, however, think he’s spewing bullsh*t though. 

23 minutes ago, jgb said:

Many or even most people who are depressed don't know what the cause is -- and in fact there isn't really a "cause" in a traditional sense. They seek to attribute it to something tangible because then it doesn't seem like such a daunting challenge to overcome. 

Ok - Then we should expect the transition to the Seattle not to alleviate said depression, no?

2 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Ok - Then we should expect the transition to the Seattle not to alleviate said depression, no?

Way more complicated than that. It’s not binary. Some cases you can self manage when things are going relatively well in your life but when things get rough it becomes overwhelming. For others it’s a constant weight no matter how much success someone has achieved in life (like Robin Williams).

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Way more complicated than that. It’s not binary. Some cases you can self manage when things are going relatively well in your life but when things get rough it becomes overwhelming. For others it’s a constant weight no matter how much success someone has achieved in life (like Robin Williams).

I'm not speaking about his success as a reason that he can't be depressed, as some may have alluded to.  Plenty of successful people are depressed, and struggle with a myriad of mental illnesses.  Additionally, I'm certainly familiar with differentials in coping capacity and limited coping mechanisms, but I'm struggling to see 'losing football games' as "when things get rough."

Just now, TeddEY said:

I'm not speaking about his success as a reason that he can't be depressed, as some may have alluded to.  Plenty of successful people are depressed, and struggle with a myriad of mental illnesses.  Additionally, I'm certainly familiar with differentials in coping capacity and limited coping mechanisms, but I'm struggling to see 'losing football games' as "when things get rough."

Jeez, look at this @TeddEY guy over here, suddenly acting like he's some kind of professional at this sort of thing.

Some people, right?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I’m certainly not going to — because I am neither qualified nor is it possible — diagnosis Jamal’s specific situation from his tweets and public statements but what I’m saying is that if people could accurately identify the root cause of their mental struggles, be completely open to themself and others about it, and make a simple life change to fix it, there wouldn’t be shrinks. Jamal could be bs’ing completely, being flippant by using the word “depression,” be depressed and actually believe playing for the Jets caused it, be depressed and know the Jets didn’t cause it but that’s a helluva lot easier and less scary then him saying he has no idea where it comes from and how to make it stop, or he is trying to insult mental health sufferers by diminishing actual sufferers of depression. I can’t handicap each scenario but I do know that the last one is the least likely by a huge margin. 

edit: the pun in last sentence was completely unintentional and not meant to belittle those with disabilities 

Just now, Bleedin Green said:

Jeez, look at this @TeddEY guy over here, suddenly acting like he's some kind of professional at this sort of thing.

Some people, right?

Multiple people in this thread, who are professionals in mental health, have explained with confidence why Jamal Adams was not dealing with clinical depression.  Still not good enough for some, apparently.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, jgb said:

I’m certainly not going to — because I am neither qualified nor is it possible — diagnosis Jamal’s specific situation from his tweets and public statements but what I’m saying is that if people could accurately identify the root cause of their mental struggles, be completely open to themself and others about it, and make a simple life change to fix it, there wouldn’t be shrinks. Jamal could be bs’ing completely, being flippant by using the word “depression,” be depressed and actually believe playing for the Jets caused it, be depressed and know the Jets didn’t cause it but that’s a helluva lot easier and less scary then him saying he has no idea where it comes from and how to make it stop, or he is trying to insult mental health sufferers by diminishing actual sufferers of depression. I can’t handicap each scenario but I do know that the last one is the least likely by a huge margin. 

edit: the pun in last sentence was completely unintentional and not meant to belittle those with disabilities 

I appreciate the thoughtfulness of this response... By no means do I imagine he is trying to actively diminish those who are actually suffering.  I hope that is clear.

I already said what I believe, that this is about image management.  And, I believe, in Jamal Adams egotistical mind (I think we can say this with confidence) that his disappointment and frustration over losing is "battling depression."  Similar to how 'avoiding STDs' was a 'personal Vietnam.'

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

You're the liar. 

What. You know more about Jamal than his own mom and dad do?!?

I see a difference in him. My wife sees a difference in him,” George Adams said. “It’s like his first time going off to college. He’s so happy. We see that gleam in his eye again. He loves it there, man. I’m telling you, he loves it.”

I wonder if he will lose that gleam when he is playing for another team next season.. say.. the Browns. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

.@Jetsfan80

You better never let me catch you talking about a potential pass rusher for the Jets... Ever again. 

Because I'll simply apply that Jamal Adams treatment to that player and ask you exactly how many times was he sent on a blitz and FAILED to make a sack?!?!?

lol 

Godforsaken a Jets player had 5 1/2 sacks after only 5 games (while learning a new defense) you'd be sucking him off. 

Nobody worries about catching them, most of all @Jetsfan80. Other than the wall of text response we usually get. 

As to the strawman point you were trying to make. This is like saying my 3-4 OLB has the most interceptions among OLBs. But he’s not great at pass rushing or stopping the run. Nobody would be a fan of that. In fact the player was named dion jordan out of college and most people here wanted no part of it. The whole idea of a pass rusher is exactly the opposite of what you are talking about. Getting to QB without having to blitz. Once again you miss the mark by a country mile with your diatribe. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I appreciate the thoughtfulness of this response... By no means do I imagine he is trying to actively diminish those who are actually suffering.  I hope that is clear.

I already said what I believe, that this is about image management.  And, I believe, in Jamal Adams egotistical mind (I think we can say this with confidence) that his disappointment and frustration over losing is "battling depression."  Similar to how 'avoiding STDs' was a 'personal Vietnam.'

I also think Jamal is a loud mouthed jerk what set me off—I know it wasn’t you—is those who tried to twist his comment into a case of Jamal Adams harming depression sufferers, especially when one considers that “depression” has a colloquial meaning outside its clinical meaning—like “crazy.” Maybe in the future using those words incorrectly will carry the same stigma as “retarded” but that’s not where language is right now. There’s plenty of other reasons to hate Jamal without attributing some convoluted motive to him based on a video clip.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Multiple people in this thread, who are professionals in mental health, have explained with confidence why Jamal Adams was not dealing with clinical depression.  Still not good enough for some, apparently.

Let me be clear - I don't know if Jamal Adams is depressed.  Maybe he is.  He may be Anxious, Schizophrenic, Narcissistic, Gender Dysphoric, Dissociative, or Paraphillic too.  I do doubt it, but I don't know.

But, I do know a few things.  And, most of what I know, make his comments sound more like malingering than depression when looking at the more negative view, and simply a poor understanding of depression mixed with a proclivity to eschew blame and to whine, when looked at more generously.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

I also think Jamal is a loud mouthed jerk what set me off—I know it wasn’t you—is those who tried to twist his comment into a case of Jamal Adams harming depression sufferers, especially when one considers that “depression” has a colloquial meaning outside its clinical meaning—like “crazy.” There’s plenty of other reasons to hate someone without attributing some convoluted motive to him based on a video clip.

Agreed.  By no means do I interpret his actions as malicious.  Immature?  Self-Serving?  Ignorant?  Yah Huh.  But, with the intent to harm?  Nuh Uh.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

Agreed.  By no means do I interpret his actions as malicious.  Immature?  Self-Serving?  Ignorant?  Yah Huh.  But, with the intent to harm?  Nuh Uh.

I second this as another healthcare professional. 

#symbolicpenis

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I’d have to challenge that. I’m not a HC professional but everything I’ve ever read is that no ethical HC professional will tell you that can can diagnose mental conditions via public statements—ok I guess schizophrenia maybe. This usually comes up in the context of media doing personality profiles of Presidents and other public officials. Now I would agree that playing for the Jets can’t “cause” depression. Because again, depression doesn’t have a traditional cause/trigger like that although stress can certainly making an underlying condition more challenging to cope with.

8 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

He was probably just shooting his big mouth off but turning him into Johnny Knoxville from “The Ringer” for it is just ridiculous 

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

I’d have to challenge that. I’m not a HC professional but everything I’ve ever read is that no ethical HC professional will tell you that can can diagnose mental illnesses via public statements. This usually comes up in the context of Presidents and other public officials. Now I would agree that playing for the Jets can’t “cause” depression. Because again, depression doesn’t have a traditional cause/trigger like that although stress can certainly making an underlying condition more challenging to cope with.

Not one of us will say that he can’t have clinical depression. What I can say is that his way of describing the situation is disingenuous and ignorant. His comments unintentionally are harmful to the community that struggles with depression. To @TeddEY’s point it appears that his comments come from a self serving place which is why as people in the field we gave a strong negative action. CBS is also complicit in acting like this was a positive sharing moment when in fact it was not. 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, TheMo said:

Not one of us will say that he can’t have clinical depression. What I can say is that his way of describing the situation is disingenuous and ignorant. His comments unintentionally are harmful to the community that struggles with depression. To @TeddEY’s point it appears that his comments come from a self serving place which is why as people in the field we gave a strong negative action. CBS is also complicit in acting like this was a positive sharing moment when in fact it was not. 

Thanks, maybe this is the next area where we as a society need to focus on choosing words carefully so we don’t throw around words like “Gase is crazy!” and “I’m so depressed the store is out of my favorite candy.” Probably too much to expect dudes like Jamal Adams to be leading these pioneering efforts, however. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, pointman said:

I wonder if he will lose that gleam when he is playing for another team next season.. say.. the Browns. 

Cleveland ranks right up there with Seattle in terms of the weather as well.  Have you ever been to Seattle for more than a couple days?  Pretty miserable.  For a guy like Adams who is from Texas don't underestimate how things like the weather can affect someone.  I'm no mental health expert, but it's been medically proven that environmental conditions like a lack of sunlight, semi-constant rain, etc. can have some negative effects on the moods of people.  And we all know...

Game Of Thrones GIF