Thanksgiving Eve/Thanksgiving thread

JTJet

Thankful for all you knuckleheads this year, while the year has been a sh*t show from start to finish (oh AND the Jets season has been as well), this board is a needed reprieve sometimes. 

Any favorite turkey day memories? Football stories? Any movies to recommend over the long weekend? 

Couple buddies and I rented an AMC theater for black friday to do a private showing of National Lampoons: Christmas Vacation, having some of our friends who experienced canceled turkey day plans bring their families. 

(DISCLAIMER: Buttfumble stories not welcomed) 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

2 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Thankful for all you knuckleheads this year, while the year has been a sh*t show from start to finish (oh AND the Jets season has been as well), this board is a needed reprieve sometimes. 

Any favorite turkey day memories? Football stories?  Any movies to recommend over the long weekend? 

Couple buddies and I rented an AMC theater for black friday to do a private showing of National Lampoons: Christmas Vacation, having some of our friends who experienced canceled turkey day plans bring their families. 

Is booze allowed?????

• Upvote 1

Just now, section314 said:

Is booze allowed?????

That I'm not sure lol. The AMCs here do serve beer, but not sure how it works for theater rental. 

To rent an entire theater and select from a list of 20 previous released movies, it's only like 100 bucks, new movies are like 250. You can have 20 people in the theater. 

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family JTJet. 

My mom, my two older sisters, my wife and my brothers wife will all be in the kitchen tomorrow preparing for a feast while our daughters all soak up knowledge from the woman of our family while me, my older brother and my nephews will be throwing down on the grill I'm hungry just thinking about it ahhhh my favorite Thanksgiving game ever was 1998 I was only 13 in middle school I remember Randy Moss going off as a rookie and that game had our household in South Ozone Park Queens going crazy (I miss those days of Queens) my family always rooted against Dallas one of the best shootouts ever that's by far my most memorable Thanksgiving game (even moreso than 2010's Jets win over Cincinnati). This game ever since my childhood days always stuck with me as Thanksgiving memories. 

Edit; Looks like that game left a lasting memory on a lot of us!!! 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

+1 on thanks to JN, Max and this board. I already wasted way too much time here before this mess of 2020 hit.

As for Thanksgiving I had to look it up - the Jets are 1-3 on Thanksgiving in my viewing lifetime. 26-10 over Cincinnati in 2010 being the only bright spot.

Most memorable football memory? Two words. Leon. Lett.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

I got up at 6 a.m. and I'll probably still be cooking at 10 p.m. That's OK, I really enjoy it; and the Negronis start at 6 p.m. I'll post some pictures later! Fck pictures of the pies! Pictures of the Negronis!

P..S.: I have some great Thanksgiving fare on right now. Christopher Lee's 'Dracula'! I have a Halloween hangover. I watch horror movies during the most pagan day of the year, too! Christmas!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family JTJet. 

My mom, my two older sisters, my wife and my brothers wife will all be in the kitchen tomorrow preparing for a feast while our daughters all soak up knowledge from the woman of our family while me, my older brother and my nephews will be throwing down on the grill I'm hungry just thinking about it ahhhh my favorite Thanksgiving game ever was 1998 I was only 13 in middle school I remember Randy Moss going off as a rookie and that game had our household in South Ozone Park Queens going crazy (I miss those days of Queens) my family always rooted against Dallas one of the best shootouts ever that's by far my most memorable Thanksgiving game (even moreso than 2010's Jets win over Cincinnati). This game ever since my childhood days always stuck with me as Thanksgiving memories. 

Edit; Looks like that game left a lasting memory on a lot of us!!! 

My best friend in the entire world is a Cowboys fan and his family is absolutely DIE HARD. I remember being stuck on the telephone with him through parts of the game, hearing all of them yelling in the background. It was hilarious. 

Thanksgiving has always been a I wouldn't say a sad day for me but a day where I miss ALL of my family being together in one home. When we left Queens for Florida my family got separated there used to be 23 of us living in one home in South Ozone Park of Queens we lived on the same street as PS 100 on 118th 10 adults and 13 kids (1 older brother 2 older sisters and the rest my cousins from three aunts) and my grandma was still alive but after moving to Florida one of my aunts and her husband and my cousins stayed in NY and moved to Brentwood, another one of my aunts and her husband and my cousins moved to NC and my other aunt and her husband my cousins moved to Orlando 2 hours away from us here in St. Pete and my uncle who I'm named after the only son of my grandmother moved to NJ and ever since moving to Florida Thanksgiving is the day where I MISS my family childhood memories the most and wouldn't change those days for the life of me and would give anything to get them back the 9 adults under my Grandmother were able to save a crazy amount of money over the years and as kids I miss all the fights we'd get into over video games ahhhh I miss those times and Thanksgiving makes me thankful for everything my grandmother and family sacrificed for us as kids in Queens to one day have better lives with homes of our own; happy Thanksgiving JN!

Screenshot_20201125-142628.thumb.png.06fb4bee5fed4b39a6f8f2ca84b67fc7.pngThats where it all started for me

7 minutes ago, jetophile said:

I got up at 6 a.m. and I'll probably still be cooking at 10 p.m. That's OK, I really enjoy it; and the Negronis start at 6 p.m. I'll post some pictures later! Fck pictures of the pies! Pictures of the Negronis!

P..S.: I have some great Thanksgiving fare on right now. Christopher Lee's 'Dracula'! I have a Halloween hangover. I watch horror movies during the most pagan day of the year, too! Christmas!

Lol I am actually watching the old Claude Rains Invisible Man as we speak, my personal fav of the Universal monsters. 

All alone before guests get here tomorrow, rainy day, dog sleeping on me, chillin. 

17 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

+1 on thanks to JN, Max and this board. I already wasted way too much time here before this mess of 2020 hit.

As for Thanksgiving I had to look it up - the Jets are 1-3 on Thanksgiving in my viewing lifetime. 26-10 over Cincinnati in 2010 being the only bright spot.

Most memorable football memory? Two words. Leon. Lett.

Leon Lett was a pretty good player overall but his two gaffs are so legendary.

55 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Any favorite turkey day memories? Football stories? Any movies to recommend over the long weekend? 

I remember one time the Jets played the Cowboys on Thanksgiving not too long ago.  I was so excited for the turkey day game to be US. 

We sucked so hard and got beaten.  I didn't like that. 

Thanks to @Maxman and all the rest of you guys for being JetNation. This place is just my fave.

Canadian thanksgiving is about the 2nd week of October.

I used to celebrate it and then take the day off work and celebrate American thanksgiving and have another turkey and watch football all day.

Then there is Christmas, I managed to pull of Turkey dinner feasts in October, November and December.

I freaking love turkey.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Lol I am actually watching the old Claude Rains Invisible Man as we speak, my personal fav of the Universal monsters. 

All alone before guests get here tomorrow, rainy day, dog sleeping on me, chillin. 

Nice! That's what I call the "dog fort". I loovvve the dog fort! Make sure you shove a lot of pillows around the both of you, preferably with the dog's head sticking out of a blanket. Foreign invaders can never penetrate the dog fort, try as they may. Who are these foreign Invaders, you may ask? FAMILY!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, jetophile said:

Nice! That's what I call the "dog fort". I loovvve the dog fort! Make sure you shove a lot of pillows around the both of you, preferably with the dog's head sticking out of a blanket. Foreign invaders can never penetrate the dog fort, try as they may. Who are these foreign Invaders, you may ask? FAMILY!

20201125_151916.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

48 minutes ago, JTJet said:

20201125_151916.jpg

Hahahahaha, perfect. This is also when you tell your dog that he/she is a genius, that he/she is THE BEST DOG EVER. Dog answers by squinting eyes just a litttttllle bit smaller, holds for a second, then releases and goes back to original squint of contentment position.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

for my fellow inmates in the asylum known as JetFandom

i share this fight vid...      sublime commentary

https://twitter.com/KFCBarstool/status/1331001172291891205?s=20 

Dude had some wise words for life while watching a 2am hobo fight. 

"If y'all wanted to end it.. just quit, both just dap up, call it quits, and go" 

2 hours ago, JTJet said:

They say Chevy Chase is a huge nozzle. 

Just took stuffing for tomorrow out of the oven.  Made a pumpkin pie and chocolate cake earlier.  Also have my vegetables blanched and potatoes peeled and in water (refrigerated) for tomorrow.  Roasting various chicken parts tomorrow as we prefer it over turkey.  

Getting too old for the cooking cleanup extravaganza.   Relaxing now with a nice French Malbec.

With so many people hungry and ill, especially thankful this year for everything I have on this earth.  Wishing you all and your families a very safe and Happy Thanksgiving.

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!

I'm gonna crash muchmemory's house!

:-)

I'm gonna be drinking some serious wine tomorrow...

lol  In non-Covid times, I'd tell you to come on over.    I always cook in the style of my mother, who if you were bringing an extra guest she'd put on another roast or pound of pasta.   Never want to make "brutta figura".  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Do you all brine your turkeys?  I finally tried that about 2 years ago and became totally  sold on it.  It seemed to really make a difference in how juicy it was, even being very well cooked.  (I like to make sure all fowl is really well cooked.)

I used to brine mine back in the day u til I switched to frying my turkey. 

I cajun inject and dry rub over night. Mix that with frying, and it's a whole new world. The meat is WAY juicer then anything you can do in an oven. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, JTJet said:

I used to brine mine back in the day u til I switched to frying my turkey. 

I cajun inject and dry rub over night. Mix that with frying, and it's a whole new world. The meat is WAY juicer then anything you can do in an oven. 

Please describe this frying bit, do you mean deep fry in oil?

Here's wishing all my JETS brothers and sisters a very Happy Thanksgiving Holiday. No special stories from me, just down here in GA visiting my mom with my wife. I'm making Italian Turkey this year since there are only the 3 of us. Just in case some of you don't know what Italian Turkey is, it's Lasagna.

Happy Holiday everyone.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, JTJet said:

In NY deer hunting season for god knows what reason at least used to start on Thanksgiving Day. My aunt and her family lived in the sticks and hunting was huge for them. One Thanksgiving I bet my dad that they would talk about the morning hunting before they said hello. I won.

On a serious note I would give quite a lot to have one more Thanksgiving with my family.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

42 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Yes deep fried turkey. Once you go deep fried, you never, ever go back to using an oven. 

It is so much quicker to do and provides a much tastier final product.

fried-turkey.jpg

It is but it is also extremely dangerous even for cautious careful people.

Per Fox News, every year, deep-fryer fires are responsible for five deaths, 60 injuries, and the destruction of 900 homes. 

That said Bon Appetit.