Ficken

Just now, Lot K Tailgaters said:

Why did the Jets even let him kick?  He’s terrible.  Maybe I am missing something but why wasn’t Castillo in?  He has been great.  

Ficken was good until his injury and he clearly wasn’t 100% yet. No idea why we didn’t keep Castillo.

• Upvote 3

Ficken was great this year before the injury. Don't know why they rushed him back with the way Castillo was playing, but maybe they saw something in practice. In any case, they kept Castillo on the roster.

Maybe they wanted to give Ficken another chance and if he didn't perform they will cut him and keep Castillo for the rest of the year?

• Upvote 1

They owed Ficken a chance to keep his job, the other 52 men in that locker room and the entire league are being taught how the Jets operate and fairness is something very important.

Now that Ficken hasn't performed well we can give the job to Castillo.

SAR I

24 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Whoever chose to replace Castillo with Ficken is a moron and people wonder why the NY Jets are 0-10. 

Sam Ficken is 9 of 10 on field goals this year with the only miss being from 50+.

Castillo looked good but he is a journeyman. Finding out if Ficken is legit is FAR more important for the rest of this year.

Just now, SAR I said:

They owed Ficken a chance to keep his job, the other 52 men in that locker room and the entire league are being taught how the Jets operate and fairness is something very important.

SAR I

So by that logic you admit they owe it to the team to cut Adam Gase when the season is over I guess?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

Sam Ficken is 9 of 10 on field goals this year with the only miss being from 50+.

Castillo looked good but he is a journeyman. Finding out if Ficken is legit is FAR more important for the rest of this year.

Sergio Castillo 6-7 FG's 4-4 XP Longest FG made 55 yards.

16 minutes ago, Maxman said:

So by that logic you admit they owe it to the team to cut Adam Gase when the season is over I guess?

We all agree that John Idzik and Mike Maccagnan were terrible GM's and the Jets haven't drafted well for a decade.  We all agree that the Jets, particularly in this injured/opted-out/traded/fire-sale state, have the worst roster in the NFL.

So we don't judge Adam Gase on W's and L's.  We judge him on how professionally the locker room handles itself, on how the organizational culture is developing, on how the team responds to his leadership, on how hard the team plays on Sunday's, and how the rookies are developing.

Gase gets an "A" on all of the above.  We know know that when the roster is ready to win, Gase has 80% of the job nailed.  The other 20%?  The playbook sophistication, the playcalling tempo, the sexiness of the offense, the rankings?  We hope that comes when the roster isn't a league joke.  And based on his past successes in Denver and Miami in years when his roster was respectable, and based on last year's strong finish, we can feel confident that he's going to nail that too.

SAR I

The commentary team made a valid point about this - a kicker coming back of injury may be fully healed physically, but may not be mentally in the same place. Hence he will be "rusty" rather than still hurt - he needs to be able to trust his body will hold up in game conditions. 

So any time they brought him back the result could have been the same I guess. Might as well get the clunker of a game out of the way and hope for "normal service" to be resumed from now on.

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Can you point out where Gase has performed well as a HC? If not then I would assume you agree he needs to also be fired. 

Oh wait, I forgot, he's football man, not a HC.

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

We all agree that John Idzik and Mike Maccagnan were terrible GM's and the Jets haven't drafted well for a decade.  We all agree that the Jets, particularly in this injured/opted-out/traded/fire-sale state, have the worst roster in the NFL.

So we don't judge Adam Gase on W's and L's.  We judge him on how professionally the locker room handles itself, on how the organizational culture is developing, on how the team responds to his leadership, on how hard the team plays on Sunday's, and how the rookies are developing.

Gase gets an "A" on all of the above.  We know know that when the roster is ready to win, Gase has 80% of the job nailed.  The other 20%?  The playbook sophistication, the playcalling tempo, the sexiness of the offense, the rankings?  We hope that comes when the roster isn't a league joke.  And based on his past successes in Denver and Miami in years when his roster was respectable, and based on last year's strong finish, we can feel confident that he's going to nail that too.

SAR I

...oh no facepalm GIF

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Can you point out where Gase has performed well as a HC? If not then I would assume you agree he needs to also be fired. 

Oh wait, I forgot, he's football man, not a HC.

80% of the job of an NFL head coach are the things that happen outside of the 60 minutes on Sunday's.  Gase has done a great job on those things under the worst possible circumstances in the toughest job in the NFL and for that we give him credit and hope that when the roster improves he will too.

The Jets have problems all over the roster; it is comforting to know that we do not have any problems in the front office or the coaching rooms.  It is a relief to know that all we need is a roster of better players to turn this thing around, not anything else.

SAR I

9 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Yes, as the HC of an 0-10 team I too would not want to be judged on Ws and Ls.

Experts and most in this forum thought the Jets would go 5-11 this year during debate in June and July.  

Then Adams was traded.  Then Mosley opted-out.  Then Darnold busted.  Then Bell was traded.  Then Darnold got hurt.  And Mims and Crowder and Perriman didn't play a down together until halfway through the season.  And our best running back is 50 years old.  And our entire secondary is made up of rookies and nobodies.  And our backup quarterback hasn't played in a year.

With all those players gone or injured and replaced with scrubs, what exactly did you expect from a team most had at 5-11?  If it's any comfort, if the D holds on to 4th quarter leads we'd have 2 wins, if we could have contained a rookie quarterback yesterday we'd have 3.  That sounds about right.  A 5 win team without Adams, Mosley, Bell, and Darnold.....and you expect more than a solid effort and a predictable loss?  

SAR I

48 minutes ago, SAR I said:

80% of the job of an NFL head coach are the things that happen outside of the 60 minutes on Sunday's.  Gase has done a great job on those things under the worst possible circumstances in the toughest job in the NFL and for that we give him credit and hope that when the roster improves he will too.

The Jets have problems all over the roster; it is comforting to know that we do not have any problems in the front office or the coaching rooms.  It is a relief to know that all we need is a roster of better players to turn this thing around, not anything else.

SAR I

So hoping he improves means he isn't doing his job. Like we are hoping Sam improves. 

Got it. 10-0. Gase is about to be one of 4 HC's to go winless. This is the guy the Jets need.

Castillo's kicking mechanics are very good. I wasn't expecting much, but I have been impressed.

Ficken makes me nervous, especially now that he is coming back from injury.

Might be best to put Ficken on the IR for the rest of the year, let Castillo finish out the season, then let them both battle it out in camp next year.