Dcat

Thankful for Marty Lyons

Thank you very much for this thread!!

Marty is one of the reasons why I can still hold my head up high and say....

Thank God I’m a Jets fan.....

• Upvote 2

He's such a good man he's better/stronger than me because death does something to me and the innocence of kids it would just bother me too much having a 9 year old daughter of my own to ever think of her being sick I'm too weak it would break me but man I respect that man so much that tlittle girl telling him she's already seen the angels broke me got the best of me those were the last words my grandma told to my mom the angels are here she said and less than 5 minutes later she went happy Thanksgiving Lyons if you ever read this you're a hero man thank you for doing what many of us can't do from within you're a freaking hero man 

On 11/25/2020 at 7:27 PM, Dcat said:

One of my favorite Marty Lyons moments.  And Ben Drief called on Gastineau, but it was Marty sitting on Kelly's chest.

Remember 78,000 laughing hysterically in unison when the ref said all that. 

Nice @Dcat  I have a real soft spot for Marty. Stellar human being. I was so upset when he had a stroke, and thankfully he is doing well. One of my favorite Jets ever. He was so nice to my Daddy when he was sick, and I still have Marty's business card from The Marty Lyons Foundation. Wonderful person, and he played with a lot of passion. He truly CARED when the Jets lost. I remember him hanging his head like his dog died when NE beat the Jets 56-3 in 1979. Brutal.

Plus, he was a bleeder, a good old-fashioned old school bleeder. It's actually pretty difficult to find photos where he doesn't have bloody knuckles or blood on his pants. Oh, and he kept right on walking when Richard Todd was choking out Steve Serby, haha.

AP_73183243557-795x1024.jpg

GettyImages-55920615-e1532401948865.jpg&

lol

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jetophile said:

Nice @Dcat  I have a real soft spot for Marty. Stellar human being. I was so upset when he had a stroke, and thankfully he is doing well. One of my favorite Jets ever. He was so nice to my Daddy when he was sick, and I still have Marty's business card from The Marty Lyons Foundation. Wonderful person, and he played with a lot of passion. He truly CARED when the Jets lost. I remember him hanging his head like his dog died when NE beat the Jets 56-3 in 1979. Brutal.

Plus, he was a bleeder, a good old-fashioned old school bleeder. It's actually pretty difficult to find photos where he doesn't have bloody knuckles or blood on his pants. Oh, and he kept right on walking when Richard Todd was choking out Steve Serby, haha.

Well said Jeto.  When I think of what a Jet player should be, Marty Lyons is first image in my mind always. Thanks for the Serby note... I didn't know that.  Adds a nice splash to the famous locker incident.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Well said Jeto.  When I think of what a Jet player should be, Marty Lyons is first image in my mind always. Thanks for the Serby note... I didn't know that.  Adds a nice splash to the famous locker incident.

Hahaha, he knew it was going down, heard the commotion on the way to his locker, and whistled past the graveyard. LMAO. In other words, he didn't "intervene" until it was already over, if you can even call it intervening. Serby, it's been discussed before many times; but I honestly used to wonder if he was really a Jets fan at all. He used to the troll the team hard, regardless of whether they deserved it (which was often) or not. I never minded the honesty, I did mind the huge tool factor, and the Jets could never do anything right even when they occasionally did do something right. He could be an unbelievable tool to say the least, and I think it used to piss him off if the Jets didn't prove him right and blow it 100% of the time.  So yeah, HUGE TOOL. Not you, him. We used to make up Steve Serby headlines: 'JETS WIN SUPER BOWL FOR SECOND TIME IN TEAM HISTORY, STILL CAN'T WIN THE BIG ONE'.