Joe Douglas failed to support Sam Darnold, so why do people think he will do better with Trevor Lawrence?

hamat711

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

100%, yes I do.

What tipped me off?  That he took talent off the team and didnt replace it this year?  That he didnt use $30-$40 mil of cap space on WRs or CBs?  Didnt go for a single big name type FA that would have helped the team this season?  Especially when all the WRs went down, JD didnt even try to sign someone to help?  

Fact is it JD was happy with the team he put out on the field on opening day, if he thought he did all he could do to win games he needs to be fired today.  The Jets dont suck and lose games because JD missed on FA's, they suck and lose games because JD didnt sign players that could help.  

So yeah, I believe this is a tear up and why he didnt do the usual slow build up

Pretty much this.

I’ve been saying this since the off-season:

Joe Douglas’s actions said that he was not fully committed to Sam and he most certainly wasn’t going to blow his war chest on him and Gase.  The draft picks he made also showed that he was taking more of a long-term approach.  The only people left denying this are people that don’t want to admit that Douglas was always planning on bringing in his own QB and head coach.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, shawn306 said:

Darnold is gone already IMHO. They (Darnold and the Jets) have put themselves in a no win situation. If Darnold comes back and acutally wins some games and the Jets drop from the 1st pick to say 3rd or 4th pick he make the Jamal Adams hate look like kindergarten stuff compared to what he will get from Jets fans.

A majority of Jets fans have already moved on from Darnold. At this point I don't even care anymore because even if the Jets get Lawrence they will find a way to screw it up with either another trainwreck of a coach or they won't build around him, etc, etc, etc.

Face it folks. SOJ forever.

While many out here moved on, the Jets I don't think have moved from Sam Darnold and my reasoning is simple if they put Sam out there for these remaining games the Jets are going to win at least two of their remaining games and that will, I believe, put them outside of the Lawrence sweepstakes.

One other point here that many overlook is that Sam Darnold is a good guy..... A GOOD GUY.... and yes that matters.

Sam never once said look at the crap this team gave me to work with from the OL to the skill position players.  Darnold never once criticized his "HC GURU" who uses a no motion offense that didn't permit Sam play options at the line of scrimmage. 

Sam has been a good soldier, we may discount that but the Jets can't at a time when the Jamal Adams of the world literally lambasted and pooped all over the organization to get off the team.

No, the Jets can't act like fans, and if they don't IMO they will be saying good bye to Lawrence.....

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

OK, then youre telling us he thought he was improving the team, did all he could do.

Woody should fire him, immediately 

Its more likely somewhere in between . He was dumping salaries and giving out only 1 year contracts to start the necessary rebuild. I feel he probably thought he'd have enough talent to be a mid tier team that if everything broke right could push for a playoff spot.

Then Covid hit, his Oline that was completely rebuilt didn't get the necessary live reps its needed, injuries piled up all over the place and finally his QB didn't take the next step up while actually regressing. 

So I think JD was starting a rebuild with no intention of blowing it up or tanking. 

The only person in the Jets FO that I have any confidence in. Been GM for only a 1 1/2 years:

Top Moves: Becton , Mann, and  Mims without a full years experience in COVID wierd year look like they could be pro bowl type players, Ashton Davis, Hall look like they belong , signed Fant who turned out much better than anyone advertised, two first round picks and a 3d for Jamaal who we didnt want and is not a great player, 3d and a 5th For Leonard Williams who we were not going to sign.. 

Mediocre: Fickens, Perriman (as bad as things seemed he has more TDs that Robbie), Van Rotten,

Questionable (but still in progress) Morgan in the 4th,  Zuniga (history of injuries)

To Be Determined: Cameron Clarke, 

Fail: Not signing Robbie (maybe but the last few weeks have changed some minds on Perriman)

Bad Fails: Kaare Vedvik and Pierre Desir (both cut, what more do you want from a GM but to admit his mistakes and make cuts)

I will take my chances 

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I think he was going with his methodology. Whether that was the best he could do as far talent acquisition is a different question.

He easily could have spent a lot more money, brought in better players,  

He did nothing at key positions.  Where he had options to bring in help, had money to spend.

It was very telling to me

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, hamat711 said:

A QB doesn't solve all your problems. Look at Matt Stafford. Despite having a franchise QB for years, the Lions have never had sustained success.

There is a real chance the Jets go 0-16. Joe Douglas wasn't trying to tank, he was just that bad at constructing a roster. Now people wanna praise him for trading away a elite defender and hitting on a 1st round pick? Idzik did the same thing, and we know how that turned out.

He let a bad WR group get worse. The two starting corners he signed have already been cut. Despite major investments in the offensive line, the unit is still garbage outside of Becton. In one full off-season, Mekhi Becton and maybe Denzel Mims are the only players that he has added, that have proven they should be apart of the Jets long term plans. At that rate, the Jets will look like the current Lions. 

Say what you want about Gase, but his teams have never looked this bad.

Say what you want about Mac, but you can't put this all on him after Douglas whiffed on several free agent signing that should have improved the team.

Say what you want about Darnold, but weapons matter and hide flaws. Hopkins and Diggs turned their QBs into MVP candidates. Burrow and Herbert are off to a fast start because they have plenty of weapons. Meanwhile Tua just got benched because his only weapon was Devante Parker.

First off fck you, you f,cking fck.

Second, see the first item

Lastly, fck off

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

The only person in the Jets FO that I have any confidence in. Been GM for only a 1 1/2 years:

Top Moves: Becton , Mann, and  Mims without a full years experience in COVID wierd year look like they could be pro bowl type players, Ashton Davis, Hall look like they belong , signed Fant who turned out much better than anyone advertised, two first round picks and a 3d for Jamaal who we didnt want and is not a great player, 3d and a 5th For Leonard Williams who we were not going to sign.. 

Mediocre: Fickens, Perriman (as bad as things seemed he has more TDs that Robbie), Van Rotten,

Questionable (but still in progress) Morgan in the 4th,  Zuniga (history of injuries)

To Be Determined: Cameron Clarke, 

Fail: Not signing Robbie (maybe but the last few weeks have changed some minds on Perriman)

Bad Fails: Kaare Vedvik and Pierre Desir (both cut, what more do you want from a GM but to admit his mistakes and make cuts)

I will take my chances 

My general feeling pretty much agrees with this, but if you are counting Fant as a top move then Kalil was a monstrous miss.  Wilson was a fairly big miss too, even if he only cost a 6th.  Similarly Hairston.  I am sure there are more, but so far more misses than hits and they were cutting close already.

9 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Douglas certainly isn’t an innovator or someone that’s going to turn the course of this franchise around by himself. You just have to hope he has a better draft process/eye for talent than the previous guys. Keep it simple, the Jets are never going to be at the forefront of change and we just have to live with that. At least he seems knowledgeable enough to pull off trading down, which Maccagnan couldn’t do. 

It's more than just an eye for talent.  That's just part of the battle.  It's understanding the league and what wins - how to structure a team, where to put your high priced resources.

That was Mac's biggest problem by far - he fundamentally didn't understand the league and what it takes to win.  Continuing to draft interior defensive players early year after year and handing out big contracts to interior defensive players was criminal and unbelievably incompetent.

We don't know how JD thinks yet.  That's what we're going to learn this offseason.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, hamat711 said:

A QB doesn't solve all your problems. Look at Matt Stafford. Despite having a franchise QB for years, the Lions have never had sustained success.

There is a real chance the Jets go 0-16. Joe Douglas wasn't trying to tank, he was just that bad at constructing a roster. Now people wanna praise him for trading away a elite defender and hitting on a 1st round pick? Idzik did the same thing, and we know how that turned out.

He let a bad WR group get worse. The two starting corners he signed have already been cut. Despite major investments in the offensive line, the unit is still garbage outside of Becton. In one full off-season, Mekhi Becton and maybe Denzel Mims are the only players that he has added, that have proven they should be apart of the Jets long term plans. At that rate, the Jets will look like the current Lions. 

Say what you want about Gase, but his teams have never looked this bad.

Say what you want about Mac, but you can't put this all on him after Douglas whiffed on several free agent signing that should have improved the team.

Say what you want about Darnold, but weapons matter and hide flaws. Hopkins and Diggs turned their QBs into MVP candidates. Burrow and Herbert are off to a fast start because they have plenty of weapons. Meanwhile Tua just got benched because his only weapon was Devante Parker.

please take you lame sh*t somewhere else

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

He easily could have spend a lot more money, brought in better players,  

He did nothing at key positions.  Where he had options to bring in, had money to spend.

It was telling to me

I'm not convinced his way is what works but I think he is showing discipline in sticking to what he believes and it doesn't appear to be big ticket FA

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

While many out here moved on, the Jets I don't think have moved from Sam Darnold and my reasoning is simple if they put Sam out there for these remaining games the Jets are going to win at least two of their remaining games and that will, I believe, put them outside of the Lawrence sweepstakes.

What possible reason has Darnold given you to make you think they're winning 2+ games with him under center?

Have you been watching him play this season, at all?

We're finishing 0-16, with Darnold sh*tting his pants in basically each of his remaining games.  Lock it in.  There's zero reason to believe in him whatsoever.  We've already seen the best QB play we're going to see this season, and it was two solid halves of football from Joe Flacco.

15 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

What possible reason has Darnold given you to make you think they're winning 2+ games with him under center?

Have you been watching him play this season, at all?

We're finishing 0-16, with Darnold sh*tting his pants in basically each of his remaining games.  Lock it in.  There's zero reason to believe in him whatsoever.  We've already seen the best QB play we're going to see this season, and it was two solid halves of football from Joe Flacco.

Watch and learn son... :) 

Watch and learn..

Obviously you are much much younger than me and have yet to see the full improbability of being a Jets fan.......

All I can say is......

Check In G Eazy GIF by RADIO.COM

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

8 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Watch and learn..

Obviously you are much much younger than me and have yet to see the full improbability of being a Jets fan.......

All I can say is......

I see you've been around as long as I have.  How naive to think that there won't be some event that screws up the tank for Trevor.  The Jets train always derails at some point along the way. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I see you've been around as long as I have.  How naive to think that there won't be some event that screws up the tank for Trevor.  The Jets train always derails at some point along the way. 

Yup.  All us pessimistic old f**kers.  As much as we have lost over the years, we just don't seem to be capable of losing right.  I fully expect that we will win 1 game.  Finish tied with Jax at 1-15, and become the first 1 win team in NFL history not to get the #1 pick.  It just seems like our destiny.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

18 minutes ago, Lith said:

Yup.  All us pessimistic old f**kers.  As much as we have lost over the years, we just don't seem to be capable of losing right.  I fully expect that we will win 1 game.  Finish tied with Jax at 1-15, and become the first 1 win team in NFL history not to get the #1 pick.  It just seems like our destiny.

It’s all but guaranteed. 

4 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Watch and learn..

All I can say is......

See what?  All you've seen is failure as a Jets fan.  All I've seen is failure.  All Darnold has done is fail.  "You'll see" should involve more failure, not success.

The Jets may well win a couple games the rest of the way to screw up the tank.  But it won't be because of Darnold.  They'll win in spite of him, if they win at all.