For Those That Prefer Fields Over Trevor Lawrence

THE BARON

If you evaluate college players based on ONE game you're being
silly.  Fields was bad today as he threw 3 INTs and yet:
- He led his team to a win
- They scored 42 points
- And he was 18/30 for 300 yards and 2 TD while being "bad"
I've seen Peyton Manning throw 4 INTs in a game, it happens.
Nothing that happened today "soured" me on Fields, his talents
are still there

He gets a true evaluation when the competition steps up. Nobody cares about how you play vs Medgar Evers , when you have Ohio State on your side. He was terrible under the pressure. That’s what is going to happen at the next level. Not having 30 seconds to pass and a WR on the other end who dwarfs the Db

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, New York Mick said:

It’s not necessarily that people think Fields is better then Lawrence, it’s some people would rather have Fields or Wilson and a bunch of top picks they’ll get in the trade instead of just Lawrence. 

Lawrence isn’t enough to turn this franchise around by himself.  

Three things.  

1) trading from 1 to 2 will not be easy.   And that’s what it would take to get your second favorite QB.   I’m not exactly sure how you’d make that happen.  

2) QB is too important a position to mess around with.  You take th bat QB you can and don’t look back

3) if the Jets do this right and Lawrence is the real deal there are plenty of resources to turn this around.  . 2 1st this year, 33 overall (that’s three picks in top 33) the Darnold pick (2nd or 3rd) 2 first rounders next year.  Massive cap space in a year where the cap will lower.  Franchise LT in place.  

Focus those resources on offense and you’ve rebuilt your offense in one year.  

• Upvote 3

56 minutes ago, KRL said:

If you evaluate college players based on ONE game you're being
silly.  Fields was bad today as he threw 3 INTs and yet:

- He led his team to a win
- They scored 42 points
- And he was 18/30 for 300 yards and 2 TD while being "bad"

I've seen Peyton Manning throw 4 INTs in a game, it happens.
Nothing that happened today "soured" me on Fields, his talents
are still there

It's nutty to me that people are this knee jerk.  Pat Mahomes threw 4 INT's in game in college and had 6 games he threw multiple INT's, ya know, in the Big 12.  Deshaun Wastson had 2 games he threw 3 picks and had 8 games in his career with multiple picks.  Kyler Murray threw 3 picks in a game and had multiple games with 2 or more INT's.  So did Baker Mayfield.   And so on and so and so on and so on....

But then again, none of this should be surprising.  90% of this board thought Mahomes and Watson were 4th round picks and that passing on them for Sam was the right decision.  So I guess overreacting to clueless people overreacting is probably just as silly as thinking that a player who just beat a top 10 team and put up 400 yards of offense in the process, sucks.

• Upvote 3

OMG! Have we gotten to a point where we evaluate a QB on a curve so severe that it's come to a point? My goodness, go back in the history of the best QBs ever & everyone of them have had some terrible games. 

Troy Aikman, Payton Manning have presided over 1-15 seasons in the NFL. These guys are human, they are not robots. Go look at Tom Bradys game vs the Saints 2 weeks ago. He had Darnold numbers. I want Trevor but I'm certainly not basing Fields potential NFL success on 1 college game against a very good defense. The Steelers have been making NFL QBs look pretty bad this year too. This a team game, pressure bursts pipes, there is a reason the 85 Bears, Tampa Bay Bucs & the Ray Lewis Ravens demolished their opponents in the Super Bowl. 

• Upvote 2

It's nutty to me that people are this knee jerk.  Pat Mahomes threw 4 INT's in game in college and had 6 games he threw multiple INT's, ya know, in the Big 12.  Deshaun Wastson had 2 games he threw 3 picks and had 8 games in his career with multiple picks.  Kyler Murray threw 3 picks in a game and had multiple games with 2 or more INT's.  So did Baker Mayfield.   And so on and so and so on and so on....
But then again, none of this should be surprising.  90% of this board thought Mahomes and Watson were 4th round picks and that passing on them for Sam was the right decision.  So I guess overreacting to clueless people overreacting is probably just as silly as thinking that a player who just beat a top 10 team and put up 400 yards of offense in the process, sucks.

Mahomes did not throw 4 picks in his final season before the draft. That’s very relevant

13 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Lawrence didn't have a good game but he definitely didn't throw any INT's. 

Still to this day it took Joe Burrow having the greatest NCAA quarterbacking single season of All-Time (as a 5th year student) to give Trevor Lawrence as a Sophomore his first and only loss (35-1, not bad). And extending back to HS 76-1 throughout his last 77 football games (I'll take my chances). Greatest prospect since Elway/Manning and it's not even close. 

Trevor Lawrence became the 1st and only True Freshman to ever win an NCAA Championship Game dating back to 35 years ago of 1985 (the year I was born) and absolutely destroyed an ALABAMA DEFENSE and I'm sorry but I'm confident Fields would look like dog crap against an ALABAMA DEFENSE!

Lawrence was bad in the championship. The loss had nothing to do with Burrow

He looked like a guy that couldn't handle the spotlight. 

• WTF? 1

1 hour ago, Joejet said:

Syracuse and Pitt joined the ACC in 2013 so neither Marino or McNabb were ACC QBs. Marino was in the 1983 draft class and McNabb 1998.

4 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Big East but nonetheless they merged into the ACC

5 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

When Marino was at Pitt they weren’t in the ACC.

So Big East didn’t field division I college football teams until 1991. 

Pitt and Syracuse were football independents prior to 1991. 

I know this because I’m an old man. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I will just put this out there for future reference as I will continue to comment on both QBs for awhile.  This is not directed at you, just saying in general.

I agree wholeheartedly Lawrence is a DAMN good prospect.  If I were the GM and picking first, I would take him.

I do not necessarily agree that he is a slam dunk, can't miss prospect.  

I also think Fields is a DAMN good prospect.  I think he has about the same exact probability to succeed in the NFL as Lawrence does.

The only reason I point out Lawrence's few shortcomings is because lots of people pretend they don't exist.  If one is to skewer Fields for a bad performance today, then simply acknowledge that Lawrence has had equally bad clunkers in his career too.  Every player does. 

Posts like this initial post are just flat out dumb.  The OP might be the greatest QB evaluator on the planet, but I'll never know because his main point is, "hey look at how bad Fields was today, that proves everything!" 

People want so bad to right about their draft prognostications.

Posts like this make me want to move to Iowa so I can learn some civility and patience.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Three things.  

1) trading from 1 to 2 will not be easy.   And that’s what it would take to get your second favorite QB.   I’m not exactly sure how you’d make that happen.  

2) QB is too important a position to mess around with.  You take th bat QB you can and don’t look back

3) if the Jets do this right and Lawrence is the real deal there are plenty of resources to turn this around.  . 2 1st this year, 33 overall (that’s three picks in top 33) the Darnold pick (2nd or 3rd) 2 first rounders next year.  Massive cap space in a year where the cap will lower.  Franchise LT in place.  

Focus those resources on offense and you’ve rebuilt your offense in one year.  

I’ve never said trade down to 2. I’m thinking more around 5 and getting Wilson. If they can trade to the 2nd spot and get more picks fine. I just don’t trust the organization to do anything right no matter what they choose. 

1. Stay at #1 get Lawrence 

2. Trade to #2 get more picks take Fields 

3. Trade to around 5 get a ton of picks take Wilson

I’d be happy with any of these choices but would be waiting for it to fail. 

2 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I’ve never said trade down to 2. I’m thinking more around 5 and getting Wilson. If they can trade to the 2nd spot and get more picks fine. I just don’t trust the organization to do anything right no matter what they choose. 

1. Stay at #1 get Lawrence 

2. Trade to #2 get more picks take Fields 

3. Trade to around 5 get a ton of picks take Wilson

I’d be happy with any of these choices but would be waiting for it to fail. 

No way you can trade don to 5 and hope your QB is there.   

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, THE BARON said:

For Those That Prefer Fields Over Trevor Lawrence...

Go watch the Hoosiers game.... 

Let me know if he is still 1B to Lawrence 1A

So one game, because of interceptions means his draft ranking changes?

Hes 2nd to Trevor, what's changed?  

• Upvote 2

I really wish everybody would realize the changing narrative thats occured the last month on this great forum. It was TL,and TL alone. Oh,he's a generational prospect you just can't pass on. Now its Fields. Next week, who will it be. Mac Jones. Wilson. Lance????? It's a risky trap that none of us should get caught in.

13 hours ago, JiF said:

He put up 400 total yards of offense and 3 TDs in a win vs a top 10 team with a very good D.  

2 picks were him trying to do too much and way out of character.  It’s not like was getting fooled or reading wrong or throwing bad balls, he was getting dragged to the ground and instead of throwing it away or taking the sack, he did something stupid.  It happens.  Doesn’t change my opinion one bit.  

Well those who wanted Sam pretty much decided after that single game, The Rose Bowl game. So I guess the board turning on fields after a bad showing is much of the same. Nobody really knows anything, I mean damn, as of right now be hard not to give Josh Allen the nod for the best in that QB class at this very moment. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Season opener last year.

We're really complaining about the way he played in a 52-14 win.  TL and Clemson played shltty.  Didnt seem to change anyones opinion of Lawrence.  I'd bet that Luck, etc. and their teams had days like this.  

32 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

We're really complaining about the way he played in a 52-14 win.  TL and Clemson played shltty.  Didnt seem to change anyones opinion of Lawrence.  I'd bet that Luck, etc. and their teams had days like this.  

That's precisely my point that I've made in about 3-4 seperate posts now.

2 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

Mahomes did not throw 4 picks in his final season before the draft. That’s very relevant

No, it's absolutely not relevant at all.  

And how do you know it's his final season?  We assume he's coming out, he hasnt shared his plans. Maybe he does come back and tries to be the 1st overall in 2021.  

And Mahomes in his 2nd to last college game threw for 219 yards, 50% comp, 1 TD and 2 picks in a - 66 to 10 -  blow out loss vs. a 3-8 Iowa St. team but yeah, Fields sucks because he won while putting up 400 yards of offense vs. a top 10 team.

Come On Reaction GIF by NBA

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Well those who wanted Sam pretty much decided after that single game, The Rose Bowl game. So I guess the board turning on fields after a bad showing is much of the same. Nobody really knows anything, I mean damn, as of right now be hard not to give Josh Allen the nod for the best in that QB class at this very moment. 

Correct, and it's not even close.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

That's precisely my point that I've made in about 3-4 seperate posts now.

And that I've been defending Fields from those who think his stock fell or should fall off of one game where he produced but threw a few picks.  

INTs happen, theyre part of the game, even top QBs, every QB will have a 3 INT game somewhere on their resume.  I could care less unless its a habit.  

Watson had 17 INTs in his last season on a very good Clemson team

• Upvote 2