James Morgan Will Never Be The Backup QB This Season

jetsrule128

On 11/20/2020 at 8:25 AM, Scott Dierking said:

Adam Gase is a horrible, horrible coach, let's get that out of the way first.

He is also trolling this fan base because, well, he can. He knows what is going to happen at the end of this year, and he has nothing to lose in terms of fan equity. He will twist the knife when he can. And he is.

Exactly. Total sadist. 

18 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Yes. He is a JAG. He had a 5 year college career with a pathetic career completion percentage within the 50's (he was worthy of a 7th round pick or undrafted, at best). 

Please name and list me 5 NFL QB's who've ever had a 5 year NCAA career with a completion percentage within the 50s who ever went onto becoming a decent NFL QB and I'd probably call you a liar (because you won't be able to find me one, let alone 5).

Tom Brady threw for less than 5k yards in his entire college career and went to Michigan, not sure if that is worth anything to your completely nonsensical rant. 

• Sympathy 1

On 11/20/2020 at 1:18 AM, Beerfish said:

Horrible comment that is for sure.  Just bloody awful from a coach who went out of his way to bring in Falk and Fales.

And yes it was an awful awful pick, not Hackenburg bad but a terrible pick none the less.

You don't draft backups, if you do you do it very late and there was a lot of talent and still tons of holes on this team.

Douglas has done some very  good things but the Morgan pick was dumb.

You draft a third-string QB every year until you find one.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

I can name you 5 Super Bowl winning QBs that had career college completion percentages in the 50's:

Brett Favre

Joe Namath

Bob Griese

Doug Williams

Jim Plunkett

In fairness, you should name more guys that were in college in the 20th century.

Because:

Namath had an NFL completion percentage of 50.1

Griese 56.2

Plunkett 52.5

Williams 49.5

I doubt that would cut it in today's NFL (or NCAA)

On 11/20/2020 at 1:11 AM, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Nick Foles (yeah, he sucks despite lucking into a Super Bowl) 8 million a year etc..

He lucked into throwing for 900 yards on 72 percent completions for 6 tds and one Int in three games to win the Super Bowl?

A guy that has thrown for 14k yards in his career with a 62 percent completion percentage and an almost two to one td to int ratio does not suck. 

18 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

In fairness, you should name more guys that were in college in the 20th century.

Because:

Namath had an NFL completion percentage of 50.1

Griese 56.2

Plunkett 52.5

Williams 49.5

I doubt that would cut it in today's NFL (or NCAA)

I understand and you are correct, but the poster known as Defense Wins Championships said "ever", so I gave him his answer there.

Totally understand. OP had a stupid premise.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gastineau Lives said:

He lucked into throwing for 900 yards on 72 percent completions for 6 tds and one Int in three games to win the Super Bowl?

A guy that has thrown for 14k yards in his career with a 62 percent completion percentage and an almost two to one td to int ratio does not suck. 

Yeah, he got hot. Bad players get hot. I'm old enough to remember when people like you thought Jeremy Lin was great because he was dominant for a few weeks. 

Foles barely got a job as a backup to a garbage QB in Chicago, was handed the job midseason by default and he has been terrible and would have been benched if the bears had any kind of talent at that position.

How do you explain that?

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Yeah, he got hot. Bad players get hot. I'm old enough to remember when people like you thought Jeremy Lin was great because he was dominant for a few weeks. 

Foles barely got a job as a backup to a garbage QB in Chicago, was handed the job midseason by default and he has been terrible and would have been benched if the bears had any kind of talent at that position.

How do you explain that?

So going to ignore his career stats that I posted and just go with he suck?

5 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

You don’t draft player and in the 4th round to be back ups.   Trading for value? Who’s going to gI’ve Up anything for a backup QB. 

Back up QB’s are a dime a dozen.  

This was clearly a wasted pick and another move in a long line of JD blunders - it’s very worrisome

Really? What round do backup QBs come from?  5th, 6th, 7th?  

You expect a team to get a viable backup, who can fill in if the starter goes down with useless picks that you have no use for?  And of course completely disregard the value of the position,

52 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

So going to ignore his career stats that I posted and just go with he suck?

How could you possibly argue that 14k passing yards in a 9 year career is good? It's pathetic and it's comical that your defense of a QB is that stat. And before you argue that he hasn't been the starter each of those years then ask yourself why? Why did her enter the 9th year of his career, during his"prime" as a backup to Mitch trubisky? 

Oh by the way, Andy dalton in 10 years has 32k passing yards. He's not good either but by your metric he is a hall of famer. Baker mayfield will be at 10k after 3 years also. 

28 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

How could you possibly argue that 14k passing yards in a 9 year career is good? It's pathetic and it's comical that your defense of a QB is that stat. And before you argue that he hasn't been the starter each of those years then ask yourself why? Why did her enter the 9th year of his career, during his"prime" as a backup to Mitch trubisky? 

Oh by the way, Andy dalton in 10 years has 32k passing yards. He's not good either but by your metric he is a hall of famer. Baker mayfield will be at 10k after 3 years also. 

This is the thing where you google up someone with similar career stats compare those to the first guy (erroneously) and put words in my mouth based on your erroneous comparisons to try to prove your point in a mic drop moment about the first guy.

It's ******* clownshoes. Who the **** do you think you're signing as a back up, Johnny Unitas in 1964?

There are plenty of adjectives between suck and hall of famer. You should try them.

You said he sucked. I said he didn't suck. We are now arguing about the definition of suck, which depends on the typist, but go on and find other qbs to compare Nick Foles to so you can prove that he sux. 

It's like talking to a twelve year old. nIk fOlEs SuX

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

You expect a team to get a viable backup, who can fill in if the starter goes down with useless picks that you have no use for?  And of course completely disregard the value of the position,

Yes.  Back up QB’s come from anywhere....They’re all over free agency.  You do not draft back up QB’s.  You sign them as FA’s.  Precisely because they’re back-ups and you have no idea if they can play or not.

At least a FA QB you’ve see play, have tape on and can understand their value.

Now, if you drafted this kid because you think he can eventually be a starter so be it, but it certainly doesn’t seem to be the case.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes.  Back up QB’s come from anywhere....They’re all over free agency.  You do not draft back up QB’s.  You sign them as FA’s.  Precisely because they’re back-ups and you have no idea if they can play or not.

At least a FA QB you’ve see play, have tape on and can understand their value.

Now, if you drafted this kid because you think he can eventually be a starter so be it, but it certainly doesn’t seem to be the case.

And the best valued backups are the ones draft mid round of a draft and then traded.  The Pats did it with a number of backups.  

One more time, he wasnt drafted to start, he was drafted to be a backup and id guess a trade chip down the road.  

Had we developed a backup when Sam went down with mono maybe we would have been left in better shape than 0 wins.  As with 0 wins in 3 years without our starter

On 11/20/2020 at 12:12 AM, jetsrule128 said:

Mike White meanwhile in 8 preseason games 

Game 1 vs 49ers 6/11 63 yards 0 TD O INT 

game 2 vs bengals 8/16 76 yards 0 TD 0 INT

Game 3 vs cardinals 17/22 157 yards 0 TD 1 INT 

game 4 vs Texans 13/21 118 yards 0 TD 0 INT 

game 5 vs 49ers 9/20 87 yards 0 TD 0 INT 

game 6 vs Rams 7/13 30 yards 0 TD 1 INT 

game 7 vs Texans 6/9 56 yards 1 TD 0 INT 

game 8 vs Buccaneers 14/26 132 Yards 0 TD 0 INT 

Of course there wasnt a chance of you starting a thread without mention of some obscure prospect that cant make the team, but you still spend an abundance of your time digging through their garbage cans at night ?

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

You don’t draft player and in the 4th round to be back ups.   Trading for value? Who’s going to gI’ve Up anything for a backup QB. 

Back up QB’s are a dime a dozen.  

This was clearly a wasted pick and another move in a long line of JD blunders - it’s very worrisome

He will be lucky to get a 4th round pick unless he really surprises and to do that he has to get on the field.  If they don't play him now, when do they expect him to prove his value?  If we land TL or Fields, he NEVER going to see the field unless of injury and both of those guys have shown to be very durable.   This pick really was head scratching then and still is now. 

• Upvote 2

He will be lucky to get a 4th round pick unless he really surprises and to do that he has to get on the field.  If they don't play him now, when do they expect him to prove his value?  If we land TL or Fields, he NEVER going to see the field unless of injury and both of those guys have shown to be very durable.   This pick really was head scratching then and still is now. 
How those panties doing???. have you gotten them unbunched yet ? This was a fantastic pick . Knowing already Darnold was out. We secured what could end up being a very good backup for years to come.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Haha 1

On 11/20/2020 at 12:24 AM, Spoot-Face said:

I think the #1 metric for judging the James Morgan pick will be how useful he becomes to the organization, i.e. can he become a capable back-up and win a few games, or can he be flipped down the round for net positive gain of draft pick(s)/player(s)?

If he flames out a la "The Hacken", then I'll lament on the WR that could've been (and I would've liked one). And, even if it becomes clear it was a wasted pick, it's still leagues better than the Hackenberg pick, because it was a 4th rounder, not a 2nd.

What I really took from this post is an appreciation for your correct usage of the contractions for could have and would have. I see you, Spoot. 

• Haha 1

On 11/20/2020 at 12:35 AM, Defense Wins Championships said:

Nope. JD taking Morgan during the 4th is way worse than Macc taking Hack during the 2nd. 

At least Macc had an excuse for reaching on Hack ala we were a Franchise without a Franchise QB and at least Macc kicked the tires and TRIED to find one. Even though it was a failed pick the effort was there. 

With JD? We had a potential Franchise QB who was obviously struggling without offensive weapons and instead of trying to help Sam he drafted an awful 4th round QB prospect and a 6th round joke or a PUNTER

JD taking a jag 4th round QB with Sam's NFL life on the line can never be forgiven. 

Jets drafting has been beyond atrocious. This team drafts 1st round picks that are out of the league by the end of their rookie contract and 3rd round picks that are cut by the end of their first training camp. Care to look up the talent the Jets have spent their 6th round picks on? 

Won't argue with Morgan. But JD drafted a very good STARTER with his 6th round pick. I will never complain about any day one quality starter of any position in the 6th round!

4 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

This is the thing where you google up someone with similar career stats compare those to the first guy (erroneously) and put words in my mouth based on your erroneous comparisons to try to prove your point in a mic drop moment about the first guy.

It's ******* clownshoes. Who the **** do you think you're signing as a back up, Johnny Unitas in 1964?

There are plenty of adjectives between suck and hall of famer. You should try them.

You said he sucked. I said he didn't suck. We are now arguing about the definition of suck, which depends on the typist, but go on and find other qbs to compare Nick Foles to so you can prove that he sux. 

It's like talking to a twelve year old. nIk fOlEs SuX

The best part about this back and forth is that your defense of a QB was that he has 13k passing yards. When I pointed out that 13k yards is terrible for a QB that's been in the league for 9 years and actually proves my point that he sucks you went devolved into this incoherent rant. 

Just admit it, you made a mistake. Foles is not good. It would be like arguing that Timmy Smith was a good RB because he once ran for 200 yards in the Super Bowl. 

50 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The best part about this back and forth is that your defense of a QB was that he has 13k passing yards. When I pointed out that 13k yards is terrible for a QB that's been in the league for 9 years and actually proves my point that he sucks you went devolved into this incoherent rant. 

Just admit it, you made a mistake. Foles is not good. It would be like arguing that Timmy Smith was a good RB because he once ran for 200 yards in the Super Bowl. 

its only incoherent if you have limited command of English. SUX

I think that a guy that basically took his team to the Super Bowl coming in as a backup throwing for 900 yards in three playoff games and has a career 63 percent completion percentage with a two to one td to interception ratio and a winning record for his career doesn't sux.  You disagree, fine, we disagree but don't make it like you know what the **** you're talking about when you use the term sux as if it means anything except in your own head.

There isn't a guy that sucks that has ever done any of that. Not in my definition of sucks.

Timmy Smith played two years in football, any comparison between them is just you using an extreme example to try to manipulate the argument. Their careers aren't comparable. You're making a stupid ******* point.

23 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Yup, he's the 26th highest paid QB in the league because he barely got a job. Holy. ****.

He was brought into backup Trubisky. Trubisky had to play horrible to start the year to get the job. 

And yeah, he gets paid  more than Lamar Jackson/Josh Allen/Justin Herbert. You know what that proves? That you don't understand how NFL contracts work. 

Jacoby Brisset makes more than Drew Brees, so by your logic "OMG Brissett is better than Brees!"

Seriously, do you even follow the NFL outside of the NFL Gameday threads in this forum? 

5 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

He was brought into backup Trubisky. Trubisky had to play horrible to start the year to get the job. 

And yeah, he gets paid  more than Lamar Jackson/Josh Allen/Justin Herbert. You know what that proves? That you don't understand how NFL contracts work. 

Jacoby Brisset makes more than Drew Brees, so by your logic "OMG Brissett is better than Brees!"

Seriously, do you even follow the NFL outside of the NFL Gameday threads in this forum? 

No you're right all da bad quarderbacks get da big monies. Again, you bring up one ******* example of a team overpaying a sh*tty qb and then that somehow proves your ******* idiotic argument. 

You just said he BARELY got a job to back up Trubisky and then you bring up guys on their rookie contracts that he's making more than that are better than him trying to bury what you said and what I was responding to, you dishonest ****. You've been doing this sh*t the entire thread.

Seriously, were your parents brother and sister, you ad homineming turd? You've been doing that the whole thread, too.

How bad was Trubisky playing at the time? Sucks? Sub sucks? Regular sucks? High sucks? Mega sucks? Kinda sucks? Sucks so bad we have to bring in the sucky Nick Foles who won a sucky super bowl during a time he wasn't sucking?

Again this boils down to us arguing over your junior high school  ******* phrase and it's meaning. 

You say he is not good. I say he's been good enough. Good enough to take his team to a Super Bowl and win it. Good enough to have a two to one td to int ratio for his career and a 63 completion percentage. Whether that means that he sucks or not, I guess we'll have to go dig up Gore ****ng Vidal or Norman Mailer and ask them.

Go right a one paragraph paper and use every adjective you know twice.

On 11/21/2020 at 4:36 PM, Dunnie said:

How those panties doing???. have you gotten them unbunched yet ? This was a fantastic pick . Knowing already Darnold was out. We secured what could end up being a very good backup for years to come.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

GFY.  That was an idiotic pick and everyone  knows it but you. 

On 11/21/2020 at 1:03 PM, Jet Nut said:

Hahaha. The Jets don't need to wait until round 5 - let alone round 7 - to draft a backup-level QB. We're perfectly happy doing it in rounds 2-4 (and the past couple times, round 1). 

On 11/19/2020 at 11:59 PM, Defense Wins Championships said:

Well, no sh*t!

He's a jag prospect who had a 5 year NCAA career with a completion percentage within the 50s on a joke FIU football program; JD completely wasted a 4th round pick on this worthless JAG prospect. 

Sam Darnold needed offensive weapons and O-Lineman prospects not "James Morgan" come the 4th round. 

Agree... This was the only blunder of JD's draft.  He hit a home run with Becton, Mims and Davis, but whiffed with Captain Morgan.  I *WISH* he would have taken center Hennessey who was still on the board when he went for Captain Morgan.  That would have been a great addition.  The Jets need more interior lineman.  Especially now that they'll have to protect Trevor Lawrence.  

I wound not put TL in the game until I was sure I had ALL FIVE of my starting offensive lineman playing at an acceptable level.

See Joe Burrow to get the idea why... 

• Sympathy 1