Change my mind: Sam is the biggest bust in Jets history

jgb

The consensus before was Gholston -- undoubtedly a worse player than Darnold but once you weigh in what we gave up for Darnold, it's really not even close. Misplaced hope in Gholston also never caused us to pass on a FQB -- i.e., Ryan Tannehill like I banged the table for.

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 15
  • WTF? 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, pointman said:

Gholston just needed more time.. and more playmakers around him. He also had a horrible position coach mentoring him. It wasn't his fault. People gave up on him too quickly. See how stupid that sounds? Yet for Sam its considered ok to say. 

lauryn hill yes GIF

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

This seems like the kind of thread idea that pops out at midnight on a Monday.

There’s no doubt the desperate Jets gave up way too much for what they ultimately got in return, but the biggest bust in Jets history?  That’s pretty ridiculous IMO.

It's called change my mind. Who was a bigger bust?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Obrien2Toon said:

Remember when Maccagnan was still a good GM and deserved more time because at least he got us Sam

I admit I was all on board the Sam train. Thought blind squirrel Macc got lucky as Hell. Of course I'm not paid $2 million a year to evaluate talent.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

Not even close. 

Vernon Gholston

Blair Thomas 

Johnny Lam Jones 

Dewayne Robertson 

There are also guys like Johnny Mitchell, Dave Cardigan, Roger Vick, Kyle Brady. 

So many names to choose from. 

Sorry I meant bust QB.  Changed the post but it didn't save it. I am not willing to call Sam the biggest bust in Jets history.  But I know who I pick for QB.

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

This seems like the kind of thread idea that pops out at midnight on a Monday.

There’s no doubt the desperate Jets gave up way too much for what they ultimately got in return, but the biggest bust in Jets history?  That’s pretty ridiculous IMO.

we've never givenup more ina draft for a player. EVER. 

its spot on., but you know, Great White Hope must be burped after feeding and have his arse wiped for him til he's a 25 yr old. 

• Thumb Down 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Sorry I meant bust QB.  Changed the post but it didn't save it. I am not willing to call Sam the biggest bust in Jets history.  But I know who I pick for QB.

IF,and it’s a big if, Sam stays on the trajectory he is on, there is a really solid argument to be made that Sam has done more damage to the franchise than Hackenberg, if capital to acquire is included into the conversation. 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

Not even close. 

Vernon Gholston

Blair Thomas 

Johnny Lam Jones 

Dewayne Robertson 

There are also guys like Johnny Mitchell, Dave Cardigan, Roger Vick, Kyle Brady. 

So many names to choose from. 

all cost us one pick. sam cost us 3 2nd rnders and the #6....

to be the worst rated qb in the NFL since he started. WORST IN THE NFL.

real madrid liverpool GIF by Televisa Deportes

• Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, jgb said:

The consensus before was Gholston -- undoubtedly a worse player than Darnold but once you weigh in what we gave up for Darnold, it's really not even close. Misplaced hope in Gholston also never caused us to pass on a FQB -- i.e., Ryan Tannehill like I banged the table for.

it was mike mccagnans master stroke

tru, levbell, cj mosely, sam, jamal....    

key and peele tea GIF

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, jgb said:

I think the fact that Mike Maccagnan for the most part couldn't draft his way out of a paper bag makes the whole premise of the thread somewhat moot.

It's like saying, "Look at all that weight Al Roker lost! Great job!  I wonder how he did it?" "Gastric bypass." : /

4 hours ago, Losmeister said:

we've never givenup more ina draft for a player. EVER. 

its spot on., but you know, Great White Hope must be burped after feeding and have his arse wiped for him til he's a 25 yr old. 

The Jets gave up 2 first round picks for Lam Jones in the first round. 

Considering the bust rate for QBs in the first round, vs WRs in the first round, I may have to say it is Lam Jones.

So many others though.

EDIT- I noticed others said Lam before I posted.

• Upvote 3

Sam is not a bust. He just ran out of time. Hard to pay him 25-30 mil a year when 2 top QB prospects are staring right at our faces. We can grab one and still have plenty of other picks and cap space to build around them. Bust? No. Bad timing!! Resetting at the position makes too much sense for us given our draft position. 

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

7 hours ago, jgb said:

Sam isn't totally useless like Gholston. He had some good games. He went 6-2 at the end last season granted he beat bad teams. And by far, the biggest bust was Lam Jones. With Sam, we didn't pass on two future HOF candidates. I don't think Allen or Jackson will be HOF QB's. With Jones who was selected #2, we passed on Art Monk and Anthony Munoz. That is way worse than Sam and when you factor in that we couldn't even trade Jones. I think he played 4 or 5 season and we cut him and nobody even wanted to claim him. You want to talk bad, that is bad.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

WRONG!

A number 6 overall on a pass rusher who never got a sack was far worse. 

That said, I think Vernon Gholston's breakout game is right around the corner.

I predict he will have four sacks, two forced fumbles and a TD this week. Mark it down!

howis one #6 wporsethan the worst qb in the nfl for 3 yrsfor a #6 ANNND 3 2nd rnders???

• Sympathy 4