uStadium: SOURCE: Jets Doing Research on Northwestern’s Pat Fitzgerald

Jetsbb

SOURCE: Jets Doing Research on Northwestern’s Pat Fitzgerald

The Jets haven’t officially moved on from Adam Gase yet but that isn’t stopping them from doing their research on potential replacements.

A source told us they have been doing their due diligence on Northwestern’s HC Pat Fitzgerald and not to be surprised if he isn’t their
#1 target in January.

The Carolina Panthers reached out to Fitzgerald about their vacancy before hiring Baylor’s Matt Rhule last year. Fitzgerald opted not to formally interview for the position.

Fitzgerald has been highly regarded in NFL circles for years and teams have routinely expressed interest in hiring him. In 2019 the Green Bay Packers also sought out Fitzgerald for an interview, in which he declined.

It’s unsure if Fitzgerald is ready to make the jump to the pro’s but that certainly won’t stop the Jets and other teams from trying. The Chicago Bears have long been linked to Fitzgerald.

Fitzgerald has his Wildcats at 5-0 and ranked 8th in the recent rankings.

• Upvote 4

Plz God no. 

You guys mock Jim Harbaugh for college and Ohio State? This guy is 10x worse. 

2006: 106th  ranked offense (out of 119 teams). 

2007: 73rd ranked offense (out of 120 teams). 

2008: 75th ranked offense (out of 120 teams). 

2009: 71st ranked offense (out of 120 teams). 

2010: 65th ranked offense (out of 120 teams). 

2011: 51st ranked offense (out of 120 teams). 

2012: 42nd ranked offense (out of 124 teams). 

2013: 83rd ranked offense (out of 125 teams). 

2014: 102nd ranked offense (out of 128 teams). 

2015: 114th ranked offense (out of 128 teams). 

2016: 87th ranked offense (out of 128 teams). 

2017: 57th ranked offense (out of 130 teams). 

2018: 101st ranked offense (out of 130 teams). 

2019: 126th ranked offense (out of 130 teams). 

2020: 85th ranked offense (out of 127 teams). 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 5
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Plz God no. 

Do you know how difficult it is to win at Northwestern? If you know the guys personality he would be a breath of fresh air compared to Gase and Bowles. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Plz God no. 

Please elaborate... I don't no much about the guy.

But from Wikipedia 

"Fitzgerald has led the Wildcats to nine bowl games in thirteen seasons; before he became head coach the 'Cats had only been in six bowl games in 123 football seasons."

Fitzgerald.jpg

While Adam Gase’s end-of-season firing is a foregone conclusion, we haven’t heard any potential targets being floated through the media until now.

uSTADIUM on Twitter: “#Jets already doing due diligence on Northwestern’s Pat Fitzgerald. SCOOP: https://t.co/VFXHRITqYH https://t.co/bIwXlfDYWx” / Twitter

According to uStadium, the Jets are doing their due diligence on Northwestern’s Pat Fitzgerald.  Fitzgerald isn’t a new name among teams looking for a new head coach as of late.  In fact, he interviewed with the Carolina Panthers before they tabbed Matt Rhule as their guy, and the Green Bay Packers showed interest in Fitzgerald but he declined their request for an interview.

Since taking over at Northwester in 2006, Fitzgerald has an overall record of 104-79 along with winning each of his last three bowl games.

The post Report: Jets Start Search for new Head Coach With Northwestern’s Pat Fitzgerald appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
aa4mojcQ3es

Click here to read the full story...

19 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

He’s 9-6 against the Hawkeyes. What other Big Ten teams have a better record against the Hawkeyes the last 15 years?

That doesn't mean anything.  Iowa is a good program, but that's not exactly a measuring stick of greatness.

He also has a hard-on for Iowa because he broke his leg against Iowa as a player and thinks it's was a dirty play.  

Fitzgerald has been kept NW a respectable program, but there have been plenty of lean seasons under his watch too.

There was a thread about him last week and I'll reshare my thoughts in this one.  If we ended going QB again in the draft, nothing in Fitzgerald's resume or results indicate he should be trusted to develop a QB or have an effective offense.

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

Do you know how difficult it is to win at Northwestern? 

I couldn't care less because do you know how hard it is to win @ Michigan?

Michigan hasn't been a powerhouse since the early 1900's and they've only got two National Championship Titles as a football program dating back to the 1940's (1948 and 1997). 

Jim Harbaugh only returned to Michigan because he's an Alumni and wanted to bring his school back to the promise land (but as you can see he's failed because it's impossible for Michigan Football) where they won all their titles (outside of 1997) way back in 1901, 1902, 1903, 1904, 1918, 1923, 1932, 1933, 1947 and 1948. 

Nonetheless 

People give Jim Harbaugh a hard time despite a career NCAA coaching record @ Michigan of 49-21 (.700%)

But then ask for a coach within the same Big 10 Conference in Fitzgerald? Who's only 104-79 (.568%)?

Hypocritical, much?

And Jet fans make a big deal about Harbaugh being winless against Ohio State but yet then ignore Fitz being 0-7 against Ohio State?

Hypocritical, much?

Pat Fitzgerald is also 0-2 vs Jim Harbaugh (.000%) throughout 2 Michigan vs. Northwestern games. 

Nope. No thank you. 

At least I can sit here and state that not only did Jim Harbaugh post the 5th highest NFL Head Coaching winning percentage of All-Time @. 695% consisting of 0 losing seasons, 3 NFC Championship Games and 1 SB appearance throughout a 4 year run; but also turned Alex Smith from a career losing NFL bust into an immediate winner, led an average Kaep to the SB, developed a younger Freshman/Sophomore Andrew Luck into the #1 QB Prospect since dating back to Elway/Manning while going 12-1 @ STANFORD during Luck's Sophomore year; and is also a Former NFL QB himself who led his Baltimore Colts to the AFC Championship Game with 14 years of NFL Quarterbacking experience etc, etc as the man who deserves to mold and develop Trevor Lawrence...

WTF has Pat Fitzgerald done to earn his rights to Trevor Lawrence outside of absolutely nothingness?

@Darnold Schwarzenegger you asked me to elaborate; which I just did. 

He's also a defensive minded head and the complete opposite of an offensive minded one. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Please elaborate... I don't no much about the guy.

But from Wikipedia 

"Fitzgerald has led the Wildcats to nine bowl games in thirteen seasons; before he became head coach the 'Cats had only been in six bowl games in 123 football seasons."

While true, that's a bit misleading.  5 of the 6 bowls games in that 123 year span came in the 10 years prior to Fitzgerald getting there.

NW wasn't exactly the sisters of the poor when Fitzgerald took over.  They had already climbed out if that abyss with Gary Barnett and Randy Walker.  Fitzgerald has built on that and been able to sustain it.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

That doesn't mean anything.  Iowa is a good program, but that's not exactly a measuring stick of greatness.

He also has a hard-on for Iowa because he broke his leg against Iowa as a player and thinks it's was a dirty play.  

Fitzgerald has been turned NW into a respectable program, but there have been plenty of lean seasons under his watch too.

There was a thread about him last week and I'll reshare my thoughts in this one.  If we ended going QB again in the draft, nothing in Fitzgerald's resume or results that indicate he should be trusted to develop a QB or have an effective offense.

Iowa is a large state school that plays in a college football hotbed where Hawkeye football is the only show in town. Northwestern is a private school in Chicago with major academic restrictions. 

7 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I couldn't care less because do you know how hard it is to win @ Michigan?

Michigan hasn't been a powerhouse since the early 1900's and they've only got two National Championship Titles as a football program dating back to the 1940's (1948 and 1997). 

Jim Harbaugh only returned to Michigan because he's an Alumni and wanted to bring his school back to the promise land (but as you can see he's failed because it's impossible for Michigan Football) where they won all their titles (outside of 1997) way back in 1901, 1902, 1903, 1904, 1918, 1923, 1932, 1933, 1947 and 1948. 

Nonetheless 

People give Jim Harbaugh a hard time despite a career NCAA coaching record @ Michigan of 49-21 (.700%)

But then ask for a coach within the same Big 10 Conference in Fitzgerald? Who's only 104-79 (.568%)?

Hypocritical, much?

And Jet fans make a big deal about Harbaugh being winless against Ohio State but yet then ignore Fitz being 0-7 against Ohio State?

Hypocritical, much?

Pat Fitzgerald is also 1-8 vs Jim Harbaugh (.111%) throughout 9 Michigan vs. Northwestern games. 

Nope. No thank you. 

At least I can sit here and state that not only did Jim Harbaugh post the 5th highest NFL Head Coaching winning percentage of All-Time @. 695% consisting of 0 losing seasons, 3 NFC Championship Games and 1 SB appearance throughout a 4 year run; but also turned Alex Smith from a career losing NFL bust into an immediate winner, led an average Kaep to the SB, developed a younger Freshman/Sophomore Andrew Luck into the #1 QB Prospect since dating back to Elway/Manning while going 12-1 @ STANFORD during Luck's Sophomore year; and is also a Former NFL QB himself who led his Baltimore Colts to the AFC Championship Game with 14 years of NFL Quarterbacking experience etc, etc as the man who deserves to mold and develop Trevor Lawrence...

WTF has Pat Fitzgerald done to earn his rights to Trevor Lawrence outside of absolutely nothingness?

@Darnold Schwarzenegger you asked me to elaborate; which I just did. 

He's also a defensive minded head and the complete opposite of an offensive minded one. 

Pat Fitzgerald has not coached against Harbaugh 9 times. 

And are you seriously comparing the Michigan job to Northwestern?

Very interesting, indeed... He is a dynamic presence. Not sure if his personality and methods would work out with professional players.  I'd say he'd be a boom or bust as an NFL HC.  Or perhaps he would be a boom and then... A massive explosion and not a good one.  Jim Harbaugh and Brian Kelly and Pat Fitzgerald would probably get the players full attention for a few seasons, and then... 

cCWHV49.thumb.jpg.a5299826a8ae32e112fbf7fe29d034d0.jpg

4 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Very interesting, indeed... He is a dynamic presence. Not sure if his personality and methods would work out with professional players.  I'd say he'd be a boom or bust as an NFL HC.  Or perhaps he would be a boom and then... A massive explosion and not a good one.  Jim Harbaugh and Brian Kelly and Pat Fitzgerald would probably get the players full attention for a few seasons, and then... 

cCWHV49.thumb.jpg.a5299826a8ae32e112fbf7fe29d034d0.jpg

The Jets need someone to come in and build a program.