What was your Darnold tipping point?

BroadwayRay

I haven't hit my tipping point yet on his career, but my tipping point with this team has the been the results of three years of Jets football. He has more flashes as trash than he does treasure. The question isn't about his talent, at least for me. He has demonstrated that when his decisions are good, he can play winning football. Overall, his decision making process is not good. He takes too many sacks when he could have easily thrown it away. His reads can be atrocious at times. How many times do we see WIDE OPEN receivers get ignored?

With the right coaching, I see his ceiling as league average to Kirk Cousins. It's not happening on the Jets, and I wish him well in all of his future endeavors.  

4 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I haven't hit my tipping point yet on his career, but my tipping point with this team has the been the results of three years of Jets football. He has more flashes as trash than he does treasure. The question isn't about his talent, at least for me. He has demonstrated that when his decisions are good, he can play winning football. Overall, his decision making process is not good. He takes too many sacks when he could have easily thrown it away. His reads can be atrocious at times. How many times do we see WIDE OPEN receivers get ignored?

With the right coaching, I see his ceiling as league average to Kirk Cousins. It's not happening on the Jets, and I wish him well in all of his future endeavors.  

Agreed his decision-making hasn't been that good this year but I still think part of it is that the game hasn't slowed down for him yet because he's played under such crazy circumstances (horrible coaching, weapons and OL).  This is the only NFL organization he's ever known and we've probably been the worst franchise in the NFL during his time here.  I mean, think about this: Adam Gase was brought in as the guy to develop Sam.  The Jets brass hand-picked the very worst HC in the NFL to develop a guy who is younger than the #1 overall pick this past year.  

7 hours ago, hamat711 said:

WTF is a rushing QB? Last time I checked, they play the same position and rushing yards count the same as passing yards. Also I highly doubt Darnold would do anything close to what Allen is doing if he were on the Bills.......

Darnold keeps on making the same mistakes. He is a turnover machine. He keeps throwing off his backfoot even when there is no pressure. He has accuracy issues which stem from poor footwork. He routinely bails from a clean pocket. This makes his O-line look worse. Shell and Beachum are doing just fine on other teams, so all signs point to Sam being the problem. Just look at his draft profile. https://www.nfl.com/prospects/sam-darnold/32194441-5246-6141-9e5c-6e7d32a03e33 Many of his strengths have diminished and none of his weaknesses have been addressed.

What Elite trait does Darnold have? His ability to improvise was his biggest strength, but that is greatly off-set by is tendency to turn it over. Despite it being his best trait, he still isn't even a top 10 improviser in the league.

I think Darnold can be successful, but he has been the worst starting QB over the last 3 years.

Mitch Trubisky in his first 26 games produced 6085 yards, 36 TDs and 25 Turnovers and completed 63% of his passes

Sam Darnold in his first 26 games produced 6089 yards, 39 TDs and 33 Turnvoers and completed 59% of his passes

I mainly judge a QB based on throwing. Rushing is secondary. 

Okay, and I highly doubt Allen would be doing anything close to what he is doing on the Bills if he was here. Development and supporting a young QB matters big time. Darnold may have been a bust regardless, but the Jets absolutely did him no favors in terms of development and support.

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

I mainly judge a QB based on throwing. Rushing is secondary. 

Okay, and I highly doubt Allen would be doing anything close to what he is doing on the Bills if he was here. Development and supporting a young QB matters big time. Darnold may have been a bust regardless, but the Jets absolutely did him no favors in terms of development and support.

Darnold and Allen had similar talent in their sophomore years and Allen still did much better. Cole+Brown = Crowder+Robbie. The Jets line was slightly worse, but alot of that was due Darnolds poor pocket prescence.

On 11/27/2020 at 10:36 AM, CTJetsFan said:

I haven't reached the tipping point yet.

I said before the season started that I wouldn't/couldn't evaluate him (factoring in the Gase damage) until I saw him play with the full complement of weapons that JD intended for him to have. Not the Smiths, Hogans and Berrios of the world. That has yet to happen for a full game

However - there was a brief period last week where I thought he was bowing out on the season when he seemed ok with not playing vs SD. Almost lost me there but he's supposedly playing this week which tells me last week was truly shoulder related.

The 3 WRs and Becton are back (although I thought I heard Herndon may be out). Next few games will tell me a lot.

That being said, I do feel that if we end up with the #1 pick, we need to draft a QB. The economics of football (rookie contract scale & Darnold's 5th year option) dictate that. At worst, we have a potential franchise QB in the stable and the Darnold era is over. At best, we have that plus a Sam Darnold who has increased his market value by looking better the last 6 weeks of the season and is under contract with us for 1 more year.

Ok - Now I've reached my tipping point. I think it's time to move on and start preparations for life after Darnold. Very disappointing

3 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Darnold is going to be good for another team and it's going to haunt us. I wish we could have seen darnold develop without gase, I do wonder if things would have been different for us.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

Why do Jets fans fear something that has never happened and not something that’s happened a lot?  In this instance, passing on a QB who turns out to be great because we need to “see what we have” in our incompetent QB again.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Darnold is going to be good for another team and it's going to haunt us. I wish we could have seen darnold develop without gase, I do wonder if things would have been different for us.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

I don’t think there’s ever been a QB in NFL history who had stats as bad as Darnold’s in his first three years who then went on to be “good.” Talent usually finds a way to show itself in that span of time, no matter who the coach. Other than having a knack for making some nice off-script plays now and then, he hasn’t been good at anything. He’s worse than Geno Smith and Mark Sanchez, which is mind blowing. 

• Upvote 3