Denzel Mims

DonCorleone

This is very interesting, I hadn't thought about that before. I think Toon was an inch taller and at the time Toon was considered to be huge. 6'4" was rare back then. 

Toon was an acrobat along the sidelines and we are starting to see that with Mims. It was a different game for Toon, hopefully the Jets can stretch Mims out more and get him the ball downfield. At times with Toon he was a glorified tight end and I think he got beat up because of it. The injuries definitely shortened his career.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

During the Chargers game, Mims reminded me of Al Toon.

I am NOT anointing him anything. What I am saying is his style of catching. Catching awkward passes. Fighting for the ball away from a receiver for the catch.

His catches against the side lines.......

In a season where there is not much to be happy about, I found something which gave me hope. I wonder what he would look like with an actual training camp and preseason. 

Now imagine him on one side J Chase on the other, and Ettiene in the backfield!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

This is very interesting, I hadn't thought about that before. I think Toon was an inch taller and at the time Toon was considered to be huge. 6'4" was rare back then. 

Toon was an acrobat along the sidelines and we are starting to see that with Mims. It was a different game for Toon, hopefully the Jets can stretch Mims out more and get him the ball downfield. At times with Toon he was a glorified tight end and I think he got beat up because of it. The injuries definitely shortened his career.

Yes and Toon had those long arms. Unusually long. Speed....Heart. He played injured. He was killed by those high passes down the middle when Kenny O'Brien was trying to throw for his life. Remember the "Toooooooon" chant at the Meadowlands or...In Miami when we played the Dolphins. 

3 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

One thing that worries me is his ability to separate. Seems like he commits pass interference on every 9 route. The DBs he's working on complains to the ref after every play. It's something they may tell the ref during pregame to look out for. Hopefully he keeps getting away with it.

He is definitively physical and no doubt, he'll draw flags once in a a while but he earns the respect of QB who know he'll fight for it. 

19 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

One thing that worries me is his ability to separate. Seems like he commits pass interference on every 9 route. The DBs he's working on complains to the ref after every play. It's something they may tell the ref during pregame to look out for. Hopefully he keeps getting away with it.

Yeah I did notice some corners complaining but they all do that ?.  He also is very good at drawing penalties so I’m not concerned 

Mims showed his physicality at the Senior Bowl and one of the most physical
WR's of all time is his coach (Hines Ward).  I'd rather have him this way 
and ease him off than being a soft, finesse WR and hope he could develop
into a fighter

• Upvote 4

39 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Now imagine him on one side J Chase on the other, and Ettiene in the backfield!

Yes, but the 1st round pick at the top of the draft is likely to be a QB either Lawrence or Fields and Chase will go not too long after that. Then at the other 1st round pick we have at somewhere in the 20's more than likely, we should obviously pick an offensive player either WR, RB, or OL. Then hopefully at the 1st pick of the 2nd round we add more to the O, but since that is the 1st pick of day 2 and we all know some 1st round talent drops to that pick Jets could go Edge rusher or CB if good value remains there.

55 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

During the Chargers game, Mims reminded me of Al Toon.

I am NOT anointing him anything. What I am saying is his style of catching. Catching awkward passes. Fighting for the ball away from a receiver for the catch.

His catches against the side lines.......

In a season where there is not much to be happy about, I found something which gave me hope. I wonder what he would look like with an actual training camp and preseason. 

dude has like 13 catches.... only thing him and toon have in common is they are jet wrs

1 minute ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Yes, but the 1st round pick at the top of the draft is likely to be a QB either Lawrence or Fields and Chase will go not too long after that. Then at the other 1st round pick we have at somewhere in the 20's more than likely, we should obviously pick an offensive player either WR, RB, or OL. Then hopefully at the 1st pick of the 2nd round we add more to the O, but since that is the 1st pick of day 2 and we all know some 1st round talent drops to that pick Jets could go Edge rusher or CB if good value remains there.

Our #1 WR next year needs to be Robinson, Smith-Shuster or Godwin.  Re-sign
Perriman and our top 4 looks good with FA, Mims, Crowder and Perriman.  Use
the rest of the picks on our "desert positions" like Edge, CB and OLine

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

He played the same way in college. There are just some WR's in the league that are a little more handsy and the refs know it so they dont ride them as much. He will likely develop this same rep. 

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Don't worry about it. 

Have you ever pulled a hammy. Like for real?.... he pulled both. He'll be fine. Give him more than a month under the microscope. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

He played the same way in college. There are just some WR's in the league that are a little more handsy and the refs know it so they dont ride them as much. He will likely develop this same rep. 

Exactly!  DeAndre Hopkins commits opi pretty much every route and gets away with it.  It’s definitely a skill 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Like DBs did on just about every Michael Irvin reception?  I dont mind, let it get into their heads early and often then.  Advantage Mims

And that was before the days where if you breath on a WR its defensive PI.  OPI is rarely called and smaller DBs trying to fend off a bigger WR are getting called more often that not

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

He’ll get flagged every once in a while for sure but not enough that it’ll be an issue. He was the same way in college. Hand fighting, physicality, and creating last second separation is an art and Mims is very good at it. Someone mentioned it in another thread though that he seems to invite the hand fighting at times when maybe he’d be better off just blowing past the defender. I agree with that and it’s definitely something he can work on. So much room for improvement with Mims, sky is really the limit.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

I was always worried about this as well, as when you watch his Baylor highlights the majority of them involve sideline jump balls. Al Toon, was a bit before my time but Mims' ability to maneuver his body to make contested catches in tight areas is definitely among his best traits. 

One thing that made me feel better about his separation ability was the below video from the Senior Bowl. I get it, its the senior bowl and making fringe draft players look stupid isn't the same as doing that against Tre White or Stephon Gilmore - but he looks really fast in and out of cuts and we saw from the combine he has great 40 time/cone drills so there is explosion in his game. I don't think he'll ever be a burner like Tyreke Hill, or have the route running ability of Diggs, but hes fast enough to beat you deep, quick enough to win in the short and medium areas of the field, and even if he doesn't separate he can dominate smaller CBs on contested catches. I think the Jets got a good one for sure. 

Senior Bowl: 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Coming out of college one of the knocks on him was that he was too physical and may get flagged for PI often in the pros. Well, turns out he isn't...at least not. Maybe it's because he's gotten lucky or perhaps because he is skilled at doing just enough to get separation but not enough to draw the flag. 
It's not like rookies and especially Jets rookies get the benefit of the doubt from refs too often. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

He is a very physical WR.  I beleive he drew 2 PI's called against SD last Sunday.

In general  refs favor the O in those situations.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Ruby2 said:

Never saw Toon play. Current era player he most reminds me of right now is a slightly slimmed down Demaryius Thomas.

Toon was the reason I’ve developed an affinity towards taller, longer receivers.   Him and Wesley Walker complimented one another nicely and formed a nice duo.  

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Coming out of college one of the knocks on him was that he was too physical and may get flagged for PI often in the pros. Well, turns out he isn't...at least not. Maybe it's because he's gotten lucky or perhaps because he is skilled at doing just enough to get separation but not enough to draw the flag. 
It's not like rookies and especially Jets rookies get the benefit of the doubt from refs too often. 

Maybe Hines Ward helped him

• Upvote 2