Pierre Desir Released

28 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

1-year band-aid signings by their very nature rarely work out, so it makes little sense why Douglas gets criticized so heavily on those.  I admit that I thought Desir could at least be a capable CB2, so this was certainly disappointing, but by the very design of the last offseason, it should not be surprising to anyone that his 1-year pickups aren't doing well.

The FA he deserves criticism for are the guys he signed to deals that will keep them here beyond 2020.  Most notably McGovern's, whose downturn in play makes almost no sense.  If that signing ends up a bust, that's a big deal, because he was suppose to be a locked in starter on the IOL in 2021.  Him failing would mean we have to devote even more resources to the OL than we thought we would.

It’s almost like we run an offensive system that seems to stifle any and all talent no matter the position.  In all seriousness though, I can’t think of any offensive players that have actually gotten better or developed in this system.  And the players we’ve brought in that have had success elsewhere immediately turn bad.  

I’m not bashing Gase here, but there really seems to be something horribly flawed about his system/scheme.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

No. Xavier Rhodes is an UFA next year. He’s next.  We will do this until we get it right!

As an FSU fan Xavier is still to this day one of my All-Time favorite Seminole DBs amongst the likes of Antonio Cromartie, Jalen Ramsey and Derwin James who I've really enjoyed watching on Saturdays therefore the FSU fan in me would love to have him in Green and White as a Jet because I absolutely love his leadership ability on an NFL level so my heart is telling me yes, but my mind is telling me no; only because by the time 2021 comes around he'll then be 31 years old come next year and despite Pro Bowl seasons throughout 2016/2017/2019 etc just our luck he'll completely begin to break down right in front of our eyes immediately thereafter. 

Rhodes is way more talented than Trumaine/Desir ever were (combined) but something about a 31 year old FA CB is enough for me to say no. 

Speaking of FSU DB's the next great one on an NFL playing field is going to be Asante Samuel Jr. I love everything about this kid. Recruited out of a legendary H.S Football program down here in Florida (St. Thomas Aquinas) and has been lights out as an FSU Seminoles CB. As a program we've struggled as of late which I believe will drop his draft stock and instead of a sure fire 1st round lock I believe he'll fall into the 2nd round and if he's still available with the 1st pick of the 3rd round... I believe he's a no brainier. I'm really hoping he drops to us. 

• Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, Rob Moore said:

It’s almost like we run an offensive system that seems to stifle any and all talent no matter the position.  In all seriousness though, I can’t think of any offensive players that have actually gotten better or developed in this system.  And the players we’ve brought in that have had success elsewhere immediately turn bad.  

I’m not bashing Gase here, but there really seems to be something horribly flawed about his system/scheme.

You should be bashing Gase. Pretty much every player he's coached since 2015 has been worse under his tutelage than elsewhere.

Prepare for plenty of 2019-20 Jets to produce on other teams in the very near future.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

1-year band-aid signings by their very nature rarely work out, so it makes little sense why Douglas gets criticized so heavily on those.  I admit that I thought Desir could at least be a capable CB2, so this was certainly disappointing, but by the very design of the last offseason, it should not be surprising to anyone that his 1-year pickups aren't doing well.

The FA he deserves criticism for are the guys he signed to deals that will keep them here beyond 2020.  Most notably McGovern's, whose downturn in play makes almost no sense.  If that signing ends up a bust, that's a big deal, because he was suppose to be a locked in starter on the IOL in 2021.  Him failing would mean we have to devote even more resources to the OL than we thought we would.

The idea that he signed guys for 1 year, knowing they would suck is more of your same old excuse making for JD and absolving him of any accountability for having the worst roster arguably in the history of the NFL.  He didnt sign Desir with the expectation he'd be cutting him midseason.  That's an asinine take.   You sign them hoping they play there way into a 2nd contract like Poole did last year.  His plan wasnt to swing and miss on everyone and go 0-16. 

He hasnt hit on anything yet, not a single solitary player.  His FA have been a disaster.  Why you excuse this away is bizarre. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

As an FSU fan Xavier is still to this day one of my All-Time favorite Seminole DBs amongst the likes of Antonio Cromartie, Jalen Ramsey and Derwin James who I've really enjoyed watching on Saturdays therefore the FSU fan in me would love to have him in Green and White as a Jet because I absolutely love his leadership ability on an NFL level so my heart is telling me yes, but my mind is telling me no; only because by the time 2021 comes around he'll then be 31 years old come next year and despite Pro Bowl seasons throughout 2016/2017/2019 etc just our luck he'll completely begin to break down right in front of our eyes immediately thereafter. 

Rhodes is way more talented than Trumaine/Desir ever were (combined) but something about a 31 year old FA CB is enough for me to say no. 

Speaking of FSU DB's the next great one on an NFL playing field is going to be Asante Samuel Jr. I love everything about this kid. Recruited out of a legendary H.S Football program down here in Florida (St. Thomas Aquinas) and has been lights out as an FSU Seminoles CB. As a program we've struggled as of late which I believe will drop his draft stock and instead of a sure fire 1st round lock I believe he'll fall into the 2nd round and if he's still available with the 1st pick of the 3rd round... I believe he's a no brainier. I'm really hoping he drops to us. 

I’m a fan of bloodlines but the limited cut ups I saw (read: YouTube highlights) I wasn’t impressed with his coverage, and his celebrations are way better than his tackles. If rather see sticky PBUs than fist pumping and finger wagging after a lame tackle. 

6 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

I’m a fan of bloodlines but the limited cut ups I saw (read: YouTube highlights) I wasn’t impressed with his coverage, and his celebrations are way better than his tackles. If rather see sticky PBUs than fist pumping and finger wagging after a lame tackle. 

He's a freaking kid man. Who plays hard and has fun on the field. I watch every FSU game and he's an awesome player; I'd love to draft him just like I wanted Davin Cook (another player who had fun on the field). 

23 minutes ago, JiF said:

The idea that he signed guys for 1 year, knowing they would suck is more of your same old excuse making for JD and absolving him of any accountability for having the worst roster arguably in the history of the NFL.  He didnt sign Desir with the expectation he'd be cutting him midseason.  That's an asinine take.   You sign them hoping they play there way into a 2nd contract like Poole did last year.  His plan wasnt to swing and miss on everyone and go 0-16. 

He hasnt hit on anything yet, not a single solitary player.  His FA have been a disaster.  Why you excuse this away is bizarre. 

Better to move on quickly then hang on, extend them off a good stretch and then regret it after 3 years of crap I guess. 

46 minutes ago, JiF said:

I think Fant & Van Roten have been decent (McGovern, not so much). 

34 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

He's a freaking kid man. Who plays hard and has fun on the field. I watch every FSU game and he's an awesome player; I'd love to draft him just like I wanted Davin Cook (another player who had fun on the field). 

Hey, you’re right. I went back and watched more of his highlights. He’s pretty fun to watch. 

• Upvote 1

This is just a bad optic. If they're letting the kids play then start Morgan not Joe Frankenstein Flacco.

And the photo below is absolutely real look it up on Bing! It says the Jets are a pop warner youth football team playing in the NFL.

Looks like I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue!

Just type in New York Jets!

Screenshot_20201117-000944.png

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The thing is, McGovern has not panned out as well.  BUT...

How much does constantly losing weigh on guys?  If you are 0-9 and seeing no victories in sight, your efforts might start to wean,

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

37 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Hey, you’re right. I went back and watched more of his highlights. He’s pretty fun to watch. 

He's my favorite player to watch this year. I just love the heart and absolute  fire that he plays with in comparison to Marvin Wilson who before his injury imo is super overrated. 

Aging 30 yo FA CBs like Trumaine and Desir have been boring for me I'm really looking forward to seeing what the young pups in Bless and especially Bryce Hall have to offer @ CB and if Asante Samuel Jr falls to the 1st pick of the 3rd round (I doubt it) I'd love to add him into the mixture of Bless/Hall. 

3 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I'll admit and can't be too hard on JD with this one because I thought as a fan that Desir was going to become really good for us and I was absolutely tricked into falling for the hype and believing that he still had CB ability; due to his lockdown postseason performance against DeAndre Hopkins a couple of years ago. 

We may never find another #24 Darrelle Revis of his prime throughout the draft again, but after Trumaine and now Desir the days of signing 30 year old Free Agent CB's must come to an end. 

Hopefully Bless Austin and Bryce Hall can develop into very good homegrown drafted Jet CB's because both had Round 1 talent before college injuries...

and if not we may need to draft CB's with both of our 3rd round picks this year along with a 2022 1st rounder @ CB too.

Agreed.  You can include the 2nd Revis signing in that futile effort to find another Revis.

• Haha 1

Jd has made about ten bad moves in a year and is proving to be terrible/- his apologists defended Mac and Izadick too

the tank was not planned but a result of a terrible coach and a terrible gm

0/16 and Gase and JD have defenders - only in jet land 

spare me the he has a plan nonsense for both Gase and Jd//40+ years of going to over 300 games I know how this movie ends

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

You should be bashing Gase. Pretty much every player he's coached since 2015 has been worse under his tutelage than elsewhere.

Prepare for plenty of 2019-20 Jets to produce on other teams in the very near future.

Oh don’t get me wrong I’m totally down for some Gase bashing.  I give him credit for giving up play calling, etc.  But the system itself (beyond his deficiencies) just seems broken.  There’s so many examples of players that have thrived after Gase.  But I think, more damning is that hardly any players have improved/developed in his system.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, kmnj said:

Jd has made about ten bad moves in a year and is proving to be terrible/- his apologists defended Mac and Izadick too

the tank was not planned but a result of a terrible coach and a terrible gm

0/16 and Gase and JD have defenders - only in jet land 

spare me the he has a plan nonsense for both Gase and Jd//40+ years of going to over 300 games I know how this movie ends

Leonardo Dicaprio Reaction GIF

14 hours ago, JiF said:

So you think all 3 of Fant, GVR and McGovern are bad players?  Have you seen any of the breakdowns of their play lately?

Desir sucked, he was on a 1 year $4 million deal - who cares.  

3 minutes ago, BCJet said:

The staff, players and fans?  He was signed as a starter and he sucked.  More importantly, Desir sucked, but none of the other players Douglas brought in were any better.  I have some minor hope for Hall, but that is it.  He recreated the 2017 Colts secondary.  Go look at how terrible they were.  This guys sole purpose was to be better than Maurice Canady and he failed miserably at that purpose.

16 hours ago, Beerfish said:

He made some okay plays early as in being there despite catches and he had some ints.  The thing that totally did him in last game was total lack of effort, as in jogging around.  It was awful.

100%.  He was pulled in an earlier game, maybe it was SF? for dogging it and not competing.  

JD was hoping he would go back to the player who competed and it just didnt happen.  Move on time.  Play the kids, lets see what Hall has.

7 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

We signed him to a 1 year 4M deal. That's not big ticket.

But this is pure "let the kids play" - and it forces a coaching staff that was still trotting out the vet to do the right thing. 

And it probably tells you that a decision has been made on the future of the HC already.

26 minutes ago, BCJet said:

So you think all 3 of Fant, GVR and McGovern are bad players?  Have you seen any of the breakdowns of their play lately?

McGovern has been nothing short of a disaster.  GVR has been ok and Fant is not good.   And yes, I prefer signing players who, like, dont suck because adding good players is better than adding bad players.