For Those That Prefer Fields Over Trevor Lawrence

THE BARON

22 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Is there anyone dumb enough to think JF is a better prospect than TL? Anyone that honestly thinks that needs to be committed. Justin Fields just another in a long list of GREAT Ohio St. QB's that go on to sh*t the bed in the NFL. It's the system at Ohio St. that's conducive, in a far less challenging league with lesser opponents, to being successful. How many more times must teams be stupid enough to draft an OSU QB top 5 and they immediately fail in the NFL before they begin to catch on?

My eyes are wide open. Objectively, if I thought JF was a good QB I would buck the trend of staying away from OSU QB's without hesitation. However, that's just not the case and yesterday's game PROVED that.

Have you seen where Clemson plays and who they feast against . 

Yes Fields threw 3 picks but still accounted for 3 Tds and 400 Yards of offense against a top 10 team , and his team won. Last time Lawrence played against a top 10 team he sh*t the bed and his team lost. 

9 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Yes Fields threw 3 picks but still accounted for 3 Tds and 400 Yards of offense against a top 10 team , and his team won. Last time Lawrence played against a top 10 team he sh*t the bed and his team lost. 

Fields wasn't the best QB on the field in his game. Penix, the Indiana QB, threw for 495 yards and 5 TDs and only had 1 pick. He also had less time to throw. If you watched the game you would have come away more impressed with him than Fields. It's only one game though and he has time to redeem himself against good competition. Indiana is a good team.

1 minute ago, Greensleeves said:

Fields wasn't the best QB on the field in his game. The Indiana QB threw for almost 500 yards (495 I think) and only had 1 pick. He also had less time to throw. If you watched the game you would have come away more impressed with him than Fields. It's only one game though and he has time to redeem himself against good competition. Indiana is a good team.

There are times when every bigtime college QB is not the best QB on the field. Its happened to Manning , Elway , Marino, Luck, Aikman and its happened to Lawrence and Fields .  I only saw bits of the game as I'm an LSU fan and they played at the same time and I forget to DVR the Ohio St game. But if we're downgrading Fields for a "bad showing" against a quality top 10 team from the Big 10 , we also have to downgrade Lawrence for his dud against LSU last season.  Both have the potential to be very good QB's , but neither is a slam dunk. 

16 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

We can’t be burying guys because of one bad games. Fields had bad decisions all day but as other said, he still had multi TDs, 400+ yards, and won against a good team.

What is more alarming to me, are the QBs who sink their head when they get off to a bad start, throw 3 picks and lose all confidence. I never saw that with Fields. I did see some really bad throws though. But I don’t think that performance changes much for his draft or Heisman stock. Let’s see how he finishes the season...and more importantly how he does in the playoffs.

9 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

We can’t be burying guys because of one bad games. Fields had bad decisions all day but as other said, he still had multi TDs, 400+ yards, and won against a good team.

What is more alarming to me, are the QBs who sink their head when they get off to a bad start, throw 3 picks and lose all confidence. I never saw that with Fields. I did see some really bad throws though. But I don’t think that performance changes much for his draft or Heisman stock. Let’s see how he finishes the season...and more importantly how he does in the playoffs.

I agree wholeheartedly . I just worry that Clemson is so much more dominant then the rest of the ACC the perception of Lawrence gets overhyped . 

On the flipside I'll admit the Big 10 has been wacky as well so far - with Penn St and Michigan looking horrible but teams like Indiana , Purdue , Minnesota and even Rutgers looking better this year.  To me stats are so over rated for a college QB. Its more of can a QB carry his team when adversity hits , does he have leadership , mental toughness to go along with the physical attributes.  Both QB's possess the physical attributes the questions are in the other areas which are so hard to objectively assess. 

My main point still is that we need to pump the brakes on the generational talent BS 

11 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I agree wholeheartedly . I just worry that Clemson is so much more dominant then the rest of the ACC the perception of Lawrence gets overhyped . 

On the flipside I'll admit the Big 10 has been wacky as well so far - with Penn St and Michigan looking horrible but teams like Indiana , Purdue , Minnesota and even Rutgers looking better this year.  To me stats are so over rated for a college QB. Its more of can a QB carry his team when adversity hits , does he have leadership , mental toughness to go along with the physical attributes.  Both QB's possess the physical attributes the questions are in the other areas which are so hard to objectively assess. 

My main point still is that we need to pump the brakes on the generational talent BS 

I was actually defending Fields with my “one bad game” comment. But yes, stats are very inflated/skewed in college. I said it before in another thread but Josh Allen is the best recent example of how you make it work with a college QB. Look at how many bad games/stats Josh Allen had in college. But he had the traits.

If a player has the tools + the right mentality....you pair that with the right organization/coach/roster and the player will develop. If Sam went to Buffalo, I’m sure he’d be lighting it up.

3 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I was actually defending Fields with my “one bad game” comment. But yes, stats are very inflated/skewed in college. I said it before in another thread but Josh Allen is the best recent example of how you make it work with a college QB. Look at how many bad games/stats Josh Allen had in college. But he had the traits.

If a player has the tools + the right mentality....you pair that with the right organization/coach/roster and the player will develop. If Sam went to Buffalo, I’m sure he’d be lighting it up.

Agree with almost everything you say.  I'm not sure if Sam would be lighting it up in Buffalo. I'm sure we'd give the edge to them at skill positions and at OC (Daboll) but Jesse Palmer was credited with a lot of Allen's growth , the same guy Sam worked with all off season. For me Sam is regressing or not developing at the mental aspect of the game and that's troublesome. 

I'm too lazy to go back and search the forum, but I'm actually one of the few who liked Allen over Mayfield/Sam coming out of college. My main reasons were 1) Physicality , 2) He basically was and carried his team , he wasn't surrounded by an all star cast , but he also didn't play against top notch talent either 3) He played in cold/ bad weather. 4) I was worried Sam didn't love the game and had the fire needed as an NFL QB. The last two points were the reasons I wanted Allen. 

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Agree with almost everything you say.  I'm not sure if Sam would be lighting it up in Buffalo. I'm sure we'd give the edge to them at skill positions and at OC (Daboll) but Jesse Palmer was credited with a lot of Allen's growth , the same guy Sam worked with all off season. For me Sam is regressing or not developing at the mental aspect of the game and that's troublesome. 

I'm too lazy to go back and search the forum, but I'm actually one of the few who liked Allen over Mayfield/Sam coming out of college. My main reasons were 1) Physicality , 2) He basically was and carried his team , he wasn't surrounded by an all star cast , but he also didn't play against top notch talent either 3) He played in cold/ bad weather. 4) I was worried Sam didn't love the game and had the fire needed as an NFL QB. The last two points were the reasons I wanted Allen. 

You’re definitely right about the mental aspect, as far as Sam declining. I wonder how much of that is him and/or as a result of never having proper coaching and talent. Who knows.

I wasn’t keen on Josh Allen due to the accuracy issues. Shows how much I know lol.