Ex-Jets QB Mark Sanchez: It might be time for Sam Darnold to move on

joewilly12

11 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Totally. I don't "hate" Sanchez but it's a tough pill to swallow that we basically had a Super Bowl caliber team in 09-10 and the guy led the league in turnovers.

And not just led the league, he set an NFL record for turnovers over a 4-year period.  This can't be stressed enough.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Daddy Wang Doodle said:

Damn lots of saltiness in this thread. Sanchez was by no means a good (or even average) qb here, but it doesn't make his comments incorrect

But he IS incorrect, and should know as well as anyone.  Darnold isn't going to be "fixed" by going to a new team, just like Sanchez wasn't "fixed".  The best place for Sanchez was New York, because the franchise continued to believe in him despite zero evidence to support this belief, and handed him a massive contract he never would have gotten somewhere else.

If it hadn't been for that preseason injury, Sanchez would have remained the team's starter in 2013, at least in Week 1.  He couldn't even hold down a QB2 job elsewhere.  Darnold is headed for a similar fate.  The only meaningful difference is, unlike Sanchez, Darnold wasn't able to get that big 2nd contract here before the Jets (and presumably the rest of the league) figured out he was sh*t.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

But he IS incorrect, and should know as well as anyone.  Darnold isn't going to be "fixed" by going to a new team, just like Sanchez wasn't "fixed".  The best place for Sanchez was New York, because the franchise continued to believe in him despite zero evidence to support this belief, and handed him a massive contract he never would have gotten somewhere else.

If it hadn't been for that preseason injury, Sanchez would have remained the team's starter in 2013, at least in Week 1.  He couldn't even hold down a QB2 job elsewhere.  Darnold is headed for a similar fate.  The only meaningful difference is, unlike Sanchez, Darnold wasn't able to get that big 2nd contract here before the Jets (and presumably the rest of the league) figured out he was sh*t.

I didn't read the entire thing, so if he said he can be "fixed" he's probably wrong, yes.

"Moving on" however, whether it's the Jets from Darnold or vice versa, is the correct take imo.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I mean, to be fair dude, he had those handful of good games in the Chip Kelly offense.  Ah, memories.  

Define "good", because the only thing that I remember about his time in Philly is that my father (an Iggles fan) thought Mark Sanchez was a bum, lol.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And not just led the league, he set an NFL record for turnovers over a 4-year period.  This can't be stressed enough.  

This is particularly incredible to me because the 09-10 Jets teams led the league in rushing attempts and easily had a top 2 or 3 running game (top1 in 2009). 

Sanchez was legitimately bad. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Dunnie said:

I gotta say the guys that hate on Samchez .. I dont get it ... dude was not great ... but far from bust and gave his all while was here ...in spite of rex... just dont get it.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

Screw you Mark Sanchez , you don’t eat a hotdog on the sideline. ( still ticks me off today). Why the butt fumble was so enjoyable to me.

• Sympathy 1

23 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

This is particularly incredible to me because the 09-10 Jets teams led the league in rushing attempts and easily had a top 2 or 3 running game (top1 in 2009). 

Sanchez was legitimately bad. 

No QB in league history outside of Sanchez could somehow manage to lose a game where his team rushed for 300+ yards.  He found a way to do it.

I still don't understand why Sanchez has his defenders here.  Not to mention those who still say the Jets "ruined" him, even though he walked into a great set of circumstances.  Best OL in the game, best defense, and tons of veteran leadership to lean on.  

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

STFU you bust (held back a great Defense, great run game, great O-Line and needed Rex Ryan to implement Green Light/Red Light signs to stop you from throwing INTs in practice and even needed NY Yankees trainers to teach you how to slide you JAG). 

https://youtu.be/vrP4llkRS2c (Butt Fumble)

A “ Triple threat” in the wrong direction! Bwahaha , that’s funny 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Spoot-Face said:

Define "good", because the only thing that I remember about his time in Philly is that my father (an Iggles fan) thought Mark Sanchez was a bum, lol.

He somehow managed to put together 5 games in Philly where he had a 95+ QB rating.  4 games with 300+ yards.  3 games with 9+ Yards per Attempt.

Granted, he basically sh*t himself in several other games that season but that was his best season as a pro, I would say.

After that season he only went on to start 3 more games the rest of his career, proving unable to hold down even a QB2 job at his 3 remaining stops.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He somehow managed to put together 5 games in Philly where he had a 95+ QB rating.  4 games with 300+ yards.  3 games with 9+ Yards per Attempt.

Granted, he basically sh*t himself in several other games that season but that was his best season as a pro, I would say.

Shake weights were  nice on Hard Knocks. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No QB in league history outside of Sanchez could somehow manage to lose a game where his team rushed for 300+ yards.  He found a way to do it.

I still don't understand why Sanchez has his defenders here.  Not to mention those who still say the Jets "ruined" him, even though he walked into a great set of circumstances.  Best OL in the game, best defense, and tons of veteran leadership to lean on.  

That Bills game still bothers me to this day. One of the worse QB performances I have ever seen. 

The people who defend Sanchez make the classic mistake of conflating team success with individual success. They think that because the team won 4 playoff games with Sanchez, he must have been good at his job. Of course, this is an obvious fallacy (a lot of bad QBs have won playoff games and had good individual moments along the way), but a lot people fall for it.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

That Bills game still bothers me to this day. One of the worse QB performances I have ever seen. 

The people who defend Sanchez make the classic mistake of conflating team success with individual success. They think that because the team won 4 playoff games with Sanchez, he must have been good at his job. Of course, this is an obvious fallacy (a lot of bad QBs have won playoff games and had good individual moments along the way), but a lot people fall for it.

Yup.  It's as if no one remembers Trent Dilfer or something. 

Or, perhaps, when another team succeeds despite bad QB play, its easier to be objective about it as an outside observer?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Dunnie said:

As anyone here knows ... I was NEVER a huge Sanchize guy ... but he did play well in the post season and was as more than respectable in many games ... way more than Sammy Boy.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

I will not forgive Sanchez for losing to the Steelers in the second AFCCG. The Steelers were begging us to beat them. 

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I will not forgive Sanchez for losing to the Steelers in the second AFCCG. The Steelers were begging us to beat them. 

But let's not let our "vaunted" defense off the hook either.  We were down 24-zip before I finished my first drink.   Then we come back with 19 and hold Pittsburgh to no other scores.  But with the game on the line we let Ben make a key third down and the game was over.  Awful loss I attribute to the team on both sides of the ball coming out completely flat.  Rex should have been fired that afternoon.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2020 at 10:01 PM, Beerfish said:

If the Jets get the 1st or 2nd pick in this draft Darnold is gone for sure.

There in NO scenario is which Darnold is coming back to the Jets next year.  They can go a tear, win the next five games with him averaging 300 yards per and he's still getting traded.

Only question is what value we'll we get for him.

18 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Well if the last potential franchise quarterback is telling the current potential franchise quarterback that it’s time to move then it’s time to move on.

why can’t we have nice things?

Mark f**king Sanchez was never a "potential franchise QB".  He was a liability.  

Even though I despise him, the last "potential franchise QB" was Chad Pennington.  The last actual franchise QB was Ken O'Brien.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1