Is there hope for the Jets rebuild? The Dolphins and Cardinals prove there is

joewilly12

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Why?

What has Gase done this year to lead you to believe he's not a good head coach?  A decade of bad drafts and two years of dreadful injuries are not his doing.  The guy is as big a victim in all of this as you and I are.  The media has stirred all this hatred up as a way to get clicks from the gullible.  Don't fall for it.

Judge Gase by how he has transformed the front office, got rid of malcontents, straightened out the culture, got Douglas to join, has new players like Becton and Mims playing at an encouraging level, and is keeping the team focused and playing very hard.  I've never seen an 0-9 team playing this hard.  They are 0-9 because of roster mismanagement, not coaching.

SAR I

I hear what you’re saying and understand the logic. But I just don’t think that he’s a good X’s and O’s Coach. The #’s don’t lie. He just isn’t. This includes his entire body of work (Dolphins, bears, broncos) if it wasn’t for Peyton, where would he be?

But I digress. What kills me the most is this if you back pedal for a second, the guy was hired to supposedly develop Sam. He hasn’t. Yes, part of the blame falls on Sam’s lap. He’s been too injured . But wasn’t Gase hired to make this guy better?  Im no QB guru, but I don’t see any technical improvement in Sam. His footwork still stinks and he still lacks poise in the pocket.( compare him to Allen and it’s night and day)

His offensive lacks creativity. Gase doesn’t game plan around Sam’s strengths. Watching the Jets offence is like watching a kid try and stick a square peg in a round hole. Oh, and he doesn’t allow him to audible?

If the Jets are doing what you’re saying that they’re doing, well I think they got the wrong guy. It’s too much of a risk. What do you think all the talk about Lawrence staying in school really is all about? It’s an indictment on Gase.

Well, let’s say Lawrence does enter the draft. So now we’re expected to leave Lawrence’s future in Gase’s hands?

I wouldn’t. I don’t think Woody will either. Remember he’s coming back. He left his little brother the keys to a franchise with a promising franchise QB to boot only  to return to this? The team’s worst off now than when he left! And that’s saying a lot!

Nothing anymore surprises me when it comes to the Johnsons. but, I’m hoping John tells Jim that JD is good guy and he ends up coaching the Jets....big fat contract and all.

Yes, the last 2 GM’s were just plain awful. My son who seems pretty good on Madden NFL would have a done a better job that those 2 clowns. So, I’m 100% all in with the purge, but we need a visionary if you will at head coach. 

Just one fan’s opinion.

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Slow down, professor. We'd have to start with not being a national embarrassment until we can talk about winning.

Do you disagree that to build it back up it needed to be fully torn down?  Do you believe firing Bowles and Maccagnan was the wrong decision?  Do you disagree with any of the players we let go or the majority of the players we have added?

The entire league believes we have the worst roster.  The record reflects this.  We are a national embarrassment because of decisions made in 2013 and 2015, not 2020.

SAR I

1 hour ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

I hear what you’re saying and understand the logic. But I just don’t think that he’s a good X’s and O’s Coach. The #’s don’t lie. He just isn’t. This includes his entire body of work (Dolphins, bears, broncos) if it wasn’t for Peyton, where would he be?

I can't dispute the numbers, they are facts after all.  But what we need is a head coach that is good when the team is good and Gase has proven that.  If he sucks when his roster sucks, well, who cares?  A lousy roster isn't winning anything.  What matters is that Gase has had success in several locales with several quarterbacks when the roster was ready to win.  What he and we look like when we lose is immaterial.

What kills me the most is this if you back pedal for a second, the guy was hired to supposedly develop Sam. He hasn’t. Yes, part of the blame falls on Sam’s lap. He’s been too injured . But wasn’t Gase hired to make this guy better?  Im no QB guru, but I don’t see any technical improvement in Sam. His footwork still stinks and he still lacks poise in the pocket.( compare him to Allen and it’s night and day)

I held onto the dream that Darnold was the second coming but in reality he's not.  He's just not a great quarterback.  Yes, he's a victim of the bad roster just like Gase is, but Gase isn't making dumb mistakes.  Gase isn't the one with the bad footwork, the bad reads, the bad throws, the bad pocket sense.  That's all on Darnold.  And, let's be honest-  Sam has spent more time with Jordan Palmer than Adam Gase, Dowell Loggains, any of them.  The guy had a 4 month quarantine with no distractions, no broads, just football 24/7.  Josh Allen looks like a rock star.  Sam Darnold looks like a high school boy.  I can't pin this on Gase.  It's Sam.

His offensive lacks creativity.

No one could show creativity with the WR's we've put on the field this season or last.  It's unfortunate but WR has been our area of weakness for 10 years save 2015, and once injured, forget it.  Elite WR's win the 50/50 balls, elite WR's run great routes, elite WR's make space.  We no gots.  If Gase tried to run some Bill Walsh Don Coryell system here the turnovers would be unimaginable, would be making a bad situation worse.

Well, let’s say Lawrence does enter the draft. So now we’re expected to leave Lawrence’s future in Gase’s hands?

Gase gets 1 year with Lawrence and Douglas gets 1 year with major draft capital and big free agency bucks.  If we don't show improvement and if Lawrence doesn't look right we move on in 2022.  But for 2021, we are in reconstruction mode.  We tore it down to the foundation.  This isn't the time to get a hot young college coach or rookie coordinator.  The mess is to much, the cut too deep.  Not perfect timing, but if Lawrence is the second coming of John Elway, he can handle it.  John Elway did.  Dan Reeves went 2-7 the year before he got Elway.

SAR I