Change my oil, Vernon Gholston is the biggest bust in Jets history.

freestater

Almost every list of NFL busts has Gholston listed as the top Jets bust but recency bias could play into this -- a good argument was made that Lam was worse in the other thread. I still think Darnold is the biggest but that's just like, my opinion, man.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, freestater said:

Boar hunter was drafted way too late. He is in the running for the Brett Ratliff Preseason Hype Award though

Boar Hunter was drafted about 28 rounds too early - impressive in a 7 round draft.

Obviously, we have had much bigger busts, but Schlegel was certainly a massive "WTF?!?" moment. He was a 7th round at best talent that the Jets took in the early 3rd.

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Gholston is not even in the discussion. A DE drafted in the top 10 that busts is not anywhere comparable to a QB drafted in the top 10 that busts. The QB who busts sets the franchise back 5-7 years. A DE? Disappointed, but not the end of the world.

How have the Jets been set back 7 years?  What is it the 90's?

Why not say 10, 15?  

16 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

How have the Jets been set back 7 years?  What is it the 90's?

Why not say 10, 15?  

Sánchez busted in 2012. We are almost in 2021, and still don’t have a FQB. Since 2012, we’ve been through Geno, Fitz, Petty, McCown and Sam. Our record over that time is abysmal and we have drafted top ten almost every year, top 5 3-4 times. Are probably going to be on coach 4. That my friend, is a direct result of Sánchez busting.

9 minutes ago, section314 said:

Sánchez busted in 2012. We are almost in 2021, and still don’t have a FQB. Since 2012, we’ve been through Geno, Fitz, Petty, McCown and Sam. Our record over that time is abysmal and we have drafted top ten almost every year, top 5 3-4 times. Are probably going to be on coach 4. That my friend, is a direct result of Sánchez busting.

And not being able to find a FQB has nothing to do with Sanchez.  Are you saying that there havent been any FQBs drafted since 2012?  Is it Sanchezs fault we turned a possible FQB like Darnold into a bust by not getting players to help him develop?  Is it Sanchez's fault we didnt draft a Watson, Mahomes, J Allen or any other FQB?

Sanchez should have put us back a handful of years.  Arizona was set back what one year with Rosen?  Its not the old days when you drafted a  in the top of the draft and had to pay him a fortune and your team was set back by a bust of a QB because of the hit to your cap, ala Jamarcus Russell  

18 hours ago, BugZy said:

How about the Blair Thomas Debacle? That might just beat the Gholston pick as the worst in Jet history.

He didn’t start out a bust.  He gained 600 + his first and second seasons.  IMO he suffered from having coslet as coach.  Coslet was another running back by committee type coaches and he used a 4 running back rotation.  I think the biggest issue is in drafting a position that really wasn’t needed so highly.  You can’t blame Thomas for that.

1 hour ago, section314 said:

That’s looking back too far.  Hard to say Sanchez was the bust he’s being made out to be.  Look at how tanny failed to bring in some decent receivers. Edwards was a mid season pick up.  Holmes was traded for the next year but that guy only played one good year for the jets.  Once they paired him with buress, all bets went out.  And then we don’t know if Sanchez would’ve played better in 2013 before he got injured in a senseless preseason game.  That team still had some decent players.  They went 8-8 with geno at qb.

geno is the guy that set all of the recent stupidity in motion.  He came in, wrecked himself, then wrecked the team.  The idiot drafting by Maccagnan and idzik made things that much worse.  No QBs and no players means disaster.