Change my underwear: Mark Sanchez is the biggest bust in Jets history and it's not close

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

OK.  Then please define "successful".  I don't consider being dragged along for wins, and being the worst player on the field for either team, "successful".

And meanwhile, was Trent Dilfer "successful"?

I almost started defending Sanchez just out of spite, but then realized that is impossible.

And you leave Trent Dilfer out of your filthy mouth.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, jgb said:

The belief that the Jets failed to surround Sanchez with weaponz shows conclusively the depths Jets fans will go to excuse terrible QB play.

Its closer to not being able to see that he was surrounded with weapons and not be able to see that Sanchez just wasnt able to use them to his benefit.  QBs do need weapons, that part is true, especially young, developing QBs

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Its closer to not being able to see that he was surrounded with weapons and not be able to see that Sanchez just wasnt able to use them to his benefit.  QBs do need weapons, that part is true, especially young, developing QBs

Sanchez landed in QB nirvana. He just sucks. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Sucks because there was so much optimism in that team, was so hoping with that cast of talent he could take the next step and the Jets would have remained a contender

I remember all those threads charting his likely progression... so much hype and hope because his QB rating went from 63 to 75 between years one and two. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

And what happened for 3 and a half quarters in those games? Did Baby Jesus blind the man and then give him his sight back at the end of the story?

I. Watch. The. Whole. Game.

Jets played well, Jets had a lead, defense blew the lead, Sanchez leads us back to victory, Sanchez doesn't take a victory lap, defense acts like they won the game.

Wash.  Repeat.

SAR I

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Mark Sanchez was the 2nd most successful QB in Jets history. 4 road playoff victories in his first two seasons is some accomplishment. Unfortunately the Tannebaum/ Ryan regime failed to supply him with talented skill position players to truly determine how good he could have been. 

/endthread

SAR I

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

OK.  Then please define "successful".  I don't consider being dragged along for wins, and being the worst player on the field for either team, "successful".

And meanwhile, was Trent Dilfer "successful"?

I defined succeful as winning. The Ravens made a mistake in moving on from Dilfer.  Dilfer was nothing special but what he wasn't was "bad," he was replaced by bad QBs.

The 2009 & 2010 Jets would not have won 4 road playoff games with Luke Faulk or Geno Smith as their QB.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Jets played well, Jets had a lead, defense blew the lead, Sanchez leads us back to victory, Sanchez doesn't take a victory lap, defense acts like they won the game.

Wash.  Repeat.

SAR I

Defense blew the lead?

In the Lions game (the only one I've looked at):

1 1 9:16 NYJ 32 3 1:42 4 Punt
2 1 5:34 NYJ 33 6 2:32 25 Punt
3 1 1:18 NYJ 37 3 1:26 5 Punt
4 2 11:37 NYJ 16 3 1:17 6 Punt
5 2 8:43 NYJ 13 9 3:57 74 Field Goal
6 2 1:48 NYJ 25 3 0:48 75 Touchdown
7 3 15:00 NYJ 31 4 1:51 16 Fumble
8 3 8:58 NYJ 23 7 4:20 40 Interception
9 3 3:12 NYJ 48 6 3:04 12 Punt
10 4 11:51 NYJ 32 3 1:08 2 Punt
11 4 8:34 NYJ 27 6 1:49 18 Punt

These were the Jets drives until Sanchez pulled out the win. He was 17 for 33 up until that point with one td and one interception and was lucky Damien Woody recovered his fumble in Jet territory on the td drive (number 6 on the chart, appropriately). This all coming against the number 21 ranked defense in football that year. 

So yeah, when Baby Jesus hid the loaves and the fishes from the starving crowd and then brought them out from behind their ears going "ooh what's that, a CARP!" it wasn't so much a credit to old JC

We can do this with every other game, if you'd like.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Watch those games again

Broncos game, 17-30-190, 2 picks.  Against the 4-12 Broncos, thanks Mark.  

The 6-10 Lions, had to go to OT to win

OT again against the 5-11 Browns

The 6-10 Texans a game we had the lead late, Sanchez pissed it away and came back with a miracle catch by Bray to set up the game winner.  

All games where a good QB isnt trailing in the 4th

We weren't constructed to win through the air, remember?

"Ground & Pound".  "Smashmouth Defense".  Remember?   We were built to win it like the '85 Bears with a shut-down suffocating defense.  We spent every last dollar and every important draft pick on the defense.  

And when that defense failed?  When they didn't shut people down?  Mark Sanchez to the rescue, bailing their asses out.

Well, in 2010 when he had some weapons, that is.  After the Rex Ryan Super Duper Defense let Victor Cruz go 99 yards for a TD when we were sitting at 8-5 in 2011 there were no weapons to throw to.  And 2012?  Forget it.  How should we help Mark?  Fire Brian Schottenheimer!  Bring in Tim Tebow, Tony Sporano, and Clyde Gates!  Genius!

The Jets ruined Mark, not the other way around.

SAR I

1 hour ago, jgb said:

The belief that the Jets failed to surround Sanchez with weaponz shows conclusively the depths Jets fans will go to excuse terrible QB play.

The guy was fantastic in the postseason.  You know, when it matters.

The entire point is to get to the postseason and bring a postseason quarterback with you.  And we had one.  And we ruined him.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I defined succeful as winning. The Ravens made a mistake in moving on from Dilfer.  Dilfer was nothing special but what he wasn't was "bad," he was replaced by bad QBs.

The 2009 & 2010 Jets would not have won 4 road playoff games with Luke Faulk or Geno Smith as their QB.

Exactly right.

We had a 22 year old who had won 4 road playoff games and did everything possible to ruin him.  The SOJF geniuses proclaiming "we can easily replace him!"

It's been 9 years.  Still waiting.  Still waiting.  Waiting.  Hello?  JN geniuses?  You there?  What happened?  

SAR I

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

We weren't constructed to win through the air, remember?

"Ground & Pound".  "Smashmouth Defense".  Remember?   We were built to win it like the '85 Bears with a shut-down suffocating defense.  We spent every last dollar and every important draft pick on the defense.  

And when that defense failed?  When they didn't shut people down?  Mark Sanchez to the rescue, bailing their asses out.

Well, in 2010 when he had some weapons, that is.  After the Rex Ryan Super Duper Defense let Victor Cruz go 99 yards for a TD when we were sitting at 8-5 in 2011 there were no weapons to throw to.  And 2012?  Forget it.  How should we help Mark?  Fire Brian Schottenheimer!  Bring in Tim Tebow, Tony Sporano, and Clyde Gates!  Genius!

The Jets ruined Mark, not the other way around.

SAR I

Yeah, when you have a Sanchez throwing the ball you need to go ground and pound.  Whenever they tried to open up the passing game Sanchez showed that wasn't going to be his game.  He had the leagues leading RB, the leagues best running game.  

The Jets had the number 1 defense in the league not just by yardage but by holding opponents to the least number of points.  

Dont know what fantasy Jets team you were watching, everything was in place to be a successful QB except the QB who could take advantage of it all.  Sorry, I'm not overly impressed by a QB who leads the team to a deficit against teams like the Texans, Broncos, Browns, Lions and whoever, teams we should never be losing to and then the team wins so we decide to credit Sanchez.  You score 5 points in the 4th to win it wasnt the QB leading the charge ala Rodgers

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

As I said, you have no idea who Joe Namath was to the Jets and the league.

But thats ok

I completely understand.  I've read three Namath books.  I've seen all the highlights.  I get his value as a marketing machine for the fledgling AFL.  I get how he was the first transcendant sports superstar.

But as a quarterback?

An alcoholic turnover machine.  Who had 1 good year.  Who showed up hungover to the AFL Championship Game.  Who thought the right thing to do was blow his knee and then go water skiing instead of rehab and blow out both his hamstrings.  Who tried to make a tackle in a preseason game and wrecked his shoulder and our season.  He was a mess.  Unprofessional doesn't even begin to describe it.

Joe Namath won 2 playoff games, lost a 3rd and never went back.  Joe Namath played in 3 playoff games.  Tom Brady appeared in 41.  Joe Namath is the biggest disappointment in team history.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah, when you have a Sanchez throwing the ball you need to go ground and pound.  Whenever they tried to open up the passing game Sanchez showed that wasn't going to be his game.  He had the leagues leading RB, the leagues best running game.  

The Jets had the number 1 defense in the league not just by yardage but by holding opponents to the least number of points.  

Dont know what fantasy Jets team you were watching, everything was in place to be a successful QB except the QB who could take advantage of it all.  Sorry, I'm not overly impressed by a QB who leads the team to a deficit against teams like the Texans, Broncos, Browns, Lions and whoever, teams we should never be losing to and then the team wins so we decide to credit Sanchez.  You score 5 points in the 4th to win it wasnt the QB leading the charge ala Rodgers

Mark Sanchez was exactly what the Rex Ryan Jets needed-  when the Rex Ryan Strategy was working.

But as soon as Rex started to fail with his '85 Bears Super Duper Defense, we started falling behind and instead of Mark having to throw 25 times he was asked to throw 40 times and couldn't do it.  Mark was asked to be something he wasn't.  The roster was asked to be Air Coryell and didn't have the weapons for it.  And all because Rex Ryan didn't deliver the defense he promised.  And fans buy the narrative that it was Mark's fault. Pathetic.

SAR I

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I completely understand.  I've read three Namath books.  I've seen all the highlights.  I get his value as a marketing machine for the fledgling AFL.  I get how he was the first transcendant sports superstar.

But as a quarterback?

An alcoholic turnover machine.  Who had 1 good year.  Who showed up hungover to the AFL Championship Game.  Who thought the right thing to do was blow his knee and then go water skiing instead of rehab and blow out both his hamstrings.  Who tried to make a tackle in a preseason game and wrecked his shoulder and our season.  He was a mess.  Unprofessional doesn't even begin to describe it.

Joe Namath won 2 playoff games, lost a 3rd and never went back.  Joe Namath played in 3 playoff games.  Tom Brady appeared in 41.  Joe Namath is the biggest disappointment in team history.

SAR I

Now youre proving you have no idea how different the game was in the 60's to todays game.  

He didnt blow out his knee water skiing, he tore a muscle and it was the offseason.  You want to fault him for trying to make a tackle? 

No you really dont have much and just dont get it

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Mark Sanchez was exactly what the Rex Ryan Jets needed-  when the Rex Ryan Strategy was working.

But as soon as Rex started to fail with his '85 Bears Super Duper Defense, we started falling behind and instead of Mark having to throw 25 times he was asked to throw 40 times and couldn't do it.  Mark was asked to be something he wasn't.  The roster was asked to be Air Coryell and didn't have the weapons for it.  And all because Rex Ryan didn't deliver the defense he promised.  And fans buy the narrative that it was Mark's fault. Pathetic.

SAR I

Wrong

Mark sucked because Mark sucked and was going to fail no matter who coached him.  Sometimes guys suck and time just proves that out.  He sucked here and everywhere else he went.  Unfortunate but the way it is most of the time with QBs

38 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Trent Dilfer was a starting QB just one more time after the 2000 Ravens:  In Cleveland, in 2005, sandwiched in between stints as a QB2 in Seattle and San Francisco.  Granted, he was a pretty good QB2 (8-4 record in Seattle), but a QB2 nonetheless.

The Ravens didn't make a mistake by letting him go.  Their mistake was trading up to the 19th pick in 2003 to take Kyle Boller.

Granted, that '03 draft class was pretty awful from a QB standpoint (After Carson Palmer, the next best QB's were....Byron Leftwich, Rex Grossman, Boller, and Seneca Wallace).  But they should have gotten with a veteran bridge option (like they did with Steve McNair 3 years later) until they found a more competent prospect. 

Imagine if the Ravens had been able to grab one of the guys from the great '04 class.  They had given up their '04 first rounder to get Boller, and thus didn't have the chance to get a Rivers or Big Ben of their own. 

16 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Now youre proving you have no idea how different the game was in the 60's to todays game.  

He didnt blow out his knee water skiing, he tore a muscle and it was the offseason.  You want to fault him for trying to make a tackle? 

No you really dont have much and just dont get it

His head wasn't in the game when he had a somewhat healthy body.  He didn't think.  He was a fun gunslinger with a party personality and it cost us a few more trips to the playoffs and probably a second Super Bowl.

SAR I

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

The guy was fantastic in the postseason.  You know, when it matters.

The entire point is to get to the postseason and bring a postseason quarterback with you.  And we had one.  And we ruined him.

SAR I

Mark Sanchez gave us some great moments. Sam Darnold has only elicited apathy. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, jgb said:

Mark Sanchez gave us some great moments. Sam Darnold has only elicited apathy. 

I, too, fondly remember Mark Sanchez managing to lose a game despite his team running for over 300 yards.  Or the time he fumbled a ball into his offensive lineman's a$$ in a blowout loss to the Pats on national TV while eating Thanksgiving dinner.  

Ah, memories.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I, too, fondly remember Mark Sanchez managing to lose a game despite his team running for over 300 yards.  Or the time he fumbled a ball into his offensive lineman's a$$ in a blowout loss to the Pats on national TV while eating Thanksgiving dinner.  

Ah, memories.

Our QBs suck

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...