Joe Douglas failed to support Sam Darnold, so why do people think he will do better with Trevor Lawrence?

hamat711

A QB doesn't solve all your problems. Look at Matt Stafford. Despite having a franchise QB for years, the Lions have never had sustained success.

There is a real chance the Jets go 0-16. Joe Douglas wasn't trying to tank, he was just that bad at constructing a roster. Now people wanna praise him for trading away a elite defender and hitting on a 1st round pick? Idzik did the same thing, and we know how that turned out.

He let a bad WR group get worse. The two starting corners he signed have already been cut. Despite major investments in the offensive line, the unit is still garbage outside of Becton. In one full off-season, Mekhi Becton and maybe Denzel Mims are the only players that he has added, that have proven they should be apart of the Jets long term plans. At that rate, the Jets will look like the current Lions. 

Say what you want about Gase, but his teams have never looked this bad.

Say what you want about Mac, but you can't put this all on him after Douglas whiffed on several free agent signing that should have improved the team.

Say what you want about Darnold, but weapons matter and hide flaws. Hopkins and Diggs turned their QBs into MVP candidates. Burrow and Herbert are off to a fast start because they have plenty of weapons. Meanwhile Tua just got benched because his only weapon was Devante Parker.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 22

18 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

blah, blah, blah.

Becton and Mims, thats it.  

Bowling alleys closed in Buffalo?

I'm must giving a outsiders perspective.

If you check my history, I predicted this would happen.

It was clear as day to anyone who doesn't wear green colored glasses.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2

2 minutes ago, hamat711 said:

its been 25+ years for the Bills to win a single playoff game

One.  

Still waiting.

Outsiders perspective is that is pathetic

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, hamat711 said:

You did predict and you were right.  

However there are two reasons why you are wrong.....

First JD seems like he is an outstanding judge of talent. His draft picks look like players and that will help the next QB for next year Sam, Lawrence or Fields.   

Second, JD is admits mistakes and is willing to make adjustments off if those  mistakes. 

JD based on what he has done so far on Becton and Mims get an A- to me. 

Oh and by the way I lived Buffalo during their SB runs — went to UB for graduate school.  

In two years we are going to get ya!

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, hamat711 said:

Checking your history the Jets could put together a roster of every pro bowl player at every position and you would have predicted the same things. 

Joe Douglas owed Sam Darnold nothing.  He didn't draft Darnold and his first offseason needed to focus primarily on what the team would look like in 2022, not 2020.  

If Darnold doesn't want Douglas to draft his replacement in April, he can help his cause by winning some games down the stretch.  It's as simple as that.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Wrong.

Douglas was never rebuilding the mess he was left behind in one off-season and that has been abundantly clear to anyone paying attention.

He didn;t try to fix it all in one off-season, but he tried to make incremental improvements. History has shown that the organization matters more than the QB picked. Douglas hasn't done much to create a team for any incoming rookie. If the Jets don't get Lawrence, they are extremely ****ed.

In 1.5 years as GM, Joe Douglas has only added ONE above average player to the team. That is abysmal. 

• Thumb Down 2

6 minutes ago, hamat711 said:

He didn;t try to fix it all in one off-season, but he tried to make incremental improvements. History has shown that the organization matters more than the QB picked. Douglas hasn't done much to create a team for any incoming rookie. If the Jets don't get Lawrence, they are extremely ****ed.

In 1.5 years as GM, Joe Douglas has only added ONE above average player to the team. That is abysmal. 

If you're going to talk about what Douglas has added to the roster, you have to extend that discussion to draft picks.  Gaining two 1st rounders and a 3rd rounder (I.E. essentially a Khalil Mack package) for a tremendously overrated Box Safety counts for something, no?  Those are assets. 

Becton and Mims will be above average players in this league, with Becton being elite and Mims ending up a bonafide WR1 or at least a high-end WR2.  I also think at least one other player from the 2020 draft class will end up in that category as well, with Bryce Hall being my top candidate at the moment.  

I also think McGovern will figure it out, whether it be at C or G.  He was most certainly an above average G/C prior to his arrival in New York, and his dropoff in play is unexplainable at the moment.

2 minutes ago, hamat711 said:

He wants his own QB, Head Coach, and he is holding on to his war chest of money and draft picks until they are in place.  It sucks that Sam was sacrificed for it, but that’s the political aspect of the sport.

Also, if you can’t see the upside in some of the young players, outside of Becton, that he’s brought in, you haven’t been paying attention.  There are plenty of young pieces that have shown great upside this year, especially as of late.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

You did predict and you were right.  

However there are two reasons why you are wrong.....

First JD seems like he is an outstanding judge of talent. His draft picks look like players and that will help the next QB for next year Sam, Lawrence or Fields.   

Second, JD is admits mistakes and is willing to make adjustments off if those  mistakes. 

JD based on what he has done so far on Becton and Mims get an A- to me. 

Oh and by the way I lived Buffalo during their SB runs — went to UB for graduate school.  

In two years we are going to get ya!

Outstanding Judge of Talent? 

He completely whiffed on free agency.

Everyone and their mother knew the Jets were going offense in the draft. His options were Becton, Wirfs, Jeudy, and Lamb. Anybody on this message board could have ended up with a good pick with those options. 

It is way too early to say anything about Mims.

Davis is below average, and Zuniga hasn't played a snap.

His draft class gets a incomplete.

I'm not even from Buffalo. I just like rooting for the only team in my home state.

46 minutes ago, hamat711 said:

Say what you want about Darnold, but weapons matter and hide flaws. Hopkins and Diggs turned their QBs into MVP candidates. Burrow and Herbert are off to a fast start because they have plenty of weapons. Meanwhile Tua just got benched because his only weapon was Devante Parker.

Interesting Darnold take, dude, but have you considered this one?

On 4/18/2020 at 8:49 PM, hamat711 said:

When is it ever Darnold's fault?

All I ever hear is..............

Coaching

Weapons

O-line

Mono

Injuries

At what point does Darnold deserve blame? 

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, heymangold said:

@hamat711 please tell me, who last offseason, was JD going to get that would have made this team so much better?  Don’t forget, this was his first offseason.

Keep Robby, overpay Conklin or sign Darryl Williams. Darryl Williams has returned to All-pro form and he is making a thrid of what Fant makes.

Also try and get some sort of pass rusher. Everson Griffin, Yannick, Leonard Floyd, Dunlap, Mario Addison, Ogbah, and Aldon Smith were all available at some point.

He also needed to make a move that wasn't obvious. Bills got Diggs, Cardinals got Hop. Browns got Wyatt Teller the year before. 

Douglas has been aggressive trading away talent, but he hasn't been aggressive in acquiring talent.