Hold my Beer Jamaal Adams is the biggest bust in Jets history

Lupz27

18 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I don't remember seeing Patrick Mahomes being mocked anywhere near the top 1 or 2 or 3 overall picks or let alone top 6.... As was Jamal Adams. 

https://walterfootball.com/draft2017.php

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2017-nfl-mock-draft-three-round-mock-includes-15-trades-seven-quarterbacks/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2699809-2017-nfl-mock-draft-predictions-with-one-month-remaining.amp.html

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/story/_/id/19241424/2017-nfl-nation-mock-draft-cleveland-browns-get-myles-garrett-texas-aggies-mitchell-trubisky-north-carolina-tar-heels

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/peter-schragers-seven-round-2017-nfl-mock-draft-042517

https://www.google.com/amp/s/draftwire.usatoday.com/2016/11/09/2017-nfl-mock-draft-updated-3-round-projections/amp/

etc etc and that's probably because Patrick Mahomes was nothing more than a career loser coming out of college who became blessed, fortunate and downright lucky to become drafted by the Kansas City Chiefs (already a winning Football team) along with Tyreek Hill, Sammy Watkins, Travis Kelce, an A+ offensive line and Andy Reid; already there. 

Stop acting and pretending as if he got drafted into a NY Jets, Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns and/or Jacksonville Jaguars type of absolute crap situation as a way of slighting Jamal Adams; because he didn't (he got drafted into the complete opposite). 

Hahahahaha your posts continue devolve. Now you’re trying to say that mahomes is a product of Reid to prop up your guy who btw you are suddenly saying is an SS so coverage ineptitude isn’t a big deal when all you used to say was “but PFF loves him in coverage” prior to this season. Dude is a linebacker and an undersized one at that lol

• Thumb Down 1

20 hours ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

Yes he did.

20 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Aaron Rodgers?  Not really a GOAT candidate (though certainly a HOFer and one of the 15 or so greatest ever) and the franchise wasn't realistically in the market for a QB at the time, unfortunately.  I can't stand Chad Pennington but he was a much better QB at the time than the Jets had on the roster in 2017.  

That trade didn’t prevent the Jets from taking a GOAT candidate. First, as Dominator correctly points out, Rodgers was off the board before our original pick that we traded to Oakland. There is no way the Jets were drafting a QB in round 1 just 7 months after awarding its QB the 2nd-most lucrative contract in NFL history with the 2nd-most up-front money — $18MM in up-front cash back when the cap limit was about $80-85MM, which is equivalent to ~$40-45MM up-front cash (plus another $10MM in full guarantees) today.

Show me any team nowadays who - particularly in the absence of a GM replacement - would fully guarantee a veteran QB over $50MM in September and then, coming off a playoff season with said QB, use its 1st round pick on another QB in April. Still less one that could make a very credible case it was a few non-QB players away from being a serious SB contender. I wasn’t Pennington’s greatest fan but he wasn’t a below-average QB on an otherwise outstanding roster like Sanchez.

The problem wasn’t in failing to draft Rodgers; the problem was in giving Pennington that preposterous contract in the first place. Beyond that unrealistic sequence of events we’d further have to presume that 29 year-old Bates would be as effective as McCarthy was at breaking down & rebuilding Rodgers. 

You want a GOAT type QB we muffed on taking (by tacitly communicating we wouldn’t draft that QB)? That’s Peyton Manning, not Aaron Rodgers. Because hey, we already had Neil O’Donnell and Glenn Foley, and our pelvic-fat emperor on his 3-year commitment didn’t want to break in a rookie QB (let alone a rookie QB who’d have bypassed his senior season, which wasn’t commonplace back then like it is today). 

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

That trade didn’t prevent the Jets from taking a GOAT candidate. First, as Dominator correctly points out, Rodgers was off the board before our original pick that we traded to Oakland. There is no way the Jets were drafting a QB in round 1 just 7 months after awarding its QB the 2nd-most lucrative contract in NFL history with the 2nd-most up-front money — $18MM in up-front cash back when the cap limit was about $80-85MM, which is equivalent to ~$40-45MM up-front cash (plus another $10MM in full guarantees) today.

Show me any team nowadays who - particularly in the absence of a GM replacement - would fully guarantee a veteran QB over $50MM in September and then, coming off a playoff season with said QB, use its 1st round pick on another QB in April. Still less one that could make a very credible case it was a few non-QB players away from being a serious SB contender. I wasn’t Pennington’s greatest fan but he wasn’t a below-average QB on an otherwise outstanding roster like Sanchez.

The problem wasn’t in failing to draft Rodgers; the problem was in giving Pennington that preposterous contract in the first place. Beyond that unrealistic sequence of events we’d further have to presume that 29 year-old Bates would be as effective as McCarthy was at breaking down & rebuilding Rodgers. 

You want a GOAT type QB we muffed on taking (by tacitly communicating we wouldn’t draft that QB)? That’s Peyton Manning, not Aaron Rodgers. Because hey, we already had Neil O’Donnell and Glenn Foley, and our pelvic-fat emperor on his 3-year commitment didn’t want to break in a rookie QB (let alone a rookie QB who’d have bypassed his senior season, which wasn’t commonplace back then like it is today). 

Rodgers was gettable. It's not like we were picking 4 and he went 2 or something. And of course trade down/Nugent over Rodgers was a Pennington fail. Just like Adams over Mahomes was a Hackenberg fail. And?

39 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

To be fair, show me any team that would trade their first pick for a borderline starting TE and a kicker. Seems even less likely to me.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Bad pick no doubt but when you have taken guys like Roger Vick, Lam Jones, Blair Thomas, Vernon Ghoulston, Dave Cardigan, and Mike Nugent, he is not even within shouting distance of the worst pick. Neither is Sam

All of those were terrible picks with hindsight.

Hackenberg is the worst NFL prospect I have ever seen drafted by the Jets. A completely broken QB who couldn't hit the side of a bus. The only 2nd round pick that never stood a chance. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

All of those were terrible picks with hindsight.

Hackenberg is the worst NFL prospect I have ever seen drafted by the Jets. A completely broken QB who couldn't hit the side of a bus. The only 2nd round pick that never stood a chance. 

First off all of them were first round picks and in terms of being a pick that everyone thought was awful from the start, that is Roger Vick. As far as passing on other great players, to select Blair Thomas, we passed on Emmit Smith, Rodney Hampton, Cortez Kennedy, and Junior Seau. Picking Sam and not even Hack demonstrate the ineptitude that these picks did. I didn't even mention Mike Haight

19 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

To be fair, show me any team that would trade their first pick for a borderline starting TE and a kicker. Seems even less likely to me.

Lol that’s fair. But then, other than blind believers that the professionals know (knew) what they’re doing, few were content with this “plan” from the Jets’ GM/HC geniuses.

20 hours ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

Rodgers was gettable. It's not like we were picking 4 and he went 2 or something. And of course trade down/Nugent over Rodgers was a Pennington fail. Just like Adams over Mahomes was a Hackenberg fail. And?

I agree he was gettable. But the list of gettable QBs doesn’t end with the couple that 80 mentioned. I’m only adding/suggesting it’s about as likely as drafting a QB in round 1, then having him not bust, and then drafting another one in round 1 again the following year. 

Their plan was stupid: well, our kicker missed the gamewinning FG so that means we were just a kicker away, so therefore trade down a little and take a kicker with the pick that was our 1st rounder. Ooh plus a meh TE. 

In addition to QB not being a team need, to a GM who just extended his veteran QB to that level contract, here’s also the reality that Rodgers fell like a stone into the 20s after being projected as high as #3. He wouldn’t have been on Bradway’s radar even if he’d fallen round 2. 

Again, the stupid thing was in giving Pennington that contract in the first place. It means - barring a long-term injury like with Prescott or Alex Smith (or what was perceived with Peyton Manning), where the QB may never play again, and definitely don’t figure to return to prior levels - this is your QB for the next 3 years. That’s the bed you make with such a contract. Even with Manning it wasn’t the same, since Luck was even more the “it” prospect than Darnold. 

43 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Worst bust and worst draft pick are two totally different things.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Name the one realistic player the Jets could have drafted at 6 that would have made us fans happy yes even in hindsight.  I’ll wait.  Realistic.  There are like 10 the Jets could have taken over Jamaal a SS who’s team wins with or without him makes no difference AT ALL.

2 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Name the one realistic player the Jets could have drafted at 6 that would have made us fans happy yes even in hindsight.  I’ll wait.  Realistic.  There are like 10 the Jets could have taken over Jamaal a SS who’s team wins with or without him makes no difference AT ALL.

Name another safety with a win/loss record lol

btw maccagnan scouted 2 QB classes and passed on an entire draft class for another 

the jets passed on Watson and mahomie for Sam 

On 11/24/2020 at 1:33 PM, Defense Wins Championships said:

You can't be considered a bust after being selected to an All-Rookie team, 2 Pro Bowl selections and 2 All-Pro selections (first 1st-team All-Pro since Revis) before netting us a Khalil Mack type of HAUL in return for his on field greatness as a Jet (throughout only 3 seasons of play). 

And can anyone please post me a mock draft of any NFL draft expert mocking Patrick Mahomes as a top 6 pick? Nope. You can't. 

And once the Jets draft Trevor Lawrence?

With our two first round picks from Seattle (2021 and 2022) along with our 3rd round pick from Seattle (2021)?

Just like fans blame Adams for not drafting Mahomes?

Those same Jet fans will then become forced to give Jamal credit for our 3 future players we're going to receive for Jamal (because it doesn't work, both ways). 

I'm going to enjoy it. 

Too bad the likes of Sam Darnold and Marcus Maye can't net us a Khalil Mack type of haul featuring two 1st round picks + another premium 3rd rounder...

Just like Leo Williams and QW, the selection of Jamal was a BPA approach by Macc.

That typically isn’t a bad strategy and all those players are turning out to be very good or even Pro Bowl caliber. The big problem is two-fold: All 3 of those guys play defense in a modern points-driven NFL and none of them even play the “premium” positions of Edge or CB.

6 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

Worst bust and worst draft pick are two totally different things.

Of course, but you said in your post I quoted the Jamal pick "wasn't as bad".  Pick, not bust.  I've never once argued Adams is a bust, so it seemed clear you were talking about which pick was worse.

Gholston was a massive bust.  Still a far better pick than Adams.

On 11/25/2020 at 12:07 PM, Fantasy Island said:

Mevi$ says hi.

Revis was selfish starting from his rooking season. You can say whatever you want about him and it will probably be true but Revis was elite. He was just as dominant in 2009-2010 than any defensive player has ever been. How he lost DPOY to Charles Woodson was beyond me. 

He dominated Randy Moss, Calvin Johnson, Steve Smith, Roddy White, Vincent Jackson. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/24/2020 at 1:20 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Biggest bust?  No.

2nd worst pick in Jets history?  Yes.  Hackenberg being the worst.  

I'm with you, and I'd expand on that.  He might be a douche, but he made the pro bowl for us and netted us some valuable draft capitol.  A list of bigger handjobs for those of us that have been around awhile:

1. Vernon Gholston

2. Dee Milliner

3. Darren Lee

4. Quinton Coples

5. Dave Cadigan

6. Mike Haight

7. Ron Faurot

Honorable Mention: Roger Vick and Blair Thomas

And those are just the first rounders.  If we include second rounders....ooof:

8. Jace Amaro

9.Devin Smith

10. Stephen Hill

11. Christian Hackenberg

12. Justin Miller

13. Dorian Boose

14. Alex Van Dyke

15. Ryan Yarborough

16. Browning Nagle

17. Terry Williams

And 3rd round, just for sh*ts and giggles:

18. Anthony Schlegel

19. Jachai Polite

20. Ardarius Stewart

21. Derrick Strait

On 11/24/2020 at 3:33 PM, Defense Wins Championships said:

You can't be considered a bust after being selected to an All-Rookie team, 2 Pro Bowl selections and 2 All-Pro selections (first 1st-team All-Pro since Revis) before netting us a Khalil Mack type of HAUL in return for his on field greatness as a Jet (throughout only 3 seasons of play). 

And can anyone please post me a mock draft of any NFL draft expert mocking Patrick Mahomes as a top 6 pick? Nope. You can't. 

And once the Jets draft Trevor Lawrence?

With our two first round picks from Seattle (2021 and 2022) along with our 3rd round pick from Seattle (2021)?

Just like fans blame Adams for not drafting Mahomes?

Those same Jet fans will then become forced to give Jamal credit for our 3 future players we're going to receive for Jamal (because it doesn't work, both ways). 

I'm going to enjoy it. 

Too bad the likes of Sam Darnold and Marcus Maye can't net us a Khalil Mack type of haul featuring two 1st round picks + another premium 3rd rounder...

Here we go again. What in God's name is your point? The Seahawks whiffed, and the Jets got "paid" with a boatload of picks for a malcontent who blabbed his way off the team, a malcontent with a failed monetary extortion attempt that's now on his resume.  JAMAL ADAMS OPENLY SAID HE DID NOT WANT TO BE HERE, PAY ME. Why is this somehow an indictment that the Jets somehow got "fleeced" for not paying a "Pro-Bowler" and/or made the wrong decision? I'm starting to wonder if you're a monkey who pounds a keyboard. It's attention-grabbing nonsense. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

I'm with you, and I'd expand on that.  He might be a douche, but he made the pro bowl for us and netted us some valuable draft capitol.  A list of bigger handjobs for those of us that have been around awhile:

1. Vernon Gholston

2. Dee Milliner

3. Darren Lee

4. Quinton Coples

5. Dave Cadigan

6. Mike Haight

7. Ron Faurot

Honorable Mention: Roger Vick and Blair Thomas

And those are just the first rounders.  If we include second rounders....ooof:

8. Jace Amaro

9.Devin Smith

10. Stephen Hill

11. Christian Hackenberg

12. Justin Miller

13. Dorian Boose

14. Alex Van Dyke

15. Ryan Yarborough

16. Browning Nagle

17. Terry Williams

And 3rd round, just for sh*ts and giggles:

18. Anthony Schlegel

19. Jachai Polite

20. Ardarius Stewart

21. Derrick Strait

You forgot Kyle Wilson.

• Haha 1

On 11/24/2020 at 3:57 PM, Defense Wins Championships said:

I don't remember seeing Patrick Mahomes being mocked anywhere near the top 1 or 2 or 3 overall picks or let alone top 6.... As was Jamal Adams. 

https://walterfootball.com/draft2017.php

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2017-nfl-mock-draft-three-round-mock-includes-15-trades-seven-quarterbacks/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2699809-2017-nfl-mock-draft-predictions-with-one-month-remaining.amp.html

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/story/_/id/19241424/2017-nfl-nation-mock-draft-cleveland-browns-get-myles-garrett-texas-aggies-mitchell-trubisky-north-carolina-tar-heels

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/peter-schragers-seven-round-2017-nfl-mock-draft-042517

https://www.google.com/amp/s/draftwire.usatoday.com/2016/11/09/2017-nfl-mock-draft-updated-3-round-projections/amp/

etc etc and that's probably because Patrick Mahomes was nothing more than a career loser coming out of college who became blessed, fortunate and downright lucky to become drafted by the Kansas City Chiefs (already a winning Football team) along with Tyreek Hill, Sammy Watkins, Travis Kelce, an A+ offensive line and Andy Reid; already there. 

Stop acting and pretending as if he got drafted into a NY Jets, Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns and/or Jacksonville Jaguars type of absolute crap situation as a way of slighting Jamal Adams; because he didn't (he got drafted into the complete opposite). 

Don't you love it when people conveniently forget history and facts ? Great post !  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1