The 2021 NYJ head coaching position is actually a plum job

I agree.  You're going to a big market team with what looks like a level-headed GM,  potentially the #1 overall draft pick, lots of additional draft capital, a ton of cap space, the ability to start from scratch, and nowhere to go but up. 

The only concern if you are a highly regarded coaching candidate is ownership and the NY media. There's going to be a lot of pressure from both. If TL is looking like he's not being handled right its going to be on the coach immediately (assuming the Jets get TL). If the offense is just as bad as under Gase, same thing. Etc. etc.  

13 minutes ago, Larz said:

Went from an race for second place in the division to a tough division. 

brutal media and cost of living 

worst owners in sports 

the jets job is the job the top candidates interview for to get experience in the process or to drive up the offer where they really want to go. 

woody chased off one of the best coaching staffs of all time 

everyone knows he’s a loser

Yes, losers and the faint of heart will look at it that way. We don't want them anyway.

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Larz said:

Went from an race for second place in the division to a tough division. 

brutal media and cost of living 

worst owners in sports 

the jets job is the job the top candidates interview for to get experience in the process or to drive up the offer where they really want to go. 

woody chased off one of the best coaching staffs of all time 

everyone knows he’s a loser

I can’t help but think kraft had something to do with it.  As I recall woody turned to kraft early on to figure out how he should be running his football team.  Anyone think kraft gave him good advice?  I doubt it. He stole the bellichicken and then put all kinds of doubt about parcells in woody’s ears.  Of course this is pure conjecture. Nobody except kraft, woody, parcells, and the bellichicken actually know what went down and I’m sure they all have reasons that put themselves on a pedestal.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

The presumed 2021 Jets head coaching vacancy should be considered an attractive position. The reasoning is easy to understand. You are starting from either a zero win, or at tops a 1 win starting point. There is no place to go but up. Accomplish a .500 record within two years on the job and you have performed a miracle in the eyes of many.

Truth be known, achieving .500 in this league is not such a difficult proposition given any amount of personnel aptitude (I know, I know). The Jets will have assets that should be attractive to any prospective candidate. Chief among those, presumably will be a college QB that will have finished in the top 2 of the Heisman balloting and considered prototypical to NFL qbs in this new age. Add to that draft assets and cap money to provide input to the building of the squad.

Hopefully, the new coach will be able to provide input to JD on how they build. Key to everything will be the ultimate candidate and how the Johnsons assign reporting structure and final say on personnel and what that looks like. This may very well depend upon the resume of the candidate.

The notion that this should be an unattractive job for either a rookie NFL HC, or even an established HC is not really a thing. Parcells knew that he had a chance to be a hero after coming off the Kotite debacle. The bar was low. The bar may be as low right now, and any semblance of improvement (should be relatively easy to do) will position that chosen HC to another opportunity once they leave the organization.

Cheer up! You know what is a tough job? Taking a 4 or5 win team and making them a playoff contender immediately. A la the NYJ of many years yore.

Nice article, Scott. 

• Upvote 1

Good stuff and I appreciate the optimism.  You make some good points.

But I'm still waiting to hear someone other than a Jets fan describe this place as a desirable destination for anything other than a needy HC who is settling for a job.   When do we see some of the national sports writers or prominent NFL analysts come out and describe the Jets the way Scott did?

The only thing I've heard is a chorus of people repeating that Trevor Lawrence should do everything in his power to avoid the Jets.

• Upvote 2

Trevor Lawrence. A few more 1st rounds picks in the next couple of years. Figure we bring in some real talent in those couple of years. Draft accordingly. You think a head coach with a .500 record is going to be given a pass here after year 2? I don't. We will be thirsty for his blood like we always are. 

16 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Good stuff and I appreciate the optimism.  You make some good points.

But I'm still waiting to hear someone other than a Jets fan describe this place as a desirable destination for anything other than needy HC who is settling for a job.   When do we see some of the national sports writers or prominent NFL analysts come out and describe the Jets the way Scott did?

The only thing I've heard is a chorus of people repeating that Trevor Lawrence should do everything in his power to avoid the Jets.

• Upvote 4

Most talking heads on these sports networks are oblivious to draft capital, or cap space so their ability to judge the team is limited only to what they see on the field right now. And obviously that's sh*t, so you're going to get a ton of those shallow takes about how bad the Jets are as a landing spot.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, jgb said:

The situation could be attractive question is will Woody authorize the salary that it will take to get an attractive candidate? Still believe Bieniemy has Jets written all over him.

The Jets HC position needs a special person to fill it and I don't believe that person exists or is available.

The Jets will become an attractive destination for 6 key reasons. 

1.) Trevor Lawrence as a generational QB prospect. 

2.) Mekhi Becton as a Franchise LT. 

3.) A+ Available Salary Cap space. 

4.) The most amount of draft capital over the next 3 years. 

5.) Joe Douglas (I've been tough on him but he's a respected NFL name).

6.) The bright lights of NY (stinks to lose here but if you're able to win you'll go down as legendary status). 

It could be much worse ala salary cap hell, lack of draft picks and stuck with Sam Darnold. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

The Jets HC job isn't very attractive outside of Lawrence because of Joe Douglas. What on Joe Douglas' resume would give any Head Coach faith that he can build a talented roster? Joe Douglas inherited a bad roster, and somehow made it worse. 

1. Joe Douglas whiffed on nearly every single free agent signing. Most of his acquisitions already need to be replaced.

2. Joe Douglas's draft class has been uninspiring outside of Becton, who is still being outplayed by Wirfs who was available with the pick. 

Unless Douglas has a legendary off-season, people will be calling for his head.  

• Thumb Down 2

19 minutes ago, hamat711 said:

The Jets HC job isn't very attractive outside of Lawrence because of Joe Douglas. What on Joe Douglas' resume would give any Head Coach faith that he can build a talented roster? Joe Douglas inherited a bad roster, and somehow made it worse. 

1. Joe Douglas whiffed on nearly every single free agent signing. Most of his acquisitions already need to be replaced.

2. Joe Douglas's draft class has been uninspiring outside of Becton, who is still being outplayed by Wirfs who was available with the pick. 

I've been tough on JD too but I'm sorry this current JD roster is not his finished product especially considering the fact that once drafting Trevor Lawrence he'll A.) Have A+ available salary cap space and B.) The most amount of draft picks of any other Franchise over the next 3 years. 

4 first round picks along with A+ salary cap over the next two offseasons can go along ways.

So even as someone such as myself who've been unhappy with a lot of JDs moves would be an absolute fool to believe 2020 is his finished product or long-term vision lol

And Wirfs isn't outplaying Becton fk "PFF" he's a RT (not a Franchise LT) and he's blessed to play on an offense that's ran by the greatest QB of All-Time in Tom Brady who gets rid of the ball as quick as any QB out there. Put Wirfs @ LT for Darnold/Flacco and Wirfs becomes exposed. 

Becton has been absolutely dominant when on the football field and was never injury prone @ Louisville. He protected Lamar Jackson and throughout his NCAA career never even ever picked up a single offensive penalty (0). He's going to develop into a HOF LT that's how naturally special he truly is. 

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I've been tough on JD too but I'm sorry this current JD roster is not his finished product especially considering the fact that once drafting Trevor Lawrence he'll A.) Have A+ available salary cap space and B.) The most amount of draft picks of any other Franchise over the next 3 years. 

4 first round picks along with A+ salary cap over the next two offseasons can go along ways.

So even as someone such as myself who've been unhappy with a lot of JDs moves would be an absolute fool to believe 2020 is his finished product or long-term vision lol

And Wirfs isn't outplaying Becton fk "PFF" he's a RT (not a Franchise LT) and he's blessed to play on an offense that's ran by the greatest QB of All-Time in Tom Brady who gets rid of the ball as quick as any QB out there. Put Wirfs @ LT for Darnold/Flacco and Wirfs becomes exposed. 

Becton has been absolutely dominant when on the football field and was never injury prone @ Louisville. He protected Lamar Jackson and throughout his NCAA career never even ever picked up a single offensive penalty (0). He's going to develop into a HOF LT that's how naturally special he truly is. 

Yes the Jets will have a lot of capital, but why should Joe Douglas get the chance to spend it. He has done nothing to earn this chance. 

Wirfs is playing better than Becton, and you are jumping the gun a bit too far on Becton. Wirfs isn't playing the LT because the Bucs have a competent LT already in place. Becton would also be a RT on the Bucs.

14 minutes ago, hamat711 said:

Yes the Jets will have a lot of capital, but why should Joe Douglas get the chance to spend it. He has done nothing to earn this chance. 

Wirfs is playing better than Becton, and you are jumping the gun a bit too far on Becton. Wirfs isn't playing the LT because the Bucs have a competent LT already in place. Becton would also be a RT on the Bucs.

Yes I was jumping the gun on my outlandish HOF remark but Becton would absolutely start over Donovan Smith @ LT. Hes been in the league for 5 years with 0 pro bowls and 0 all pros and as a former 2nd rounder he's really good but far from greatness. Becton (@ full strength) would definitely start over him. 

13 hours ago, PepPep said:

I agree.  You're going to a big market team with what looks like a level-headed GM,  potentially the #1 overall draft pick, lots of additional draft capital, a ton of cap space, the ability to start from scratch, and nowhere to go but up. 

The only concern if you are a highly regarded coaching candidate is ownership and the NY media. There's going to be a lot of pressure from both. If TL is looking like he's not being handled right its going to be on the coach immediately (assuming the Jets get TL). If the offense is just as bad as under Gase, same thing. Etc. etc.  

Oline is worse not better

Robbie got away

giving away talent for 2022 6th rounders

Hard to agree with the level headed GM part

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

Douglas has to two key things this off season:  1:)  He has to sell a possible coach that he will be able to convince Lawrence to sign with the Jets if we draft him.  2.)  He has to get a coach that Lawrence respects and can get the most out of him.

Now even if it's a forgone conclusion that we get Lawrence and every candidate is will to consider us.  You still get the private jet running and wear your best suit. 

I guess we'll find out. I'll just say it seems like the same people who talked themselves into Mac deserving to rebuild his rebuild are now trying to talk themselves into the Jets job being an attractive one. 

Sure, it's attractive. It's one of only 32 openings. If 1 of about...30 other head coaching jobs open up then they're gonna be the 1st choice. 

I agree, the resources available to turn it around are here and strong, no doubt! draft and cap capital have to be the strongest in the NFL.  The real question is how is the front office viewed.  Ultimately two questions about JD will persist.

1) Was he trying to build a competitive team and put out the least talented team in the history of the NFL....or was he cleaning house and prepared to start over.  That league wide perception will matter.

2) Does JD have actual control?   How involved are the Johnsons? Who will be running the franchise when Woody is back?  I’ve read that CJ has truly given full control over to JD.  Who knows if that’s true -

but if it is and there’s faith JD isn’t viewed as a complete disaster this is, in fact, an attractive landing spot.

There are going to be at least 3 other head coaching jobs available (ATL, HOU, JAX) and 4 or 5 others are maybes (DET, CHI, DEN, SD, PHI). IMHO, Hou, SD and Phi are much more attractive than the Jets job . With the exception of DET, all of the other teams have something going for them (ATL has Ryan and Julio Jones, CHI has a good defense, DEN has a decent defense). The Jets are a rebuild from the bottom up.

And you're kidding yourself if you don't take ownership into account. The owners are one of the reasons the Jets are the laughing stocks of the league right now.

The bottom line is that any coach with other options is probably going to go somewhere else.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, hamat711 said:

The Jets HC job becomes attractive if the Johnson's are willing to pay and give the coach full control. Both are extremely unlikely. Expect another coordinator hire.

11 hours ago, hamat711 said:

Wirfs was playing G because thats where he was projected to play and he isnt better than Becton.

And LT trumps G every time, no one here his crying about Wirfs

38 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The Jets HC job becomes attractive if the Johnson's are willing to pay and give the coach full control. Both are extremely unlikely. Expect another coordinator hire.

Who in your estimation is a candidate who's looking for a HC gig that has the right to demand full control other than possibly Harbaugh?  You think an unproven college coach is going to demand full control?  Which one?

And why would any team give your example full control of a team? 

This is nonsense, its proven over and over that there at best a very select few who could do both HC & GM jobs well.

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Wirfs was playing G because thats where he was projected to play and he isnt better than Becton.

And LT trumps G every time, no one here his crying about Wirfs

Wrfs, so far has been the better player. With the information we have now, JD made the wrong choice.

Now, that may certainly change - it surely seems Becton has a MUCH bigger upside, we just don't know if he can stay healthy enough to achieve it.

• Thumb Down 1

12 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Wrfs, so far has been the better player. With the information we have now, JD made the wrong choice.

Now, that may certainly change - it surely seems Becton has a MUCH bigger upside, we just don't know if he can stay healthy enough to achieve it.

No he hasnt, thats the usual we suck nonsense.  

Theres nothing that says we made the wrong choice, where do you come up with this, on what planet is a RT more important than a LT who dominates as a rookie. RT was where some Jets fans wanted to put Becton until he learned how to play and protect the QB.  Now its on equal footing.  

• Sympathy 1