If Jets beat Chargers...

kevinc855

Just now, bealeb319 said:

Darnold isn't as bad as people make him out to be even if he is not elite if you built a team around him he can be good enough to win games. It is a shame that gase has done such a terrible job developing the kid and it's a shame that even our revamped offensive line outside of becton who has been on and off the field all season has been terrible but there are worse positions we could be in than going into next season with Sam darnold starting. I know alot of people don't want to hear it but it's the truth.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

Fully agree.  I think we can still win big with Sam but the circumstances are probably never going to allow it.  Regardless, though, I wouldn't pass on Trevor Lawrence even if Sam was playing well.  For the Jets to win Superbowls, we're going to have to go through Pat Mahomes (at least in the AFC).  We need the most firepower we can get at that position.

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

To see the new QB we will be getting next year watch the chargers QB out there today.

Trevor Lawrence is Justin Herbert.  Same size, a lot of the same physical attributes.

Excellent QB prospect, not 'generational'

Wrong. Lawrence is faster, more accurate and a better decision maker. Just bc they're both white with long hair doesn't mean they're the same. Try watching them actually play, that might help. 

Just now, choon328 said:

Wrong. Lawrence is faster, more accurate and a better decision maker. Just bc they're both white with long hair doesn't mean they're the same. Try watching them actually play, that might help. 

Trevor played from god team clemson, herbert played for frickin oregon.

When playing vs ohio state and lsu last year trevors accuracy was nothing to crow about, when he tossed 5 int in the 1t 5 games that year his decision making was not great.

(And I knew I'd get the old 'they are nothing alike; comment so I am not offended)

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

Meltdowns are part of why we are all here.  This is a "message board" after all, and what more exciting way to deliver a message than by epic meltdown?  Weren't you at the center of one of the most epic meltdowns over on that other, now-extinct, message board?  re: GJ&H

I mean, sure, a guy did try to get me to come to a Western Beef parking lot on Staten Island to fight him because of Sarah Palin, but who amongst us hasn’t that happened to?

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Not having a team is worse. Have we learned nothing?

Without a QB, you’re just wasting a team.  Let’s say JD does an absurd thing like trade the first overall pick.  Who is he building around?  Who is helping us compete for a title?  We went down the road of “build a team with no QB” when we had Sanchez.  Eventually Mark hit a wall, stopped developing, and we had to blow it all up.

2 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Darnold isn't as bad as people make him out to be even if he is not elite if you built a team around him he can be good enough to win games. It is a shame that gase has done such a terrible job developing the kid and it's a shame that even our revamped offensive line outside of becton who has been on and off the field all season has been terrible but there are worse positions we could be in than going into next season with Sam darnold starting. I know alot of people don't want to hear it but it's the truth.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

Sam is as bad as people make him out to be.  Whether this was due to Maccagnan building a nightmare roster or Gase’s tutelage and, lastly, can he be fixed with a change of scenery are the big questions that remain.

4 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

2 of the 3 interceptions for Fields yesterday was him trying to do too much. He just was trying to make a play when there was none. He should have just eaten the ball and taken the sack. That is on him though, and it was a chink in the armor exposed yesterday. Credit Indiana for getting in his face yesterday. This is how young qb's learn. Or, it shows faults. Again, this was not a reading defense problem yesterday.

That’s been the story of Sam Darnold under Gase without a running game or very good WRs. A guy trying to do too much and feeling forced to make plays beyond what’s there. This place will lose it if we draft another like that. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

And how do you figure we're getting a QB without the draft?  

Lots of difference makers can be found in FA.  

Who was the last FA that put a team on the next level? 

We can get a QB later. We can hobble along with Sam for another season. Even with Lawrence this isn't a playoff team. 

4 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Who was the last FA that put a team on the next level? 

We can get a QB later. We can hobble along with Sam for another season. Even with Lawrence this isn't a playoff team. 

Bart Scott, Lionhart, Jones, Edwards, Faneca etc, etc helped build the last good Jets team

Youre not putting off the QB until later if hes sitting there to be picked.  QBs are gotten through the draft more than likely

5 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

You can't wait for Marvin Harrison and Marshall Falk to arrive to take the QB. You might never GET that chance again. QB is priority.

Can you imagine if Lawrence lives up to the hype and goes on to a Hall of Fame career and we passed on him because we wanted more late first round and second round draft picks?

Honestly, unless we surround the next QN with enough talent that they can hit the ground running, it won't matter. We we need to think long term. Most likely they take Lawrence or Fields anyway. It's the glamour thing to do and team mostly do that. I just think need so many players, theore first round talent, the better

3 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Without a QB, you’re just wasting a team.  Let’s say JD does an absurd thing like trade the first overall pick.  Who is he building around?  Who is helping us compete for a title?  We went down the road of “build a team with no QB” when we had Sanchez.  Eventually Mark hit a wall, stopped developing, and we had to blow it all up.

Because this team has literally nobody worth keeping except Becton and Q, there is a really good chance Lawrence struggles for 2 seasons or more. Clemson is a loaded team. And so far JD hasn't brought in one FA worth a ? so we don't have evidence he can get us talent that way. He wants to build through the draft. That is going to take another 2 or 3 years to see results. If we have more picks in the first two rounds, maybe we see results in 1 more year and draft a QB in 2022. We aren't a playoff team in the next year or two no matter who the QB is. 

15 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Bart Scott, Lionhart, Jones, Edwards, Faneca etc, etc helped build the last good Jets team

Youre not putting off the QB until later if hes sitting there to be picked.  QBs are gotten through the draft more than likely

Bart Scott had one good season with the Jets. Jones I will give you was good but I wouldn't say he was a next level talent, Faneca was OK, he was on his way towards the door when we got him, Edwards was also a one year guy. I loved watching him but we need long term fixes here. We aren't a year or two away. 

Who is Lionheart?

16 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Honestly, unless we surround the next QN with enough talent that they can hit the ground running, it won't matter. We we need to think long term. Most likely they take Lawrence or Fields anyway. It's the glamour thing to do and team mostly do that. I just think need so many players, theore first round talent, the better

There is nothing more long term in the NFL than a franchise QB. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Because this team has literally nobody worth keeping except Becton and Q, there is a really good chance Lawrence struggles for 2 seasons or more. Clemson is a loaded team. And so far JD hasn't brought in one FA worth a ? so we don't have evidence he can get us talent that way. He wants to build through the draft. That is going to take another 2 or 3 years to see results. If we have more picks in the first two rounds, maybe we see results in 1 more year and draft a QB in 2022. We aren't a playoff team in the next year or two no matter who the QB is. 

Unless you know who that QB is going to be, this is a nebulous plan.

Just now, Gastineau Lives said:

There is nothing more long term in the NFL than a franchise QB. 

Yeah, everyone thought Sam, Rosen, Mayfield, Geoff, Tribisky, were all franchise QB's. As highly regarded as Luck was, how was his career? There is no guarantee Lawrence is next level talent. I would say odds are better he is than some others but he can be another one of the guys I listed that never gets the team to the next level. More first round taken is a better chance you get next level talent. We aren't doi f it anyway. Fields or Lawrence will be the pick. 

3 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Yeah, everyone thought Sam, Rosen, Mayfield, Geoff, Tribisky, were all franchise QB's. As highly regarded as Luck was, how was his career? There is no guarantee Lawrence is next level talent. I would say odds are better he is than some others but he can be another one of the guys I listed that never gets the team to the next level. More first round taken is a better chance you get next level talent. We aren't doi f it anyway. Fields or Lawrence will be the pick. 

Well now we're doing an evaluation of Trevor Lawrence, which is a completely different discussion than the one we're having.