James Morgan Will Never Be The Backup QB This Season

jetsrule128

10 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Morgan is almost 24 years old, been practicing all season, was drafted in the 4th round, is playing on a team that is 0-9 with a 35 year old back up QB getting the start, and he still can’t get on the field?   He must be just pathetic in practice because other than that I can’t see why he isn’t playing.  

What’s even more pathetic is that the 35 year old backup is playing better than our 3rd year “franchise QB”.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Nope. JD taking Morgan during the 4th is way worse than Macc taking Hack during the 2nd. 

At least Macc had an excuse for reaching on Hack ala we were a Franchise without a Franchise QB and at least Macc kicked the tires and TRIED to find one. Even though it was a failed pick the effort was there. 

With JD? We had a potential Franchise QB who was obviously struggling without offensive weapons and instead of trying to help Sam he drafted an awful 4th round QB prospect and a 6th round joke or a PUNTER. 

JD taking a jag 4th round QB with Sam's NFL life on the line can never be forgiven. 

Are you out of your mind?

All the whining about a player you havent seen throw a pass?  Because you know he wont amount to anything, become the backup that JD wants moving forward.  

The simple, lazy thought is to post a Hackenberg picture and mindlessly claim that a 4th round pick wasted is worse than a high second round pick thrown away.  

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1

Just now, JiF said:

I said this other day in a joking manner but I think it's real.  I think he likes being a villain.  I think he likes negative attention.  He seems to get off on it and he doesnt care because he's rich bitch! 

In addition to being horrible, he is a maniacal f#*k. He does not give a crap at this point, and does not mind going down in flames. If he is being served up as a sacrificial lamb, he is going to get his pound of flesh too. And that flesh is not giving the media or the fans what they want. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

In addition to being horrible, he is a maniacal f#*k. He does not give a crap at this point, and does not mind going down in flames. If he is being served up as a sacrificial lamb, he is going to get his pound of flesh too. And that flesh is not giving the media or the fans what they want. 

I tend to agree.  This is where Joe Douglas needs to start leading though.  Honestly if he just sits by and let’s Gase do whatever he wants, then I really question JD’s leadership ability.  

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I tend to agree.  This is where Joe Douglas needs to start leading though.  Honestly if he just sits by and let’s Gase do whatever he wants, then I really question JD’s leadership ability.  

My sincere hope would be that Douglas has authority in terms of:

-Who starts (in consultation with Gase)

-Percentage of play time.

If he does not, and Gase is going against JD's will, then Gase needs to be summarily fired, and install Logains as head coach.

My other hope is that with Gase's trolling, he is just looking to create a ruckus around decisions with media (and to a lesser degree fans).

• Upvote 1

This is the reason.

A different coach could install an RPO over the bye week and try to get the kid some play.

Gase still believes in his terrible pro style crossings offense. He does not change his system to fit the players. The pats lose Brady they change it for cam. Gase wants everyone to be Manning.

James Morgan can't be Manning and I don't believe jd used that 4th Rd pick to that purpose.

Prediction: After gase is gone Morgan will be a backup with upside. That's what 4th Rd is for

Adam Gase is a horrible, horrible coach, let's get that out of the way first.
He is also trolling this fan base because, well, he can. He knows what is going to happen at the end of this year, and he has nothing to lose in terms of fan equity. He will twist the knife when he can. And he is.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

38 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Are we still talking about Gase?

• Haha 2

Just now, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I give credit to JD for not wasting a 2nd round pick on a QB that couldn't hack it in the Spring League. Wasting only a fourth round pick is an improvement in my book.

Wasting the pick is irrelevant. What keeps teams from pulling the trigger when they ought to isn't the actual value of the pick. It's invisible opportunity costs. Like what if Sam Darnold suddenly becomes good. Like you look silly if you draft a bust. I mean second shmecond, let's say you take a UDFA like Morgan with the very first pick of the draft. Is that a bigger mistake or a smaller mistake than in 2017 when the league generally and the Jets specifically had Mahomes as a top 12 guy rather than a top 1 guy?

8 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Nope. JD taking Morgan during the 4th is way worse than Macc taking Hack during the 2nd. 

At least Macc had an excuse for reaching on Hack ala we were a Franchise without a Franchise QB and at least Macc kicked the tires and TRIED to find one. Even though it was a failed pick the effort was there. 

With JD? We had a potential Franchise QB who was obviously struggling without offensive weapons and instead of trying to help Sam he drafted an awful 4th round QB prospect and a 6th round joke or a PUNTER. 

JD taking a jag 4th round QB with Sam's NFL life on the line can never be forgiven. 

No way the Morgan pick is worse than the Hack pick. For where Hack was taken there was such a small percentage chance of it working out as a franchise guy. The only recent QBs taken later than Hack that have worked are Wilson, Cousins, and Brady. Franchise QBs are just not found that late in the draft.

I hated the Morgan pick but a 4th round back up has a significantly higher chance of hitting than a mid 2nd franchise QB.

Let's also remember that the Hack selection caused us to pass on Mahomes and Watson, that by itself is the difference maker for me.

terrible pick by Joe-we are in rebuild  mode and he picks a player that will never take the field and some defend it-what is wrong with you folks?

people get excited when we get a 5 or a 6 rounder from a trade but are okay with wasting a 4th which could have been use for a wr a lineman or any other need(there are tons of the)

At the VERY best Morgan can be a back up but I doubt it

jets are so slick their rebuilds consist of drafting players that will never start and bringing in the worst crop of free agents in the history of the franchise

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, section314 said:

Here's a thought.....maybe the reason Morgan isn't going to be the backup QB this year is because he is being groomed for bigger things next year?

here is a thought he sucks and was a wasted pick-we are talking about drafting a qb next year-what are the bigger things he is being groomed for ? Is he going to park cars in the parking lot? Serve beers in the concession stand? check psls to make sure guys like sar dont try and sneak down to my coaches club seats?

16 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

No way the Morgan pick is worse than the Hack pick. For where Hack was taken there was such a small percentage chance of it working out as a franchise guy. The only recent QBs taken later than Hack that have worked are Wilson, Cousins, and Brady. Franchise QBs are just not found that late in the draft.

I hated the Morgan pick but a 4th round back up has a significantly higher chance of hitting than a mid 2nd franchise QB.

Let's also remember that the Hack selection caused us to pass on Mahomes and Watson, that by itself is the difference maker for me.

hack was a worse pick due to round 2 vs  4 but the concept the same-wasted pick for a quy that has zero potential to ever start on the team-what makes it worse is Joe did it after seeing the hackenberg wasted pick and knowing our needs all over the field

6 hours ago, DJF71 said:

Well both QB's could have been had as UDFA's. 

Morgan would not have lasted much longer. The Pats were said to be in love with him, and despite what some people are insisting he was considered a good prospect by many.  I don't love or hate the pick. I get it. I guess I have more issue with another safety over another receiver but that's just me.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

This is the reason.

A different coach could install an RPO over the bye week and try to get the kid some play.

Gase still believes in his terrible pro style crossings offense. He does not change his system to fit the players. The pats lose Brady they change it for cam. Gase wants everyone to be Manning.

James Morgan can't be Manning and I don't believe jd used that 4th Rd pick to that purpose.

Prediction: After gase is gone Morgan will be a backup with upside. That's what 4th Rd is for

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

Couldn’t agree more with this. Not saying Morgan will be anything special but Gase’s system is hot garbage. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

The more people say this I'm beginning to wonder how much faith he had in Sam to begin with.  Douglas isn't stupid.  And he's been with enough organizations to see how you build around a QB.  Just strange that he wouldn't make those picks, players at offensive skill positions. Yeah we needed a better punter but we had one. We needed a backup QB but he wouldn't be ready in a year. Two receivers or maybe even a TE was a good way to give Sam a bigger cushion.  Later picks but maybe worth the risk.

Because Joe Douglas' primary concern in the 2020 draft was what this team would look like in 2022.  Any capable GM should be making picks with the next 3+ years in mind, not simply the immediate season. 

Only considering the current team/needs when you draft is how you end up using high picks on guys like Victor Hobson and Mike Nugent.

In addition, he used a 1st round pick on a LT and a 2nd round pick on a WR.  I fail to see how he didn't have his QB in mind (whether it be Darnold or a future QB) when making those picks.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Which is Exhibit A why Gase needed to be fired after the Denver game.  He has no concern for the future of the franchise, and his goals are not going to be aligned at all with Joe Douglas' goals.

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

The problem is we don't really know how much authority Douglas has in this organization yet.  If he has the green light to tell Gase what to do and isn't doing so, that's a problem.  Though it's an even bigger problem if he is NOT given that kind of control in the organization.

All of this is bad news either way.  Let's hope that this offseason, when given a chance to recalibrate, Douglas establishes a larger share of control of the organization.  

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

Yep.   Hackenberg was drafted to be the guy.  While we don't know for sure whether Douglas thinks Morgan can be a QB1 in the league, we can be reasonably confident he wasn't taken in the 4th round with the expectation he'd be the guy

More likely he was deemed to be a QB2 with upside, who perhaps could show enough in his 4 years here to be flipped for a higher pick down the road.  

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

The more people say this I'm beginning to wonder how much faith he had in Sam to begin with.  Douglas isn't stupid.  And he's been with enough organizations to see how you build around a QB.  Just strange that he wouldn't make those picks, players at offensive skill positions. Yeah we needed a better punter but we had one. We needed a backup QB but he wouldn't be ready in a year. Two receivers or maybe even a TE was a good way to give Sam a bigger cushion.  Later picks but maybe worth the risk.

Link?

• Thumb Down 1

12 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

A 4th round WR was never going to save Sam Darnold's career here in New York. You could even argue that perhaps James Morgan was an insurance policy in the event that Sam Darnold flamed out, and we aren't in position to draft one of the top guys in 2021.

Sure, it'd be great to have another WR ready for Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields next year, and I would've been happy with that. But I think it's only fair to reserve my judgement on that pick until I see what Morgan will bring to this organization.

I don't know why you're already calling James Morgan a JAG. Was there something I missed about his college career that was that bad?

And don't you besmirch Braden Mann!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Adam Gase is a horrible, horrible coach, let's get that out of the way first.

He is also trolling this fan base because, well, he can. He knows what is going to happen at the end of this year, and he has nothing to lose in terms of fan equity. He will twist the knife when he can. And he is.

I'm not judging any of our skill players on our offense until Gase is gone! There is too much evidence between his time in Miami and now Florham Park that players dramatically under perform with this clown as their coach.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, kmnj said:

hack was a worse pick due to round 2 vs  4 but the concept the same-wasted pick for a quy that has zero potential to ever start on the team-what makes it worse is Joe did it after seeing the hackenberg wasted pick and knowing our needs all over the field

Don't get me wrong, I wanted a WR in that slot and am still upset with the pick but Morgan was not drafted as a starter, he was drafted to be a backup. The plan for him was to spot start in his career whenever Sam got hurt. Unfortunately when we were drafting we still believe Sam was going to be the guy. 

• Upvote 1