Change my mind: Sam is the biggest bust in Jets history

jgb

24 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

What the hell is the point?  We needed a QB and you never know when you'll have a chance to draft one so QB was the pick.  Not a G, no matter how good.  Its a G not a QB.  How many times can you repeat this?

is this Mac posting himself? i feel like this was Mac's thinking exactly 

still wrong by the way 

everyone needs an instant all pro guard 

to draft the bust that sets the franchise back a half decade, that's a bigger problem

side note I believe they Had Teddy Bridgewater on the roster that offseason 

1 hour ago, Saul Goodman said:

Unpopular opinion - Sam Darnold is the player we saw the second half of last year. His 13 TD/4 INT production from those 8 games can be replicated over full seasons on a team with good players and coaches (extrapolated to 26 TD/8 INT). We saw it in the final quarter of his rookie season as well. 

Thank you!!

No one was saying Darnold was a Bust when he was doing stuff like this....

Now folks act like this didn't happen...

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, jgb said:

The consensus before was Gholston -- undoubtedly a worse player than Darnold but once you weigh in what we gave up for Darnold, it's really not even close. Misplaced hope in Gholston also never caused us to pass on a FQB -- i.e., Ryan Tannehill like I banged the table for.

Gholston, hands down

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Remember your Dewayne Robertson era.

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

uh why do you think I am this way, a$$hole 

Rutgers is like hey Joker remember that acid bath you took

of course I remember why I have no hope and optimism from now until I die 

Why I'd rather be right and bet money against the Jets than be hopeful and function like a normal fan 

but thanks for the friendly reminder

7 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

He's not, his stats are better and the situation he was put in is the EXACT opposite. You couldn't GET more opposite. Are you kidding? You're joking no? This is a joke, correct? 

It's like me asking you to post using just the x's, fours, u's and an ampersand

Darnold has 34 INTs and 17 fumbles in 32 starts.

Sanchez had 69 INTs and 43 fumbles in 62 starts.

Darnold:  1.6 INTs/fumbles per start.

Sanchez:  1.8 INTs/fumbles per start

Exact opposites.  lmao

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Thank you!!

No one was saying Darnold was a Bust when he was doing stuff like this....

Now folks act like this didn't happen...

Not to worry. JD isn't paying attention to fan forum opinions. Thank god. If he was, he would have traded that overweight bust of a DT. QW.

• Haha 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Exact opposites.  lmao

Some people think "change my mind" = harangue and harass. Methinks there's not a lot of confidence in the opposing opinion. Apologies to the few like @Sperm Edwards who actually posed a counter argument. 

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Exact opposites.  lmao

I wonder what those stats would be if Darnold was given a team of junior high schoolers and Sanchez was given the five best offensive lineman of all time, Randy Moss, Jerry Rice, Barry Sanders and Tony Gonzalez? 

You read better than that, so you must be lying when you quote me calling them exact opposites (which never happened)

3 minutes ago, genot said:

Wide receivers are just as important to a QB's success as a QB is to theirs. That was my point. You couldn't figure that out.

No.  They're not.  How many of Peyton Manning's, Tom Brady's, Aaron Rodgers'. Drew Brees', Russell Wilson's receivers can you name? 

OK, those are all-time greats.  Let's go down a notch or 2.  How many of Eli Manning's, Matthew Stafford's, Carson Palmer's or Andrew Luck's receivers can you name?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I wonder what those stats would be if Darnold was given a team of junior high schoolers and Sanchez was given the five best offensive lineman of all time, Randy Moss, Jerry Rice, Barry Sanders and Tony Gonzalez? 

You read better than that, so you must be lying when you quote me calling them exact opposites (which never happened)

You can't assume good performance. The far more likely scenario is that both the weaponz and Darnold suck until proven otherwise.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Some people think "change my mind" = harangue and harass. Methinks there's not a lot of confidence in the opposing opinion. Apologies to the few like @Sperm Edwards who actually posed a counter argument. 

Yeah, I guess posting actual stats and discussing EVERY single player surrounding the two of them doesn't count for much, huh?

1 minute ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I wonder what those stats would be in a world where WR's make the QB and not in reality where its the other way around?  And yes, Braylon Edwards was totally Jerry Rice, lmao.

Funny how, all of a sudden, we have pro-level WR's with Flacco under center but not when Darnold was under center.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No.  They're not.  How many of Peyton Manning's, Tom Brady's, Aaron Rodgers'. Drew Brees', Russell Wilson's receivers can you name? 

OK, those are all-time greats.  Let's go down a notch or 2.  How many of Eli Manning's, Matthew Stafford's, Carson Palmer's or Andrew Luck's receivers can you name?

FQBs make their own weaponz, not the other way around. Austin Collie would be Braxton Berrios if he didn't play with Peyton Manning.

• Upvote 2

Remember the Texans game. Darnold played just a well as Watson. The difference in that game was Hopkins. Stop it.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I wonder what those stats would be in a world where WR's make the QB and not in reality where its the other way around?  And yes, Braylon Edwards was totally Jerry Rice, lmao.

Funny how, all of a sudden, we have pro-level WR's with Flacco under center but not when Darnold was under center.

Oh this is your pretending I was comparing Braylon Edwards to Jerry Rice. 

This is you pretending to be dumb to exhaust me. I'm not playing. 

If you think the entire team surrounding a player doesn't matter, then I don't know what to tell you.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Gastineau Lives said:

Oh this is your pretending I was comparing Braylon Edwards to Jerry Rice. 

This is you pretending to be dumb to exhaust me. I'm not playing. 

If you think the entire team surrounding a player doesn't matter, then I don't know what to tell you.

It matters, just not as much as you think it does when evaluating a QB.  A QB can still be terrible regardless of who he is throwing to.  Darnold is objectively terrible at football.  He doesn't get a mulligan for any of his 3 awful seasons just because the WR's weren't good.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

They both suck.  Sanchez just sucks slightly worse.  Oh man you win Darnold is secretly good and Sanchez's exact opposite.

And now this is me responding to you when in fact I was responding to the OP and the ORIGINAL PREMISE of the thread and you injecting yourself sideways into the original point until it gets obliterated just so you can kick a QB we drafted while he's down because he disappointed you.

• Upvote 1

I still think this team set this kid up to fail.  Pretty much no oline or weapons since he had been here.  Now that doesn’t mean Sam hasn’t made mistakes.  He has made plenty of mental errors I freely admit that. But he has also shown flashes of his talent if he gets semi protected.  Either way I think he needs a change of scenery at this point and yes I think there is a great chance he will thrive somewhere else because the kid is talented he just needs a better situation.  We can’t make the same mistake with TL/Fields that we did with Sam.  We need to keep building support around them 

Just now, Gastineau Lives said:

And now this is me responding to you when in fact I was responding to the OP and the ORIGINAL PREMISE of the thread and you injecting yourself sideways into the original point until it gets obliterated.

Doesn't make my point any less relevant regardless of who you were talking to.  Just because Darnold might not be the biggest bust in franchise history, and not as big of a bust as Sanchez, doesn't make him Sanchez's "exact opposite", which is an absurd take.

3 minutes ago, genot said:

Remember the Texans game. Darnold played just a well as Watson. The difference in that game was Hopkins. Stop it.

No, he didn't.  

And meanwhile all Darnoldbros can do is cherry pick and call his failures "outliers".  You never, ever look at the big picture.  Nearly every QB in league history, regardless of how bad, could put together a handful of nice games in his career.  When you sh*t your pants in the rest of them, it doesn't matter a whole lot.

Doesn't make my point any less relevant regardless of who you were talking to.  Just because Darnold might not be the biggest bust in franchise history, and not as big of a bust as Sanchez, doesn't make him Sanchez's "exact opposite", which is an absurd take.

I didn't call him the exact opposite. Quote me where I did. I'll wait here.

2 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I didn't call him the exact opposite. Quote me where I did. I'll wait here.

21 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

He's not, his stats are better and the situation he was put in is the EXACT opposite. You couldn't GET more opposite. Are you kidding? You're joking no? This is a joke, correct? 

It's like me asking you to post using just the x's, fours, u's and an ampersand

So the "his stats are better" and "you couldn't get more opposite" were only you talking about the situation they were put in?  OK.  

10 minutes ago, genot said:

Thank you for bringing up Watson. He's trending to the highest completion percentage, most yards, most TD's and least INT's of his career... without Hopkins. FQBs make their own weaponz, not the other way around.

4 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Oh yes let's take the most extreme example possible to prove something very specific wrong when you don't have actual facts on your side. 

You don't accept the more subtle examples so I'm drawing it in crayon for you.

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Year we traded up fir Donald ? Who the hell is instant  HOFer we could have drafted 

Quenton Nelson.  He was a 1st-team All-Pro each of his first 2 seasons in the league, and will likely get there again this year.  Absolutely on a HOF track already.

Amazingly, the Colts arguably got the 2 best players in that entire draft at  # 6 and at # 36:  Nelson and Darius Leonard.  When all is said and done they will have longer and more successful careers than Saquon Barkley.  Leonard is a rich man's Jamal Adams (7 career INTs, 13 sacks, 7 FFs) who has already been to a Pro Bowl (2019) and been named a 1st-Team All-Pro (2018).

Minkah Fitzpatrick, Orlando Brown, Mark Andrews, Josh Allen and Tremaine Edmunds are other contenders but so far, Nelson and Leonard would be my top 2 players from that entire class.