The OL 2021 Thread

kdels62

I picked those three because I want a long term center and those guys are all candidates. 

Creed Humphrey: 2nd round grade - The most hyped IOL in the draft. He is neither overwhelmingly strong nor quick. His anchor is terrific though and he can stop initial push backs well. Struggles with quickness across his face. Not dominant blocking vertically. 

Josh Myers: 3rd round grade- Strong hands is his game. Lacks elite athleticism. Good at turning his defender and sealing off running lanes. 

Tyler Linderbaum: 2nd round grade- I love him how I love Zach Wilson. It’s unreasonable... but is it? He’s 285 lbs, he hasn’t filled out his frame yet. He’s quick, he’s not super strong but he’s not weak. I would take him in the first round but maybe I’m just emotional right now.

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

I picked those three because I want a long term center and those guys are all candidates. 

Creed Humphrey: 2nd round grade - The most hyped IOL in the draft. He is neither overwhelmingly strong nor quick. His anchor is terrific though and he can stop initial push backs well. Struggles with quickness across his face. Not dominant blocking vertically. 

Josh Myers: 3rd round grade- Strong hands is his game. Lacks elite athleticism. Good at turning his defender and sealing off running lanes. 

Tyler Linderbaum: 2nd round grade- I love him how I love Zach Wilson. It’s unreasonable... but is it. He’s 285 lbs, he hasn’t filled out his frame yet. He’s quick, he’s not super strong but he’s not weak. I would take him in the first round but maybe I’m just emotional right now.

Not too early at all for this thread. 

What do you think about Rashawn Slater? I know's he is at OT right now, but I like him as an IOL prospect (maybe even center). He's good, but maybe too short for the outside. With that Northwestern brain, I'd love to have him at center as the brains of the unit. 

14 minutes ago, maury77 said:

What do you think about Rashawn Slater? I know's he is at OT right now, but I like him as an IOL prospect (maybe even center). He's good, but maybe too short for the outside. With that Northwestern brain, I'd love to have him at center as the brains of the unit. 

He’s on my short list for dudes I wanna look into. I watched some of the Michigan games and really liked Jalen Mayfield, so I was watching more of his tape and he’s a legit prospect. I’ll just keep populating this and giving some analysis. I hope @RobRprovides some perspective once the season is over. Also if @HawkeyeJet wants to give some perspective on Linderbaum that I’m missing I’d appreciate that.

• Upvote 1

The jets should have 6 picks in about the top 100 players.  I would be very happy using two of those on the oline.  A center for sure and a guard.  I might have said one if clark had actually done anything at all this year.

This position group has been neglected for so long and the patch work fixes have usually been terrible.

With a new QB very probable we cannot make the same mistakes we did before

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

The jets should have 6 picks in about the top 100 players.  I would be very happy using two of those on the oline.  A center for sure and a guard.  I might have said one if clark had actually done anything at all this year.

This position group has been neglected for so long and the patch work fixes have usually been terrible.

With a new QB very probable we cannot make the same mistakes we did before

I’d really like to make a run at Daryl Williams in free agency and then take an inside only guy in the draft. My preference is Linderbaum, who is Mawae-like in raw ability. 

• Upvote 1

I think Linderbaum has all the tools to be great in the NFL.  He is flat out dominating this year.  Playing practically flawless this year.  Considering this is just his 3rd year playing OL, his potential is sky high.  Prior to this year I'd say he was equal parts traits and production.  He had been good the previous two years, but hadn't been great. You could tell he could be great, but just was still learning a lot(still is).  He is finally high end production to match the traits.

He is a very good athlete.  Not necessarily the type who will blow away the combine (he might do that too though) but just a natural, fluid athlete for someone that big.  He's agile and fluid and strong.  He was an incredible HS wrestler.  There is a clip of him dominating Tristan Wirfs in HS wrestling.  I'll post if I can find it.  He is not "gym strong".  He's farm strong.  Hips, legs, core, just a brute.

Technically is where he has to improve.  You can see him get out of position occasionally and just have instances where he doesn't sustain a block or other things.  But like I said, it's only his 3rd year as an OL and no staff will teach him fundamentally better than Iowa.  He's already made huge strides this year in this area.  

I do not think it is out of the question he's a 1st rounder if he keeps having the year he's having.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I think Linderbaum has all the tools to be great in the NFL.  He is flat out dominating this year.  Playing practically flawless this year.  Considering this is just his 3rd year playing OL, his potential is sky high.  Prior to this year I'd say he was equal parts traits and production.  He had been good the previous two years, but hadn't been great. You could tell he could be great, but just was still learning a lot(still is).  He is finally high end production to match the traits.

He is a very good athlete.  Not necessarily the type who will blow away the combine (he might do that too though) but just a natural, fluid athlete for someone that big.  He's agile and fluid and strong.  He was an incredible HS wrestler.  There is a clip of him dominating Tristan Wirfs in HS wrestling.  I'll post if I can find it.  He is not "gym strong".  He's farm strong.  Hips, legs, core, just a brute.

Technically is where he has to improve.  You can see him get out of position occasionally and just have instances where he doesn't sustain a block or other things.  But like I said, it's only his 3rd year as an OL and no staff will teach him fundamentally better than Iowa.  He's already made huge strides this year in this area.  

I do not think it is out of the question he's a 1st rounder if he keeps having the year he's having.

Yeah. I think after the combine he’ll be C1. I’m really hoping he lasts til 33 but for that to happen it’ll have to be a 5 QB first round. Something that people (on the main board) don’t seem to understand is that drafting prospects isn’t about winning games or what you should’ve been as a freshman, it’s about development of traits. I think Linderbaum has the best projection and the physique.

• Upvote 1

Keep an eye on Spencer Brown from Northern Iowa as well.  I would guess he would be a mid rd type(3-4) but he is massive and is a really good athlete.  Really good.  If he had played this year then destroyed the combine(which he might) I would have not been surprised at all to see him fly up draft boards to a 2nd round type.  I think he could be an immediate starter as NFL RT.

On 11/20/2020 at 4:22 PM, maury77 said:

So I read up and watched Rashawn Slater and here’s what I got.

Rashawn Slater: 1-2 round grade depending on role envisioned- The combine matters for a guy like him with tweener ability. In the end, I think he’s a high potential guard because he can move the way guards move. Laterally his movement is impressive, when he pulls he’s good at getting to the right side of his defender and driving. The dude gets to the second level well and has sticky hands. The reason why he’s merely an OK tackle prospect is that his vertical sets are labored, he recovers well but it’s a dangerous game to play. His anchor is fine and he has the great strength overall but he allows hands into his chest too much. He oversets to the outside to compensate for his slide step and gets beat inside at times. 

I really like the IOL prospects in this draft compared to last year. Which means that we shouldn’t press to take one early.

• Sympathy 1

So I read up and watched Rashawn Slater and here’s what I got.
Rashawn Slater: 1-2 round grade depending on role envisioned- The combine matters for a guy like him with tweener ability. In the end, I think he’s a high potential guard because he can move the way guards move. Laterally his movement is impressive, when he pulls he’s good at getting to the right side of his defender and driving. The dude gets to the second level well and has sticky hands. The reason why he’s merely an OK tackle prospect is that his vertical sets are labored, he recovers well but it’s a dangerous game to play. His anchor is fine and he has the great strength overall but he allows hands into his chest too much. He oversets to the outside to compensate for his slide step and gets beat inside at times. 
I really like the IOL prospects in this draft compared to last year. Which means that we shouldn’t press to take one early.

Agreed 100%, I’m only interested in Slater as an IOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All I know is I want one of them with our Seattle pick if we're to draft Trevor Lawrence #1 overall in order to begin to build an O-Line around Mekhi Becton @ LT. 

Because what happened to Joe Burrow in Cincinnati yesterday behind the worst Offensive Line in Football (only O-Line that's worse than ours) was absolutely disgusting. 

@bitonti

I remember during our Zoom Draft meeting you were A+ and begging for Mekhi Becton; who's your 2021 can't miss Offensive Lineman prospect (outside of Sewell)?