Change my mind: Sam is the biggest bust in Jets history

jgb

6 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I wouldn't call Brady a bust, it's just that every Jet fan was screaming for Sapp.  He was what he was, a big run blocking tight end, but he did play for 12 ish years.

Marcus Maye is ironically probably the best 2nd rounder in a decade, again, it just most of us wanted Dalvin Cook.

Maybe Sam wouldn't have struggled as much if he had a Dalvin Cook type to throw to.

Yes. A dual threat Dalvin Cook would've helped Sam Darnold tremendously. 

And I absolutely hated Kyle Brady as a kid he only played for 4 years with us and was an absolute bust and as a kid only 10 years old @ PS100 (1995) I didn't know how to scout college players just yet but by taking Brady now looking back not only did we pass on Warren Sapp but also passed on the likes of Ty Law and Derrick Brooks; disheartening. 

10 hours ago, jgb said:

The consensus before was Gholston -- undoubtedly a worse player than Darnold but once you weigh in what we gave up for Darnold, it's really not even close. Misplaced hope in Gholston also never caused us to pass on a FQB -- i.e., Ryan Tannehill like I banged the table for.

There is the GASE factor.  Sam will move on and have a chance to "be all he can be" under a competent coaching staff. 

If you put Sam in a modern day version of the 1980's Redskins offense, he'll be a world beater.   

2 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

There is the GASE factor.  Sam will move on and have a chance to "be all he can be" under a competent coaching staff. 

If you put Sam in a modern day version of the 1980's Redskins offense, he'll be a world beater.   

If only Hogan and Berrios had a good QB, they would be considered a lot more than Jags. Lol.

• WTF? 1

2 hours ago, jgb said:

What did we trade up to take Sanchez and how many playoff games did Sanchez win? It's not even close. Sanchez is not only better as a player than Darnold, but once you consider what we gave up, Darnold is infinitely a bigger bust.

Statistically Sam is better better that Sanchez (with a far inferior team).

The Jets went to consecutive AFCCGs DESPITE Sanchez, not because of him.

The Jets traded up to get both QBs.  The Jets signed Sanchez to a second contract!

If any one player is responsible for the last decade, it's Mark Sanchez.  It set this whole disaster in motion.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Year we traded up fir Donald ? Who the hell is instant  HOFer we could have drafted 

quenton nelson notre dame 

everyone in the world knew this guy was an instant gold jacket 

cleanest guard prospect since John Hannah 

the Colts took him with the same 6 pick the Jets used 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

11 hours ago, jgb said:

The consensus before was Gholston -- undoubtedly a worse player than Darnold but once you weigh in what we gave up for Darnold, it's really not even close. Misplaced hope in Gholston also never caused us to pass on a FQB -- i.e., Ryan Tannehill like I banged the table for.

Hackenberg.

Darnold is a disaster, as far as investment goes, but at least he's sort of able to play football.

In the history of the NFL, how many 2nd round picks have never taken a snap, when injury or other had nothing to do with it.

Add to that, Hackenberg was at least in part, the reason for Adams over Watson/Mahommes, and I think the argument is compelling as biggest bust in Jets history.

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Unpopular opinion - Sam Darnold is the player we saw the second half of last year. His 13 TD/4 INT production from those 8 games can be replicated over full seasons on a team with good players and coaches (extrapolated to 26 TD/8 INT). We saw it in the final quarter of his rookie season as well. 

As long as he continues to play 5 of the 6 worst defenses over 8 game spans.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Imagine him next to Becton?  Just, run to the left side whenever you want 7 yards.   Like, any running back in the league, just run left.

The QB would literally never, ever worry about his blind side protection.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, bitonti said:

What the hell is the point?  We needed a QB and you never know when you'll have a chance to draft one so QB was the pick.  Not a G, no matter how good.  Its a G not a QB.  How many times can you repeat this?

4 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I can't believe he's out of the league already. 

He'll be out of the league by the time he's 28 years old.  No later than 2025.

He's headed for the Mark Sanchez route.  Given several chances in the league but not capable of even being a QB2 in the NFL (backups need to be consistent, not turnover prone improvisors).  

• Upvote 2

What would you call a guy that was drafted number five overall and with the best offensive line in football, the best running game, one of the best defenses to keep him from playing from behind and forcing him into predictable game plans, Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards, Jerricho Cotchery, Dustin Keller and good pass catching backs and produced:

55 completion percentage, 60 tds to 69 interceptions

Are we ******* kidding with this thread?

This thread should come with it's own home attendant and drool bib

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He'll be out of the league by the time he's 28 years old.  No later than 2025.

He's headed for the Mark Sanchez route.  Given several chances in the league but not capable of even being a QB2 in the NFL (backups need to be consistent, not turnover prone improvisors).  

Do not put them in the same sentence. Not yet. 

I wouldn't place Darnold as the franchise's biggest bust, because there are just far too many contenders. 

I also wouldn't put Gholston in that spot, because EDGE rusher was a big need, Gholston had some athleticism, and that draft class was pretty barren once you got out of the top 5.  Monster bust, yes, but not in my top 5 of biggest Jet draft busts.

Considering Anthony Munoz (# 3) and Art Monk (# 18) were taken behind him, Lam Jones would probably be my # 1 Jets bust.  

Blair Thomas (# 2) in the same class as Junior Seau (# 5), Emmitt Smith (# 17), Cortez Kennedy (# 3) and Richmond Webb (# 9) is the other big contender for the # 1 slot.  

The worst PICK in Jets history is Christian Hackenberg.  Especially since we passed on the QB's in the next class because of his presence.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

What would you call a guy that was drafted number five overall and with the best offensive line in football, the best running game, one of the best defenses to keep him from playing from behind and forcing him into predictable game plans, Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards, Jerricho Cotchery, Dustin Keller and good pass catching backs and produced:

55 completion percentage, 60 tds to 69 interceptions

Are we ******* kidding with this thread?

This thread should come with it's own home attendant and drool bib

And yet Darnold is just as bad as Sanchez.  So what's your point?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

And yet Darnold is just as bad as Sanchez.  So what's your point?

He's not, his stats are better and the situation he was put in is the EXACT opposite. You couldn't GET more opposite. Are you kidding? You're joking no? This is a joke, correct? 

It's like me asking you to post using just the x's, fours, u's and an ampersand

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Sam should NOT be blamed because MAC is a fukkin a$$hole and drafted Hackenberg.

IF we simply had the 3rd pick without giving uo the farm to get it and drafted SAM, he is not our worst BUST.

He is in the top 3-4 with The Ghost as number one without question.  But players like Milner have to be in the conversation.  Sam played... Milner played how many games?  Ghost?

Sam was 6 and 2 to end last season?  Yes he sucks BUT we have seen flashes of good play when he had good players around him.

The only thing I blame Sam for is being awful at football

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

QB's are hard to judge in a vacuum.  I'm not making excuses for Darnold, he is regressing, but who would have flourished with no WR, a poor line, Gase as a HC, and no real running attack?

I could see him leaving, going to a real time, and still having a good career.

You’ll be amazed how our weaponz look competent catching passes from a good QB

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

He would be the number one biggest QB turnaround story in NFL history. Extremely likely. His “flashes” exist only in comparison to his terrible body of work.

• Upvote 1