Game Observations (LAC)

KRL

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Robby never was a consistent route runner, never consistently gave his all.  Never was sure who was at fault with those misses.  

Not only are there a fair amount of personnel guys who think Darnold has been given garbage to work with, plus being under duress all too often, they also think that Darnold still has the tools and talent to be a good QB.  But until we see him with tools to work with we wont know for sure.  But anyone who thinks working with the shlt hes had at WR has nothing to do with his struggles has no real clue about QB play and just needs to be ignored

If that is what you think about Anderson, please provide your review of Perriman

1 hour ago, KRL said:

- With the fight I'm seeing from the players and Sam Darnold coming back I'm concerned
that this team may win some games going forward

Who are they beating?  

Remaining games. 

Dolphins

Seahawks

Browns

Raiders

Rams 

Patriots 

They failed to beat a 2-7 Chargers team yesterday. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

If that is what you think about Anderson, please provide your review of Perriman

I'll give you mine. The big plus factor for Robby is for a bean pole he doesn't get injured.  Perriman seems to be made of glass.  But as to on field talent, they are comparable on deep balls and I give a slight edge to Perriman on fighting for contested balls.  I'm not smart enough to know how well each has command and precision of their route trees.  If the difference in salary allows JD to upgrade the roster elsewhere, and Perriman can stay on the field, I think he did ok with making the swap.

• Upvote 3

I really can't believe people are still worried about the Jets winning games. They're horrible and lost easily to a 2-7 Chargers team.

Rams, Raiders and Seahawks will annihilate the Jets. The Browns are going to run all over them. The Pats stink but should still win. You think they're gonna be the Dolphins? Good luck with that.

Yeah the rookie class looks full of contributors.

Mims is showing great strong hand catching.  He looks slower than I thought he would, he's not getting separation on his go routes and I attribute this to 3 things.

- When he goes vertical, DB's break out into an all out sprint knowing he isn't doing a double move or setting them up for a cut because he's not developed enough as a route runner

-He's coming back from 2 bad hammies

-And this is the most glaring - the guy literally slows down on his routes to initiate contact with DB's so that he can control their body position and subtly push off or manipulate them when the ball arrives.  I've never seen a wideout do this as much.  It's incredible to me.  I don't know if this is a good thing.  I think mostly it is and a very good innate skill to have however it shouldn't be employed EVERY SINGLE ROUTE but rather selectively when needed.  Sometimes he had a step on a Go and should have just turned on the afterburners.

------

Can someone please tell me if they watched Zuniga yesterday?  I didn't notice him but I think Bart Scott mentioned in the post game that he contributed?  Anybody see how he did?

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, KRL said:

Interesting dynamics going on in the last two games.  Two close losses
(good) and within the contests young players are flashing (better).  On
top of that I've been impressed with the fight I'm seeing.  There's been
no "loafing" and players seem dialed in looking to win the game.  Are
these indications that a young roster hasn't been tainted by 0-10 and
are developing or is it a "dead cat bounce", we'll see:

- Mekhi Becton throws a shutout against Bosa & Ingram as he locks down the
left side.  LAC actually flipped Bosa to the right side to get him away
from Becton.  He had a crazy double block on LaMical Perine's TD run,
Becton "hand checked" Bosa out of the way then got to the second level and
took out the LB.  Stud

- Impressive leap forward for Bryce Hall in his second game.  No longer
tentative he competed hard and produced 7 Tkls, a TFL and nice awareness/
coverage on deep routes.  He got chewed up by Allen just like everyone
else but the tools are there.  In my book he's surpassed Bless Austin in
just two games 

- Continued growth by Ashtyn Davis as he finished with 12 Tkls, a TFL and
a Fumble Recovery.  He's light on strength and his blitz timing needs
work but I can see him filling the "hybrid" role in the future

- Denzel Mims had his best game (3 recs / 71 yds) so far with multiple
high point acrobatic catches.  He also drew multiple pass interference
penalties and showed excellent strength in not getting knocked off his
routes and fighting for catches

- I said it before I'll have no problem if Joe Douglas brings back Breshad
Perriman on another one year deal.  Excellent deep speed and ball tracking
again (2 recs / 54 yds / TD), having him as a #4 WR next year would provide
terrific depth and versatility

- Of course Chris Herndon had to drop another easy ball.  But then he infuriates
you by making two acrobatic catches (2 recs / 32 yds / TD) as he stretched the
field similar to 2018.  Question Herndon, which player are you exactly???

- So Sam Ficken you come back to take over for Sergio Castillo and miss 2 XP?
Really???  Castillo hang around Florham Park, you'll definitely be invited back
for camp next year

- LaMical Perine you have to stay on the field.  A decent start (8 rush / 33 yds /
TD) gets cut short by an injury

- With Steve McLendon leaving Foley Fatukasi has grown as a NT.  Good game (6 Tkls,
1.5 TFL) as he led an excellent rush defense (26 rush / 29 yds) that clamped down
LAC

- Quinnen Williams makes a nice return from his injury (3 Tkls, Sack, TFL, 2 QB Hits)

Other Stuff

- I'm surprised at Justin Herbert's performance so far.  Is he this good or is he a 
product of throwing to big time WR's like Allen, Williams and Henry?  Or a combination
of both, we'll see

- With the fight I'm seeing from the players and Sam Darnold coming back I'm concerned

Hate to poor out the obvious but the team isn't playing hard for him, especially with our roster contracts the way they are. These guys are putting in on tape to try to play next year. Remember these dudes are back up every where else. Good tape with land them a role with a team some where. They don't all have garunteed money and certainly most will be screwed but the idea that they are playing hard for thier terrible coach is laughable .

I'm all for a change.... in coaching

• WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, KRL said:

took out the LB.  Stud

just two games 

- Of course Chris Herndon had to drop another easy ball.  But then he infuriates

for camp next year

- LaMical Perine you have to stay on the field.  A decent start (8 rush / 33 yds /

- With Steve McLendon leaving Foley Fatukasi has grown as a NT.  Good game (6 Tkls,
1.5 TFL) as he led an excellent rush defense (26 rush / 29 yds) that clamped down
LAC

- Quinnen Williams makes a nice return from his injury (3 Tkls, Sack, TFL, 2 QB Hits)

Other Stuff

- I'm surprised at Justin Herbert's performance so far.  Is he this good or is he a 
product of throwing to big time WR's like Allen, Williams and Henry?  Or a combination
of both, we'll see

I'm angry with you because it was my intent to do the very same thing but you beat me to it.....

There's no doubt my only enjoyment in watching Jets games is seeing how the rookies develop? It's fun watching them grow. 

Is it possible that DENZEL MIMS passes Becton in terms of most impressive rookie? Not that it really matters but when I look at Mims I can't stop gushing about his HANDS. He quite possibly has hands like Jerricho Cotchery. Cotch had much better hands than those two freaking divas the Jets had in 2010. That's what I'm thinking about Mims. He's truly awesome to watch. 

Just putting it out there... I'm not very impressed with Lamichael Perine. He's an OK player,  but knowing Gore will likely retire, makes me think Joe Douglas should have RB high on his list of priorities. 

Loved Bryce Hall's and Lamar Jackson's game. Telling the truth they got torched, but I loved how they competed and I look forward to what they could grow into.

If you didn't already think Gase should be fired, just look at yesterday's play calls. It's inexcusable to let Dowell Logains go half a game without utilizing the Jets top WR's. 

Braden Mann can boot the bloody piss out of the ball on kickoffs. He's a keeper. It seems so silly to be discussing a kicker or punter that can consistently kick the ball for a touchback, but here we are. When the rules changed on kickoffs finding a touchback guy should have been priority one. But since Westhoff retired we've had complete boobs coaching our ST.

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

If Sam comes back and lights it up and shows more ability to find open receivers and get rid of the ball...

and we missed the first pick...

then I wouldn't be opposed to considering that.  Taking a monster haul for the 2 or 3 pick (I think someone will overpay for Sewell (CIN, can you hear me?).  Moving from 3 to 6 for a haul like we paid IND wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Dream scenario #1.  Get first pick.  Draft TL.

Dream scenario #2.  Get second pick.  Trade down to 3.  Get this year's 2nd and next year's 1st.  Trade down again to 4-6.  Get this year's 2nd and next year's 1st and 3rd.  Now we have two 1sts, three 2nds and two 3rds this year.  Four 1sts, 1 2nd and Two 3rds next year.  14 picks in the 1st 3 rounds of the next two drafts combined.  

If they get the second pick they are building around Fields.

Darnold's durability alone is a concern, has never had a full season. Kid needs to bulk up.

• Upvote 1

In addition to finishing with a bad enough record to ensure we get a QB in this draft, it is very encouraging to see what JD has done with the rookies and their playing time in particular.  

This isnt a situation where a younger guy gets a week 17 start.  Hall, Lamar Jackson, and Ashtyn Davis will hopefully all get 6+ games to play together and get much needed reps for next season.  Add into that Huff and Zuniga playing more as the season comes to a close and we will have a lot of young guys shortening their learning curve into 2021.

Becton and Mims both look like outstanding picks and will obviously have huge roles in 2021.  As for the rest of the offense, I do hope we can get Clark onto the field for at least a couple games, even if its at RT, because Edoga is really not showing anything in the snaps hes received.  Id also like to see Wesco get extended playing time at some point. I have no idea what is with Herndon, but Wesco is a good blocker and decent athlete, would like to see him play as a traditional TE instead of a glorified FB.

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, KRL said:

Other Stuff

of both, we'll see

He's this good.  Yes, Allen is a monster.   But Mike Williams is not a special WR.  Hunter Henry is a good but not great TE.  Meanwhile, Rivers was throwing to the same WR's and only had two 300+ yard games last season.  Herbert has 5 already.  Rivers also hadn't had a 4-TD game since early 2016.  Herbert already has a 4-TD game under his belt.  

We need to stop holding it against young QB's that they have WR's to throw to.  It's what teams are supposed to be doing.  That doesn't make it the only or even a top reason for a young QB's success.  Good QB's play well, and WR's come along for that ride.

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, KRL said:

took out the LB.  Stud

just two games 

for camp next year

LAC

Other Stuff

of both, we'll see

As far as I’m concerned, it didn’t happen unless KRL said it happened....you are a beacon of sanity in a sea of nonsense! Thank you as always for this, it’s the only post I look for after a game.

2 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Dolphins and Patriots only games I would say. But still slim chance at that. 

Browns and Raiders are also possible. Raiders always struggle coming East and the Browns can look like world beaters or bozos depending on which baker Mayfield shows up. Browns like to run which is the one thing the Jets D sometimes are good at defending. Put the game in Mayfield's hands and its a 50/50. 

5 hours ago, Jolot said:

Agreed , KRL is right . We’re going to win one of the last 6. Most likely not 2. But I don’t see us going winless . We need Jacksonville to get another one . 

If JAX doesn’t get another win and we both finish 1-15, wouldn’t we still have the first pick due to the greater strength of schedule?

5 hours ago, slats said:

That is troubling. 

We can win up to 2 games and be assured of no worse then the number 2 pick(with games against Seattle, Rams, NE, Fins, Raiders, and Browns, even 2 wins will be extremely difficult). If that occurs then maybe Fields is the guy at QB. If we cannot win at all or win 1 and Jax gets 1 win we still get the number 1 pick and hopefully Lawrence.

5 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

In the nfl if you have fast wrs and a qb who can throw at least a decent deep ball you have a chance. And that’s what we’re seeing now with Flacco, mims and perriman.  The big question is, how would darnold do with this group?  I doubt his deep ball is comparable to flacccos.  And I’m assuming Trevor is watching these jet games thinking, ‘this offense isn’t terrible, it’s just that darnold couldn’t do it’.

I felt like when Flacco let it rip, we had a chance on the long throws. With Sam, it just seems more than likely he’ll be off-target. 

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Jetluv58 said:

I felt like when Flacco let it rip, we had a chance on the long throws. With Sam, it just seems more than likely he’ll be off-target. 

Flacco's always had a good long ball. I'm still struggling to find anything that Darnold does well. Can't stay healthy, can't read a defense(processes what he sees slowly), turns the ball over a ton. He is pretty mobile.

If the Jets wanna attempt to win a game you play Flacco - starting Darnold guarantees 0-16.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, David Harris said:

Yeah the rookie class looks full of contributors.

Mims is showing great strong hand catching.  He looks slower than I thought he would, he's not getting separation on his go routes and I attribute this to 3 things.

- When he goes vertical, DB's break out into an all out sprint knowing he isn't doing a double move or setting them up for a cut because he's not developed enough as a route runner

-He's coming back from 2 bad hammies

-And this is the most glaring - the guy literally slows down on his routes to initiate contact with DB's so that he can control their body position and subtly push off or manipulate them when the ball arrives.  I've never seen a wideout do this as much.  It's incredible to me.  I don't know if this is a good thing.  I think mostly it is and a very good innate skill to have however it shouldn't be employed EVERY SINGLE ROUTE but rather selectively when needed.  Sometimes he had a step on a Go and should have just turned on the afterburners.

------

Can someone please tell me if they watched Zuniga yesterday?  I didn't notice him but I think Bart Scott mentioned in the post game that he contributed?  Anybody see how he did?

Good post and interesting point about Mims initiating contact....he’s a young player and coming out of Baylor, rawness, particularly in terms of his route running ‘maturity’ was always going to be an issue...it’s exciting that he displays the raw natural skills and the ‘unteachables’ 

hopefully he can learn to become a more savvy route runner and develops that aspect of his game

6 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

If Sam starts winning with actual healthy talent around him what is there to be concerned about?  He is your QB going forward and you grab him another stud WR at the top of the draft to help him even more.

In case you haven't noticed, Todd Bowles has been fired. You really need an avatar update . . . and then you can update it again a couple of years after Adam Gase has been fired, and then I'll point it out again.  I just thought someone should tell you.  I was taught that friends don't let friends walk around with their fly open. 

Other than that, good post. 

Thanks KRL.  Another excellent post.

I am sure KRL could easily have picked guys apart.  But in a season of misery, it's important to find the positives that can be carried into next year.

I hear repeatedly from the Tank for Trevor crew that he is a generational talent.  I am concerned that these are the same guys who urged Suck for Sam.  If he is a generational talent, then you take him and trade Sam.  If he is just another top qb coming out of college, then it might be better to trade the pick and cement the roster.

Is JD the guy?  We sure better hope so.  'Cause he's the guy who has to make these decisions.  

• Sympathy 1