Steve Cohen on buying Jets: “Trust me, no shot”

Lizard King

Having a billionaire owner is much more important in baseball (unlimited salary cap ala NY Yankees) than it is regarding NFL Football (salary cap). 

Just because he grew up a Jets fan doesn't mean he'd become a good NFL owner. 

The Johnson's don't need to sell the team, they just simply need to hire a great front office who runs football operations (hopefully JD becomes their guy moving forward). 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Having a billionaire owner is much more important in baseball (unlimited salary cap ala NY Yankees) than it is regarding NFL Football (salary cap). 

The Johnson's don't need to sell the team, they just simply need to hire a great front office who runs football operations (hopefully JD becomes their guy moving forward). 

If he made it so the GM hires the coach and the coach answers to the GM, following the natural football hierarchy.. it would be an instant improvement. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Having someone who is self made, knows how to consistently run a professional operation with excellent results, and also happens to be one of the greatest forecasters of profitable endeavors was more what I was thinking. 

the billions are more like the points he accrued being right so often ... curious what current ownership could put up as a comparison on their own merits not being lucky sperm 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

25 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Yep.  If/When Gase is Fired, Jd will be that guy. Then maybe in a few years of success we can push the loser accountants out  of the president of football operations position too. Imagine that. Having football people running a football team.  Crazy. 

• Post of the Week 1

38 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

It's not about money, it is about knowing how to run an an organization and delegate properly.

You know what was refreshing to hear at Cohen's press conference? He is not looking to make money off his team. He said he does that with his business. The team is for the fans.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

It's not about money, it is about knowing how to run an an organization and delegate properly.

You know what was refreshing to hear at Cohen's press conference? He is not looking to make money off his team. He said he does that with his business. The team is for the fans.

Well let's see how he does with the Mets before crowning him a sports guro. 

No one has crowned him any type of "guru". He has a history of running his businesses with discipline and hiring experts in their field to do their job, while he supplies the resources.
The biggest thing for Mets fans is that he is not the Wilpons. That is already a huge upgrade.
Most serfs refer to their noblemen as douchbags

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Haha 1

Chris Johnson has done a bad job since taking over for Woody. There is no viable argument against this. Woody will be back soon and as much as we enjoy complaining about him we have had some success with him as an owner before. There is an excellent chance that Woody comes back and fires Gase, which would be a start. Assuming that Woody is willing to continue to spend, which has done in the past, he is an acceptable owner so long as he hires the right people. This next coaching hire is vital, but it isn't as though we are doomed for eternity just because we are the Jets. One could argue that we are in a much better position today than we were at this time last year. We are trending in the right direction under Douglas. It takes time to undo basically a decade of failed drafts.

14 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I don't think the thing we're pining for is a billionaire owner. Just anyone but the two incompetent trust fund babies that have driven this franchise into the ground.

3 hours ago, AFerg726 said:

Woody will be back soon and as much as we enjoy complaining about him we have had some success with him as an owner before. There is an excellent chance that Woody comes back and fires Gase, which would be a start. Assuming that Woody is willing to continue to spend, which has done in the past, he is an acceptable owner so long as he hires the right people. This next coaching hire is vital, but it isn't as though we are doomed for eternity just because we are the Jets. One could argue that we are in a much better position today than we were at this time last year. We are trending in the right direction under Douglas. It takes time to undo basically a decade of failed drafts.

Can you share with us what drugs you are taking and and where we can get them?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

I don't think the thing we're pining for is a billionaire owner. Just anyone but the two incompetent trust fund babies that have driven this franchise into the ground.

I know Hess won us our only SB but I remember my grandfather absolutely hated that man for moving us away from and stealing us away from QUEENS!

4 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I know Hess won us our only SB but I remember my grandfather absolutely hated that man for moving us away from and stealing us away from QUEENS!

Queens is no place for a professional sports franchise.  I don't know of any Manhattan executives who long to go to Queens on a Sunday afternoon.

Can't say I miss the Montreal Expos pennant between the goalposts, the dirt infield, or how the Mets treated us like absolute trash.  The defending Super Bowl Champions started the first 5 games on the road in 1969 as the Mets banished us from our own stadium, nice.

SAR I

20 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

You don’t even know what kind of an owner he’ll be.  20 years ago everyone thought Snyder would be great.

The guy could be a massive interfering disaster.  

+1

Mets fans get an owner with money and they get excited.  Then they realize there are 30 owners who also have money and they get sad.

SAR I

51 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

He was the freaking owner so of course he had something to do with it...

Screenshot_20201120-123007.thumb.png.8c0c029f9ec6991f37f516229a472818.png

But nonetheless I still remember my grandfather absolutely hated that man for stealing his Jets away from QUEENS! 

This is misleading if not outright incorrect.

Leon Hess was part of a group of people who bought out Sonny Werblin in 1968. Leon Hess had literally nothing to do with the championship team.

Through the 70s he bought out his partners. He was not majority owner until 73ish and become sole owner in the early 80s.

What is frustrating about Hess was - besides moving the team (something that shall never be forgiven) - he was actually a self-made, wildly successful businessman.  But he never held the people who ran the football operations accountable. He was a horrible owner in every way.

17 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Problem is that Johnsons have no other business interests. The Jets are their business, and that's how they treat it. And because of league revenue share, a cheap loser makes more money with a lot less risk than an expensive winner.

We need an owner who owns the team because he wants to see his gladiators beat up the other billionaire's gladiators so he can brag on the yacht circuit.