Jump to content
BroadwayRay

What was your Darnold tipping point?

Recommended Posts

As we come upon another butt fumble anniversary, I was thinking ...

When did you become firmly convinced Darnold wasn’t the answer? For me, it was the New England game last year. Up until then, I saw enough good intermixed with the bad to keep me hopeful that he could become the franchise QB I envisioned when the Jets drafted him. That all changed with that one mind-boggling horror show of a game. It had nothing to do with the “ghosts.” It just became obvious to me he didn’t have the instincts and the football IQ to get it done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When the entire Jets offense, defense, special teams and coaches lined up for autographs from Lamar Jackson last year, so many people Ravens staff bought out extras 😬

 

I remember thinking damn that had to destroy Darnolds confidence, I know it killed the little I still had for him 😔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me is was year 3 and he still hadn't learned the throw the ball away or to set protection pre-snap, and his deep ball seemed worse rather than better.  

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great question! I was very concerned after opening day this year and really started to question him. But the clincher was the 9er game for me. It was then I realized the Jets were no more competitive than the Luke Falk led Jets of last year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It only took his first NFL pass which resulted in a Pick-6 before I started to question the pick of Sam. I was convinced that we already ruined him I looked @ my older brother in disbelief and he looked @ me in disgust and I told him it's already happening, isn't it? His response we just drafted another turnover prone USC Bust QB, didn't we? 

In all seriousness his response was absolutely amazing after his first ever pass turned pick-6 but nonetheless it only took him 1 play before scaring the SOJ out of the both of us. 

Week 9 of his rookie season against Miami is when serious doubt started to creep into my mind about Sam. 21/39 (53.8%), 0 TD's and 4 INTs including a pick 6 (and should've been 6 INTs because Miami literally dropped two easy INT's) with 3 INTs coming in the 2nd half.

He just looked like he didn't belong out there and rookie or not he was starting to remind me of Ryan Fitzpatrick week 17 of Buffalo as we fell to 3-6 on the year and I realized our 2018 season was already over after only scoring 6 points.                                                                

 

By the time his 0 TD/4 INT game came against N.E where he saw ghosts as a 2nd year kid last season in a 30 something to 0 loss is when I was pretty much done with him and started to think to myself of Trevor Lawrence and the following week after tossing another 3 INTs vs Jax that's when I was all the way done with him. 

He tried to win me over towards the end of last year and began to give me hope again but the damage was already done to me mentally as a fan and once 2020 started after week 1 against Buffalo and then week 2 against San Francisco is when I turned to complete 100% tank for Trevor and lose for Lawrence mode; I was finished. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was reading that he was struggling in training camp and that led to a hideous week 1 performance I knew it was over. 
 

Anyone who watched five minutes of that week 1 game knew the Jets were one of the worst teams in football and this year was not going to go well for Gase/Sam. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

It only took his first NFL pass which resulted in a Pick-6 before I started to question the pick of Sam. I was convinced that we already ruined him I looked @ my older brother in disbelief and he looked @ me in disgust and I told him it's already happening, isn't it? His response we just drafted another turnover prone USC Bust QB, didn't we? 

In all seriousness his response was absolutely amazing after his first ever pass turned pick-6 but nonetheless it only took him 1 play before scaring the SOJ out of the both of us. 

Week 9 of his rookie season against Miami is when serious doubt started to creep into my mind about Sam. 21/39 (53.8%), 0 TD's and 4 INTs including a pick 6 (and should've been 6 INTs because Miami literally dropped two easy INT's) with 3 INTs coming in the 2nd half.

He just looked like he didn't belong out there and rookie or not he was starting to remind me of Ryan Fitzpatrick week 17 of Buffalo as we fell to 3-6 on the year and I realized our 2018 season was already over after only scoring 6 points.                                                                

 

By the time his 0 TD/4 INT game came against N.E where he saw ghosts as a 2nd year kid last season in a 30 something to 0 loss is when I was pretty much done with him and started to think to myself of Trevor Lawrence and the following week after tossing another 3 INTs vs Jax that's when I was all the way done with him. 

He tried to win me over towards the end of last year and began to give me hope again but the damage was already done to me mentally as a fan and once 2020 started after week 1 against Buffalo and then week 2 against San Francisco is when I turned to complete 100% tank for Trevor and lose for Lawrence mode; I was finished. 

You probably would have been done with Josh Allen after his first two years as well. Look at him now. 
 

It was too early to write him off after 2018 and 2019. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, oatmeal said:

When the entire Jets offense, defense, special teams and coaches lined up for autographs from Lamar Jackson last year, so many people Ravens staff bought out extras 😬

 

I remember thinking damn that had to destroy Darnolds confidence, I know it killed the little I still had for him 😔

I bet they aren't lining up now that they have realized he was a one year wonder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When he just got pounded into submission by thebnobtslent this year. 

I still maintain hebwill go to pitt or sf and have a decent career 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, AFJF said:

Just knowing that he won't have enough time to unlearn what Gase taught him so no way to properly evaluate him as he heads toward having a huge price tag.  I think he'll be like Tannehill.  Escape Gase and become a better player. 

I wish the kid well.  He deserved better than what the Jets gave him.

Is it Gase's fault that Darnold literally made all the same mistakes in year 1 that he made in year 2 and 3, and also was making those mistakes at USC?

I'm assuming Gase sleeper-cells.

  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

As we come upon another butt fumble anniversary, I was thinking ...

When did you become firmly convinced Darnold wasn’t the answer? For me, it was the New England game last year. Up until then, I saw enough good intermixed with the bad to keep me hopeful that he could become the franchise QB I envisioned when the Jets drafted him. That all changed with that one mind-boggling horror show of a game. It had nothing to do with the “ghosts.” It just became obvious to me he didn’t have the instincts and the football IQ to get it done. 

 

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Maxman said:

He needed to take a huge step forward this year and he hasn't. I think he will be okay, he needs to go somewhere else and get away from the QB whisperer Gase.

If he could sit behind Big Ben, Brees or Rivers for a year he would be good to go. Too much to overcome here and he just hasn't been good enough.

Max - Any way we can go back to twitter imbed format where the tweets are more horizontal than vertical?  See above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The day we hired Adam Gase.

That’s not hyperbole either. I have texts dating back to December 2018 when rumors of Gase to the Jets were circling where I told my buddy that he’ll be the end of Darnold. Unfortunately, I was right.

Have to hope we land someone real for Lawrence, or it’ll be rinse wash repeat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Toward the end of last year, you could see he was not processing the game and picking things up as quickly as he should. Really, although he had flashes, he never seemed the same after the New England ghost debacle. He was really exposed in that game. The lack of deep ball accuracy hurts. 

The Jets did him no favors. He could very well be a nice reconstruction project. Just not here. Green makes him timid.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

For me is was year 3 and he still hadn't learned the throw the ball away or to set protection pre-snap, and his deep ball seemed worse rather than better.  

Flacco burning the Pats with no Becton was the final straw. Don't give we the "weapons" crap; go out there and do it. And Darnold can't, week after week. Hangs onto the ball like Ken O'Brien, has the accuracy and feel for the pocket like Geno Smith. The last couple of weeks, he sounds defeated and broken. If he was at least screaming how much he wanted to be out there, could respect that. I don't see that. Looks like a guy who's mostly floated on talent and doesn't really like or care about football beyond the money. He doesn't bleed for this. It doesn't consume him. That is less a knock than a statement of fact because he may recognize this is his high water mark. Darnold can probably bounce around the NFL a few years as a back up and salt away more coin and then go home to SoCal a wealthy young guy. Can't fault him for that, but it  is not greatness. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

When @jgb and @Jetsfan80 gave me the thumbs down for backing up Darnold. I was crushed. 😩

Don't remember doing it but glad it made such an impression

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chirorob said:

When he just got pounded into submission by thebnobtslent this year. 

I still maintain hebwill go to pitt or sf and have a decent career 

But based on what?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was no tipping point. He never started to build any confidence so there was never a point where he lost it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will let you know next year.  Barring a trade of Darnold or Morgan actually showing any promise whatsoever, Sam starts even if we draft another QB in the 1st round.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still not convinced that Darnold's a "bust", but the HOU/DET
game today is a reason to cut the cord early.  Both teams have
committed HUGE $$$ to QB's (Watson & Stafford) that generate good
stats but don't win.  They are now in NFL "purgatory" with QB's
making 30+ million a year, bad teams and cap constraints going 
forward in building good rosters.  Darnold has proven nothing
and is injury prone, to commit big money to him as his rookie
deal is running out is dangerous.  The opportunity to reset the
"QB dollar clock" with Lawrence or Fields can't be passed up on
the hope Darnold can show something and stay healthy for 6 games 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When he couldn't turn Berrios and Hogan into stars while being surrounded by opposing jerseys.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...