Jump to content
KRL

Game Observations (LAC)

Recommended Posts

If Hall can set up at CB1, I think Austin could see more success covering the second receiver. Well...next year. Still would not mind upgrading the position. 

Great writeup as usual, KRL. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, KRL said:

Interesting dynamics going on in the last two games.  Two close losses
(good) and within the contests young players are flashing (better).  On
top of that I've been impressed with the fight I'm seeing.  There's been
no "loafing" and players seem dialed in looking to win the game.  Are
these indications that a young roster hasn't been tainted by 0-10 and
are developing or is it a "dead cat bounce", we'll see:

- Mekhi Becton throws a shutout against Bosa & Ingram as he locks down the
left side.  LAC actually flipped Bosa to the right side to get him away
from Becton.  He had a crazy double block on LaMical Perine's TD run,
Becton "hand checked" Bosa out of the way then got to the second level and
took out the LB.  Stud

- Impressive leap forward for Bryce Hall in his second game.  No longer
tentative he competed hard and produced 7 Tkls, a TFL and nice awareness/
coverage on deep routes.  He got chewed up by Allen just like everyone
else but the tools are there.  In my book he's surpassed Bless Austin in
just two games 

- Continued growth by Ashtyn Davis as he finished with 12 Tkls, a TFL and
a Fumble Recovery.  He's light on strength and his blitz timing needs
work but I can see him filling the "hybrid" role in the future

- Denzel Mims had his best game (3 recs / 71 yds) so far with multiple
high point acrobatic catches.  He also drew multiple pass interference
penalties and showed excellent strength in not getting knocked off his
routes and fighting for catches

- I said it before I'll have no problem if Joe Douglas brings back Breshad
Perriman on another one year deal.  Excellent deep speed and ball tracking
again (2 recs / 54 yds / TD), having him as a #4 WR next year would provide
terrific depth and versatility

- Of course Chris Herndon had to drop another easy ball.  But then he infuriates
you by making two acrobatic catches (2 recs / 32 yds / TD) as he stretched the
field similar to 2018.  Question Herndon, which player are you exactly???

- So Sam Ficken you come back to take over for Sergio Castillo and miss 2 XP?
Really???  Castillo hang around Florham Park, you'll definitely be invited back
for camp next year

- LaMical Perine you have to stay on the field.  A decent start (8 rush / 33 yds /
TD) gets cut short by an injury

- With Steve McLendon leaving Foley Fatukasi has grown as a NT.  Good game (6 Tkls,
1.5 TFL) as he led an excellent rush defense (26 rush / 29 yds) that clamped down
LAC

- Quinnen Williams makes a nice return from his injury (3 Tkls, Sack, TFL, 2 QB Hits)


Other Stuff

- I'm surprised at Justin Herbert's performance so far.  Is he this good or is he a 
product of throwing to big time WR's like Allen, Williams and Henry?  Or a combination
of both, we'll see

- With the fight I'm seeing from the players and Sam Darnold coming back I'm concerned
that this team may win some games going forward  

Justin Herbert could have eaten pizza with a fork & knife back there yesterday. Like the announcers said ad nausem, this Jet defense is terrible at applying pressure to the opposing QB. That's why its hard to evaluate the secondary! You've got a hot rookie QB with confidence throwing to a top 5 WR in Allen, and they have other nice weapons, and he's sitting back there surveying the entire field a few times being able to come back to the middle! 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Justin Herbert could have eaten pizza with a fork & knife back there yesterday. Like the announcers said ad nausem, this Jet defense is terrible at applying pressure to the opposing QB. That's why its hard to evaluate the secondary! You've got a hot rookie QB with confidence throwing to a top 5 WR in Allen, and they have other nice weapons, and he's sitting back there surveying the entire field a few times being able to come back to the middle! 

Flacco/we actually got saved twice on two bad Bosa penalties.  First one, IMO, was an awful call by the officials after Bosa lost his balance and hit Flacco low.  Have not seen him play much, but Bosa appears to be a complete dumbass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, KRL said:

Interesting dynamics going on in the last two games.  Two close losses
(good) and within the contests young players are flashing (better).  On
top of that I've been impressed with the fight I'm seeing.  There's been
no "loafing" and players seem dialed in looking to win the game.  Are
these indications that a young roster hasn't been tainted by 0-10 and
are developing

That's good head coaching, should have been a bullet point.  That's two years in a row that a bad roster decimated by injuries kept its sh*t together despite every reason not to.  That's indicative of a respected head coach that the players have faith in and that our rebuild is in good hands.  Just as important, or perhaps more important, than our rookies flashing.

Great recap otherwise, KRL.

SAR I

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 6
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, KRL said:

 

- With the fight I'm seeing from the players and Sam Darnold coming back I'm concerned
that this team may win some games going forward  

Or this could simply be how a normal offense functions when you have a qb who can read a defense and make some accurate throws downfield.  Darnold has to show that he can produce with these wrs or else his value could really diminish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This seems pretty rosy.  They were hammered by a 2-7 team.  I like what I have seen from Becton, and Mims, but think the love-fest is a bit overblown.  Even if I accept that Becton is playing as well as you all think, he sure spends a bunch of time on the sideline and I think conditioning and care of his body was always one of the main concerns.  

Bryce Hall?  Eh.  I don't know what to make of him, but I don't think he is the kind of guy I'd have gone after.  He seems to be getting the Bless Austin treatment to me - less responsibility, more help.  If he is a serviceable NFL player in the 4th, I guess that is a win, but he has a long way to go to reach Dwight Lowery in my eyes.

I actually watch these games like it is the preseason and I agree there were some things to like.  I just don't think that it is all going to translate when it actually matters.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

This seems pretty rosy.  They were hammered by a 2-7 team.  I like what I have seen from Becton, and Mims, but think the love-fest is a bit overblown.  Even if I accept that Becton is playing as well as you all think, he sure spends a bunch of time on the sideline and I think conditioning and care of his body was always one of the main concerns.  

Bryce Hall?  Eh.  I don't know what to make of him, but I don't think he is the kind of guy I'd have gone after.  He seems to be getting the Bless Austin treatment to me - less responsibility, more help.  If he is a serviceable NFL player in the 4th, I guess that is a win, but he has a long way to go to reach Dwight Lowery in my eyes.

I actually watch these games like it is the preseason and I agree there were some things to like.  I just don't think that it is all going to translate when it actually matters.

Yea, let’s evaluate Bryce Hall after 2 NFL games 😆. He had a couple pass defenses yesterday that were better than Kyle Wilson in year 3. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Flacco/we actually got saved twice on two bad Bosa penalties.  First one, IMO, was an awful call by the officials after Bosa lost his balance and hit Flacco low.  Have not seen him play much, but Bosa appears to be a complete dumbass.

After he fell and crawled on his hands and knees to hit Flacco bellow the knees?  Its a clear penalty, no matter how many time Gannon said he accidentally crawled to hit Flaccos lower leg.  We complain that Brady got the benefit of the Brady rule, its good to see it work in our favor.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

This seems pretty rosy.  They were hammered by a 2-7 team.  I like what I have seen from Becton, and Mims, but think the love-fest is a bit overblown.  Even if I accept that Becton is playing as well as you all think, he sure spends a bunch of time on the sideline and I think conditioning and care of his body was always one of the main concerns.  

Bryce Hall?  Eh.  I don't know what to make of him, but I don't think he is the kind of guy I'd have gone after.  He seems to be getting the Bless Austin treatment to me - less responsibility, more help.  If he is a serviceable NFL player in the 4th, I guess that is a win, but he has a long way to go to reach Dwight Lowery in my eyes.

I actually watch these games like it is the preseason and I agree there were some things to like.  I just don't think that it is all going to translate when it actually matters.

Too negative.  The point is we do have some guys worth keeping long term. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

If Sam starts winning with actual healthy talent around him what is there to be concerned about?  He is your QB going forward and you grab him another stud WR at the top of the draft to help him even more.

I think That’s the issue. He never took that second step and it’s year 3. If anything, last two weeks have told us we are not an 0-10 team so naturally you look back at coaching and then some at the QB. Sam hasn’t been good and missing wide open WRs can’t be put on coaching.

The decision to tank has already been made with the non-firing of Adam Gase. Trevor or Fields will be a Jet in 2021 (probably Trevor). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Or this could simply be how a normal offense functions when you have a qb who can read a defense and make some accurate throws downfield.  Darnold has to show that he can produce with these wrs or else his value could really diminish.

Funny thing is Flacco was worse than Darnold when the WRs were out as they'd been for Darnold.  Flaccos ability to read a defense sure got a whole lot better when Perriman, Crowder and Mims started playing 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KRL said:

- I said it before I'll have no problem if Joe Douglas brings back Breshad
Perriman on another one year deal.  Excellent deep speed and ball tracking
again (2 recs / 54 yds / TD), having him as a #4 WR next year would provide

 

- With the fight I'm seeing from the players and Sam Darnold coming back I'm concerned
that this team may win some games going forward  

- If you bring Perriman back as anything more it is a mistake, IMO. #4 WR sounds about right for a guy that can't stay on the field consistently. Deep threat and not much more. Agree

 

- If Darnold finds his confidence/balls yes we could win a few games. (its the JETS way to win meaningless games and ruin draft position, while also potentially giving CJ pause on firing Gase)

 

goods stuff @KRL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

This seems pretty rosy.  They were hammered by a 2-7 team.  I like what I have seen from Becton, and Mims, but think the love-fest is a bit overblown.  Even if I accept that Becton is playing as well as you all think, he sure spends a bunch of time on the sideline and I think conditioning and care of his body was always one of the main concerns.  

Bryce Hall?  Eh.  I don't know what to make of him, but I don't think he is the kind of guy I'd have gone after.  He seems to be getting the Bless Austin treatment to me - less responsibility, more help.  If he is a serviceable NFL player in the 4th, I guess that is a win, but he has a long way to go to reach Dwight Lowery in my eyes.

I actually watch these games like it is the preseason and I agree there were some things to like.  I just don't think that it is all going to translate when it actually matters.

The New York Jets offense put up 26 points against an actual NFL team. This is a cause de celebre.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

After he fell and crawled on his hands and knees to hit Flacco bellow the knees?  Its a clear penalty, no matter how many time Gannon said he accidentally crawled to hit Flaccos lower leg.  We complain that Brady got the benefit of the Brady rule, its good to see it work in our favor.

Other than in our current world where we are hoping for losses to get a QB, I would be happy for that call, too.  But from what I saw, that was not a penalty.  At best, Bosa lightly taps Flacco and causes him to fall with the arm tackle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked your comments and the post.  Just a point from my point of view to add.  DBs making a lot of tackles is not a good thing.  Just saying  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Yea, let’s evaluate Bryce Hall after 2 NFL games 😆. He had a couple pass defenses yesterday that were better than Kyle Wilson in year 3. 

Um... the guys up there already put him in front of Austin (who similarly pumped up last season) and are talking about him being installed as CB1.  He looked like a typical low-level bail and keep it in front of me corner.  Exactly the type I don't want, though that may be what they are looking for.  We are talking about him after a game where  a rookie QB went for 366 yards?  Their top 3 WRs had like 275. Yes, it is early days, but I wasn't impressed.  Hopefully, he is just rusty, but I have not liked what I have seen.   

12 minutes ago, Dupe said:

Too negative.  The point is we do have some guys worth keeping long term. 

Long term?  Who has earned a 2nd contract? 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Funny thing is Flacco was worse than Darnold when the WRs were out as they'd been for Darnold.  Flaccos ability to read a defense sure got a whole lot better when Perriman, Crowder and Mims started playing 

In the nfl if you have fast wrs and a qb who can throw at least a decent deep ball you have a chance. And that’s what we’re seeing now with Flacco, mims and perriman.  The big question is, how would darnold do with this group?  I doubt his deep ball is comparable to flacccos.  And I’m assuming Trevor is watching these jet games thinking, ‘this offense isn’t terrible, it’s just that darnold couldn’t do it’.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KRL said:

Interesting dynamics going on in the last two games.  Two close losses
(good) and within the contests young players are flashing (better).  On
top of that I've been impressed with the fight I'm seeing.  There's been
no "loafing" and players seem dialed in looking to win the game.  Are
these indications that a young roster hasn't been tainted by 0-10 and
are developing or is it a "dead cat bounce", we'll see:

- Mekhi Becton throws a shutout against Bosa & Ingram as he locks down the
left side.  LAC actually flipped Bosa to the right side to get him away
from Becton.  He had a crazy double block on LaMical Perine's TD run,
Becton "hand checked" Bosa out of the way then got to the second level and
took out the LB.  Stud

- Impressive leap forward for Bryce Hall in his second game.  No longer
tentative he competed hard and produced 7 Tkls, a TFL and nice awareness/
coverage on deep routes.  He got chewed up by Allen just like everyone
else but the tools are there.  In my book he's surpassed Bless Austin in
just two games 

- Continued growth by Ashtyn Davis as he finished with 12 Tkls, a TFL and
a Fumble Recovery.  He's light on strength and his blitz timing needs
work but I can see him filling the "hybrid" role in the future

- Denzel Mims had his best game (3 recs / 71 yds) so far with multiple
high point acrobatic catches.  He also drew multiple pass interference
penalties and showed excellent strength in not getting knocked off his
routes and fighting for catches

- I said it before I'll have no problem if Joe Douglas brings back Breshad
Perriman on another one year deal.  Excellent deep speed and ball tracking
again (2 recs / 54 yds / TD), having him as a #4 WR next year would provide
terrific depth and versatility

- Of course Chris Herndon had to drop another easy ball.  But then he infuriates
you by making two acrobatic catches (2 recs / 32 yds / TD) as he stretched the
field similar to 2018.  Question Herndon, which player are you exactly???

- So Sam Ficken you come back to take over for Sergio Castillo and miss 2 XP?
Really???  Castillo hang around Florham Park, you'll definitely be invited back
for camp next year

- LaMical Perine you have to stay on the field.  A decent start (8 rush / 33 yds /
TD) gets cut short by an injury

- With Steve McLendon leaving Foley Fatukasi has grown as a NT.  Good game (6 Tkls,
1.5 TFL) as he led an excellent rush defense (26 rush / 29 yds) that clamped down
LAC

- Quinnen Williams makes a nice return from his injury (3 Tkls, Sack, TFL, 2 QB Hits)


Other Stuff

- I'm surprised at Justin Herbert's performance so far.  Is he this good or is he a 
product of throwing to big time WR's like Allen, Williams and Henry?  Or a combination
of both, we'll see

- With the fight I'm seeing from the players and Sam Darnold coming back I'm concerned
that this team may win some games going forward  

As far as the Jets winning some games, there are really only 2 games that worry me.  Miami next week and the Patriots on the last game of the year.  Personally, I would love to see Morgan start that last game.  It just makes sense, and give Morgan some "real game time" experience going into the offseason.  By starting Morgan, we would almost surely lose that game to the Patriots.

Jets will lose to Seattle, Rams, Raiders and hopefully to Cleveland as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

The New York Jets offense put up 26 points against an actual NFL team. This is a cause de celebre.

Of course it is the least points they have given up since week 3, and we probably should subtract some  for the pick 6. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Of course it is the least points they have given up since week 3, and we probably should subtract some  for the pick 6. 

And the rona virus is raging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

In the nfl if you have fast wrs and a qb who can throw at least a decent deep ball you have a chance. And that’s what we’re seeing now with Flacco, mims and perriman.  The big question is, how would darnold do with this group?  I doubt his deep ball is comparable to flacccos.  And I’m assuming Trevor is watching these jet games thinking, ‘this offense isn’t terrible, it’s just that darnold couldn’t do it’.

Still we saw how bad Flacco looked without the WRs reunited.  He was awful, worse than Darnold.  He didnt look like a better deep thrower.  Darnold hit Anderson with deep passes, you have to have WRs who can run a pattern and gain a step to throw deep and Sam hasnt had it on any kind of consistent basis.  Look how much easier it is for a Herbert to have all his WRs running tight patterns, separating and then catching passes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One guy not mentioned was Maye.  I think he continues to show that he can fill the Adams role in GW's system quite admirably.  Didn't get the numbers yesterday but he made some big-time plays and he can absolutely make the hard tackle when it's needed.  I would be absolutely fine paying that man to be our #1 Safety rather than bring in another retread on the cheap and risk getting McDougalded (is that a word?). 

Another name you hardly hear mentioned but is always around the ball is Hewitt.  He makes a ton of tackles.  Gets in on a few splash plays, and basically doesn't seem to make bad plays.  I think he's a solid guy who can start next to Mosley in 3-4 formation next season.  

And can we get a little love for Henry Anderson who showed up large.

I'm a little higher on Perriman than most.  As I recall, Keenan Allen was saddled with the injury label his first few years.  He missed most of his 3rd and 4th seasons.  Then finally got healthy and went on to tear up the league.  I see that kind of talent in Perriman.  He can outrun single coverage and he can catch the ball.  You need a guy like that on your team and I think, if he stays healthy, he's every bit as good as Anderson.  I'd love to see him back next season running with Mims, Crowder and whatever FA we bring in.  It makes for a diverse, talented WR group that would let us focus on other positions of greater need in the draft.

I'd be fine waving goodbye to Ficken for good and just running with Castillo the rest of the year.  Two missed XPs?  No.

Finally.  To the announcers.  Denzel Mims, Breshad Perriman, Denzel Perryman.  I know it can be confusing but you guys mangled those names so many times I though you were pulling a Roger Goodell draft night routine.

  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Still we saw how bad Flacco looked without the WRs reunited.  He was awful, worse than Darnold.  He didnt look like a better deep thrower.  Darnold hit Anderson with deep passes, you have to have WRs who can run a pattern and gain a step to throw deep and Sam hasnt had it on any kind of consistent basis.  Look how much easier it is for a Herbert to have all his WRs running tight patterns, separating and then catching passes.

Darnold also misssed Robbie on a fair amount of deep throws.  Again, seeing how darnold looks with these wrs and possibly even herndon masquerading as a TE, this will tell a lot.  There’s a fair amount of personnnel guys around the league who think darnold has been given crap and that’s true.  And if he still looks like crap with these guys while Flacco is throwing long tds that will really say more about darnold than anything he’s done so far.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

If Sam starts winning with actual healthy talent around him what is there to be concerned about?  He is your QB going forward and you grab him another stud WR at the top of the draft to help him even more.

I say we give Sam one more year, trade out of the high pick and load up with talent that he hasnt had around him.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

One guy not mentioned was Maye.  I think he continues to show that he can fill the Adams role in GW's system quite admirably.  Didn't get the numbers yesterday but he made some big-time plays and he can absolutely make the hard tackle when it's needed.  I would be absolutely fine paying that man to be our #1 Safety rather than bring in another retread on the cheap and risk getting McDougalded (is that a word?). 

Another name you hardly hear mentioned but is always around the ball is Hewitt.  He makes a ton of tackles.  Gets in on a few splash plays, and basically doesn't seem to make bad plays.  I think he's a solid guy who can start next to Mosley in 3-4 formation next season.  

I'm a little higher on Perriman than most.  As I recall, Keenan Allen was saddled with the injury label his first few years.  He missed most of his 3rd and 4th seasons.  Then finally got healthy and went on to tear up the league.  I see that kind of talent in Perriman.  He can outrun single coverage and he can catch the ball.  You need a guy like that on your team and I think, if he stays healthy, he's every bit as good as Anderson.  I'd love to see him back next season running with Mims, Crowder and whatever FA we bring in.  It makes for a diverse, talented WR group that would let us focus on other positions of greater need in the draft.

I'd be fine waving goodbye to Ficken for good and just running with Castillo the rest of the year.  Two missed XPs?  No.

Finally.  To the announcers.  Denzel Mims, Breshad Perriman, Denzel Perryman.  I know it can be confusing but you guys mangled those names so many times I though you were pulling a Roger Goodell draft night routine.

Do Gumble and Gannon drink on the air too?😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10+ years of rebuilding, or whatever it’s been, and basically the same: we have a promising DL that should be a bit better than they are, no QB, skill players that give us just enough for us to romanticize into competence, and terrible coaching.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BleedinGreenNC said:

I say we give Sam one more year, trade out of the high pick and load up with talent that he hasnt had around him.

If Sam comes back and lights it up and shows more ability to find open receivers and get rid of the ball...

and we missed the first pick...

then I wouldn't be opposed to considering that.  Taking a monster haul for the 2 or 3 pick (I think someone will overpay for Sewell (CIN, can you hear me?).  Moving from 3 to 6 for a haul like we paid IND wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Dream scenario #1.  Get first pick.  Draft TL.

Dream scenario #2.  Get second pick.  Trade down to 3.  Get this year's 2nd and next year's 1st.  Trade down again to 4-6.  Get this year's 2nd and next year's 1st and 3rd.  Now we have two 1sts, three 2nds and two 3rds this year.  Four 1sts, 1 2nd and Two 3rds next year.  14 picks in the 1st 3 rounds of the next two drafts combined.  

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Darnold also misssed Robbie on a fair amount of deep throws.  Again, seeing how darnold looks with these wrs and possibly even herndon masquerading as a TE, this will tell a lot.  There’s a fair amount of personnnel guys around the league who think darnold has been given crap and that’s true.  And if he still looks like crap with these guys while Flacco is throwing long tds that will really say more about darnold than anything he’s done so far.  

Robby never was a consistent route runner, never consistently gave his all.  Never was sure who was at fault with those misses.  

Not only are there a fair amount of personnel guys who think Darnold has been given garbage to work with, plus being under duress all too often, they also think that Darnold still has the tools and talent to be a good QB.  But until we see him with tools to work with we wont know for sure.  But anyone who thinks working with the shlt hes had at WR has nothing to do with his struggles has no real clue about QB play and just needs to be ignored

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...