Jump to content

NY Daily News writer quits over being Manish's puppet and reason for Manish losing credentials exposed.


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I am not arguing that at all. But, the DN is telling us that they only subscribe to certain ethics. That is not against the law.

Choose from whom you consume your news.

Correct. This is the REAL point of the story. 

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey everyone! Long time no see! Just wanted to pop in and say hi (But definitely not under my obnoxious old user name...apologies to anyone who had to deal with me as an immature teenager)!

What led to Manish losing his Jets credentials? A lot of things. But the last straw was when Manish decided to harass Jets GM Joe Douglas’ child at a baseball game. A low life loser would be the

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I am not arguing that at all. But, the DN is telling us that they only subscribe to certain ethics. That is not against the law.

Choose from whom you consume your news.

Yes, we should all choose our sources wisely.  With that said, do the Jets, as an organization or the NFL as an industry have a responsibility to protect their employees (HC & GM) or quasi-employees (reporters).  Will the NFL protect the shield?  Or, will the NFL protect the bad actor?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jetscode1 said:

Yes, but do the Jets have the right to ensure he never get credentialed?  I personally would like to get the ownership's take on this story.  Will they take steps to prevent this from ever happening again to their employees (Gase & JD)? 

The other half of the story, several female reporters reported inappropriate conduct from Mehta.  I would argue this harmed their career.  Some may have had their mid-level bosses attempt to contact the perpetrator's boss to eliminate said conduct and this was unsuccessful.  The story obviously needs more attention due to the fact the NYDN is still trying to figure out how to bring him back.  As Brandeis offered, "sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants."

The jets didn’t ban the daily news just MM. 

and the other point means this guy should not work in journalism again.  He will though

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

The jets didn’t ban the daily news just MM. 

and the other point means this guy should not work in journalism again.  He will though

Yes, is the ban permanent?  I'd like this question asked to the owners. 

To your second point, that is the problem.  I'd at least like to see a brave journalist ask Mr. Goodell what the NFL can do to prevent this or does he/the NFL care?

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jetscode1 said:

Yes, is the ban permanent?  I'd like this question asked to the owners. 

To your second point, that is the problem.  I'd at least like to see a brave journalist ask Mr. Goodell what the NFL can do to prevent this or does he/the NFL care?

Every year, writers need to reapply for credentials to cover a team. He was banned for the rest of the season. They have the right to deny his credentials every season going forward. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

One would have to wonder what his contract structure is like. 

We know that the DN most likely knew about all of these transgressions as he had his credentials taken away. That they did not release him then, meant that they gave tacit approval. Well, if they decide to fire Mehta now, what would be the grounds? Just because those transgressions became public? That is not really a reason to fire. They missed their chance based on conduct. Mehta may have some recourse to keep fight for his salary then. DN does not need to leak any more money.

Maybe they wait until the end of the season. They need someone to "cover" the Jets at least until the Gase firing. We have been told countless times that Mehta has "sources" (although the collective will of Jetnation supposedly does not believe this), and this would help some juicy columns down the stretch for additional clicks.

And in the end, this is what it is seemingly become for the DN. Clicks. Bad news and scandal create more clicks. And that is the moral of this story.

I think they can fire him now based on the bad PR. Even if they knew about it & turned a blind eye to it, his only value was as an attention whore; if no one is paying attention anymore he has no purpose. That he has no credentials and can't get them back basically ever, is also grounds enough. Anyone regularly reading and/or twitter-following Mehta is purely because he works for the DN. That dries up once he's fired; the tail doesn't wag the dog. The DN signing Mehta wasn't exactly WNBC signing Howard.

He may have a contract whereby he still gets paid even if he's let go, so long as the paper can't prove any wrongdoing to which they didn't give tacit approval (if not outright sanction). But in that case it's a sunk cost anyway, unless they set him up to get busted over something truly humiliating or even criminal. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think they can fire him now based on the bad PR. Even if they knew about it & turned a blind eye to it, his only value was as an attention whore; if no one is paying attention anymore he has no purpose. That he has no credentials and can't get them back basically ever, is also grounds enough. Anyone regularly reading and/or twitter-following Mehta is purely because he works for the DN. That dries up once he's fired; the tail doesn't wag the dog. The DN signing Mehta wasn't exactly WNBC signing Howard.

He may have a contract whereby he still gets paid even if he's let go, so long as the paper can't prove any wrongdoing to which they didn't give tacit approval (if not outright sanction). But in that case it's a sunk cost anyway, unless they set him up to get busted over something truly humiliating or even criminal. 

Ehhhh it’s the Daily News. I don’t think the “bad PR” bothers them so much. He got plenty of bad PR with the burner account saga.

Unless if the NYDN takes a hard stand against a breach of journalism ethics, I don’t see him leaving. Might get reassigned away from the Jets/NFL so he can get credentials elsewhere. Who knows. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

No articles from him about yesterday's game.  Looks like he's a goner.

I sure hope so.  The guy is an absolute creep and it has been a major downer having him report, and even influence hiring decisions, on my favorite team.  I imagine that being a GM or coach in New York would be hard enough without dealing with his crap.  Also, having guys like him on the beat makes both jobs less attractive.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, emesola said:

Every year, writers need to reapply for credentials to cover a team. He was banned for the rest of the season. They have the right to deny his credentials every season going forward. 

If you ever need an expert of the "media credential rejection process" feel free to reach out to me. I know how the system works, what the form letter looks like, what a no response means. I know everything there is to know about getting rejected for press passes.  :)

  • Sad 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, emesola said:

I think this is his Twitter. A ton of political posts. Very small following. This should be interesting.

https://twitter.com/dpyoung13

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Question - I recall when the news first broke that MM had his credentials, not only revoked for the Jets, but that the NFL revoked his credentials entirely.

Is this true?   Or is he free to go cover another team like the Giants or Eagles?

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

My new plan:

1. Whitewash my JN account.

2. Learn how to use adverbs.

3. Start a semi-serious sports blog.

4. Get hired by the New York Post to cover the Jets for $23k per year.

5. Win a Pulitzer for my article about how dating Megan Thee Stallion ruined Trevor Lawrence’s Jets career and what that means for the future of American Christianity.

6. Show up to accept the Pulitzer wearing a clown mask and a #33 Jets jersey but with “ANGELO BERKOWITZ” written in Sharpie on white gaff tape where the “Adams” nameplate was. 

7. Win “The Ultimate Troll Award” to pair with my Pulitzer. 
 

cc: @Gastineau Lives

Never thought I would say this, but you will need to be a little more smarmy.

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Question - I recall when the news first broke that MM had his credentials, not only revoked for the Jets, but that the NFL revoked his credentials entirely.

Is this true?   Or is he free to go cover another team like the Giants or Eagles?

He is not a credentialed NFL reporter. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think they can fire him now based on the bad PR. Even if they knew about it & turned a blind eye to it, his only value was as an attention whore; if no one is paying attention anymore he has no purpose. That he has no credentials and can't get them back basically ever, is also grounds enough. Anyone regularly reading and/or twitter-following Mehta is purely because he works for the DN. That dries up once he's fired; the tail doesn't wag the dog. The DN signing Mehta wasn't exactly WNBC signing Howard.

He may have a contract whereby he still gets paid even if he's let go, so long as the paper can't prove any wrongdoing to which they didn't give tacit approval (if not outright sanction). But in that case it's a sunk cost anyway, unless they set him up to get busted over something truly humiliating or even criminal. 

As long as he keeps getting clicks the NYDN won't care that he doesn't have credentials or he's a trash person. He can be the person Jets fans love to hate who will inevitably get clicks just for people who will hate-read his content and Giants/Pats fans who love any opportunity to dunk on the Jets. They will wash him away from being the Jets correspondent so there is the actual Jets reporting on one side and the garbage editorializing on the other. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

My new plan:

1. Whitewash my JN account.

2. Learn how to use adverbs.

3. Start a semi-serious sports blog.

4. Get hired by the New York Post to cover the Jets for $23k per year.

5. Win a Pulitzer for my article about how dating Megan Thee Stallion ruined Trevor Lawrence’s Jets career and what that means for the future of American Christianity.

6. Show up to accept the Pulitzer wearing a clown mask and a #33 Jets jersey but with “ANGELO BERKOWITZ” written in Sharpie on white gaff tape where the “Adams” nameplate was. 

7. Win “The Ultimate Troll Award” to pair with my Pulitzer. 
 

cc: @Gastineau Lives

 

2020-11-30 (2).png

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

My new plan:

1. Whitewash my JN account.

2. Learn how to use adverbs.

3. Start a semi-serious sports blog.

4. Get hired by the New York Post to cover the Jets for $23k per year.

5. Win a Pulitzer for my article about how dating Megan Thee Stallion ruined Trevor Lawrence’s Jets career and what that means for the future of American Christianity.

6. Show up to accept the Pulitzer wearing a clown mask and a #33 Jets jersey but with “ANGELO BERKOWITZ” written in Sharpie on white gaff tape where the “Adams” nameplate was. 

7. Win “The Ultimate Troll Award” to pair with my Pulitzer. 
 

cc: @Gastineau Lives

Scratch # 7 off the list, you already accomplished that.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Maxman said:

I think this is his Twitter. A ton of political posts. Very small following. This should be interesting.

https://twitter.com/dpyoung13

Don't feel bad Max. You've given passionate Jet fans a true outlet to read about and discuss our team and there's nothing (whatsoever) that media pundit Jet writer's can tell us about our team in which that we don't already know; because Jet fans here on your JN watch every snap of every game, too and really don't need beat writers to enlighten us (at all). 

And I'd much rather come to JN to read about our Jets than some paid to write knee jerk reaction types of NY bear writers (who I can't stand and purposely avoid reading their fake articles) etc.

Thnx for all you've done and all you do and thnx for not selling us out like Sooth did to us @ JI. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

My new plan:

1. Whitewash my JN account.

2. Learn how to use adverbs.

3. Start a semi-serious sports blog.

4. Get hired by the New York Post to cover the Jets for $23k per year.

5. Win a Pulitzer for my article about how dating Megan Thee Stallion ruined Trevor Lawrence’s Jets career and what that means for the future of American Christianity.

6. Show up to accept the Pulitzer wearing a clown mask and a #33 Jets jersey but with “ANGELO BERKOWITZ” written in Sharpie on white gaff tape where the “Adams” nameplate was. 

7. Win “The Ultimate Troll Award” to pair with my Pulitzer. 
 

cc: @Gastineau Lives

You've always busted my chops over the years man but I appreciate your humor and JN wouldn't be the same without you; you're just, different lol

And do they really only get paid within the 20 k's? I'd imagine at least 50k, no? How can they even survive or eat off 20k?

And to think as a young kid growing up I wanted to become a Jets journalist/writer in order to get paid for a passion of mine 🤣 man oh man was I wrong on what I envisioned sports writers to make for a living 😂

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Defense Wins Championships said:

You've always busted my chops over the years man but I appreciate your humor and JN wouldn't be the same without you; you're just, different lol

And do they really only get paid within the 20 k's? I'd imagine at least 50k, no? How can they even survive or eat off 20k?

And to think as a young kid growing up I wanted to become a Jets journalist/writer in order to get paid for a passion of mine 🤣 man oh man was I wrong on I envisioned sports writers to make for a living 😂

In my first journalism job working for USA Today out of college, I made $35k. I’d imagine you make much more as a veteran journalist in a big media market like NY. 

Capped out making ~$45k. Was not worth the stress/BS for that crappy pay. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...