Jump to content
AFJF

Has the league figured out Lamar Jackson?

Recommended Posts

The dude is night and day from last season in terms of production.  Did the NFL catch up or was last season just a fluke?

I'm hearing a lot of criticism of the play calling in Baltimore but I thought the thing that made LJ special was his ability to move the chains with his legs when plays broke down or just weren't there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once a running QB decides he his throwing Qb he fails.  Balt has also had a poor complimentary run game this year other than the QB.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, AFJF said:

The dude is night and day from last season in terms of production.  Did the NFL catch up or was last season just a fluke?

I'm hearing a lot of criticism of the play calling in Baltimore but I thought the thing that made LJ special was his ability to move the chains with his legs when plays broke down or just weren't there.

Yes, Vrabel wrote the playbook for that in last years playoffs.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Lamar Jackson (playoffs). 

0-2 record (Chargers/Titans). 

45/88 (51.1%), 

559 passing yards. 

3 TD's/3 INT's.

Sacked 11 times. 

Postseason QB Rating of 68.3 (embarrassing). 

Once a running QB is forced to pass as a Quarterback; they'll never dominate (for long). 

Pure pocket passing QBs like Montana/Brady/Manning/Brees etc will always be the King DNA of the QB position (they'll never be replaced) and QBs like Rodgers/Mahomes/Wilson who are mobile but only look to run when forced to are super deadly but the likes of Vick/RG3/Jackson will never last for long in terms of being considered good QBs. 

If I wanted a RB? I'd just draft one. 

This!!!  When staffs had the time to lock in on Jackson they've destroyed him

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Lamar Jackson (playoffs). 

0-2 record (Chargers/Titans). 

45/88 (51.1%), 

559 passing yards. 

3 TD's/3 INT's.

Sacked 11 times. 

Postseason QB Rating of 68.3 (embarrassing). 

Once a running QB is forced to pass as a Quarterback; they'll never dominate (for long). 

Pure pocket passing QBs like Montana/Brady/Manning/Brees etc will always be the King DNA of the QB position (they'll never be replaced) and QBs like Rodgers/Mahomes/Wilson who are mobile but only look to run when forced to are super deadly but the likes of Vick/RG3/Jackson will never last for long in terms of being considered good QBs. 

If I wanted a RB? I'd just draft one. 

Good post

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, jgb said:

Lamar still on pace for a top 3 Jets QB season all time. Wish we had an elite QB that got "figured out."

True but Baltimore fans aren’t really excited anymore either. Cuz LJ got figured out impressively quick and it may not get any better any time soon. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jet2020 said:

True but Baltimore fans aren’t really excited anymore either. Cuz LJ got figured out impressively quick and it may not get any better any time soon. 

Baltimore fans justifiably have much higher standards and expectations than us.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KRL said:

This!!!  When staffs had the time to lock in on Jackson they've destroyed him

Even last year during his MVP season Pittsburgh's Defense destroyed him Jackson went 19/28 (67.8%), 161 passing yards, 1 TD/3 INTs, 3 sacks and a QB Rating of only 54.9. 

Ravens won the game by 3 but Jackson deserved to lose that one and was fortunate Roethlisberger was hurt and missed the game. 

He's an A+ athletic talent and his athleticism is freakishly insane but he just runs too much and the pounding he takes is something I've never seen a QB take before.

With already over 400+ rushing attempts in only 2.5 years of play I believe he's going to break down sooner rather than later and become a career backup by the time he's 27 (currently 24) because I don't see his style of play lasting in the NFL. 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look at guys like Bart Scott. Dumb as a box of rocks. But can read an offense and a defense like a savant. He is nothing compared to the nolifers in the league. Lamar Louisville Jackson was going to be figured out sooner than later. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, jgb said:

Lamar still on pace for a top 3 Jets QB season all time. Wish we had an elite QB that got "figured out."

His rookie year he only had 6 TD's/3 INTs throughout 7 starts. 

Last year he took the league by storm and surprise and put up 36 TDs/6 INTs. 

But that's not happening anymore. He's quickly fallen back down to earth. 

This year he's only got 15 TDs/6 INTs throughout 10 games. 

If he doesn't adjust his game he's not going to last long in this league. He's averaging only 194 yards passing per game this year and like I've mentioned before if you want a running back, you draft one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

His rookie year he only had 6 TD's/3 INTs throughout 7 starts. 

Last year he took the league by storm and surprise and put up 36 TDs/6 INTs. 

But that's not happening anymore. He's quickly fallen back down to earth. 

This year he's only got 15 TDs/6 INTs throughout 10 games. 

If he doesn't adjust his game he's not going to last long in this league. He's averaging only 194 yards passing per game this year and like I've mentioned before if you want a running back, you draft one. 

Running for a QB is icing, not cake.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jgb said:

Lamar still on pace for a top 3 Jets QB season all time. Wish we had an elite QB that got "figured out."

Think the point was that he was being compared to Lamar Jackson of a year ago, not the Jets. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jet Nut said:

Think the point was that he was being compared to Lamar Jackson of a year ago, not the Jets. 

 

I get it but what does one expect for an MVP? There is nearly always a regression to mean and in Lamar's case, his mean places him as a top QB in our history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Yes, Vrabel wrote the playbook for that in last years playoffs.

And the Chargers before that with Anthony Lynn.  They played safeties instead of linebackers and dared him to throw.  

Crowd the area between the hash marks and make Lamar run laterally.  

Murray will come down to earth too next year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Yes, Vrabel wrote the playbook for that in last years playoffs.

yeah, when he held them to 500+ yds in offense.

its the OL and NFL figures out Roman after a couple years. also their WR group is pretty bleak.

but yeah, LJ is having a poor year so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
the likes of Vick/RG3/Jackson will never last for long in terms of being considered good QBs.


I rise from the grave when Vince Young gets snubbed.
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jgb said:

Baltimore fans justifiably have much higher standards and expectations than us.

What standards and expectaions. I don't have any at all. Santa Claus is never coming to town. It's a hoax.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, The Troll said:

 


I rise from the grave when Vince Young gets snubbed.

 

His Wonderlic score alone was enough to causes a zombie revolt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Vick/RG3/Jackson will never last for long in terms of being considered good QBs. 

Vick peaked 10 years after he was drafted. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, pointman said:

Look at guys like Bart Scott. Dumb as a box of rocks. But can read an offense and a defense like a savant. He is nothing compared to the nolifers in the league. Lamar Louisville Jackson was going to be figured out sooner than later. 

If you know he could read an offense, then you can't say he was dumb. He had football IQ. He was good at his job, what more can you ask for?

 

Lamar hasn't improved on last season. He's relying on the same offensive scheme, against a more difficult schedule. 

He even said it himself; "They keep callin' our plays at the line!!"

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A running QB usually have short lifespans.  Either injuries or adjustments from the league will have a negative impact on their play.  When you have a good team around you it also hides deficiencies too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last year he had a Pro Bowl LT and Hall of Fame RG.

This year he doesn't.  Maybe that has something to do with it.

  • Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it’s pretty funny how Lamar has been taking shots at Greg Roman.

Roman designed that entire offense around Lamar’s strengths.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he completely falls flat on his face after Roman leaves. Hell, I kind of expect it.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wrote in another thread about how he would fall down to bottom tier QB this year. Last year was sensational for him. But QB’s who can’t throw...don’t last.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Last year he had a Pro Bowl LT and Hall of Fame RG.

This year he doesn't.  Maybe that has something to do with it.

Good points. 

Marshal Yanda retired at the age of 36 following last years run (unreplaceable). 

Ronnie Stanley suffered a season ending injury @ LT and he's missed their last 3 games (1-2); what's crazy is that immediately after becoming the highest paid offensive lineman in NFL history (signs contact on October 30th) he then suffered an ACL injury on November 1st against Pittsburgh (2 days after signing contract). How does that even happen? How do you play 4-5 years without an injury and then blow out your ACL 1-2 days after signing a monster contract? Loss of mental focus and bad mechanics because your mind is elsewhere?

Also don't forget about Tyre Phillips their 3rd round rookie RG who was injured during Pittsburgh's game and has now missed their last 3 games. 

You made a good point because they've been playing musical chairs throughout their past 3 games with Orlando Brown Jr. switching from right tackle to left tackle following Stanley's injury, veteran D.J. Fluker having to step in at right tackle and Patrick Mekari then becomes the right guard after rookie Phillips went down (replacing Yanda from 2019). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, AFJF said:

The dude is night and day from last season in terms of production.  Did the NFL catch up or was last season just a fluke?

I'm hearing a lot of criticism of the play calling in Baltimore but I thought the thing that made LJ special was his ability to move the chains with his legs when plays broke down or just weren't there.

The NFL caught up to him. Most teams have a pretty good blueprint for defending him now. I knew it would happen and said as much last season. Well, here we are. He's still a nice talent overall but the days of those gaudy numbers are over with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You see there is this thing called tape that shows what you are doing, how you are lining up and how the play runs. Defense's given time are going to figure out a way to defense it. They have figured it out. Now it is up to the Ravens to adjust, maybe throw in some motion run things out of different formations. They have done none of that so far.

And Jackson has to be better with his throws as well.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jgb said:

I get it but what does one expect for an MVP? There is nearly always a regression to mean and in Lamar's case, his mean places him as a top QB in our history.

Hes a bottom or middle of the pack on the starting QB ladder, not just a little off of his MVP spot.  

This season hes not at the top of anything.  His numbers across the board are down and his passing deficiencies are becoming more of an issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At some point a QB needs to prove he can beat you from the pocket, Lamar is going to struggle with that.  You take the good with the bad with Lamar and hope he can make enough throws to keep defenses honest.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO, I believe defenses have begun to do their homework on Lamar Jackson. I've watched two games that they lost and it was to two playoff teams and they had the MLB to trail him from sideline to sideline. Of course the defensive backs take the outside away from him. 

It also seems like the head coach and offensive coordinator haven't made the right adjustments to counter this problem. I also believe certain players need to step and take the pressure off of Jackson. The RBs need to step up and the WRs the one's that need to step up besides the coaching.

If no adjustments are made, the Ravens will be an early exit around playoff time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Hes a bottom or middle of the pack on the starting QB ladder, not just a little off of his MVP spot.  

This season hes not at the top of anything.  His numbers across the board are down and his passing deficiencies are becoming more of an issue.

Again when you finish the year before at the top of the mountain, your numbers are going to come down

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...