Has the league figured out Lamar Jackson?

AFJF

10 hours ago, AFJF said:

The dude is night and day from last season in terms of production.  Did the NFL catch up or was last season just a fluke?

I'm hearing a lot of criticism of the play calling in Baltimore but I thought the thing that made LJ special was his ability to move the chains with his legs when plays broke down or just weren't there.

Yeah, during the playoffs. I believe it was the Titans. Lamar is a good QB still just not invincible. As someone else mentioned when a running QB tries to be a pocket QB... Of course maybe it's just a growing pain as he evolves into a better pocket QB than he currently is.

10 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Lamar Jackson (playoffs). 

0-2 record (Chargers/Titans). 

45/88 (51.1%), 

559 passing yards. 

3 TD's/3 INT's.

Sacked 11 times. 

Postseason QB Rating of 68.3 (embarrassing). 

Once a running QB is forced to pass as a Quarterback; they'll never dominate (for long). 

Pure pocket passing QBs like Montana/Brady/Manning/Brees etc will always be the King DNA of the QB position (they'll never be replaced) and QBs like Rodgers/Mahomes/Wilson who are mobile but only look to run when forced to are super deadly but the likes of Vick/RG3/Jackson will never last for long in terms of being considered good QBs. 

If I wanted a RB? I'd just draft one. 

Yep. I’m willing to bet the coaches are also trying to get him to stay home more and throw passes because they know a couple of hits will take him out.  And,  now that more than a couple of teams are trying to adopt this style, the defenses will get wise to it a lot faster.

9 minutes ago, jgb said:

Again when you finish the year before at the top of the mountain, your numbers are going to come down

I agree but again, this is more than what I would imagine people expected.  Hes struggled in games is more of an issue this season.  I think every single category is down from a year ago, right?  

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I agree but again, this is more than what I would imagine people expected.  Hes struggled in games is more of an issue this season.  I think every single category is down from a year ago, right?  

Yes all are down. Compare any QB to his best season and it looks like a regression. Don't punish Lamar because his best happen to be MVP.

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yes all are down. Compare any QB to his best season and it looks like a regression. Don't punish Lamar because his best happen to be MVP.

Again, I agree.  He was bound to go down if you compare this season to his MVP season.  But we're talking production.  Because he won an MVP a year ago it doesnt change the fact that he seems to have been figured out and his production isnt the same across the board.  Its not a case of he was the MVP last year and this year while still top of the heap was was bound to come back a notch.  Its also not like he had a great passing season, he wasnt Manning, Brady, Rodgers like. 

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Again, I agree.  He was bound to go down if you compare this season to his MVP season.  But we're talking production.  Because he won an MVP a year ago it doesnt change the fact that he seems to have been figured out and his production isnt the same across the board.  Its not a case of he was the MVP last year and this year while still top of the heap was was bound to come back a notch.  Its also not like he had a great passing season, he wasnt Manning, Brady, Rodgers like. 

We are going in circles lol.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Last year he had a Pro Bowl LT and Hall of Fame RG.

This year he doesn't.  Maybe that has something to do with it.

came here to post the same thing

They found a way to replace Yanda (kind of)

but it all really started to sideways when Ronnie Stanley went down 

Also, he doesn't have any WR1 to speak of, still.  

11 hours ago, jgb said:

Lamar still on pace for a top 3 Jets QB season all time. Wish we had an elite QB that got "figured out."

Lamar Jackson is an elite athlete playing QB not an elite QB. Big difference.

It's amazing how different the guy looks when the OL goes from great to below average. His success was built upon an elite running game. Now that's gone, he is meh. No surprise

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I think it’s pretty funny how Lamar has been taking shots at Greg Roman.

Roman designed that entire offense around Lamar’s strengths.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he completely falls flat on his face after Roman leaves. Hell, I kind of expect it.

I think it's equally as funny/puzzling how many posters here can't wait to be point and laugh at Lamar. 

Greg Roman has a history of having his offenses foiled after a year or so - but that's doesn't suite the narrative people are looking for. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

It's amazing how different the guy looks when the OL goes from great to below average. His success was built upon an elite running game. Now that's gone, he is meh. No surprise

I wouldn't go so far as "meh."

16 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

So your saying he's been Sanchized .

Jackson's QBR in games is:

> 95 - 6 games

90 to 95 - 1 game

70 to 75 - 3 games

< 70  - 1 game

So, he's had 7 good games; 3 mediocre; and 1 bad based on QBR.  Notably, 3 of his last 5 games he has been over 95. Based on this, I am unsure as to what has been "figured out" because, I would presume if the league figured him out, he wouldn't have a QBR over 95 in 3 of his last 5 games.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, pointman said:

Look at guys like Bart Scott. Dumb as a box of rocks. But can read an offense and a defense like a savant. He is nothing compared to the nolifers in the league. Lamar Louisville Jackson was going to be figured out sooner than later. 

This is uncalled for, I have interviewed Bart Scott and spoken to him at length. At no time did I ever think the guy was dumb.

He seems pretty smart to me. Dude knows more about muscle growth and nutrition than 99.99%. He is pretty set investment wise as far as I can see. Calling him dumb is baseless.

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, jgb said:

I wouldn't go so far as "meh."

Fair, The dude is exciting to watch, especially against inferior defenses where the OL can still win, they can run the ball and utilize play action.

But their is enough evidence to support the view that if they are losing at halftime, they are losing the game. The more Lamar has to throw the ball the worse he gets. He's a below average passer.

3 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

Fair, The dude is exciting to watch, especially against inferior defenses where the OL can still win, they can run the ball and utilize play action.

But their is enough evidence to support the view that if they are losing at halftime, they are losing the game. The more Lamar has to throw the ball the worse he gets. He's a below average passer.

He has some growth to do, that's for sure. But I'd bet infinite more on Lamar than Darnold to have a continued growth trajectory (I'd bet $0 on Darnold without obscene odds).

This is uncalled for, I have interviewed Bart Scott and spoken to him at length. At no time did I ever think the guy was dumb.
He seems pretty smart to me. Dude knows more about muscle growth and nutrition than 99.99%. He is pretty set investment wise as far as I can see. Calling him dumb is baseless.

He’s actually quite brilliant.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

Just now, DetroitRed said:

I don't know anything about his background or schooling etc. I was impressed when I met him and spoke to him for an event we were asked to cover years ago. And I know people who work out with him and they said he is very smart.

Just now, jgb said:

He has some growth to do, that's for sure. But I'd bet infinite more on Lamar than Darnold to have a continue growth trajectory (I'd be $0 on Darnold without obscene odds).

If Lamar were drafted by the Jets and Darnold the Ravens, Sam would be perceived as the MVP caliber player and Lamar would be on his second knee surgery.

1 minute ago, y2k8 said:

If Lamar were drafted by the Jets and Darnold the Ravens, Sam would be perceived as the MVP caliber player and Lamar would be on his second knee surgery.

We'll know soon enough when Sam is on another team next year. Although, if/when he still is the same guy, I'm sure there will be an excuse for that, too.

Random: I knew Darnold was done when legit, our entire team lined up last year to get autographs from LJ. SO EMBARRASSING!! And a devastating shot to Darnolds ego...

but to answer the question no, they have Greg one year pony figured out. Lamar will be deadly like Eagles Vick one day when he matures more as a passer. 

and his numbers are better than Darnolds so idk what Jets fans are even saying tbh 

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

1 hour ago, DetroitRed said:

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

I don't know anything about his background or schooling etc. I was impressed when I met him and spoke to him for an event we were asked to cover years ago. And I know people who work out with him and they said he is very smart.

Just from reading his Wikipedia profile page, his background is pretty impressive.  He grew up in Detroit where he went to public school.  His low SAT scores at first threatened his collegiate career, but he worked to up his scores and made it onto campus at Southern Illinois, where he eventually got a degree in Economics.

He returns to his High School every year to speak with students, and made several donations over the years to upgrade the facilities, equipment and uniforms for the school and football program.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, oatmeal said:

Random: I knew Darnold was done when legit, our entire team lined up last year to get autographs from LJ. SO EMBARRASSING!! And a devastating shot to Darnolds ego...

but to answer the question no, they have Greg one year pony figured out. Lamar will be deadly like Eagles Vick one day when he matures more as a passer. 

and his numbers are better than Darnolds so idk what Jets fans are even saying tbh 

that just shows organizational dysfunction by Gase and the Johnsons.  The fact that the jets players even felt like they could do that and it wasn't a big deal and nothing would happen to them is disgusting.

1 hour ago, jgb said:

We'll know soon enough when Sam is on another team next year. Although, if/when he still is the same guy, I'm sure there will be an excuse for that, too.

We ruined Sam so badly we probably can't get anything remotely decent for him.  I wouldn't be shocked if he was still on our roster next year and we were like the Chargers in 2004 with both Drew Brees and Phillip Rivers on the roster

5 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

We ruined Sam so badly we probably can't get anything remotely decent for him.  I wouldn't be shocked if he was still on our roster next year and we were like the Chargers in 2004 with both Drew Brees and Phillip Rivers on the roster

Someone will trade for him. Darnold's most marketable aspect is not anything he's done, it's that Gase has a reputation as a talent devourer. I can't see a reasonably-likely scenario where he's a Jet in 2021. 

• Upvote 1