Saints to start Taysom Hill over Jameis Winston for Week 11; Winston reportedly won't be part of any Saints offensive packages

Jetsfan80

@JiF  @JiF  @JiF @JiF  @JiF  @JiF  @JiF  @JiF  @JiF @JiF  @JiF  @JiF @JiF  @JiF  @JiF @JiF  @JiF  @JiF @JiF  @JiF  @JiF @JiF  @JiF  @JiF

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/saints-to-start-taysom-hill-over-jameis-winston-for-week-11-matchup-with-falcons-per-report/

Saints to start Taysom Hill over Jameis Winston for Week 11 matchup with Falcons, per report

Winston reportedly won't be part of any Saints offensive packages

With starting quarterback Drew Brees out this week for the New Orleans Saints due to injury, many assumed former No. 1 overall pick Jameis Winston would be taking his place under center against the Atlanta Falcons. However, Saints head coach Sean Payton is reportedly going in a different direction. On Friday morning, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported that Taysom Hill will start on Sunday against the Falcons and that Winston will be the backup. Hill took all of the starter reps at practice this week, and will make his first career start at quarterback. According to ESPN's Dianna Russini, Winston will not be part of any offensive packages this Sunday. 

Winston, who the Saints signed this offseason after the Tampa Bay Buccaneers decided to part ways with him, replaced Brees against the San Francisco 49ers, and completed 6 of 10 passes for 63 yards. Despite the low numbers, he was able to secure a 27-13 victory for New Orleans. Winston is actually the NFL's reigning passing champion, as he threw for 5,109 yards, 33 touchdowns and 30 interceptions last year. While he is one of the NFL's better deep-ball throwers, his turnover rate was alarming, which led Bruce Arians and the Buccaneers to consider other options and ultimately sign Tom Brady.

As for Hill, he has attempted just 18 passes in 46 career regular-season games, and completed 10 of those for a total of 205 yards, no touchdowns and an interception. Through nine games this season, he has completed 4 of 5 passes for 86 yards. 

Hill has been most effective as a rusher, receiver and special teams player. In his career, he has rushed 98 times for 538 yards and four touchdowns, and caught 28 passes for 312 yards and seven touchdowns. Payton has often said that he views Hill as a potential starting quarterback, and he will get his chance to prove his worth this Sunday. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I don;t believe it.

When hill is 5-17 with two ints and a fumble in the 2nd quarter winston will get playing time.

This actually sounds like the Jets/Tebow situation that a non QB was promised to be the backup no matter what

I thought this would be the case too, but the team having no plans to put Winston in in any offensive packages speaks volumes.  I was sure this would be a situation where Winston starts but Hill sees the field a bunch.  

Meanwhile, Hill is making $21M ($17M+ fully guaranteed) over 2 years, while Winston is making under $3M this season and is a FA after the season.  Follow the money there.  Hill's contract dictates he is a lock to be on the roster in 2021 while Winston will not be.

No, I think Hill is going to be given a long rope.  He may well fail miserably but Payton is going to take a big swing and isn't going to simply cut the chord if it doesn't pay immediate dividends.  They believe in Taysom Hill.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

This is a really bizzare move. I was kind of looking forward to seeing if Jamesis would be able to revive his career. Hill is going to flop as QB I think so we will see Jamesis again this season I'm guessing.

If we miss out on Lawrence and Fields you will see Winston signed by the NY Jets next season battling it out with Joe Flacco for the starting job. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, joewilly12 said:

If we miss out on Lawrence and Fields you will see Winston signed by the NY Jets next season battling it out with Joe Flacco for the starting job. 

I just cant see us missing out on both. We may win 1 game, and that's a big maybe, but we ain't winning 2.

But I'd be fine with bringing in Jamesis as a back up for low money.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Very unlikely this teams falls out of the top 2, and even if it does, there's no reason to believe Douglas won't take a hard look at the 3rd or 4th QB's on his board.  

If Winston is indeed signed here (not a move I'd be against, mind you, provided he's merely the competition/QB2), then there would be no reason to bring Flacco back whatsoever.  He's be competing against a young QB, whether that be James Morgan or a rookie.  

• Upvote 1

Welcome to today's NFL where it's no longer hard to find a good quarterback in the draft because so many NCAA programs are running pro offenses.  A mediocre bum like Winston gets no more chances because there are 10 guys just like him available in April.

It's why we're moving off Darnold so quickly.  Franchise quarterbacks are not unicorns anymore.  They're actually rather plentiful.

SAR I

• WTF? 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Off Topic, but Jameis Winston is from Hueytown Alabama.  He MIGHT be the greatest High School QB in Alabama history.  He's certainly one of the 5 greatest.  Pat Sullivan, Snake Stabler, Jemarcus Russell, Pat White, David Palmer if we call him a QB, might all be in the discussion

Alabama really wanted to sign him of course, but we had AJ McCarron and Florida State seemed like  a place he could get more early playing time.

Hueytown Alabama, a suburb of Birmingham, is also famous as the Home of the "Alabama Gang" of stock car racers including Bobby and Donnie Allison.

If you ever get the chance to visit Hueytown in the future, my advice is to just keep on driving

I haven't been through there often, but that's good advice for the whole state.

Driving from eastern NC to New Orleans on a post-Katrina mission trip, our group stopped at a gas station convenience store somewhere in Alabama.  There were no reading materials in there whatsoever, but there were samurai swords for sale.  That night, we stayed in Montgomery, in the grossest hotel I've ever seen by miles.  It was 4th of July weekend, fireworks were going on and somehow the capital city still seemed deserted.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Off Topic, but Jameis Winston is from Hueytown Alabama.  He MIGHT be the greatest High School QB in Alabama history.  He's certainly one of the 5 greatest.  Pat Sullivan, Snake Stabler, Jemarcus Russell, Pat White, David Palmer if we call him a QB, might all be in the discussion

Alabama really wanted to sign him of course, but we had AJ McCarron and Florida State seemed like  a place he could get more early playing time.

Hueytown Alabama, a suburb of Birmingham, is also famous as the Home of the "Alabama Gang" of stock car racers including Bobby and Donnie Allison.

If you ever get the chance to visit Hueytown in the future, my advice is to just keep on driving

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Driving from eastern NC to New Orleans on a post-Katrina mission trip, our group stopped at a gas station convenience store somewhere in Alabama.  There were no reading materials in there whatsoever, but there were samurai swords for sale.  That night, we stayed in Montgomery, in the grossest hotel I've ever seen by miles.  It was 4th of July weekend, fireworks were going on and somehow the capital city still seemed deserted.

Oh, and also, while we were headed to a restaurant in Montgomery for dinner, there was an ice cream truck that passed by.  Was it playing any of the typical jingles?  Of course not.  It was blaring a hot beat with a woman singing over the top of it "Come and get ya ice cream, come and get ya ice cream."

Everything about that state is bizarre.  Everything.  I hear Arkansas is in the same category, too.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

After reading that, I thought you were describing the series setting for The Walking Dead. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

As an FSU fan I'd never want anything to do with Jameis Winston on our Jets team @ QB or within our locker room whatsoever and despite having an awesome (fully loaded) roster and an absolutely amazing FSU team surrounding Winston; he was an absolute turnover machine consisting of fumbles/interceptions and his off the field problems were very disheartening to say the least. I loved Winston's talent as an FSU kid but his decision making was very frustrating @ times. 

He's carried his FSU traits into the NFL: An absolute turnover machine and me living down here in St. Petersburg Florida (Tampa Bay) I can honestly say that his Buccaneers fan base couldn't stand him and are super excited over Tom Brady (they finally have a QB who's smart and one who isn't a turnover waiting to happen). 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

After reading that, I thought you were describing the series setting for The Walking Dead. 

About as good of a description of the state of Alabama as I can think of.  Just tack on a whole bunch of racism.  (I didn't watch the show enough to know whether racism played a significant role)

6 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

He's carried his FSU traits into the NFL: An absolute turnover machine and me living down here in St. Petersburg Florida (Tampa Bay) I can honestly say that his Buccaneers fan base couldn't stand him and are super excited over Tom Brady (they finally have a QB who's smart and one who isn't a turnover waiting to happen). 

NO WAY!!!!  Fans were excited when the GOAT became their QB?

OMG THIS IS CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!  LIFE IS SO WEIRD!!!!!!1

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

About as good of a description of the state of Alabama as I can think of.  Just tack on a whole bunch of racism.  (I didn't watch the show enough to know whether racism played a significant role)

First season was great.  I tuned out after that.  Not much of series guy.  Outside of The Wire.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

First season was great.  I tuned out after that.  Not much of series guy.  Outside of The Wire.

Yeah I've been burned by too many shows to really trust series anymore, no matter how good people say they are.  I'll only start watching a series when its over and other people can confirm it stayed great throughout.  I refuse to get on board on the back of 1-2 quality seasons.  Too many great shows have their writers get poached early on and/or simply run out of ideas, resulting in a significant drop in quality.  

I still have trust issues thanks to the finale of Dexter.  Absolutely the worst finale to an otherwise amazing show in TV history.  Lost was awful at the end, too.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yeah I've been burned by too many shows to really trust series anymore, no matter how good people say they are.  I'll only start watching a series when its over and other people can confirm it stayed great throughout.  I refuse to get on board on the back of 1-2 quality seasons.  Too many great shows have their writers get poached early on and/or simply run out of ideas, resulting in a significant drop in quality.  

I still have trust issues thanks to the finale of Dexter.  Absolutely the worst finale to an otherwise amazing show in TV history.  Lost was awful at the end, too.

Yeah my best friend still complains about Dexter.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Jameis takes a lot of heat over his turnovers as he should but you cant dispute his other passing stats.  He lead the league in yards and 2nd in tds.

He has arguably the strangest QB statistical profile in NFL history, and its very difficult to nail down any comparison to another QB.  

12 minutes ago, JiF said:

I just looked up Taysom Hill's stats.

He's 30 and has attempted 18 passes in the NFL.  He's 10/18.  lmfao  No TD's, 1 INT.

This is sooooo dumb and I really dont buy any of it.  They'll open up in like a wildcat and then turn it over to Jameis.

They're not paying him $21M over 2 seasons (with $17M+ fully guaranteed) just to give him a handful of plays in games where Brees is hurt and then turn it over to someone else.  He's being paid like a high end QB2 (the # 21 highest paid QB in the NFL on a per year basis), and today made it clear that they really think of him that way.

Hill is a lock to be on the roster in 2021 based on how his contract is set up.  Winston is not.  That guarantees Hill is at least the 1a guy right now while Winston is, at best, the 1b.  

Before this news broke I assumed it would be Winston as 1a and Hill as 1b.  Now its very possible Winston is a distant 2.

14 minutes ago, JiF said:

NO WAY!!!!  Fans were excited when the GOAT became their QB?

OMG THIS IS CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!  LIFE IS SO WEIRD!!!!!!1

They were more excited to no longer have an absolute turnover machine and a non leader of men (they were just super excited to no longer have Winston and most Buccaneer fans are Gator fans who never wanted Jameis to begin with). 

He's an absolute embarrassment. 

"Winston has a stunning 138 picks and fumbles combined in just 72 games. The only other players to exceed 100 combined picks and fumbles since 2015 are Rivers and Cousins, but both have played a half-season more than Winston in that time".

He had a career losing record of 28-42 after 5 years following #1 overall pick status (.400%) and Tampa Bay fans were absolutely sick of him. 

16 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Sounds like Payton is putting a premium on protecting the ball. 

Perhaps.  Though it seems strange that they would trust a FB/TE with 18 career passing attempts with the task of not turning the ball over. 

And if that is one of his top priorities when it comes to his QB2, why sign Winston in the first place?  He's the 2nd most turnover-prone QB in NFL history, behind Mark Sanchez.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

lol WHAT???

First Joe Judge and now Winston?  What is happening???

If this is true, say goodbye to Winston's career.

Guy was making a joke.  Story is not true.   Sorry for posting.  Give me a downvote or two.  I deserve it.

• Haha 1